Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Can a big school please hire Bob Stitt as OC since he's out of a job now? I'd like to see what he can do at a big school with great athletes.

He’s said a bunch of time he doesn’t want to be an OC and can presumably can get a DII job if he wants it. Also I’m not sure there’s really anything the innovative or special about his offense at this point, people have been incorporating his stuff into their offenses for like a decade now. Montana is a really good FCS program that can get good athletes relative to that level and his team wasn’t very good. He’s not an amazing coach just because he’s the only FCS coach whose name you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Stitt was a really awkward fit at Montana because they had been known as a big defensive program for a while, and it's not like OCs these days don't know how to run jet sweeps and crossing routes

E: Most defenses at the P5 level are gonna be a hell of a lot better than D-II and FCS as well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I for one am shocked, just SHOCKED that a coach that was currently in a contract stalemate with another school might’ve used Tennessee to get a pay raise.

That never happens!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

2017 largely has sucked loving monkey balls, but this is good

Marshall is having a good season though, how can it be bad?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

:laffo: TAMU about to get Reverse Franchi-own-eed.

Do you mean forward Franchioned?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mahoning posted:

Manny Diaz?

gently caress no. Stay away. He's ours.

I expect him to be HC at Miami one day.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/936252075884687361

Nice work Dave!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If Tennessee if digging deep enough that they're going after Doeren, seems like Graham and Sumlin ought to be on the table at this point.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

General Dog posted:

If Tennessee if digging deep enough that they're going after Doeren, seems like Graham and Sumlin ought to be on the table at this point.

They're probably better off giving a service academy coach $100 million the way things are going.

(12 hours later)

"Source tells me #armyfootballl Jeff Monken who the #Vols have now targeted, has a contract offer in front of him from West Point with increases compensation and years, as well as an enhanced salary pool for his staff."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I remember the Nebraska coaching search that resulted in Callahan seeming ultra-humiliating for them at the time (seems like they were pretty publicly rejected several times and he was pretty far down the list), but it doesn't hold a candle to this.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

He’s said a bunch of time he doesn’t want to be an OC and can presumably can get a DII job if he wants it. Also I’m not sure there’s really anything the innovative or special about his offense at this point, people have been incorporating his stuff into their offenses for like a decade now. Montana is a really good FCS program that can get good athletes relative to that level and his team wasn’t very good. He’s not an amazing coach just because he’s the only FCS coach whose name you know.

So, you're arguing that the man that is creative and forward thinking enough to have major D1 coaches come to him to teach them his plays and has decent head coaching experience shouldn't be considered for an OC position because he once said he didn't want to be a coordinator and in your opinion the game has caught up with him? So what? A lot less competent people are OCs around college football.

And quit with that "only FCS coach whose name you know" bullshit, I have season tickets to Youngstown State, I watch FCS almost as much as FBS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

I for one am shocked, just SHOCKED that a coach that was currently in a contract stalemate with another school might’ve used Tennessee to get a pay raise.

That never happens!

Given what happen last night it wouldn't surprise me if Tennessee was like, 'Dave we think it might be better for you just to take the NC State offer'.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NotMattCampbell/status/936257138363596800

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Can’t decide which is funnier: Tennessee having a bad coach or Tennessee not having a coach at all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's like an echo from twenty years ago. Scott Frost saves the day for Nebraska, while Peyton Manning looks on helplessly from the sidelines.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

General Dog posted:

Graham and Sumlin are both good coaches who would field very competitive teams at UT and clearly be better hires than just about anyone mentioned so far other than Brohm.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It's really the perfect storm, Tennessee is throwing money around so desperately and publically we're watching them be blatantly used for raises because they're so toxic, it's still better to stay where you are in almost every situation where you're prominent enough that they'd want you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

So, you're arguing that the man that is creative and forward thinking enough to have major D1 coaches come to him to teach them his plays and has decent head coaching experience shouldn't be considered for an OC position because he once said he didn't want to be a coordinator and in your opinion the game has caught up with him? So what? A lot less competent people are OCs around college football.

And quit with that "only FCS coach whose name you know" bullshit, I have season tickets to Youngstown State, I watch FCS almost as much as FBS.

Then you should know his teams have been bad recently. Lots of guys have been good at lower levels and then unable to translate it when they move up. And he said a bunch of times he doesn’t want non-HC jobs. He got offers back when he was a hot name but he doesn’t want to work for someone else. That’s why he was at mines forever.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 30, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Tennessee should swoop in and steal Jimbo from A&M.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Can’t decide which is funnier: Tennessee having a bad coach or Tennessee not having a coach at all.

We’ve had bad coaches for the past decade, personally not having a coach at all and Dormady pulling a Lance Harbor on the sideline would be way more entertaining.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

General Dog posted:

I remember the Nebraska coaching search that resulted in Callahan seeming ultra-humiliating for them at the time (seems like they were pretty publicly rejected several times and he was pretty far down the list), but it doesn't hold a candle to this.

We didn't have social media back then, thank christ.

:eng101:"history" lesson:eng101:

It's widely believed (even the ex-UNL chancellor said as much) that Steve Pederson had a "gentleman's agreement" with someone to take the job before he fired Solich; for a long time, we thought it was Dave Wannstadt; he since has claimed it wasn't him, and now a lot of the media has since posited that it was Al Saunders, who was the Chiefs OC at the time.

That fell through, and so Pederson sent a goddamn jet to Fayetteville, but Houston Nutt wouldn't get on (and nevermind everything that's happened since, THANK GOD he didn't). Overtures were also supposedly made to Brad Childress, who wikipedia reminded me was the Eagles OC back then, and later Mike Zimmer (then Cowboys DC).

40 days later, Callahan kind of fell in his lap. Rumor is that Pederson was gonna reach out to Chuck Amato if that fell through.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Do you mean forward Franchioned?

Apparently yes I do goddamn. Historically dyslexic, apparently.

Wonder who will be FSUs Mike Price. And then their Mike Shula.

Real Name Grover posted:

We didn't have social media back then, thank christ.

It's widely believed (even the ex-UNL chancellor said as much) that Steve Pederson had a "gentleman's agreement" with someone to take the job before he fired Solich; for a long time, we thought it was Dave Wannstadt; he since has claimed it wasn't him, and now a lot of the media has since posited that it was Al Saunders, who was the Chiefs OC at the time.

Hahahahahah. Al Saunders and his famous 800 page West Coast playbook would’ve been a spectacular fail at Nebraska. Even moreso than fuckin Callahan.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 30, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Latest candidate list

-Jim Grobe
-Sonny Dykes
-Monty Kiffin
-Skip Holtz
-A lock of Bear Bryant's hair taped to a roomba
-Lou Holtz
-Jay Paterno
-Mack Brown
-Watson Brown
-R.C. Slocum
-Rob Ryan

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 30, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

They've reached out to worse

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/GlennJacobsTN/status/936251157869158400

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We do have really nice grass on the hill

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

College Football Insider Kane.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The Big Red Retard is right

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

idk, Herman's gonna get a couple more seasons at least

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Hahahahahah. Al Saunders and his famous 800 page West Coast playbook would’ve been a spectacular fail at Nebraska. Even moreso than fuckin Callahan.

I'm more terrified by Wannstedt by far, there was so much evidence already that was never going to work.

Also Saunders isn't a west coast offense guy, he's an Air Coryell guy. I'm sure it wouldn't have worked (especially in the short term with Nebraska's personnel at the time), but it's not like they were thinking of hiring Gruden--to bring this back to Tennessee.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
poo poo, Callahan spent every Sunday abeautifulminding the poo poo out of game tape and his playbook

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Please be respectful of Dave Wannstedt, the most successful Pitt coach of the last 30 years

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

48 hours from now: Tennessee shuts down football program after being forced to pay five coaches who never actually start job, UAB, FSU and Miami joins the SEC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I've seen this chart pop over up the year, and if it is true it is ridiculous the revenue vs. expenses. Now they want contributions of over $300 million to pay for stadium renovations? Nah.

https://twitter.com/JT_SAR_Fball/status/936248563134287873

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nate fisher posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends with Fulmer taking over for a year or two with Chavis back as DC and someone as OC being groomed to take care once Fulmer steps down (like Tee Martin).

Robert Gillespie has been quite good as an assistant. I hope he stays on. The biggest issue with the running game is not the running backs, but how beat up our O-line is.

Fulmer bringing some stability to the program then stepping up as AD likely wouldn't be the worse idea,

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

the only two usernames on here i've ever cared about are 'big money big clit' and 'HUGE PUBES A PLUS.'

i'm sensing a pattern

DO Y'ALL WANT A HAM

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

gently caress everything. I thought ASU might slip from decent to subpar, but Herm Edwards is a "destroy everything" level bad move. So much for competing with USC for the Pac 12 South, we're aiming to compete with Tennessee for biggest management debacle.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess FSU is a basketball scho----*sobs* :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

40 days later, Callahan kind of fell in his lap. Rumor is that Pederson was gonna reach out to Chuck Amato if that fell through.

Amato was a year removed from winning 11 games at friggin NC State, so it wasn't a preposterous idea at the time, if only for that fleeting moment.

• Locked thread