Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

So we will know Derek is right when the open positions count goes up to ~100 from 64ish.

It went up to 70 in the last couple of weeks, and they've been posting ads for Wilmslow like crazy. I've been keeping an eye on it and posting about it

It has been 63-64 since March 2016 and started creeping up when 2 things happened:

1. Marketing Asst Director left, I forget her name
2. Grapevine rumours of more leavers coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a similar case recently, where I had to visualize/auto-mesh pointclouds based on the profiles a laserscanner sent in realtime. It was rather highpoly, and had to be visualized in a VR environment, so with at least 45 fps, better 90 fps. I actually went with a quick and dirty normal generation that was faster (and less accurate) than Unities recalculateNormals, and then recalculated them asynchronous on a copy of the mesh and then moved the normal data over. If you knew where to look, you could see it during runtime, but at least I didn't hear from anyone during the presentation "hey dude, your normals seem to be hosed for a split second".

Dirty tricks, it's dirty tricks all the way down

Thats game dev pretty much in a nutshell, when I first started (many moons ago) I was given a piece of advice, "If it looks correct, it's correct, even if it's wrong." it really is all about the smoke and mirrors. ;)

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 30, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

Hello thread, how are you.

So I'm less a participant and more an occasional voice of information.

The short term stuff is funny, but the long term stuff is what tickles me. Especially in the sense of calling it. It's a thing we do.

So in that spirit, I want to share thoughts about what's going to happen ITYOOL 2018:

1) Ben and Alexis are out: A Great Purge of staff has been calculated since two years ago, but I believe that Ben leaving SCAA, and the iffy reception of the Pioneer/Land sales, Ben has run out of time. Not even as an archivist. Ben has long since served his purpose. It will be announced "due to health reasons" that Ben will leave. Alexis will also "leave", in the sense of "we never wanted you". A severance package is given with a long NDA, probably 6 figures. They probably move back to Austin, where Ben can do more archiving of the WC material at UT Austin. I have bleaker visions of their 20 year future, it makes me sad a bit. I want to say nicer things, but Ben if you can read this, I heard enough.

2) SC inversely folds into SQ42: The big rumor is that SQ42 would be the thing to fold, but I think the opposite will happen. The promised mechanics of SC will instead be folded into the "episodic" campaign of SQ42. Mining, salvage, and land claiming will be parts of the SQ42 story, but only in the context of the story rather than any free will ability. Think Mass Effect: Andromeda.

3) Tony Z is out: I don't think Tony Z can survive another year. Austin is sadly an anemic husk of what once was the heartbeat of development 4 years ago, and Austin is the studio least producing marketable content. It'll either be a "It was a wild ride but family/issues need me to jet" or a very very quick "we wish Tony Z well OH LOOK AT THIS SNEAK PEEK". Tony, go back to day trading. There's less chance to get dispositioned doing that.

4) Racist Japanese Space Turtle Language Time Dies in Spring: No one gives a flying gently caress, and a talking head costs money.

5) People are really disappointed by Sunk Cost Galaxy, but still prefer it to reading Derek's blogs which strangely will have more actual info but gently caress if anyone can be bothered to read it. SCG gets a mention on Kotaku and RPS, Polygon and PCGamer summarize like they knew all along. Eurogamer retro plays Wing Commander 3 and has epiphany.

And for the completely wild left field outta nowhere ballsy prediction I'm sure won't happen but fuckit I'm betting red this time...

6) The Next Great Designer: Remember TNGS? It's like that except SC cultists compete for the best design idea for SC. Winner gets a job offer as an assistant producer in LA (because gently caress your CoL that's why) to lead a team to implement their feature. Pirate Rape, Feces Sanitation, Needless Bureaucracy, and Machinima divas on full display. Winning feature? You must have a Platinum PTTTHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPit's just another ship gently caress you surprise

:perfect:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Codezombie posted:

Visually it reminds me of Damocles. I loved that game back in the day, used to spend ages just exploring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfIQfGo0Z4

Oooh I never played that, I remember its predecessor Mercenary on the speccy. I just explored in that too, but watched a playthrough of it a while ago and was amazed just how thoughtful and original it actually was

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

Star Citizen dies in 2019.

Going to quote the poo poo out of this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think my favourite thing about the land sale is the surveying that they talked about in the Q&A. You need to survey the underlying geology of the the plot you're going to buy. Which means there is underlying geology, earthquakes, aquifers etc.

Plate Tectonics Feature - Confirmed!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Chris Roberts launches a new kickstarter in October 2020

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
I'm holding out hope CIG can make up the $2.2 million deficit to match funding from last November by the end of the day.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yeah instead they dont release a game then they charge you before they release it, multiple times, for thousands of dollars more than elite dangerous cost.

incidentally what do they think is gonna make this game more engaging than elite dangerous? a lot of space stuff is just flat out boring. why do people want to become space truckers? it's boring. getting attacked by pirates would be the most exciting part of it, but that would just suck anyway when they blew you up and took your stuff. Or you'd escape and it would suck for the pirates. That sort of poo poo only works for single player games where 50% of players arent getting hosed in every interaction. Just become a real life trucker and get some fuckin money doing it.

i remember when i was a teen and i heard about the game Spore and i built up in my head all the amazing poo poo i'd be able to do, all the elaborate backstories I'd have for my species, because the game was simulating all of life, right?

but then it came out and turned out to be a series of shallow minigames.

I can't imagine, as a grown rear end man, dropping luxury car money on the same dumb fantasy.

well you need to understand what they were promised and thus expect.

They think they can, literally, walk up tp their ship, fly to a planet, land, exit their ship in first person view, shoot a space deer, skin it with a minigame, fly to a space station, walk up to a space leatherworker, have the skin processed into leather, and sell that.
Same with the meat.
Chris Roberts, when asked if there would be birds on the planets you can do this on, said "yes". They think they will be able to do all the above, with birds flying around. Chirping.

There is a seed ship that will allow you to be a space potato farmer. Think about that.

Every planet has cities the cities, real cities not like ogrimmar or something, were talking new york, and every building will be like an actual building, with rooms and stuff in those rooms you can use.
You can literally walk into any house, go to their bathroom and piss in their bowl. And flush, likely.

Star Citizen will basically be like a crossover between dwarf fortress and the sims, plus second life, plus wing commander, in first person, but on a planetary scale, and on a 100 planets.

I mean if i was retarded, i would be excited too!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, but no one has. All land must be bought in-game.

I get it now.

CIG has cleverly hidden the ball on this.

A claim only gives you the right to purchase the land - so when you go to the Planetary City Hall to record the deed, they hit you with the Actual Price of the land, which you can cough up or risk having someone else buy it out from under your claim beacon.

What CIG has not said is whether or not all Actual Prices will be the same for a piece of land, and what sets the Actual Price (free market or the tax assessor). e: probably the tax assessor based on the contents of the land survey you have to provide at time of purchase.

(For comparison: see NFL's Personal Seat License, which is a fee season ticket holders have to pay in order to be able to buy actual tickets to the games.)

Golli fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 30, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sunk Cost Galaxy

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

someone explain We're now at 1:43 in The Hall of the Mountain King.

I cant keep up with thread lore

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

I struggle to see it lasting past 2020. I feel it'll squeek through 2018 with some kind of cost-cutting measures but we're already seeing restlessness on the part of people like Mothman. There are some whales who'll never see the light (Miku, probably) but those few can't finance the development all on their lonesome.

I'm also not entirely convinced that this sale's funding tracker is all customer/whale money. The fact that there are two sets of two days with identical numbers is suss as hell.

Heh goons don't realize Star Citizen will get 4 more years even if it doesn't come out (self.The_Roberts)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had to go backwards from the last page but let me say, I really think an event horizon made of pure retardium should be the thread title for at least a while.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

Joe Blobers' spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate, those aren't natural typos and language difficulties.

He probably has a Nigerian Prince plugin installed, with Troll mode enabled. He has to. It would be exhausting otherwise.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIz3klPET3o

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ ahem

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp_Hh6DKWc&t=103s

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beer, I guess it's time to put Hall of the Mountain King into the OP.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7glw4i/psa_for_newbies_its_cheap_easy_to_get_into_the/

CHEAP

&

EASY

JUST DO IT

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

But I guarantee they poo poo on Elite: Dangerous for having paid betas. so do I but that's neither here nor there

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/icotom/status/930124745483476992/photo/1

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I thought the article I saw about them selling off nonexistant non-jpgs (aka land) was taking the piss. Nope.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I wish they didn't do this. Everyone is obviously excited about 3.0 but the point of the PTU is to test the patch. The servers are already slow and stuttery and more people coming in is only going to make it worse. It took me an hour just to get Levski. The slowdowns and lag are infuriating and I can't find an empty server no matter how many times I try. Even fresh servers fill immediately so at best you get maybe 15 minutes of proper playtime before everything grinds to a halt. Most of these new players have no intentions of doing any testing so it would be better if they just waited until the new network stack is added into the patch.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

kikkelivelho posted:

I wish they didn't do this. Everyone is obviously excited about 3.0 but the point of the PTU is to test the patch. The servers are already slow and stuttery and more people coming in is only going to make it worse. It took me an hour just to get Levski. The slowdowns and lag are infuriating and I can't find an empty server no matter how many times I try. Even fresh servers fill immediately so at best you get maybe 15 minutes of proper playtime before everything grinds to a halt. Most of these new players have no intentions of doing any testing so it would be better if they just waited until the new network stack is added into the patch.

SCtrumpHaters, this is how you gimmick.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

I suspect CIG need a boost in that sweet sweet monthly revenue from the subscriptions.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Thanks to whoever bought me a AV. :)

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The reason is clear as day in that tweet. Take a look at his follow-up where he shows number of new backers; it's gone off a cliff. CIG is becoming more and more dependent on whales but that won't last forever.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Codezombie posted:

I suspect CIG need a boost in that sweet sweet monthly revenue from the subscriptions.

The subscriptions are mainly used to fund community content, shows and events. They don't go towards the dev budget.

But you already knew that.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Latin Pheonix posted:

The reason is clear as day in that tweet. Take a look at his follow-up where he shows number of new backers; it's gone off a cliff. CIG is becoming more and more dependent on whales but that won't last forever.

There's still a month left in 2017, tho

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

The subscriptions are mainly used to fund community content, shows and events. They don't go towards the dev budget.

We missed you :allears:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

CIG only need 100,000 people to buy a starter package and they can make up the projected 2017 annual shortfall.

Edit: Alternatively, Clifford can buy enough Get Off My Lawn stakes to claim an area the size of India; that will also bridge the revenue gap.

Abuminable fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 30, 2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

Lol, I'm sure CIG keep the money in a separate account that is dedicated solely to funding the community shows.

I'm sure that they don't just throw this money on the pile to use it at will.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Latin Pheonix posted:

Lol, I'm sure CIG keep the money in a separate account that is dedicated solely to funding the community shows.

I'm sure that they don't just throw this money on the pile to use it at will.

They dont. That would be pretty unethical of them.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Milky Moor posted:

I struggle to see it lasting past 2020. I feel it'll squeek through 2018 with some kind of cost-cutting measures but we're already seeing restlessness on the part of people like Mothman. There are some whales who'll never see the light (Miku, probably) but those few can't finance the development all on their lonesome.

If I was a betting man I'd say they'll still be here in 2019. 2020 seems generous with the decline in funding and interest we've seen in 2017. Without some sort of miracle gameplay and stability updates, 2019 is where they collapse. Publically and officially, at least. If they go into cost-cutting mode mid-2018 that's essentially the same as collapsing, considering the insane amount of engineering debt.

Every time Star Citizen comes up on some forum or in a comments section, doesn't matter if it's a relatively small site, you always get at least one zealot preaching and aggressively attacking any and all negativity directed at the project. If it wasn't for the fervour of these actual crusaders I would say the project is done for early 2018, but I just can't underestimate their ability to throw money at it and lure new people in short-term.

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

With the cockwizard returning, this is truly the time of peak citizen.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

Reminder that the citizen count is just the number of people signing up on their site, it doesn't indicate paying customers. The tickler in black admitted last year (?) the actual number of paying victims customers was in the region of 500k.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Golli posted:

Beer, I guess it's time to put Hall of the Mountain King into the OP.

I enjoy using it as a metric for the culturally deficient.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bootcha posted:

Also, Tony, you realize YOU are the fall guy, right?

No way, Ben was the fall guy and now he's being shuffled off. Lando is the new fall guy as evidenced by his stupid smarmy bullshit being inserted into every video

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I enjoy using it as a metric for the culturally deficient.

Just as long as we're on the same page about which version is the proper version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

alphabettitouretti posted:

Reminder that the citizen count is just the number of people signing up on their site, it doesn't indicate paying customers. The tickler in black admitted last year (?) the actual number of paying victims customers was in the region of 500k.

Wasn't that Turbulent who dropped that number? Can you link me to the source? For archival purposes.