Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The AI, in fact, was programmed to fall for Illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Am I reading this right, the games have "smart AI" but not everything uses it? :downs:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The AI, in fact, was programmed to fall for Illusion.

At least the ability is justified somehow, then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Avalerion posted:

Am I reading this right, the games have "smart AI" but not everything uses it? :downs:

Yeah. Wild pokemon and basic trainers use a move randomly. Better trainers try to hit weaknesses or at least avoid resistances. Elite trainers/Gym Leaders/E4 will often have actual AI routines where they prioritize set up or use moves that you combo with etc. Also the best AI tends to know how much damage moves do and uses the most damaging ones even if it forgoes being supereffective.

Sometimes the plot legendaries also get the Good AI

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 29, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's a couple of exceptions, like how in wild Double Battles in Unova if the enemy had Wide Guard they would use it EVERY SINGLE TIME WITHOUT EXCEPTION

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Good AI has been a thing since Gen 1. Though back then it was just a binary "If attack=supereffective then USE" thing they added to most trainers to distinguish them against wild pokemon.

It didn't understand a lot of things, like damage vs non-damage, which is why Lance's Dragonite will use Agility infinitely against a poison pokemon. Agility is psychic you see :downs:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think the game needs to fall for Illusion 100% of the time for it to be worth it, plenty of abilities and attacks have no practical application in the campaign. What the heck is Magnet Pull going to be doing for you in PvE? What about Aura Break? Minus???

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I don't think the game needs to fall for Illusion 100% of the time for it to be worth it, plenty of abilities and attacks have no practical application in the campaign. What the heck is Magnet Pull going to be doing for you in PvE? What about Aura Break? Minus???

Illusion is even worse in PvP though

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Countblanc posted:

Actually I've had the a few fights in the game for me make a few switches that surprised me a lot. Hau in general did it a few times.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Illusion is even worse in PvP though

:pwn:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zore posted:

Good AI has been a thing since Gen 1. Though back then it was just a binary "If attack=supereffective then USE" thing they added to most trainers to distinguish them against wild pokemon.

It didn't understand a lot of things, like damage vs non-damage, which is why Lance's Dragonite will use Agility infinitely against a poison pokemon. Agility is psychic you see :downs:

This is the basis of that Lorelei Softlock which was pretty amazing to hear about in R/B.

Basically once you entered the E4 and save, there's no way out besides fainting or winning. If you entered Lorelei with only a Primeape that knows Rage and nothing else, Lorelei's Dewgong will use Rest every turn, and due to how AI works opponents never run out of PP in gen 1. Rage makes you lose control and attack until you faint in gen 1, and doesn't actually consume PP while doing so, which means that you can never actually KO Dewgong and it will always Rest forever.

The caveat is that Rage doesn't trigger the control loss unless it hits, which means in theory you can get out by missing on the 100% = 99.6% accuracy glitch 20/32 times in a row. Good luck!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ultima66 posted:

This is the basis of that Lorelei Softlock which was pretty amazing to hear about in R/B.

Basically once you entered the E4 and save, there's no way out besides fainting or winning. If you entered Lorelei with only a Primeape that knows Rage and nothing else, Lorelei's Dewgong will use Rest every turn, and due to how AI works opponents never run out of PP in gen 1. Rage makes you lose control and attack until you faint in gen 1, and doesn't actually consume PP while doing so, which means that you can never actually KO Dewgong and it will always Rest forever.

The caveat is that Rage doesn't trigger the control loss unless it hits, which means in theory you can get out by missing on the 100% = 99.6% accuracy glitch 20/32 times in a row. Good luck!

There's no reason it has to be in a row. Missing is missing either way.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

YggiDee posted:

Alolan Muk is a solid choice, he's slow as dirt but fabulously patterned. He was probably the most reliable fucker on my Moon team.

I've always liked Muk so Gay Pride Muk was good and strong and my friend and being Dark-typing was super worth it.

Araquanid in the normal SuMo was hella strong, and this time I have Golisopod and holy gently caress this thing is a goddamn monster.

Also, I feel kind of weird having Gyarados, Pupitar, and Shelgon on my team considering they're all first, second, and third gen pokemon, but goddamn if they aren't effective and I've never used one on a LEVELING team (Not used Gyarados on a leveling team since loving FireRed, honestly), so I'm happy with my team.

And Espeon who is my preferred in-game Eeveelution cuz Psychic is so hard to find.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Classtoise posted:

I've always liked Muk so Gay Pride Muk was good and strong and my friend and being Dark-typing was super worth it.

Araquanid in the normal SuMo was hella strong, and this time I have Golisopod and holy gently caress this thing is a goddamn monster.
The fact that there's still a few really good and cool gen 7 pokemon I haven't used yet makes me kinda want to restart Ultra Moon and play it through again. (IE: Golisopod, A-Muk, Lurantis, Drampa, Kommo-o, Bewear, etc)
That, and I need a second poipole for my livingdex.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Yeah, there are not many Pokémon in RSE/FRLG exclusive Safari Balls in circulation. I had a few imported by chance, but I'm not going to bother chasing the others.

What's kind of fun is that you can get Alola Exeggutor, and more interestingly Alola Sandshrew, in the Safari Ball. Not that it really matches the former, but you could probably excuse it for Alola Diglett.

Zore posted:

Its not like there aren't a ton of other renamed abilities. Vital Spirit/Insomnia, Cloud Nine/Airlock, Mold Breaker/Terravolt/Turboblaze, Huge Power/Pure Power, Rough Skin/Iron Barbs and Filter/Solid Rock. :shrug:

Actually Barbs does more damage, at 1/8th v Skin's 1/16th :eng101:

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Golden Gael posted:

Actually Barbs does more damage, at 1/8th v Skin's 1/16th :eng101:

They both do 1/8 except in gen 3, when Iron Barbs did not exist.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

There's no reason it has to be in a row. Missing is missing either way.

Once Rage starts in Gen 1 it will never miss because it bypasses the accuracy check. It has to be in a row.

E: This is of course given the starting condition that Primeape knows no other moves besides Rage. If Primeape has Karate Chop and Rage then of course alternating Rage misses with Karate Chops would not be "missing in a row" but also this condition could break the soft lock if you have a second move that can actually KO the Dewgong.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Golisopod is super good and even a Wimpod with aqua jet is useful!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Necrozma fight is brutal. after 5 OHKOs in a row I was like "hmm maybe you're supposed to lose this one?" but then my Primarina stayed alive cause he loves me so much and I got a move off, so I decided to just spam revives cause gently caress it I'm not letting anyone beat me

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Wow Ultra Ride is infuriating. Even with circle pad.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

indigi posted:

the Necrozma fight is brutal. after 5 OHKOs in a row I was like "hmm maybe you're supposed to lose this one?" but then my Primarina stayed alive cause he loves me so much and I got a move off, so I decided to just spam revives cause gently caress it I'm not letting anyone beat me

I used tyranitar and roto-boosted the gently caress out of it, the true american way

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Wow Ultra Ride is infuriating. Even with circle pad.

I wish the movement control was consistent. I keep trying to tip it left or right when it wants me to rotate the device for L/R and only tip it for up and down.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ROFL Octopus posted:

I used tyranitar and roto-boosted the gently caress out of it, the true american way

Now I'm tempted to bring my Krookodile and kill necrozma with a roto-boosted Power Trip.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dienes posted:

I wish the movement control was consistent. I keep trying to tip it left or right when it wants me to rotate the device for L/R and only tip it for up and down.

Go to the Game Freak office and tell them you'd prefer to use the circle pad instead of motion controls.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
So if your super double-rainbow wormhole has a legendary in it, does it at least have a higher chance of being a shiny?

Gruckles posted:

Go to the Game Freak office and tell them you'd prefer to use the circle pad instead of motion controls.

No one should have to suffer motion controls in a Pokemon game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

rainbow wormholes are always shiny, I think.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm up to Nanu.
His Persian murdered half my team.
While my team was doing 25% damage brick breaks to him.
Does Alolan Golem have some kind of hidden penalty to his stats because I swear every time I expect him to hit something hard he hits it about half as hard as I hoped.
I mean seriously. It's a PERSIAN ffs.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

So I'm up to Nanu.
His Persian murdered half my team.
While my team was doing 25% damage brick breaks to him.
Does Alolan Golem have some kind of hidden penalty to his stats because I swear every time I expect him to hit something hard he hits it about half as hard as I hoped.
I mean seriously. It's a PERSIAN ffs.

Golem has always been kind of weak and Persian has the ability that halves all damage from physical attacks, so it's actually a pretty drat good pokemon now.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

rainbow wormholes are always shiny, I think.

The highest level wormholes are guaranteed to either be a legendary or a shiny. If it's a legendary it just has regular shiny chances that you can soft-reset for if you're so inclined.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ultima66 posted:

Golem has always been kind of weak and Persian has the ability that halves all damage from physical attacks, so it's actually a pretty drat good pokemon now.

I did not realize Persian has Fur Coat. That makes me feel a little better.
I am quickly learning that a slow Rock/Electric type is actually really stupid.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Would someone be willing to trade their Totem Marowak for my Totem Salazzle when I get it? I'm only at 41 stickers so it wouldn't be soon but I thought I'd see if their was someone interested in advanced.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ChrisBTY posted:

I did not realize Persian has Fur Coat. That makes me feel a little better.
I am quickly learning that a slow Rock/Electric type is actually really stupid.

A choice banded galvanize explosion in electric terrain is quite possibly the most heroic move in the game tho

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK so I caught this Dewpider thing, would it be a bad idea to use it instead of Slowpoke? I think it looks hilarious and being Bug/Water means I can abandon Butterfree for something else as well (Cottonee maybe?).

Torracat, Magnemite, and Grimer are pretty much the only 3 Im set on keeping right now so I have 3 spots to play with as I see new stuff. The 4th is currently Hawlucha which I have to love because its a luchador bird but good lord does it ever get wrecked by pretty much anything that can survive its first hit.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Furnaceface posted:

OK so I caught this Dewpider thing, would it be a bad idea to use it instead of Slowpoke? I think it looks hilarious and being Bug/Water means I can abandon Butterfree for something else as well (Cottonee maybe?).

Torracat, Magnemite, and Grimer are pretty much the only 3 Im set on keeping right now so I have 3 spots to play with as I see new stuff. The 4th is currently Hawlucha which I have to love because its a luchador bird but good lord does it ever get wrecked by pretty much anything that can survive its first hit.
Dewpider is a really good monster who will eat the faces of all who mess with you
Because this is what it's ability actually does, in addition to what the description says.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
dewpider owns, as does its evo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blaziken386 posted:

Dewpider is a really good monster who will eat the faces of all who mess with you
Because this is what it's ability actually does, in addition to what the description says.

It also learns Liquidate, which is a 100% accurate razor shell that deals more damage.

In other questions, how hard would it be to actually sketch sacred sword onto a Smeargle in USUM?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 30, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zoran posted:

They both do 1/8 except in gen 3, when Iron Barbs did not exist.

What had Iron Barbs in gen 4?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

hangedman1984 posted:

Why did they change the name of wimp out to emergency exit when wimpod evolves to golisopod? The ability still does the exact same thing right?

Golisopod is hard and spiky and strong on the outside, but he's a scared little boy on the inside

just like the trainer who uses it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i am not spiky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dabir posted:

What had Iron Barbs in gen 4?

Nothing, but Rough Skin was changed to 1/8 then.