Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

18XX but with jacobin uprisings

(note: have not actually played any 18XX)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

A game where I'm Klemens von Metternich sitting alone in a dark room all day making decisions with limited to no information except a series of poorly written memos and a globe that's updated every six months

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

LF seems like a pretty good economic policy if you first manually build up a decent industrial core under state capitalism or planned economy, then switch to LF for the growth. You might say you need to make your economy "too big to fail"

Kicking Away The Ladder

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

money is created and destroyed magically,

As far as I know the only way money is created is from gold mining, and the only way it's destroyed is a bug in the interest payments on national debts, which can't be very much. Every time you pay out money for railways for example you are actually setting aside a chunk of money and buying resources from RGOs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fintilgin posted:

I mean, I'd design a system like the economy as a game, not a simulation. With fun, human comprehensible systems. Design it out like a board game you could prototype and play in the office for feedback, like it was Sid Meiers Civilization or a turn-based rpg ruleset. Target goal: Victorian economy and industry in a fun way where the player can make meaningful decisions and input. Then you enhance it a bit knowing the computer can handle all the busy work.

I wouldn't design it as a simulation where zillions of individual pops all try to satisfy dozens of life needs, money is created and destroyed magically, and the people who designed it don't even know how it works.

Vicky fans would hate me because I think a lot of them enjoy the illusion of reality provided by a totally broke complex sim. It's got all those numbers, it must be more realistic!

EDIT: I mean, I get how it's cool as a thing, like watching clockwork or an antfarm or whatever, but that doesn't necessarily make for a good game.

That sounds boring as gently caress so I don't think you practice what you preach here.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sounds boring as gently caress so I don't think you practice what you preach here.

This is funny because he's describing basically how all the other Paradox games are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fellblade posted:

This is funny because he's describing basically how all the other Paradox games are.

I mean if you have never played one sure.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you have never played one sure.

You can disagree I guess but EU is literally a board game with more moving parts due to being on PC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yes if you isolate one phrase that could work.

I will use the whole post tho personally.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fellblade posted:

You can disagree I guess but EU is literally a board game with more moving parts due to being on PC.
Congrats on describing most strategy games and many RPGs.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yes if you isolate one phrase that could work.

I will use the whole post tho personally.

Sorry you think meaningful input and decisions are boring?

There's no other points in the post other than not having millions of pops.

So 2/3?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Congrats on describing most strategy games and many RPGs.

Yep that was the point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Sorry you think meaningful input and decisions are boring?

There's no other points in the post other than not having millions of pops.

So 2/3?

Yeah having the ability to do that in everything is terribly boring. It's one of the problems I have with Civ which seems to be the game that the op wants.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah having the ability to do that in everything is terribly boring. It's one of the problems I have with Civ which seems to be the game that the op wants.

I don't even know what to say to that. So I guess I'm done.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's cute, but you never started.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

disjoe posted:

A game where I'm Klemens von Metternich sitting alone in a dark room all day making decisions with limited to no information except a series of poorly written memos and a globe that's updated every six months

so star wars rebellion but with a ui that doesn't feel like walking on glass shards while blindfolded?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

wukkar posted:

It had two flaws:

- The status-quo result when the aggressor had great powers backing it, but no great power stepped up for the defender.

- Not being able to bribe great powers to your side by promising them your own stuff. Ex: Plombières Agreement

They fixed the first problem over last year's christmas break. Now if no one backs the defender the aggressor's demands are immediately enforced.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

v2 is good and distinct because it isn't eu in a different time frame. gamifying the economy would make v3 pointless; the turmoil of the economy and impossibility of controlling the unleashed beast of capital is a key part of the themes present in the gameplay, which are a reflection of the victorian era itself

it just needs to be controllable by the dev team with the assumption that the dude who wrote it won't necessarily be around forever to explain the code, so that the game can produce more plausible outcomes than the v2 economy does

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I dont play Vicky to have fun, I play Vicky in order to see how I can accidentally crash the world economy this time.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

double nine posted:

so star wars rebellion but with a ui that doesn't feel like walking on glass shards while blindfolded?

The good old days.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They say the Great Depression of 1900 was caused when the People's Democratic Republic of kwaZulu bought up all the wine in the world.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

v2 is good and distinct because it isn't eu in a different time frame. gamifying the economy would make v3 pointless; the turmoil of the economy and impossibility of controlling the unleashed beast of capital is a key part of the themes present in the gameplay, which are a reflection of the victorian era itself

it just needs to be controllable by the dev team with the assumption that the dude who wrote it won't necessarily be around forever to explain the code, so that the game can produce more plausible outcomes than the v2 economy does

best thing of victoria is the complex demographic system (which i hope paradox fixes and refines for v3) where you can see the filthy peasants become a bunch of communist revolutionaries in real time, simply because you let them get educated and develop class consciousness. or have veterans of a war you lost become fascists etc. etc. and see how different pops become assimilated into the metropole given different policies and all that other cool poo poo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fututor Magnus posted:

best thing of victoria is the complex demographic system (which i hope paradox fixes and refines for v3) where you can see the filthy peasants become a bunch of communist revolutionaries in real time, simply because you let them get educated and develop class consciousness. or have veterans of a war you lost become fascists etc. etc. and see how different pops become assimilated into the metropole given different policies and all that other cool poo poo.

My biggest disappointment with Stellaris was when I realized didn't copy-paste the vicky demographic system into a science fiction setting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

That's my favorite part of Victoria, too. It's a decent attempt at simulating the sociological and demographic changes of the time, and there's no other game series out there that does that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

double nine posted:

My biggest disappointment with Stellaris was when I realized didn't copy-paste the vicky demographic system into a science fiction setting.

Unironically this.

Although I do think that a potential V3 could probably do away with pops as the exact representation of specific population units but demographics are key. I don't need to know that there are 200 communist polish protestant artisans in Berlin but I do need to know that in Berlin 2% of the population are communist and 10% are Polish, or whatever. Yeah this loses some of the specific verisimlitude of the previous games but it would drop a huge level of complexity in the simulation as well as potentially being easier for the player to understand.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Unironically this.

Although I do think that a potential V3 could probably do away with pops as the exact representation of specific population units but demographics are key. I don't need to know that there are 200 communist polish protestant artisans in Berlin but I do need to know that in Berlin 2% of the population are communist and 10% are Polish, or whatever. Yeah this loses some of the specific verisimlitude of the previous games but it would drop a huge level of complexity in the simulation as well as potentially being easier for the player to understand.

But how would you do migration in this system? If, say, 2000 of the 200,000 POPs in the province are emigrating or just going to another province, how do you determine the new ratios in Berlin? You couldn't know how many Communists or Poles had left.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GrossMurpel posted:

But how would you do migration in this system? If, say, 2000 of the 200,000 POPs in the province are emigrating or just going to another province, how do you determine the new ratios in Berlin? You couldn't know how many Communists or Poles had left.

One possible concept for this that I just thought up; the province has a certain 'attraction' to various ideologies etc. and if the game decided that migration is going to happen out of the province it is weighted to be inversely proportional to those attractions.

I just feel like moving the focus from individual pops to demographics on a per-province level would give the game a similar feel while being hugely easier to understand (and mechanically less complex)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is it an issue though? I've never really thought of the pops system as too complex (for the player), it's pretty intuitive and even specific promoting of pops to different types is fairly simple. It's stuff like elections and the economy that make loving no sense and have absolutely no way of making sense.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think that the pop screen has a few too many layers deep to be really intuitive to a player -- it actually took me a while before I tried clicking on a pop and brought up the screen that showed what factors contributed to it promoting or demoting and what goods it demanded. Having it break down as actual numbers of people with individual preferences and political alignments, though, made it feel really tangible, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo, peeps that play EUIV; have the content packs been good stuff?

Because looking over at CK2, there's so many little things I feel like they could add that would be more like the stuff in Stellaris, like the robot or leviathan ones, rather than big expansions like Jade Dragon or Utopia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Unironically this.

So, the game would know that 2% are communist and 10% are Polish, but not what kind of overlap there was between the two groups? That seems like it'd undermine a lot of interesting dynamics, like preventing discrimination along culture or religious lines manifesting itself in political affiliation. Or even dumber, making discrimination against for example Catholic Poles trigger a general "Religious Persecution" response and make 10% of the population in a province separatist, which the game would not know if applied to the German Protestants, German Catholics, Polish Protestants, or Polish Catholics because all it could say was that 10% of the population was now separatist. I really think pops have a lot of value in terms of the kind of dynamics they allow for, so scrapping them entirely would be a mistake in my eyes.

That said, the game could probably do with a pruning mechanic, to get rid of minor pops that don't do much beyond adding computations. I reiterate an old suggestion of mine here, but having assimilation be a much stronger effect would really cut down on end-game lag. Obviously it should then also be much smarter than simply assimilating into the culture of the state, rather assimilating into local populations which have a core on the province in question, in proportion to their representation in the province. The controlling country should probably get a bonus here, which could scale according to policies.

Alternatively, or on top of, perhaps a "Minority" culture could be added which very small pops could assimilate into, which consolidates all the various tiny immigrant groups so they don't take up an inordinate amount of computational power - while still allowing for them to exist as a politically relevant factor. If you wanted a bit more verisimilitude, dividing it along "racial" lines might work - so "Asian Minority", "European Minority" and so on. You'd probably get more out of that if race as a concept was a bigger deal in-game though, otherwise it'd be purely flavor.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 30, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This turn based mech strategy game thing paradox is publishing looks pretty good, I didn't know about it and never played any other games in this apparently long running setting but i'm excited about it now.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

[Cut for length].

I'm curious, could you actually discriminate people in Vicky beyond the citizenship policies? The entire pop part of the game was a black box to me for all the direct influence I had on them, it was hard enough to get them to change ideologies via national focus and even then it didn't always work. Outside of events I don't even remember being able to change accepted POPs, which seems like an oversight when you consider how promoting one ethnicity over another so they oppress the other locals for you is colonialism 101.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Vicky 2 does have population demographic pie charts, it's just that AFAIK the charts are so disorganized as to be near-unreadable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Don Gato posted:

I'm curious, could you actually discriminate people in Vicky beyond the citizenship policies? The entire pop part of the game was a black box to me for all the direct influence I had on them, it was hard enough to get them to change ideologies via national focus and even then it didn't always work. Outside of events I don't even remember being able to change accepted POPs, which seems like an oversight when you consider how promoting one ethnicity over another so they oppress the other locals for you is colonialism 101.

Nope, accepted cultures were country specific.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Groogy posted:

According to our bug database, I fixed it in June.

Just a heads-up for you: I'm about 150 years into a fresh game with an immortal ruler & heir, both mobilized.

The ruler death thing has indeed been fixed - Thank you! - however, the immortal trait on heirs still seems to be non-functional, as previously reported. My heir is 83 years old as of this writing, and even with constant reloading, he keeps dying practically every month.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

This turn based mech strategy game thing paradox is publishing looks pretty good, I didn't know about it and never played any other games in this apparently long running setting but i'm excited about it now.
There is a whole thread about it and thousands and thousands of turbo-grognard franchise fanboys. Welcome!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Vicky 2 does have population demographic pie charts, it's just that AFAIK the charts are so disorganized as to be near-unreadable.
Yeah, a lot could be done in terms of presentation alone, changing up assimilation and consolidating pops a bit would help even more, on top of improving the technical side of things.

Don Gato posted:

That's definitely something I'd like to see. Like, imagine that non-culture/religion pops were represented as factions that you could directly interact with. In terms of interface and game play, I'd probably group colonial states up in a similar fashion to how non-capital connected regions are named in EU4, and then these regions would appear in a "Subjects" tab where you could do see the various active factions in the colony - the challenge being to prevent them from joining together into a big independence seeking faction, which you could do through various interactions. Actually, the same idea could probably work in your core territories too, playing off various minor factions against each other in an attempt to prevent them from joining together into some united revolutionary front.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There is a whole thread about it and thousands and thousands of turbo-grognard franchise fanboys. Welcome!

Link?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

poo poo I forgot to crtl+v, sorry.

Thank you Nickiepoo!