Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah once Byzantium lost the Exarch of Ravenna and their ability to influence the pope at all the divide was complete.

So another problem we can blame on iconoclasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The biggest problem post 1066 in this game (in Europe) is the complete non-appearance of the Investiture Contest. Instead of anything interesting happening, the big gray blob will just smash everything around it with Salians in charge forever

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Funky Valentine posted:

The only thing out of the ordinary here is Ireland coalescing.

Actually I've seen Ireland coalescing in most of my Charlemagne starts lately, oddly enough.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to have the game notify you when you can change your laws again? You can have notices for so many other things, so having to remember that it's been five/ten years and checking that again is annoying.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Actually I've seen Ireland coalescing in most of my Charlemagne starts lately, oddly enough.

I think it's the new CBs making it easier to get things started for the petty kingdoms. Ireland may not be the ideal Tutorial Island any more!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

evenworse username posted:

I think it's the new CBs making it easier to get things started for the petty kingdoms. Ireland may not be the ideal Tutorial Island any more!

Yep, this is the reason.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ha, abusable China bug. Just finangled my way into the Ark of the Covenant (aka invited and stabbed) and sent it off to China, and it wasn't removed. Now I have a free 10k grace every few years. I presume this would apply to any of the indestructible artifacts (iron crown lombardy, ark of covenant, jesus shroud). Enjoy infinite China goodies before the patch I guess!

On another note - is anyone else noticing that when landing courtiers, their spouses/kids aren't going with them? I seem to be collecting a ton of wives and kids of people I foisted my latest conquests off of.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 29, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

lurksion posted:

On another note - is anyone else noticing that when landing courtiers, their spouses/kids aren't going with them? I seem to be collecting a ton of wives and kids of people I foisted my latest conquests off of.

Yup, I noticed this, wasn't sure how recent a bug it was since I just started playing again recently. Somewhat annoying when I land my heir and then notice their wife is still sitting in my court. And I can't even ask them to leave.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

axeil posted:

Is there a way to tell if your save will still get achievements? I have an old Roman Empire game from back before the new DLC that's in 1150 and I'm absolutely massive and want to play through to the end but I don't want to bother if I can't get any achievements for doing it and I don't see any way to tell if I'm good or not.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but ingame there's a little "i" icon in the top-left of the screen by your character portrait. If you click that it'll take you to a screen describing the features of your culture/gov't/religion and also has a button that says "Game Rules." In that screen it'll tell you whether achievements are enabled or disabled for your save.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm trying out having one of my spare courtiers run a mercenary band to see how that works out. Has anyone found it to be useful?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

evenworse username posted:

I'm trying out having one of my spare courtiers run a mercenary band to see how that works out. Has anyone found it to be useful?

No, because when you disband it, the money they earned doesn't go to you for some weird and stupid reason, so all it gives you is a portion of their fee

It's main use, as far as I know, is to enable merchant republics to create a super army for themselves

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In my pre-Primogeniture eras I just have my spare son practice the blade and then send him out mercenary-ing in hopes that he dies in next week's Tibetan hellwar.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wish they started doing content packs like they have been doing for the other main titles.

poo poo like adding societies or treasures or even just events. Or adding them with patches, I suppose. Finishing filling out some of the stuff regarding defensive pagans and the new religions would be baller, as well as fixing caste stuff

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Wasn't there some grand plan to polish up Russia at some point? I swear I saw a dev diary called "the third rome" or something in the launcher alongside Jade Dragon a few months ago. I hope they're done adding paid content, but a good spitshine would be nice if Jade Dragon is really the last DLC.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Wasn't there some grand plan to polish up Russia at some point? I swear I saw a dev diary called "the third rome" or something in the launcher alongside Jade Dragon a few months ago. I hope they're done adding paid content, but a good spitshine would be nice if Jade Dragon is really the last DLC.

Wasn't that for EU4

Also all I want is West Africans to be expanded more. I mean FUCKKK COME ON

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea, there was a EU4 DLC called The Third Rome about Russia.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I would give anything for Mali to have a coast. It's not like those places weren't inhabited, they'd just be tribal, and not having to go through the Sahara to get anywhere would fix so much.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A corridor connecting Ghana and Ethiopia like EU4 has would do wonders.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
One of my vassals keeps creating and destroying title Raj of Anartta. Weird, I wonder if it's just a random bug or it is caused by some mechanics, maybe because of gavelkind (and reluctance to split the realm)?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like content packs would be great for that, because while I feel they should be free, the reality is that Paradox need money and so smaller things like that might work out.

The West Africans not fitting in with the rest of the game is a problem, but really, reskinning the societies to fit the pagans shouldn't be that hard. I honestly don't know why every reformed religion doesn't get their own religious org and access to the hermetics

Or why WA doesn't have their own Satanics :/

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Has anyone run into the problem of having their settings just stop applying in-game? I know for a fact I switched off secret religious cults, but my son who just inherited, as well as his entire family, are apparently secret Jains, and I'm now thinking a lot of my vassals and courtiers probably are too. I also know I set the Mongols and Turkic raiders to appear in their historical time periods, but it's barely 1000 AD and they're both out there loving poo poo up. Things are going well other than that, so I'm just gonna ride it out, but it's pretty frustrating.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Dwesa posted:

One of my vassals keeps creating and destroying title Raj of Anartta. Weird, I wonder if it's just a random bug or it is caused by some mechanics, maybe because of gavelkind (and reluctance to split the realm)?

My post-Jade Dragon game has been plagued by king level vassals constantly making and destroying duchies, it's ridiculous, I keep making the duchies and handing them off to counts just to stop the pop-ups.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dwesa posted:

I think it's because they're programmed to always make new titles when they can, but if they're a king level vassal then they make the duchy, see that making the duchy has given them the "too many duchies" opinion penalty and then destroy it to avoid the penalty. They recognize that they should get rid of the title when they have it but that doesn't carry over to recognizing that they just shouldn't make it in the first place.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It seems it was already reported at official forums, so hopefully it will be fixed in obligatory post-expansion hotfix.

Apparently, befored JD, they would just give away titles, now they don't.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 30, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
On the other hand, I now actually see the AI landing family members, so progress!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

On the other hand, I now actually see the AI landing family members, so progress!

I'm seeing an unsettlingly large number of in-dynasty marriages and inbreds, though. I don't know if this was a thing pre-JD, but my dynasty (while big) isn't large enough such that there aren't other options, so I wish they'd prioritize marrying someone who isn't a cousin.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know if it was always a thing and I just never quite noticed it before, but it feels like most of the time newly landed people just refuse to have kids. I'll go out of my way to ensure I'm giving land to men who're fairly young and with no fertility-decreasing traits and that I marry them to young women with no such traits as well but more often then not these jerks are apparently barren. It's really annoying because it means if I conquer a chunk of counties (like say in a holy war) it's inevitable that within a decade or two the lot of it will be the personal demesne of some duke or I get crazy internal bordergore.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm seeing an unsettlingly large number of in-dynasty marriages and inbreds, though. I don't know if this was a thing pre-JD, but my dynasty (while big) isn't large enough such that there aren't other options, so I wish they'd prioritize marrying someone who isn't a cousin.
Yeaaahhh, they've always done that. True to history to some degree, if you have a concubine religion you can try and reduce the inbreeding that way, but yeah, everyone is going all Zoroastrian these days...

I think the thinking is like, "How do I keep the lands within my dynasty?" and matrilineal marriages that are accepted and don't lose you prestige are the easiest within your dynasty.

I think it's partly WAD, partly a problem with the new courier culling protocols. Man, I'd kill to have more poo poo like "Court Baron" to tell the game not to murder all my commanders the moment my dude dies.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I can't wait for my current guy to die so some of the 200 courtiers I've somehow racked up can go gently caress off.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Is "vanished without a trace" the codeword for "culled due to the new courtier culling code"? Because I've seen that appear on a few children from my dynasty and it's somewhat unnerving.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Is "vanished without a trace" the codeword for "culled due to the new courtier culling code"? Because I've seen that appear on a few children from my dynasty and it's somewhat unnerving.

They've most likely either been eaten or sacrificed to Satan

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Magil Zeal posted:

It means you have Satanists around and need to set your chaplains a-hunting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Crow Jane posted:

I've had my chaplain hunting apostates for a while now, but it seems like there sure are a lot of them. Hopefully I'll find those particular problematic ones eventually.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Your chaplain is probably one of them :tinfoil:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It is a bit strange to burn hundreds of people on a stake as a buddhist, considering that game itself allows you to freely change to some other (indian) religion or change to a different branch. But I will not allow them to convert counties in case they gain momentum and them having different religion gives an opinion malus, so it's preferrable to burn them, just in case :shrug:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

So you can get multiple copies of "How To Build a Well", and their effects stack. I want to see how high this can go, since I'm at -50% build time, I want to materialize buildings out of the ether overnight.

edit: With the steward, its 1 day to build anything, I just shat a maxed out castle into existence in a fortnight.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 30, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Dwesa posted:

It is a bit strange to burn hundreds of people on a stake as a buddhist, considering that game itself allows you to freely change to some other (indian) religion or change to a different branch. But I will not allow them to convert counties in case they gain momentum and them having different religion gives an opinion malus, so it's preferrable to burn them, just in case :shrug:

I've been playing as a Taoist king, burning Buddhists left and right, and giving their counties to the Master Engineers I've been steadily importing from China. It's been a good strategy so far, but just before I logged off last night China itself went Buddhist. Welp.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I've been playing as a Taoist king, burning Buddhists left and right, and giving their counties to the Master Engineers I've been steadily importing from China. It's been a good strategy so far, but just before I logged off last night China itself went Buddhist. Welp.

Seems like the obvious next step is to burn China.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Well, may as well try out Nomads for the first time. A Khazaran vassal might be easy and laid back to learn the manpower and population stuff? Huh, what does Invasion do?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

(Pretty sure this is going to give me a bad case of the Crusades as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Why do people keep leaving heretic Bibles with me and why can't I ever find out who's doing it

Edit: I'm really enjoying all this new DLC. On the flip side I'm starting to feel like the treasury + artifacts feature might be a touch overpowered if you stock up on them, a few generations in and you've got super stat bonuses for all new characters. Chinese artifacts add to this. At least it makes the Hermetic society and learning more worthwhile.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 30, 2017

• Locked thread