Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Clearly, tomato soup is the foundation of a healthy diet.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Bloop posted:

The people that live in those buildings did not design them or choose to live in them for aesthetic purposes. They almost certainly live there because the rent is low and they don't do thorough background checks.

I hadn't looked at the blown up image and thought they were single family.

New background check: Are you willing to live in a building with a mansard roof? If so you are likely a felon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Clearly, tomato soup is the foundation of a healthy diet.

I really want to run with this but my well of puns is dry.

Wait.. hang on..

I CAN't believe they did that!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

therobit posted:

I hadn't looked at the blown up image and thought they were single family.

New background check: Are you willing to live in a building with a mansard roof? If so you are likely a felon.
The French nobility probably committed a bunch of felonies, so this checks out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I really want to run with this but my well of puns is dry.

Wait.. hang on..

I CAN't believe they did that!
Nothing wrong with condensed puns.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Chicken soup for the sole.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

The French nobility probably committed a bunch of felonies, so this checks out.

Also fast food restaurants often have felons working there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/hH5Iilk.mp4

This is the nightmare scenario/torture test for building codes, right? Bunch of people jumping up and down at the same time

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hH5Iilk.mp4

This is the nightmare scenario/torture test for building codes, right? Bunch of people jumping up and down at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3HTkkpvtU

A thick crowd of people is denser than bumper‐to‐bumper parked cars.

And cars can’t do standing jumps.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

*AHEM*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vi6HTa990

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats why I don't dance.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's just a really narrow travelator, what's the deal?

Nah, man, you're just supposed to sit on the rail and ride that.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Brute Squad posted:

Or how to open the exterior doors with a properly sized and shaped coat hanger.

Going back a couple pages, but this reminded me of my second university flat. It was new build, and shoddy as hell. We moved in sixteen weeks later than we were supposed to, and had to live in blocks that were supposed to have been demolished already for that time.

Anyway, we moved into our shiny new flat, and rapidly discovered that it was faster to use the normal key to hook behind the latch and break in to our own flat, than it was to use the key in the keyhole. There was a huge gap between door and frame.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Brovine posted:

Going back a couple pages, but this reminded me of my second university flat. It was new build, and shoddy as hell. We moved in sixteen weeks later than we were supposed to, and had to live in blocks that were supposed to have been demolished already for that time.

Anyway, we moved into our shiny new flat, and rapidly discovered that it was faster to use the normal key to hook behind the latch and break in to our own flat, than it was to use the key in the keyhole. There was a huge gap between door and frame.

I was talking about the elevator doors, but that works too. Doors are apparently really challenging for people to install.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Grover's load-bearing soup

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/128020/can-you-cut-open-a-plastic-junction-box-and-just-lay-splices-inside

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
paging kid sinister to collect his meltdown

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Optimist in me says at least they used a box at all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've had electricians round the last couple of days and despite them sounding like a couple of parakeets I'm really glad they do good safe work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I've been finding some danger boxes buried in the wall, so it looks I'm going to be digging in to the rainy day fund for a competent electricians well. Hate to the see the money fly out in large quantities like that, but the peace of mind and lack of a future fiery inferno is worth it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dammit jones. i really have to do the same thing :smithfrog:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've had electricians round the last couple of days and despite them sounding like a couple of parakeets I'm really glad they do good safe work.

Do they keep saying "pretty boy"?

Also don't you mean budgerigar?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Do they keep saying "pretty boy"?

Also don't you mean budgerigar?

They echo thoughts back and forth. I didn't check their plumage.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

They echo thoughts back and forth. I didn't check their plumage.

Sounds like a garden variety crested sparkie.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I think it was this thread that told me about the recall on Kidde fire extinguishers?

Trip report - they send you a higher end one (I think their highest end "home" one - Pro 110 series). But it looks like they do want the old one back now, instead of disposing of it. Prepaid shipping label is included, and the instructions state they expect you to send it intact.

Also it doesn't fit the old bracket. :argh: (includes a new metal one, but it's the commercial type instead of the big plastic one)

(also gently caress Fedex for not leaving a note or something on my door... apparently it's been sitting in the leasing office of my apartments for a week)

Qwijib0 posted:

It's in midtown, I'd say about half the homes in the area have bars, including my own. Most don't meet modern fire code (keyed, no-quick release) and I had to remove them from my bedroom windows to get a mortgage. The bars are up so that you can leave the windows open all day while you're gone, as the area was primarily evap cooled when built, and it's still a popular cooling method.

This. Swamp coolers are still alive and well in much of the desert, and Google Maps shows most of the houses I grew up in still have them (and still have the bars we had). One house I lived in had a lever on each inside bedroom wall to release the bars (they were hinged).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Trip report - they send you a higher end one (I think their highest end "home" one - Pro 110 series). But it looks like they do want the old one back now, instead of disposing of it. Prepaid shipping label is included, and the instructions state they expect you to send it intact.

Well there goes my plan of tying a string to the trigger and seeing how much foam comes in a fire extinguisher

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Armacham posted:

Well there goes my plan of tying a string to the trigger and seeing how much foam comes in a fire extinguisher

Just ask if you can shoot it off before returning. And you don’t need to use string on the handle, it’s designed to be held while you use it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Just ask if you can shoot it off before returning. And you don’t need to use string on the handle, it’s designed to be held while you use it.

Yeah, but they're being recalled for having the nozzle fly off and killing people. Play it safe.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like, at an angle? Because otherwise how are they killing people? Someone's on fire so you point the extinguisher at them and then BANG they get impaled with the nozzle?

Do not stare directly into the nozzle. Do not agitate the nozzle.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Like, at an angle? Because otherwise how are they killing people? Someone's on fire so you point the extinguisher at them and then BANG they get impaled with the nozzle?

Do not stare directly into the nozzle. Do not agitate the nozzle.

Do not anger Happy Fun Ball.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AFAIK they're being recalled for the lovely plastic handle breaking and the extinguisher not working as a result, not anything flying apart.

They actually sent me a letter a week or so after I got my two replacements saying to not take it to a Fedex store but instead to set up a pickup. It's been another two weeks since then and I haven't done anything, I'm kind of waiting it out to see if they complain, if I don't hear anything in another month or so I'm probably going to shoot the big one, not sure what to do with the small one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Now they're on fire and a fountain of blood is spurting through the nozzle with every heartbeat. How much more dark slapstick can we add onto this?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now they're on fire and a fountain of blood is spurting through the nozzle with every heartbeat. How much more dark slapstick can we add onto this?

Foam makes everything funnier, so I think we're all set here.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Foam makes everything funnier, so I think we're all set here.

Do you know what you've done? You've tempted probably at least 5 people to post the foam video. Why. Why would you bring upon us that abomination. And what's worse I'm pretty sure you knew what you were doing, so in conclusion get hosed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://gfycat.com/QuarterlyInexperiencedIbadanmalimbe

Foam sometimes makes great videos

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At first I thought he'd somehow caught fire on his own (I don't know, okay, maybe the dude is naturally combustible) and they had mini extinguishers that for some reason made things worse, and I was all ready to quip "what the hell, did they use this stuff:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBi5ciuZcPE

Then I realized they were spraying him for fun before the fire started and that was, in fact, literally exactly what they did. :stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I particularly like how they set him on fire by spraying him with flammable foam, then immediately attempt to use the same spray to extinguish the flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I assumed it was a butane propellant doing the job.