Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Aladdin is the best platformer of the 16-bit era, but only on the Genesis. The SNES version just isn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bajaj posted:

Aladdin is the best platformer of the 16-bit era, but only on the Genesis. The SNES version just isn't as good.

Not exactly an unpopular video game opinion. This is known.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Meme Emulator posted:

I just finished the third

Yeah, other than some of the trial bits in that one it’s really the next one that divides people.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaj posted:

I've recently gone back and played both. They each have their merits.

SNES version brighter/prettier, has better platforming, and is waaaaaay less janky than Genesis. They also made up an entire part of the story that didn't exist in the movie

It's also easy as gently caress. I beat it when I was 5.

Genesis looks more fluid and hey you get a sword! But the hitboxes for it are all over the loving place and this alone makes some boss-fights pretty hard. Sometimes the enemy will just walk past your sword and you'll trade blows. It's way more satisfying to beat though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Was the carpet escape from the cave the same difficulty in both? I thought it was supposed to be way harder on the SNES. I might have it backwards.

Regardless, gently caress that level.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

limp_cheese posted:

Was the carpet escape from the cave the same difficulty in both? I thought it was supposed to be way harder on the SNES. I might have it backwards.

Regardless, gently caress that level.

I think that might be the only part where SNES is harder. Even now it took me ~5-6 tries to get through.

I beat the genesis one first try and have much less experience with it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah, other than some of the trial bits in that one it’s really the next one that divides people.

Ok I can get it bein thought of low if the last trial isnt that great. Especially since the first three cases were good but nothing really incredible like Mask DeMasque when it comes to non finale trials

I guess this game is the reverse of trials and tribulations which had bad initial cases but the last one is so good everyone forgets about the circus and amensiac phoenix saving maggey

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That was Justice for all, but yeah I think that’s a great way to think about it.

It’s not even that the last case is even bad per we, but the execution is just frustrating imo.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Zzulu posted:

What good came out in 2017?

Just curious, I don't play videogames as much anymore since most of them bore the poo poo out of me

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks promising.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

It was easier to get hyped for a game when you were reading about it in a glossy color magazine. Some grainy screenshots and paragraphs of devs overpromising on the mechanics and systems that'll be the actual substance of the game is a better fit for the medium than a cinematically styled youtube trailer. Movies work entirely through editing and there is no editing in video games - maybe never will be, might just be incompatible on a structural level. I think that's why Ebert said games weren't art - not because they were cheesy or immature, but because they couldnt use editing the way movies, books and music do. Maybe games arent art but are more like... social dancing?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

The Dennis System posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks promising.

that's a 2018 release though

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

It was easier to get hyped for a game when you were reading about it in a glossy color magazine. Some grainy screenshots and paragraphs of devs overpromising on the mechanics and systems that'll be the actual substance of the game is a better fit for the medium than a cinematically styled youtube trailer. Movies work entirely through editing and there is no editing in video games - maybe never will be, might just be incompatible on a structural level. I think that's why Ebert said games weren't art - not because they were cheesy or immature, but because they couldnt use editing the way movies, books and music do. Maybe games arent art but are more like... social dancing?
If you really really boil it down to the bone, I think it shakes out like this:

Books are about thought

Movies are about actions

Comics are about conception

Music is about intensity

Video Games are about doing

-------

Video Games, more than any other medium, don't have to be about anything beyond abstracted mechanics--Pong: Move wheel to manipulate paddle up and down; PacMan: Move joystick in cardinal directions to navigate maze--to succeed because they are fundamentally games. Thus one part of the argument is "Is the act of doing for the sake of a game both an end unto itself and artistic expression?" and the other is recognizing that the Video Game Industry has been pretentious as hell as early as the late 80s about how deep video games are by the metric of other art forms.

So instead of arguing whether or not say, Mario is art the question is really "In what ways does Mario establish new rules about what successful art is?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

what

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
also video games arent art

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Anyone who cares about whether something is or isnt art is just being a pretentious wank.

Diablo 2 was bad.

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Video games are art but they're not very good at being art.

Also art isn't important.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

Video games are definitely art, because the term is a nebulously defined bar that’s probably pretty low which is why something can be art but still stupid and bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DebonaireD posted:

Movies work entirely through editing and there is no editing in video games - maybe never will be, might just be incompatible on a structural level. I think that's why Ebert said games weren't art - not because they were cheesy or immature, but because they couldnt use editing the way movies, books and music do.

your problem and ebert's as well is apparently a complete loving misunderstanding of the medium. there's no editing in video games? what do you call level and encounter design? do you think cutscenes just spring forth out of the aether or what?

video games are definitely art but who the gently caress cares because

Video games are definitely art, because the term is a nebulously defined bar that’s probably pretty low which is why something can be art but still stupid and bad.

thecommodore64 posted:

Also art isn't important.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I don't believe my argument leaves any wiggle room - video games aren't art, QED

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
ceci n'est pas un art

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

This is because good games are made by accident and it shows when the stapled on multiplayer mode was a hell of a lot more interesting and engrossing than the finely crafted single player campaign that was the focus of development

The last of us is famous for being the first third person shooter where getting shot actually meant something to your general state of well-being

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

your problem and ebert's as well is apparently a complete loving misunderstanding of the medium. there's no editing in video games? what do you call level and encounter design? do you think cutscenes just spring forth out of the aether or what?

I really don't think I have a complete misunderstanding of the medium. I wasn't really trying to call out whether games are or aren't art, but that video game making needs to invent new techniques like film did with editing in order to become not only better, but to clue the rest of us in on what it is that they really are. I don't think video games boil down to 'mechanics' or 'balance' with a presentation veneer on top - video games aren't just dressed up versions of chess and board games, or they aren't only those things. They could be a whole heck of a lot more but producers are worried about making sure things look filmic - and it is filmic, nobody is trying to make their games sound like music or read like a book - and its a real blind alley.
Maybe you didn't like the dancing bit. I read a good theory about how video games share traits with amusement parks instead - exciting set pieces strung together with long lines and tedious moments, among other things.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Making console and gaming peripherals pink is the only way to get more women into gaming

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Books, films, art, games are all just experiences crafted by people for other people to consume. They're all just entertainment, art included. The debate is whether videogames as a medium also has the potential to evoke deeper levels of thought or consideration on the part of the consumer rather than what is presented at face value.

Most games, books and films make little to no attempt to do that, and the same can be said about much of the art world too, but in the end everything but games has a long back catalogue of examples of emotive, evocative and complex work that rises above. Games don't really have that yet, but I don't see any fundamental reason why the medium is incapable of it. Most art started off just painting what we saw right in front of our eyes, it took ages for almost any films to not be shallow and uninteresting, and most of the early history of novels is garbage trash that we don't even remember now.

We've only really been seeing "arty" games for the last ten or so years because indie games allow for it. Major studios put fun and gameplay first, artistic merit somewhere under a heap. The same is true of film studios and to an extent major publishing houses. They seek the widest audience possible for their blockbusters and big book titles, and they're usually pretty bankrupt artistically. Look at what's popular in all mediums and it's usually pretty much schlock. Half of the biggest films of the year are just superhero phone-ins.

The point is I don't see any inherent limiting factor for videogames. Given enough time, we'll probably see titles that people are happy to acquiesce have artistic merit. The only really interesting debate, for me, is whether games will necessitate new artistic considerations beyond narrative and aesthetic. Some would probably say perfect gameplay has a kind of beauty.

fart

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

mind the walrus posted:

:mrgw:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo if someone deems something art it is art. Whether it's the creator or an observer or whoever. Art isn't a compliment. There can be good art and bad art. "is it art" is always a stupid conversation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

Imo if someone deems something art it is art. Whether it's the creator or an observer or whoever. Art isn't a compliment. There can be good art and bad art. "is it art" is always a stupid conversation.

Bingo, boyo.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Art is a loving dude in the bowling league who sandbags big time early in the season then rolls 3 270 games when money is on the line.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
'art' (aesthetics) is a category of value invented by people like burke and kant in and around the eighteenth century. there are a lot of complicated assumptions caught up with 'art' as part of the larger idea of 'culture' that was also banging around at the time. a lot of these assumptions revolve(d) around how art was for rational rather than appetitive enjoyment, for disinterested rather than interested (commercial) ends. 'culture' was basically supposed to be the secular replacement for religion. most of these assumptions collapsed in the 1960s however when Warhol and Duchamps demolished the distinction between high values and low values, between art and commerce. so don't get too worried about the whole art problem.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2017

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Hideo Kojima is a gently caress hack.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

MrTargetPractice posted:

Hideo Kojima is a gently caress hack.

Apart from generally not liking MGS:TPP, or at least finding it vaguely meh, that guy's name slapped over everything really stuck out like a sore thumb. It was both funny and sad, but you've gotta have some kind of a complex to willingly have your name splashed like, no joke, what must be scores if not hundreds of times across the whole game's length. Not that I played far enough to see that for myself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You will regret your words and deeds.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jeza posted:

Apart from generally not liking MGS:TPP, or at least finding it vaguely meh, that guy's name slapped over everything really stuck out like a sore thumb. It was both funny and sad, but you've gotta have some kind of a complex to willingly have your name splashed like, no joke, what must be scores if not hundreds of times across the whole game's length. Not that I played far enough to see that for myself.

Iirc every mission had the names of the people who designed it in the "opening credits"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

The best parallel to movie editing would be scripted events.

Like instead of the helicopter crashing at the 56 minute mark in a movie, it's triggered by you walking through a door. It's still a carefully controlled environment, to some extent, but it's at a variable pace.

Ironically the sound side of editing is done in reverse, with the music brought in to dynamic tailor the scene instead of adding specific pre-set music to compliment a scene

DebonaireD posted:

I really don't think I have a complete misunderstanding of the medium. I wasn't really trying to call out whether games are or aren't art, but that video game making needs to invent new techniques like film did with editing in order to become not only better, but to clue the rest of us in on what it is that they really are. I don't think video games boil down to 'mechanics' or 'balance' with a presentation veneer on top - video games aren't just dressed up versions of chess and board games, or they aren't only those things. They could be a whole heck of a lot more but producers are worried about making sure things look filmic - and it is filmic, nobody is trying to make their games sound like music or read like a book - and its a real blind alley.
Maybe you didn't like the dancing bit. I read a good theory about how video games share traits with amusement parks instead - exciting set pieces strung together with long lines and tedious moments, among other things.

The thing with games is it actually varies. There's sports games and sandbox games and strategy games which are, basically, super advanced versions of a game like chess or a recreation of a sport. Then there's others that do nothing but tell a story and have very little else, but sometimes do it very well (See: Telltale Games).

The problem honestly is that video games are being all lumped into one thing. It'd be like me saying TV can't be art because the Nightly News is on TV, and it's not art. Of course there's all manner of variation. Your typical FPS can be highly story driven or not story driven at all depending on developer intent too, so mere genre isn't enough to draw the line.

Then there's games that blur the line. Like I was saying earlier, a game like, say, Half-Life is a good example of blending narrative and action into one thing, while also VERY important editing techniques hum behind the scenes - must like in movies - unknown to the player. Like a lot of scripted events make sure the camera is facing the right way, while visual and audio clues push the player towards the next carefully planned event in the chain. It's not exactly movie editing, but when you walked in the warehouse in Half-Life 1 where you first encounter the assassins, the doors slam shut and lights go out and you hear them running around you, then after a moment the music kicks in.. that right there, ladies and gentleman is a video game's form of film editing.

ED: While you can make a case for storyless games being art in and of themselves I think Half-Life is the first game to fully bridge the gap and make games more cinematic in general, probably why it came to mind.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 30, 2017

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I've always said video games have a lot more in common with plays than movies, plays are a 3d scene and are character focused, movies are merely a 2d picture and image focused

also the art of video games truly lies in the mechanics of the game, it's like asking what makes football "artful"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Magius1337est posted:

also the art of video games truly lies in the mechanics of the game, it's like asking what makes football "artful"

Yes, and if I asked that question people would probably start waxing poetic about competition and one in a million plays and it would make a lot of sense. But when someone asks me what makes video games artful and I say "daigos full parry" I get wierd looks

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Iirc every mission had the names of the people who designed it in the "opening credits"

This is the fine art of marketing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

2house2fly posted:

drat, the "skulls" parasite unit did a lot of work on that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

drat, the "skulls" parasite unit did a lot of work on that game

https://youtu.be/JYM-vPKyxfA#t=30