Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Didn't farscape literally poison blue woman with her makeup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kitchner posted:

This is farscape you're going to have to narrow that down a little.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Well... Australia was the source of the infamous "asbestos shoveling competition" photo. So I guess they've always been a little lax on their toxic materials regulation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chomp8645 posted:

infamous "asbestos shoveling competition" photo.

*googles*
lol why did i doubt for an instant this was a real thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

Yup. A glance at Wikipedia says the makeup caused Virginia Hey's kidneys to bleed :barf:. Also for some reason I thought she'd passed away, but she's still very much alive.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
As I'm rewatching DS9 most episodes feel familiar, but others don't. Gul Dukat whos been trying to bang Kira for seasons but had a nervous breakdown (which I remember) just skyped Kira to say he hosed her mother. I do not remember this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The season 4 farscape redhead who made Scorpius her sugar daddy was way better than the season 3 screamy bitch

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can’t trick me into watching Farscape, this elaborate troll has gone too far

It’s s garbage show for garbage pale kid people like yourself :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Any interest I may have ever had in Farscape was killed in the early 00s the minute I saw how much the seasons cost on DVD.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

wit posted:

As I'm rewatching DS9 most episodes feel familiar, but others don't. Gul Dukat whos been trying to bang Kira for seasons but had a nervous breakdown (which I remember) just skyped Kira to say he hosed her mother. I do not remember this.

It's the best

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Farscape is just LEXX for normal people.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

a cyberpunk goose posted:

You can’t trick me into watching Farscape, this elaborate troll has gone too far

It’s s garbage show for garbage pale kid people like yourself :colbert:

Shut up and enjoy the dumb show. It has people pretending that muppets are real and it gets sexy.

Junkfist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ2qFmLTUkA This is identical to farscape after the first seasons ffs.

wit fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

wit posted:

Lol DS9 owns

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PYF Dukat moment

Where he shows up on DS9 when they accidentally trigger the civil defence protocol to gloat and brag while drinking a cup of coffee only to then be trapped because even his bosses thought he was a total douchebag

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS.

That being said my favorite Dukat is when he's playing space piracy in apocalypse rising.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

When Dukat is leading the cult and one of his followers gives birth to a baby Dukat and he's all "this is a miracle!" while the lady's husband stands nearby, the wheels slowly turning in his head.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Dukat in the dumb light ship episode sternly warning them it's a bad idea and then when they somehow warp to Cardassians space he shows up like "Ahhh alright you got me this time. Come on, we'll tow you home"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Space Pirate Dukat

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
When the Phophets vaporize the Dominion invasion fleet. "Where ARE they?!?!"

Weyoun: *claps hands together* "Time to start packing!"

E: or was that the female Founder?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 29, 2017

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in season 4 i think their goal was to make dukat a good guy, which he basically was beginning even on the season premiere where he is fighting side by side with garak and they make a big point about it. but that ended because i think everyone thought it was stupid, especially nana visitor who was against her character having a relationship with space hitler. when he is revealed to be bad again the first thing he says is, "us on the same side didn't seem right, did it?" which is probably what the writers were saying all along.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

i wonder if the bajorans ever wondered why the prophets could do this and just let them suffer at the hands of the cardassians or they just accepted it on the grounds of the will of the prophets. somehow i think that would be less problematic to their religion than "the gods can only do their miracles inside their black hole."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hipster_Doofus posted:

E: or was that the female Founder?

Dukat proved himself the superior strategist but then got cheated of his victory.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i wonder if the bajorans ever wondered why the prophets could do this and just let them suffer at the hands of the cardassians or they just accepted it on the grounds of the will of the prophets. somehow i think that would be less problematic to their religion than "the gods can only do their miracles inside their black hole."

If only Kirk were still alive. He'd have told those wormhole aliens what's what.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

in season 4 i think their goal was to make dukat a good guy, which he basically was beginning even on the season premiere where he is fighting side by side with garak and they make a big point about it. but that ended because i think everyone thought it was stupid, especially nana visitor who was against her character having a relationship with space hitler. when he is revealed to be bad again the first thing he says is, "us on the same side didn't seem right, did it?" which is probably what the writers were saying all along.

I thought the deal with Dukat was that he always believed he was a good guy.

So he's happy to cooperate with the main cast because he doesn't see them as enemies, just rivals. Sisco is doing his best to help the Bajoran people, and no one understands how hard that is better than Ducat. Ducat would at times like to act as a mentor for Sisco, help him to understand the realities of the Bajoran Problem.

Even when he was treating the Bajoran workers harshly, he still believed other Guls would have been even more harsh. And in the end it is for their own good, because the Bajorans are like children, and everyone will be much happier once they accept their natural place as a client species of the Caucasians. It isn't the Cardasians who are making life hard for Bajoran workers, it is the Bajoran terrorists ruining everything. If the terrorists would just stop there wouldn't be a need for all the security and reprisals. He just wants to help.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

So he's happy to cooperate with the main cast because he doesn't see them as enemies, just rivals. Sisco is doing his best to help the Bajoran people, and no one understands how hard that is better than Ducat. Ducat would at times like to act as a mentor for Sisco, help him to understand the realities of the Bajoran Problem.

Even when he was treating the Bajoran workers harshly, he still believed other Guls would have been even more harsh. And in the end it is for their own good, because the Bajorans are like children, and everyone will be much happier once they accept their natural place as a client species of the Caucasians. It isn't the Cardasians who are making life hard for Bajoran workers, it is the Bajoran terrorists ruining everything. If the terrorists would just stop there wouldn't be a need for all the security and reprisals. He just wants to help.

what i meant was that the writers were trying to make him a good guy in the mind of the audience, sort of

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

In the episode where Sisko and Dukat crash on some barren moon there's a lot going on between the two characters and it's a great episode (and also hammy!) but I invoke it in this instance because it is probably the best look you get into Dukat's psyche. He 100% believes he is a hero and martyr, a man who served the Cardassian state loyally and who did the best he could with the Bajoran occupation. I think the thing he most wants out of Sisko is validation, about himself and accomplishments in general and the occupation in particular, considering how much Sisko and Dukat parallel each other in their duties.

Anyway, someone made a video with all these words and more about Dukat that I thought was interesting and now I'm going to link to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHS2CCXVmeU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Junkfist posted:

This, and also there is nothing negative about this statement.

LEXX owns*.

*Offer not valid during the parts of LEXX that do not own. Did you know Dieter Laser of Human Centipede fame was the villain in an early ep?

The only really bad part about Farscape is that the idea train was really out of steam toward the end, and the derailing at the end of the track was inevitable. Although the annoying redhead and dargo's retarded son tried their very hardest to make it suck, but every time I thought they had become unbearable something awesome would happen between John and Scorpius.

Farscape and LEXX both own, and cause me to laugh more heartily than other comedy shows such as Orville and Voyager.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

popewiles posted:

When Dukat is leading the cult and one of his followers gives birth to a baby Dukat and he's all "this is a miracle!" while the lady's husband stands nearby, the wheels slowly turning in his head.

I forgot that Dukat cucked that dude lmao

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I loved when he refused to take the suicide pill with everyone else when he was Jim Jones-ing them. He was all, like, "But, uh, the pah-wraiths have a special destiny for me!"

We were supposed to be, like, "Haha, classic full-of-poo poo Dukat," but at the end of the series it turns out he was right.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Majorly disappointed to not see anyone else put forward "Good morning Kira, I hosed your mother" Dukat yet.

LesterTheNightFly8
Aug 18, 2017

Man, why didn't they ever do anything with the mirror universe Dukat........ they could have made him into the guy he always wanted! A savior for the Terrans. An outspoken civilian senator on the liberal outskirts of the Evil Alliance. poo poo. WOULD. HAVE. BEEN. TITE.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

wit posted:

It is the single greatest moment of television history.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you feel better, Major? I do!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You know Gul Dukat is good when he's not even Gul Dukat and instead pretends to be some dude named Gul Macet and wears some fake sideburns

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

MA-Horus posted:

You know Gul Dukat is good when he's not even Gul Dukat and instead pretends to be some dude named Gul Macet and wears some fake sideburns

Or the smooth poker player speaking french to Data.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Actually just a question about Farscape; Are the widescreen remasters proper derived-from-master recordings extra screen space, or is it that outrageously lovely technique of just zooming in the picture?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A transfer that lets you see 18% less Farscape is a blessing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MA-Horus posted:

Or travelling back in time to hassle mentally unwell Ben about where he stole his suit from.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Or travelling back in time to hassle mentally unwell Ben about where he stole his suit from.

I liked that episode but can't forgive it for being such an obnoxious mary sue of the writing team. Don't you see what heroes scifi writers are? In fact, you might even call them gods. Yes, call them gods from now on, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

wit posted:

I liked that episode but can't forgive it for being such an obnoxious mary sue of the writing team. Don't you see what heroes scifi writers are? In fact, you might even call them gods. Yes, call them gods from now on, nerds.

Imagine that! Hollywood lionizing, worshiping and deifying people doing simple as gently caress jobs for too much money? Good thing it was constrained to that one single episode of DS9.