Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like how he punches him with the ungloved hand. You don't even deserve to get punched by the gauntlet tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

drat i do kinda want to see thanos just lay waste to the avengers in a straight-up brawl

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

Blade runner?

Why isnt squirrel girl beating thanos wtf

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Blade runner?

All green/blue screen effects with actors looks so, so much worse in HD.

That being said, exteriors are loving gorgeous. I remember being blown away watching From Russia With Love on blu-ray and how awesome Istanbul looked.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bring back old gbs posted:

This fuggin thread, of course you don't appreciate thanos walking out of a portal wearing a golden wifebeater, not even pretending anybody in front of him is a threat.

:qq:wheres his gollldddddd hat he looked better beforrr

Golden wifebeater aside, he looks like Bruce Willis, but chubby and purple, and with a chin that looks like a scrotum :colbert:

Serf
May 5, 2011

teagone posted:

Golden wifebeater aside, he looks like Bruce Willis, but chubby and purple, and with a chin that looks like a scrotum :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NPw3WvpRL8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Blade runner?

Because her TV show was supposed to be on Freeform but Marvel decided it's better elsewhere. They haven't announced a new channel yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Post credit sequence of Thanos carrying a printer for three miles.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

poo poo man i got my foot cut off and i was walking around inside 2 months and that was 20 years ago. bet we get a tiny scene where rhodey complains about the thing's fit or a joke about a malfunction and that's it

Why did you cut off your foot

Brother Entropy posted:

if marvel made movies as good as nintendo made games you'd be onto something here

Avengers Katamari

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

All green/blue screen effects with actors looks so, so much worse in HD.

That being said, exteriors are loving gorgeous. I remember being blown away watching From Russia With Love on blu-ray and how awesome Istanbul looked.

I've been wondering when studios are going to go back and re-composite footage for re-releases like Lucas did with Star Wars. The vast majority movie buyers would care more about the cleaned up effects than the loss of movie history, and it'd be their wallets that count.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/936055698743427077

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
He looks more like Josh Brolin to me.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Infinity War looks loving AWESOME :hellyeah:

Serf
May 5, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Why did you cut off your foot

i got into a fight with a barbed wire fence and lost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Serf posted:

i got into a fight with a barbed wire fence and lost

RIP

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think I really get what's so cool about Thanks and hope the movie version isn't like the comic version you're describing.

"He's so powerful he can kill anything! He's stronger than the hulk and smarter than Tony Stark, he doesn't even need reality shaping gems to kill half the universe! He's gonna kill like 57 avengers it's gonna be awesome!"

Like, ok, I hope not, that sounds kinda boring.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You don't understand! He's a nihilist who secretly hates himself and always loses because he constantly self-sabotages! He's the most relatable villain in comics!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the comics he's kind of a short pudge, like Danny DeVito should be acting and voicing him. Like a linebacker.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think I really get what's so cool about Thanks and hope the movie version isn't like the comic version you're describing.

"He's so powerful he can kill anything! He's stronger than the hulk and smarter than Tony Stark, he doesn't even need reality shaping gems to kill half the universe! He's gonna kill like 57 avengers it's gonna be awesome!"

Like, ok, I hope not, that sounds kinda boring.

The best part is that he's also a petulant child that's a huge moron and actively cheats even when trying not to just to try and make some kind of strangled point to Death, in between making sexy female versions of himself to jerk off about and try to make Death jealous like the teenage boy that he is.

And then they try and spin his defeat of being *REALLY loving STUPID AND A COLOSSAL MORON* into him not actually WANTING to win and letting others beat him subconsciously because he's so great and awesome and totally fuckable that he couldn't be beaten any other way

This is why Darkseid is objectively the superior villain of the two. Darkseid is a goofy rear end goof master made by Jack Kirby to be comic book Hitler with the most evil things ever. He's Space Satan in every way you could want, from his name to his planet to his followers to his beliefs.

He's also a mini skirt wearing loon that has been crashing on people's chairs and couches since the mid 80s. Seriously, look up Darkseid on a couch- the most famous one, Mary Marvel, isn't even in the top 5.

Darkseid's greatest nemesis besides Superman, the bane of his existence that he has had a personal vendetta against for centuries, is Santa Claus.

Thanos is one writer's wank material about how great and awesome he is and the few moments of glorious stupidity that he has, the Thanoscopter or Squirrel Girl defeating him, are meant to mock and rob him of his much vaunted dignity.

Darkseid just rolls with it. Dignity, acting like you're better than everyone else, who gives a poo poo. What matters is how you do it, not how much the writer can jerk you off.

Darkseid's defeat in the Superman Animated Series, with his slaves saving him from Superman and taking him to get medical help, has more weight and impact than anything Thanos has ever done.

If they really have eliminated Thanos' quest to bone Death, and I hope to Christ they haven't, then that would be the single biggest mistake they could make.

You don't make characters like Thanos and Darkseid work by making them super serious and unbeatable. You make them work by embracing the goofy poo poo with the serious.

This is why I hate the golden armor being taken away- BECAUSE IT'S GOOFY AS poo poo.

He's wearing bright shiney gold and purple armor, that's ridiculous. What he's wearing now is way more serious in a literal sense.

You don't dial down the camp to make him a better villain. You ratchet that poo poo up and play it straight

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You don't understand! He's a nihilist who secretly hates himself and always loses because he constantly self-sabotages! He's the most relatable villain in comics!

The way he's presented, and Jim Starlin's storytelling style in general, is very much in the mode of Greek tragedy. The Infinity Gauntlet basically takes place on an amphitheater floating in space. Thanos is great, but it's not something comes across through plot description.

Burkion posted:

You don't dial down the camp to make him a better villain. You ratchet that poo poo up and play it straight

This is exactly right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The way he's presented, and Jim Starlin's storytelling style in general, is very much in the mode of Greek tragedy. The Infinity Gauntlet basically takes place on an amphitheater floating in space. Thanos is great, but it's not something comes across through plot description.

In that specific story he works relatively fine.

As a whole, Jim Sterling has done too much damage to him. There's a reason why the Squirrel Girl thing happened.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That Infinity War trailer sucked. Like, I'm a dumb idiot who usually gets psyched for any competently made trailer I see but that one was just somehow boring and flat and uninspiring.

Maybe it's all the shots where they crammed All The People in the frame. Maybe it's the plot beats (like Vision getting the stone ripped out of his head) that have been forecast for literal years.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i like the weirdly unadorned thanos. a real workin' class villain. rolls up his sleeves and punches the cyrpto-facistapitalist avengers in the face, now for 2000 words on how tony stark represents the gentrif

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So if Thanos already has the power stone why doesn't he just immediately scorch the planet with it and search for the remaining stones in the wreckage?

I guess maybe the idea is that he isn't totally evil and would theoretically leave in peace if they handed over the stones?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Trailer is kind of meh. The running sequence is lame. Have hopes tho.

A legit heist movie and a working class wife beater Thanos tearing things up with his crew is an okay thing on a base level but I’m hoping for some weirdness.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still don't get why blockbuster movie soundtracks are so poo poo nowadays. When did that knowledge get lost?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Basil Poledouris died is what happened

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still don't get why blockbuster movie soundtracks are so poo poo nowadays. When did that knowledge get lost?

Argument by Tony Zhou: too much reliance on temp tracks
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Alternate argument by Dan Golding: not temp tracks, it's the computerized workflow
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

I lean towards Dan Golding's argument

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Burkion posted:

The best part is that he's also a petulant child that's a huge moron and actively cheats even when trying not to just to try and make some kind of strangled point to Death, in between making sexy female versions of himself to jerk off about and try to make Death jealous like the teenage boy that he is.

And then they try and spin his defeat of being *REALLY loving STUPID AND A COLOSSAL MORON* into him not actually WANTING to win and letting others beat him subconsciously because he's so great and awesome and totally fuckable that he couldn't be beaten any other way

This is why Darkseid is objectively the superior villain of the two. Darkseid is a goofy rear end goof master made by Jack Kirby to be comic book Hitler with the most evil things ever. He's Space Satan in every way you could want, from his name to his planet to his followers to his beliefs.

He's also a mini skirt wearing loon that has been crashing on people's chairs and couches since the mid 80s. Seriously, look up Darkseid on a couch- the most famous one, Mary Marvel, isn't even in the top 5.

Darkseid's greatest nemesis besides Superman, the bane of his existence that he has had a personal vendetta against for centuries, is Santa Claus.

Thanos is one writer's wank material about how great and awesome he is and the few moments of glorious stupidity that he has, the Thanoscopter or Squirrel Girl defeating him, are meant to mock and rob him of his much vaunted dignity.

Darkseid just rolls with it. Dignity, acting like you're better than everyone else, who gives a poo poo. What matters is how you do it, not how much the writer can jerk you off.

Darkseid's defeat in the Superman Animated Series, with his slaves saving him from Superman and taking him to get medical help, has more weight and impact than anything Thanos has ever done.

If they really have eliminated Thanos' quest to bone Death, and I hope to Christ they haven't, then that would be the single biggest mistake they could make.

You don't make characters like Thanos and Darkseid work by making them super serious and unbeatable. You make them work by embracing the goofy poo poo with the serious.

This is why I hate the golden armor being taken away- BECAUSE IT'S GOOFY AS poo poo.

He's wearing bright shiney gold and purple armor, that's ridiculous. What he's wearing now is way more serious in a literal sense.

I can't possible agree more with this post! You are 1000% right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Steve Yun posted:

Argument by Tony Zhou: too much reliance on temp tracks
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Alternate argument by Dan Golding: not temp tracks, it's the computerized workflow
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

I lean towards Dan Golding's argument

:same:

Some great movie soundtracks came from tempt tracks, like 2001 or Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

People realized you can just make noise and get a feel rather than an actual emotion. I still think they exist, but apparently I'm weird af so I dunno.

Elfman's Justice League score is the blandest of the year, but my favorite might be Kingsmen 2's actually. It's such a blast to listen too, especially this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZQgAaSpjE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought Apewar had a really drat jaunty soundtrack.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a good score, yeah. My only issue, is that this motif wasn't in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0AyuTPpZo&t=212s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah I like that melody. It's not just tuneless riffing on Goldsmith.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I can get hyped for the trailer because we all deep down knew it was going to be a slugfest and we're just seeing the expected epic points and not the undercurrents of the plot (I hope). They have to sell the masses.

The Russos have done a solid job with Winter Soldier and Civil War to setup where the Avengers are for Infinity War.

If they're framing Infinity War as a heist movie, I hope we get a Snatch opening credits I could see the first act being Thanos-focused with the Guardians on his trail as he steals the Power gem from Nova and perhaps the Reality stone from The Collector - we didn't see his thumb with the Gauntlet, he may have it - before he even shows up at the end of Ragnarok. It's at this point that "Asgard" is attacked and Loki gives Thanos the Space gem. Thor ends up with the Guardians and somehow Banner gets back to earth. Banner probably tells the Avengers (well at least Stark and Strange) of the coming threat just as the ship / Thanos arrive.

Thanos turned his attention to Earth because he knows the Mind gem is there and figures out or sense that the the others are there. My best guess is Wakanda probably has the Soul gem.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At the start of the trailer Tony is holding the hand of a (presumably) dead person in the ruins of a building. I wonder if Pepper is getting killed off, probably by Stark Tower being destroyed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bring back the fuggin' melodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6O2nSOMlI

Half a dozen leitmotifs strung together into a five minute long unbroken choochoo train of melody, that's the stuff, man

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It was a good score, yeah. My only issue, is that this motif wasn't in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0AyuTPpZo&t=212s

It's probably because this movie was riffing hard on The Grey Zone, but it's the first one of the three that I didn't find all kinds of unintentionally funny. Muppety-looking gorillas with machine guns I just found funny.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
any good heist movie needs a 'putting together the team' montage. i think that they will reveal that logan lucky takes place in the mcu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Bring back the fuggin' melodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6O2nSOMlI

Half a dozen leitmotifs strung together into a five minute long unbroken choochoo train of melody, that's the stuff, man

I bought this on UHD for $13 on Black Friday

That score in DTS X is :mario:

And the movie looks gorgeous, too.

(It's also fifteen minutes straight of music, from Elliot getting onto the van to the credit roll.)

• Locked thread