Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Brosnan channels Gerry Adams almost perfectly in that movie.

How many times does he claim to not be nor ever have been in the IRA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

How many times does he claim to not be nor ever have been in the IRA?

Well, the interesting thing is that Brosnan's doing a Gerry Adams impression in terms of his voice and his look, but the character is actually Martin McGuinness.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I watched the new blair witch movie and it sucked.

The main IIMM was that head cams with GPS and multi day battery life could exist back in 2014, but my biggest IIMM was that the plot kinda went sideways for a bit. There's a spot where a girl cuts her foot in the creek, and the next few shots always involve her having this weird snapping noise in her foot/ankle, and even a weird muscle spasm thing, and the payoff is basically just "Oh, there was a bug in her leg". Wtf? That was just, flat out weird. I thought it'd end up being some kind of possession or something, but nope, just a bug in her foot.

Also, god drat is it weird to me that people will gladly go off into the woods but not bring a gun or rifle. Granted I don't think a ghost or a witch can be bothered with bullets, but if I'm rolling through bear country god drat right I'm bringing something, even if it's just to kill myself so I don't have to be eaten alive.

I hike 80 miles a week in rural Alaska and I don't even own a gun. I have a bottle of bear spray, and in my entire life I've only had to spray two black bears and they sprinted away as fast as they possibly could. Nothing fucks with a skunk, you know?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Got it, stock up on Witch Spray before going into the woods

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Amoeba102 posted:

Probably an oldish one: The Imitation game: "you-ler's" theorem

On a similar note Ronin[ has Robert De Niro loving up the pronunciation of Hereford (Here-fud, instead of He-re-fud). This wouldn’t be so bad if the context was different: he’s trying to out Sean Bean’s character as a pretend SAS tough guy by proving he doesn’t know the colour of the boathouse at the SAS training facility, when unfortunately he can’t even pronounce it’s loving name properly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

On a similar note Ronin[ has Robert De Niro loving up the pronunciation of Hereford (Here-fud, instead of He-re-fud). This wouldn’t be so bad if the context was different: he’s trying to out Sean Bean’s character as a pretend SAS tough guy by proving he doesn’t know the colour of the boathouse at the SAS training facility, when unfortunately he can’t even pronounce it’s loving name properly.

:agreed:

Clarice please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEQZiElLp-E

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God Hole posted:

I know it wasn't entirely a serious movie (and probably has some parallels in reality, considering the entire movie is an allegory for climate change), but I found it a little absurd in Pacific Rim that all the world's governments would agree that the best way to handle a wormhole that has proven to infinitely spawn giant, destructive monsters at an exponential rate, would be to de-fund the giant robot program that had been working up till then and build a giant wall and forget about it.

I mean, a big part of the beginning of the movie is that the Jager program wasn't working like it used to and the bigger Kaiju were starting to kill a lot of them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Torquemada posted:

He's an American, though, he shouldn't be expected to know how to pronounce British towns correctly.

He *should* know that all the bullshit he spouts about Teflon bullets is totally inaccurate.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Banana Canada posted:

Not sure if it has been posted before but:

https://youtu.be/NvDvESEXcgE

Features

My favourite part of this dude is his Fake Language episode, where he criticises Robin Williams for saying "nanu nanu" like an American. It's absolutely true, but utterly pedantic.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My irritating movie moment is seeing The Plague Dogs being advertised as a lighthearted adventure movie for kids:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
It's nice that they included that big red warning right below the title, though.

Seriously, Watership Down was traumatizing as a kid.

Edit: and reading the Wikipedia summary of Plague Dogs, gently caress that movie too.

Riot Carol Danvers has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Nov 29, 2017

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you let your kids watch Plague Dogs, they will become serial killers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They changed the ending of Plague Dogs for the movie, to be worse.

e: I really like the song at the end though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9A3aH2toqs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Seriously, Watership Down was traumatizing as a kid.

Watership Down didn't bother me too much when I was little.

Animals of Farthing Wood, on the other hand...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Watership Down didn't bother me too much when I was little.

I didn't see Watership Down until I was an adult but The Fox and the Hound was a little rough.

I didn't see Marley and Me either but I heard it was depressing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Watership Down and Plague Dogs kind of go beyond "depressing," though. Like I mean this is an honest-to-goodness scene from "a special kind of movie magic" film Plague Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--6tLXVhWE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

I didn't see Watership Down until I was an adult but The Fox and the Hound was a little rough.

Fox and the Hound isn't the most memorable of Disney movies but it has that one scene at the end which I think is great despite how maudlin it is:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Plague Dogs opens with a dog being forced to swim until exhaustion, where he passes out to the bottom of a pool, only to be rescued and being set up to do it again, like he has done many times before. His friend had experimental surgeries done in his brain that left him hosed up. Neither of those are the worst things that happens in the movie.

It's the most effective PSA against Animal Experimentation.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I didn't notice Mark Walhburg's Boston accent until Max Payne. It made a bad movie a bit more confusing.

No offense but that seems like not noticing Joe Pesci is from New Jersey.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HopperUK posted:

They changed the ending of Plague Dogs for the movie, to be worse.

Watership down brutally murdered characters that survived the book, then decided that didn't slake their bloodthirst and added extra characters so they could have horrible deaths too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

No offense but that seems like not noticing Joe Pesci is from New Jersey.

And they admitted they saw the Max Payne movie.

I'm irritated.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Seventh Arrow posted:

My irritating movie moment is seeing The Plague Dogs being advertised as a lighthearted adventure movie for kids:

As a kid, I loved Watership Down. I still get a tremendous feeling of nostalgia when I think of it. Whenever they'd run it on TV when I was a kid, I'd make sure to watch it. I still feel the panic that the rabbits feel about the poison and the fear of the snare when I think of it. I haven't seen it in years and I should probably see if my oldest daughter can make it through. She's 10 so she should be fine.

Of course, when I was her age, my favorite movies were Amadeus and Name of the Rose so I may have skewed outlook on life.

To reflect upon bad advertising, Fanny and Alexander by Ingmar Bergman. Not the "laugh a minute romp" that the back cover of the VHS claimed. Not "laugh a minute" at all. Not at all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I super, super have nostalgic love for the opening legend sequence of Watership Down

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In movies I don't get upset when someone mispronounces a local word.
This is mostly because where I live we have a fair amount of Native American names in our city. There are thousands of people that were born and raised here that cannot say them correctly.

It's dumb but whatever.
An actor doing an accent and pronouncing something wrong is nothing to me.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

mostlygray posted:

As a kid, I loved Watership Down. I still get a tremendous feeling of nostalgia when I think of it. Whenever they'd run it on TV when I was a kid, I'd make sure to watch it. I still feel the panic that the rabbits feel about the poison and the fear of the snare when I think of it. I haven't seen it in years and I should probably see if my oldest daughter can make it through. She's 10 so she should be fine.

Of course, when I was her age, my favorite movies were Amadeus and Name of the Rose so I may have skewed outlook on life.

To reflect upon bad advertising, Fanny and Alexander by Ingmar Bergman. Not the "laugh a minute romp" that the back cover of the VHS claimed. Not "laugh a minute" at all. Not at all.

please do not traumatize your daughter freindo

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I watched the new blair witch movie and it sucked.

The main IIMM was that head cams with GPS and multi day battery life could exist back in 2014, but my biggest IIMM was that the plot kinda went sideways for a bit. There's a spot where a girl cuts her foot in the creek, and the next few shots always involve her having this weird snapping noise in her foot/ankle, and even a weird muscle spasm thing, and the payoff is basically just "Oh, there was a bug in her leg". Wtf? That was just, flat out weird. I thought it'd end up being some kind of possession or something, but nope, just a bug in her foot.

Also, god drat is it weird to me that people will gladly go off into the woods but not bring a gun or rifle. Granted I don't think a ghost or a witch can be bothered with bullets, but if I'm rolling through bear country god drat right I'm bringing something, even if it's just to kill myself so I don't have to be eaten alive.

Perhaps it was something that was going to come up in an earlier draft of the script? Or maybe just a gross out moment in the middle of the absolute nothing going on in 99% of the movie.

The only part that was well done when the main chick was crawling around under the house in the end and she gets stuck for like a minute in the tunnel and she starts freaking out. I'm not claustrophobic or anything but that whole bit was just super,super uncomfortable to watch in a good way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sometimes think I should track down a copy of that and watch it, because it was always on TV when I was young but I'd only ever see random episodes and think "this is obviously something you're suppose to watch from the start." I'd try to remember to catch it next time it looped back around to the start but it was practically impossible to know when that was going to be and I never managed to catch it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Tony Stark has all these extra suits lying around and makes special tech for Peter. Why doesn't he hook up underpowered heroes like Hawkeye and Widow?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Tony Stark has all these extra suits lying around and makes special tech for Peter. Why doesn't he hook up underpowered heroes like Hawkeye and Widow?

you ever try to give a relative like a chromecast or a laptop or something you had a spare of?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Who says he didn't? Widow's got super-stunners on her hands and Hawkeye has a zillion trick arrows and a fancy quiver that keeps them held at every angle.

Though it probably makes sense given they're experienced super-special forces, compared to Spider-Man being an amateur superhero, Spidey got better at using both his powers and his suit through practice and experience, while those two are already adults set in their ways. War Machine's another story, but his skillset transfers well to using his own power armour.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a real good question. At the very least he should be putting together armor for them, even if they can't spare the time to understand how to fly and use an Iron Man armor of their own.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Who's to say their tactilol costumes aren't all teched up helping with lactic acid build up and stabilizing injuries and poo poo

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Who says he didn't? Widow's got super-stunners on her hands and Hawkeye has a zillion trick arrows and a fancy quiver that keeps them held at every angle.

Though it probably makes sense given they're experienced super-special forces, compared to Spider-Man being an amateur superhero, Spidey got better at using both his powers and his suit through practice and experience, while those two are already adults set in their ways. War Machine's another story, but his skillset transfers well to using his own power armour.

Where does Hawkeye get his arrows from? I know he runs out in the first Avengers movie, but even before then he must fire so many of the drat things that you'd think he'd be covered in them from head to toe before the fight.

That quiver looks like it has enough room for 10.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Black Widow is usually working as a covert operative who can only have minimal equipment in the field, so an Iron Man suit wouldn't be all that useful to her. Plus her and Hawkeye are skeptical and distrusting people and probably don't like the idea of being beholden to Tony for their equipment, especially when at least one of the three is going rogue at any one time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They showed in AoU that Hawkeye has those little mini arrows that are in clips and extend out to full size. I'd imagine he stores a few extra clips on him when he's adventuring. Stark made those, so he does outfit the team with stuff.

He's just sort of limited on what sort of stuff they want/need.

Apparently Thor has a belt that's made by him, Spidey got some armor, I'd imagine Cap's uniform has some shielding or armor in there, Widow has the stunners and mini stunner things.

Just cause he's not decking em out in full body IM armor doesn't mean he isn't tweaking stuff for em.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I'd imagine Cap's uniform has some shielding
yeah it's called his shield

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

They showed in AoU that Hawkeye has those little mini arrows that are in clips and extend out to full size. I'd imagine he stores a few extra clips on him when he's adventuring. Stark made those, so he does outfit the team with stuff.

He's just sort of limited on what sort of stuff they want/need.

Apparently Thor has a belt that's made by him, Spidey got some armor, I'd imagine Cap's uniform has some shielding or armor in there, Widow has the stunners and mini stunner things.

Just cause he's not decking em out in full body IM armor doesn't mean he isn't tweaking stuff for em.

Tony Stark made a goddamned magic asgardian belt?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Tony Stark made a goddamned magic asgardian belt?

Tony Stark learned how to cast spells, because any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

yeah it's called his shield

Which in MCU was made by a Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Tony Stark learned how to cast spells, because any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

his ability to call his armor to him from any distance is really no different from thor's ability to summon his hammer to himself