Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Fun fact: the same person wrote both songs. (The line "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that" even appears in a different song on the same album as "Total Eclipse Of The Heart".)

:monocle:

Air Supply, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Manilow, and Celine Dion. That guy's music was the soundtrack for so many big haired sexual escapades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

Bat Out of Hell III also had songs written for a musical version of the movie Cry-Baby that ended up unused.
The original Bat Out of Hell grew out of a rock opera about Peter Pan called Neverland, too.

Sure, I used to have the Meat Loaf episode of VH1 Storytellers on dvd and he has a bit where he explains how most of the songs Steinman has written were done with this Peter Pan musical in mind, because Steinman (who as I recall he described as "one weird dude") is completely obsessed with Peter Pan.

Another fun fact: Steinman was at one point asked by Andrew Lloyd Webber to write the libretto and help with the score of The Phantom of the Opera because his original vision was that it would be this really over-the-top rock opera. Unfortunately, Steinman was busy producing Def Leppard albums at the time and by the time he was available, Lloyd Webber had decided Phantom would be less rock-focused and more classical.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dee Snyder has a live Xmas show. I was hoping to catch it this year.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

:monocle:

Air Supply, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Manilow, and Celine Dion. That guy's music was the soundtrack for so many big haired sexual escapades.

If it's a hit from the late 70s to the mid 90s and is really over-the-top operatic rock for people with big hair, Steinman was probably involved.
If it has a simple and catchy guitar hook and a chorus that goes "Woaaaaaaaaah!" a lot for people with big hair, Desmond Child was probably involved.
Otherwise, it was probably Diane Warren.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

Otherwise, it was probably Diane Warren.

Either her or Michael Bolton.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another fun fact: Steinman was at one point asked by Andrew Lloyd Webber to write the libretto and help with the score of The Phantom of the Opera because his original vision was that it would be this really over-the-top rock opera. Unfortunately, Steinman was busy producing Def Leppard albums at the time and by the time he was available, Lloyd Webber had decided Phantom would be less rock-focused and more classical.
I absolutely would have gone to see that versoin of Phantom.

(also username makes post)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you're in the mood for a rock opera I don't think the subject matter is all that important.

Hundred Years War rock opera. Why the gently caress not?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(also username makes post)

Then watch Phantom of the Paradise. It's loving amazing. My dad showed it to my brother and I to show us something he was into when he was our age.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
This kinda fits the theme of the thread...

https://youtu.be/8XlhRL3D3Sw

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Volcott posted:

If you're in the mood for a rock opera I don't think the subject matter is all that important.

Christopher Lee made a Charlemagne one and it rules

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Finding out that the theme song for M*A*S*H* had lyrics, and then listening to those lyrics...

:suicide:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Eclipse12 posted:

Finding out that the theme song for M*A*S*H* had lyrics, and then listening to those lyrics...

Good news, that smilie didn't feel anything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think the first couple of episodes played lyrics.

Hawkeye's behavior towards women DID NOT age well. More people should have been Frank Burns.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

A 14-year old wrote the lyrics in five minutes. Apparently no one was even slightly concerned about him, lol.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As I understand it, that song's lyrics were deliberately written to be as maudlin as humanly possible. Like it's supposed to sound ridiculous.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

A 14-year old wrote the lyrics in five minutes. Apparently no one was even slightly concerned about him, lol.

That was Robert Altman's son. Altman made $70,000 to direct MASH and his son made over a million on the theme song. And only the instrumental was used in the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As far as I'm aware, the sole legacy of that version was this music video for the title song which predated the West End production by a year or two. Sarah Brightman is in it, but unfortunately, Lloyd Webber was chums with Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel at the time and cast him as the Phantom, which doesn't quite work, as you'll hear if you watch the video. Michael Crawford he is not.

If you were going to make a full-on rock opera version of Phantom of the Opera, you'd need to have either Freddie Mercury or Roger Daltrey playing the Phantom.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was Robert Altman's son. Altman made $70,000 to direct MASH and his son made over a million on the theme song. And only the instrumental was used in the show.

And then The Manic Street Preachers covered it as a charity single to benefit The Spastics Society.

Foolhorn
Dec 5, 2003

Remember kids, be like Billy. Behave yourself.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hawkeye's behavior towards women DID NOT age well. More people should have been Frank Burns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

It was the 1950's. Every one of those women would have been shunned as a harlot the moment she got back from the war. Hawkeye ruined so many lives.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hawkeye would get essentially neutered as the show went on.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I love the episode where he doesn't hit on the short and curvy nurse, and is completely oblivious to her overtures toward him. She calls him on being a shallow rear end in a top hat, he feels bad and decides he wants to pity bang her--but when he goes to her tent she's already got a hot piece of man flesh waiting inside for her, hahaha.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

artsy fartsy posted:

I love the episode where he doesn't hit on the short and curvy nurse, and is completely oblivious to her overtures toward him. She calls him on being a shallow rear end in a top hat, he feels bad and decides he wants to pity bang her--but when he goes to her tent she's already got a hot piece of man flesh waiting inside for her, hahaha.

She was a great character overall.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought it was implied that EVERYONE was basically flirting or hooking up all the time as an escape.

And wasn't Frank cheating on his spouse? Who he married for money? Then lying to Margaret about leaving his wife for her?

Whatever, Winchester was awesome. He was a pompous rear end, but he stood up for the little guy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Canemacar posted:

Whatever, Winchester was awesome. He was a pompous rear end, but he stood up for the little guy.

He did help the guy with a stutter because his sister had one as well. And then there was that soldier who was an aspiring pianist and lost the use of one arm, so Winchester found him some music for one hand.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, watch the movie. The context of the lyrics is that the gang is playing a "prank" on the suicidal dentist of the unit, nicknamed "Painless" as a sort of tough love thing to get him out of his funk.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Volcott posted:

Rick Wakeman staged his album The Myths and the Legends of King Arthur as an ice show.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I love Robert Altman and the tv show MASH but the MASH movie is garbage, and very misogynistic. 3 Women is his money movie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Klinger's entire character is offensive too

It's shocking that such a problematic show is still in syndication

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Canemacar posted:

I thought it was implied that EVERYONE was basically flirting or hooking up all the time as an escape.

And wasn't Frank cheating on his spouse? Who he married for money? Then lying to Margaret about leaving his wife for her?

The guy that played Frank was SO good in finding the razor thin line between pitiful and detestable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

The guy that played Frank was SO good in finding the razor thin line between pitiful and detestable.

Larry Linville. Subject of the weirdest grafitti I've ever seen. Walked into a bathroom stall and somebody had written on the inside door:

Larry Linville is DAT nigga

I guess it's possible they were talking about somebody else, but it seems funnier this way.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Dec 1, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Klinger's entire character is offensive too

It's shocking that such a problematic show is still in syndication

Know what else is offensive? The draft.

By 1950s standards, he was acting crazy as gently caress. At no point did he express gender dysphoria.

I may be missing :thejoke:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Beachcomber posted:

Know what else is offensive? The draft.

By 1950s standards, he was acting crazy as gently caress. At no point did he express gender dysphoria.

I may be missing :thejoke:

you're supposed to ignore that he's faking to be sent home, then be outraged that he's a bad trans character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the idea of Altman deliberately consulting his 14 year old song to get the most teenage-poetry lyrics he could.

And pretty sure Joan of Arc would fit perfectly in a rock opera. Though I misread that and thought Thirty Years War rock opera, which you could probably stick The Trooper in pretty seamlessly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rock operas, as a genre, age badly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was gonna say Tommy but yeah...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Then watch Phantom of the Paradise. It's loving amazing. My dad showed it to my brother and I to show us something he was into when he was our age.

Seriously, watch Phantom of the Paradise. My city (Winnipeg) single-handily kept it from being quickly forgotten and made the album go Gold in sales despite it being a movie that basically died opening weekend everywhere else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's insane to me, given MASH's popularity, that none of the streaming services have done a Catch-22 series.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me, given MASH's popularity, that none of the streaming services have done a Catch-22 series.

Because it'd make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a TV episode that didn't age well, but this week's South Park was about Kyle realizing the comedy of his heroes Terrance and Philip didn't age well.