Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol using the term moral panic unironically
What would you use as the term for when parents say “won’t someone think of the children”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Brother Entropy posted:

monster hunter in january, beta's next weekend

gently caress yeah. How do I get it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's an open beta

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's definitely a puzzle, mate, the AI usually doesn't get stuck there as far as I know. It's something you're missing, but yeah that one stumped me for a few.
It's been a long, long while, but I think I remember looking for help on the web and reading more than a few accounts of people getting stuck there precisely because Trico wouldn't dive. I remember that I did manage to have Trico swim through the same kind of tunnel to get to the room that I'm stuck in, but now he just won't go. If I'd be surprised if I were missing a puzzle because it looks exactly the same as what I did seconds before. I'll probably give it a go tonight, now I'm curious...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember that being one of the parts that takes a bit of patience (not 30 minutes of patience) but the infamous bugged part is another part (that bug is super easy to counteract too though if you know what to do)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

It's been a long, long while, but I think I remember looking for help on the web and reading more than a few accounts of people getting stuck there precisely because Trico wouldn't dive. I remember that I did manage to have Trico swim through the same kind of tunnel to get to the room that I'm stuck in, but now he just won't go. If I'd be surprised if I were missing a puzzle because it looks exactly the same as what I did seconds before. I'll probably give it a go tonight, now I'm curious...

If the conditions are right (and there are several rooms if I remember correctly, some of them with puzzle requirements) then all you have to do is ask Trico to come in the water and then grab onto the neck.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Man, the more I read you guys' posts, the more I think I did a dumb and wasted half an hour and stopped playing a good game because I ignored a puzzle...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

Man, the more I read you guys' posts, the more I think I did a dumb and wasted half an hour and stopped playing a good game because I ignored a puzzle...

I mean, the game has a certain amount of frustration built in but it wears said flaw like a beauty-mark. It's an absolute masterpiece and the best game of last year.

edit; The ending might be one of the single best in all of videogaming, but it's not something that can be properly experienced unless you've spent a certain amount of time toiling with the game's design, and I think that's absolutely intentional. Similar to how the 'brainless' co-operative puzzles in The Last of Us are actually a design decision that serves the greater narrative purpose...much of the design of TLG is purposefully poking the player's emotions in small increments so that the ending can capitalize on a blend of very specific emotional responses.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 30, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

gently caress yeah. How do I get it?

just gotta have ps plus

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lets hang out posted:

just gotta have ps plus

Hella excited for PSX next week, and to play this beta.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Grump posted:

Looking for a good multiplayer game with a good goon following because I haven't played online games with friends in years.

Titanfall 2

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The next few weeks have a lot of game announcement stuff going on, it's pretty great.

XSEED's new game thing gets announced today, whatever's at The Game Awards is on the 7th, PSX is on the 8th, the new Super Robot Wars game (which is apparently already confirmed for English release) is unveiled on the 11th, and Bandai Namco is revealing 5 new games on an event on the 15th.

And meanwhile the dude who voice acts and mo-caps Virgil in Devil May Cry's just like gently caress it lol I'm wearing mo-cap gear and everyone's talking about DMC5 I wonder why :thinking:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I mean, the game has a certain amount of frustration built in but it wears said flaw like a beauty-mark. It's an absolute masterpiece and the best game of last year.

edit; The ending might be one of the single best in all of videogaming, but it's not something that can be properly experienced unless you've spent a certain amount of time toiling with the game's design, and I think that's absolutely intentional. Similar to how the 'brainless' co-operative puzzles in The Last of Us are actually a design decision that serves the greater narrative purpose...much of the design of TLG is purposefully poking the player's emotions in small increments so that the ending can capitalize on a blend of very specific emotional responses.

I'm just so annoyed they decided it was a good idea to tell the players what to do in the final part. It's like if Ico would tell you to jump after Yorda at the bed. It might be a small thing, but definitely soured my experience. The player needs to make the decision for themselves.

Edit: It's like if Tale of Two Brothers would have told you what to do in the ending. That ending is masterful, but would have lost most of its impact if the game would have told you to hold your brother's hand. :unsmith:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 30, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Policenaut posted:

And meanwhile the dude who voice acts and mo-caps Virgil in Devil May Cry's just like gently caress it lol I'm wearing mo-cap gear and everyone's talking about DMC5 I wonder why :thinking:

A 2018 Devil May Cry V announcement would absolutely reduce me to big, sloppy “I’ve missed you so much” tears

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Two months until I can finally put my palico in a parka in

MONSTER
HUNTER
WORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-OZkGpRkM0

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

though I think I recall Dante's VA posting mocap pics a while back that ended up being for either the panchinko game or nothing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Renoistic posted:

I'm just so annoyed they decided it was a good idea to tell the players what to do in the final part. It's like if Ico would tell you to jump after Yorda at the bed. It might be a small thing, but definitely soured my experience. The player needs to make the decision for themselves.

Yeah, sorry, that didn't annoy me in the slightest.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bust Rodd posted:

A 2018 Devil May Cry V announcement would absolutely reduce me to big, sloppy “I’ve missed you so much” tears

Every major japanese franchise gets at least five games so they have the excuse to use the latin number V (for victory)

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is playing The Last of Us on easy going to dilute the game experience at all? I want to keep playing it but the encounters are way too stressful for me most of the time and I have to start over as I got autosaved into a no win state.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is playing The Last of Us on easy going to dilute the game experience at all? I want to keep playing it but the encounters are way too stressful for me most of the time and I have to start over as I got autosaved into a no win state.

Changing the difficulty will only restart the segment you're at so you can change it around as you see fit. The encounters are designed to be somewhat stressful but do whatever that makes the game fun for you.
Allthough i think the game will spawn resources to avoid no win situations.

E: oh, and what sets TLoU apart is generally presentation and not pure mechanics so i wouldn't worry about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

It's a game about scavenging for resources and barely scraping by...so if you feel like having an abundance of resources might dilute your experience then play on Normal or Hard. Just remember, for the most part it's way more about stealth and brawling than it is about shooting.

The game is supposed to be stressful. It's not a 'fun' game in the traditional sense, but it IS immersive, engaging, and purposeful in its design.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It should be noted that on harder difficulties the game doesnt necessarily reward scavenging. Quite the opposite, theres nothing to scavenge so you are just killing zombies with bottles and bricks.

Imo anything beyond Hard is boring because the only thing you find are empty drawers

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s a weird way to sell it guys.

TLoU is certainly very fun and engaging, on harder difficulties the joy of the game is going “ok, one brick in the hand, one on the ground, two shivs, 3 shotgun shells and enough scraps to craft a bomb...”

*peeks over cover*

*ok how do I kill 9 guys with this stuff*

Every encounter is like a cool puzzle where you figure out how to use what you have to survive.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Two months until I can finally put my palico in a parka in

MONSTER
HUNTER
WORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-OZkGpRkM0

drat it. I just preordered this game and I plan on getting HZD complete this christmas. Hunter Overkill Dawn Monster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japan's PS+ free play games for December are Akiba's Beat, Garou MOTW, and...Knack.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Knackuza strikes again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would play knack if you could be kiryu

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Dishonored 2 is cool but I'm also mad at myself for screwing everything up. Like every encounter begins with me meticulously planning out how I will use Domino to link guards together and force pull them all into a dumpster to neatly hide the bodies without getting my hands dirty and ends with me frantically waving my sword around killing everyone because I messed it all up.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mindblown: the W in random Final Fantasy 7 items (W-Item, W-Summon, W-Machine Gun) is short hand for "double"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With all of these exciting anticipated game announcements, who is excited for the Mega Man 30th Anniversary stream next week???

I can't wait for a new Mega Man flash game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I think Dishonored 2 is cool but I'm also mad at myself for screwing everything up. Like every encounter begins with me meticulously planning out how I will use Domino to link guards together and force pull them all into a dumpster to neatly hide the bodies without getting my hands dirty and ends with me frantically waving my sword around killing everyone because I messed it all up.

That's me in every stealth game, except I don't even have a plan to start with.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Changing the difficulty will only restart the segment you're at so you can change it around as you see fit. The encounters are designed to be somewhat stressful but do whatever that makes the game fun for you.
Allthough i think the game will spawn resources to avoid no win situations.

E: oh, and what sets TLoU apart is generally presentation and not pure mechanics so i wouldn't worry about it.

I was trying to gunfight my way through the game like a cover shooter and I guess you can't really play it that way. I will just shelf it for now for something else before I get too frustrated and give up on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I was trying to gunfight my way through the game like a cover shooter and I guess you can't really play it that way. I will just shelf it for now for something else before I get too frustrated and give up on it.

Its a stealth game :shrug:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How does Elite: Dangerous play on PS4 versus PC? It's on sale on Amazon for $20 and I'm thinking of picking it up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Mindblown: the W in random Final Fantasy 7 items (W-Item, W-Summon, W-Machine Gun) is short hand for "double"
Well it is a Double U(se?).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the ps4 capable of outputting audio over hdmi AND a usb headset simultaneously?

I know both work separately, but once won’t cancel the other will it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you are playing The Last of Us on normal or easy, using Listen/Survival mode and stealth killing people is basically autopilot. You can't really get a better ability in a stealth game than X-Ray vision

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Verisimilidude posted:

How does Elite: Dangerous play on PS4 versus PC? It's on sale on Amazon for $20 and I'm thinking of picking it up.

It's OK. The DS4 doesn't have quite enough buttons for all its controls (and there are a LOT of controls) so expect to read references, mess with bindings, and get used to pressing two buttons at once to do things. It also doesn't seem to have nearly as many gankers as the PC version so that's good. Performance is pretty variable, ranging from 60 in deep space to the 20s or teens in a heavily trafficked space station (non-pro).

That said, the entire game is endless grinding scut work for credits, so unless you find the idea of piloting your personal spaceship absolutely enthralling it'll probably get old fast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You only have a Jansport backpack, dude, how many pockets do you think are on that thing?

It's got enough room to hold an infinite quantity of pills and parts, any gun you're picking up can't be more than 25 parts. You should totally be able to carry around twenty empty pistols along with your bow, two pistols, rifle, shotguns, machine gun, and flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Fun fact, that isn't just a Final Fantasy thing, 'W' is a straight up ideogram for 'double' in Japan, be it referring to Kamen Riders or burgers