Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You know the drill by now. 5-10 taskforces taking it in turns to get shelled.

They are doing their best to stop things from getting stale though!

The Santos Maru's luck runs out.

We seem to be heading for mutually assured destruction.

One of our subs takes some hits.

The only thing that could save these guys now is an ancient army of terracotta effigies rising from the ground. Shame no one ever made such a thing.

Ground combat has gotten more interest all of a sudden, I'm winning one and losing one.

Ten points for a patrol boat? What was it, gold plated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What's that Chinese base northwest of Ichang? It seems like they've held it forever.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

29 November 1943

Leaving Milne Bay, the American destroyer Perkins is run down and cut in half by the Australian troopship Duntroon about 0200 hours.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

29 November 1943

Leaving Milne Bay, the American destroyer Perkins is run down and cut in half by the Australian troopship Duntroon about 0200 hours.

I looked up the Duntroon to see if there was any interesting story behind this beyond a nighttime collision, and it turns out that Duntroon also ran down and cut in half the minesweeper HMAS Goorangai in 1940. Goorangai was the first RAN loss of the war, as well as the first RAN surface vessel to be lost in wartime.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 29, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Duntroon sounds like a real rear end in a top hat

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I think this leaves the Nevada as the last PH Battleship to be a question mark.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Duntroon sounds like a real rear end in a top hat

She was probably just unlucky; the boards of inquiry (both Australian and American) exonerated the captain of Duntroon in each incident.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Duntroon is also the name of Australia's premier military college: https://www.army.gov.au/taxonomy/term/132

Known, amongst other things, for Woofering.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I looked up the Duntroon to see if there was any interesting story behind this beyond a nighttime collision, and it turns out that Duntroon also ran down and cut in half the minesweeper HMAS Goorangai in 1940. Goorangai was the first RAN loss of the war, as well as the first RAN surface vessel to be lost in wartime.

Darkly humorous. You know, I've been doing these for over a year now and I think that may be only the third or so sinking by collision I've posted. That's one unlucky ship.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
At this point in the war the USN should have a number of big fleet carriers out, and yet it seems like we haven't seen any of them, just a number of CVLs and CVEs. I wonder where they all are hiding?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

You know, I've been doing these for over a year now

Thanks for doing this, I enjoy reading them. :thumbsup:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Darkly humorous. You know, I've been doing these for over a year now and I think that may be only the third or so sinking by collision I've posted. That's one unlucky ship.

If you want more stories about an Australian ship accidentally cutting two smaller ships in half, then boy, do I have the ship for you!

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 30, 2017

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for doing this, I enjoy reading them. :thumbsup:

Happy to oblige. It's a nice perspective on the intensity of the war at sea.

Coucho Marx posted:

If you want more stories about an Australian ship accidentally cutting two smaller ships in half, then boy, do I have the ship for you!

I guess the Aussies really RAN with the idea of bisecting smaller ships. :rimshot:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hard to shake the habits ingrained by a youth spent recreationally running over roos in your truck

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Apparently the wreck of the Fuso class ship, Yamashiro has been found:

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/posts/1524871507548325

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Welcome to your morning hate.

I do think we'll be seeing a number of these ships on the kill board over the next few months.

Now she looks like a nice, big, modern ship. As a Englishman, I feel the need to make a joke about tea.

The AI's own Operation Reef.

The forts and our greater numbers allow us to hold out nicely. I think the threat period is over here.

I'm going to assume this loss is pilot error and not enemy fire.

The forts at Sian are collapsing quickly now.

They keep sitting there in front of my guns, don't they!

We confirm a big kill.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If that sinking is legitimate then the Allies are getting hilariously close to having lost all of the Pearl Harbour and SoDak battleships.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I refuse to believe it. She came back from the dead once already, she can do it again.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

SkySteak posted:

Apparently the wreck of the Fuso class ship, Yamashiro has been found:

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/posts/1524871507548325

They could see the superstructure poking out of the water.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on the sinking! That's one dead BB, and hopefully the CA will be in port for awhile.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Nooooooo, not one of my beautiful beaufighters

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We continue to trade fire.

Okay, THAT looks like a fleet carrier or two – both Butais are already on their way to support the insertion of fresh troops to Juliut. So this could be it folks!

The attack is a shambles.

That's more like it.

We have positive combat odds, and it looks like they only have non-combat troops on the line.

The AI just doesn't seem to be able to get the ground war right.

One of their battleships is still afloat. Curses.

Hmm , Graph time!

We have not properly eclipsed the AI's score for the first time, but we are keeping the Allied AI in check – their main points sources are shot down airplanes and sub kills.

While I was properly on the fight back, the AI has yet to launch a successful invasion on anywhere with more than a token defence force.

Our losses are rising, but remain replacable.

I remembered to grab this one ahead of time, you can see we are sending out a good number of planes a month. Our pools could be better in some key models, but they are the ones that are in heavy use.

Those poor, poor Allied grave diggers!

Their ship losses show no sign of slowing down. Which is a good thing!

I need to catch up in value though – they have been keeping their big ships at home, but it looks like I may have a chance of getting one this month.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

About how many actual casualties have you inflicted? Or is it too abstract to estimate that?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Grey Hunter posted:

Okay, THAT looks like a fleet carrier or two – both Butais are already on their way to support the insertion of fresh troops to Juliut. So this could be it folks!

Finally, we will crush the Americans in THE DECISIVE BATTLE and force them to the negotiating table! :black101:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I asked this before but I think it got stuck at the bottom of a page: why isn't there more land-based air around the Marshalls? Seems like it could really be a threat to the allies with how many resources they are devoting to this campaign.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Good ol' Claudes on the frontline going into 1944.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Good ol' Claudes on the frontline going into 1944.

I believe in God, and God believes in Claude

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
In Claude we trust

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

All my money's riding on us losing at least two fleet carriers during this op (well, by 1944).

Don't dissapoint me, combined fleet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The fools! They've killed the garrison down to where supplies are plentiful!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

megane posted:

About how many actual casualties have you inflicted? Or is it too abstract to estimate that?

I don't think this game distinguishes between individual soldiers who are killed, and individual solders who are simply casualties. Actually I think it only operates at the "squad" level, with squads "disabled" or "destroyed" and no further information beyond that as to the disposition of the soldiers who made up that squad.

Not that I've ever played this game, mind you, that's just what I've gathered from observation.

e. It does track individual pilots, mind you, and you can see pilots who are MIA/KIA. But then it also does not track sailors at all.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Where'd the 24th destroyed vehicle come from if they only attacked with 23 vehicles?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the japanese found a random civilian vehicle and blew it up too, just for good measure

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Midbattle they cludged together a vehicle with spare parts from all the dead ones.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Grey you monster one of those jeeps was pregnant!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Shame you didn't get the Tennessee, hopefully she's in dry dock for awhile. Good luck getting a coupleof the USN carriers if you can get into the area - how many active CV's are in the Butais as opposed to ones in dry dock o refit?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Do you have subs in that area? A torpedo in one of those carriers would be pretty sweet right now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So, What's the Operation called and how does it massivly overly complicate and mess up what should be a straight forward deployment that assumes the American's will walk into the trap? You can't have an IJN battleplan without that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

All my money's riding on us losing at least two fleet carriers during this op (well, by 1944).

Don't dissapoint me, combined fleet.

I've been incredibly lucky with my carriers this game, and I know it can't last - the fact that I have a viable fleet at the end of 43 means I'm well ahead of the real Japanese navy - even if this turns out to be every carrier they have in a trap.

As long as I can bag an essex or two, while only losing a fleet carrier of my own, I'll be happy at this stage. I'm putting off the inevitable, and I know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Japanese carriers don't sink, they are superior to the fragile tubs that the Americans call carriers. We all know this.

No Japanese carriers will ever sink. Whoever says otherwise will get a job in the mountains, grooming grass. Or participate in a banzai charge in Alaska.