Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's also helpful to remember that even if you completely whiff on doing damage, you still apply status effects. Landing a poison or stun or curse can make all the difference even if no damage comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So when you play two player, can you just reasonably play two characters each, to make the game mechanics like a four player game?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SlyFrog posted:

So when you play two player, can you just reasonably play two characters each, to make the game mechanics like a four player game?

You could, yeah. Though that would remove a lot of uncertainty, so you probably should go +1 difficulty as per the solo/open information variant.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SlyFrog posted:

It'd be easier than four players (because you can perfectly coordinate your two characters), so you might want to do something similar to the solo variant rules and bump the difficulty without giving yourself any extra rewards. It should be technically doable though, if you feel like the four-character game is going to be more interesting than with two.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SlyFrog posted:

If you want. I can understand wanting to try out all the characters but believe me there'll be plenty to do even if you stick to 1 guy each. It's recommended that you increase the difficulty a bit when you're playing 2 characters solo, to make up for the fact that you can perfectly coordinate between them, so you might want to bump it up a bit. Also when retiring you should track each character as their own 'player', since you get some stuff based on number of characters you personally have retired.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

dwarf74 posted:

I just wanted to say how impressed I have been so far with the Gloomhaven community as a whole.

I've been reading about this game all over the place since right around when the first KS fulfilled. So it's been a while! And - miracle of miracles - I haven't been spoiled on anything significant yet. Not even the names of the advanced classes.

Punching the cardboard has seriously been the biggest 'spoiler' I've encountered. Oh - and when setting up for YASS - there's that envelope hidden below the insert. Is there an in-game event that triggers its opening, or is it seriously just when you think you're ready, whenever that might be? I'm being super cautious even though I'm pretty sure nearly everyone has found it, and figure if nothing else, I'll wait a while with my group before opening it.

Response to your spoiler:

There is nothing that triggers opening it besides what is printed on the envelope. However, I recommend you don’t open it until (MINOR unlock spoiler):

After you unlock envelope X

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Thanks to Bomb and Jordan and misguided rage for the constructive advice. Probably won't post in this thread anymore but any interested parties should check SA mart in a couple of weeks in case I drop a used copy.

If you are in Denver or Chicago we can make something happen.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Red Shoe posted:

Response to your spoiler:

There is nothing that triggers opening it besides what is printed on the envelope. However, I recommend you don’t open it until (MINOR unlock spoiler):

After you unlock envelope X
Appreciate it. That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Same actually. Cool.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Mindthief has a stance or whatever that gives 1 shield right? That will let you tank just as well as a level 1 brute - from then on it's a matter of healing, with max HP making a small difference. But nobody besides some obscenely tanky characters should be trying to tank - you should be trying to get in/out, CC enemies etc. A brute can die "tanking" the first room of the game.

I actually don't like this game very much. I'm hoping it gets better but I'm feeling like a sucker.

The initial punch out and setup was loving awful, I had to do it over 3 days. Would it have killed him to have a "this is what you need for first time setup" stuff to get the game from box to table in less than 3 hours? Jesus.

Also, I have a dedicated room in my house for games with a dedicated table and without that this game would have been nightmarish, seriously it's bad. I also really hate that most board games expect you to drop 20 - 40 dollars more on storage solutions, this is a flaw with the industry not Gloomhaven per say but Gloomhaven is legit terrible and near unplayable without the organizers.

The first mission has gone badly for my wife and I (Brute and Mindfreak), we got back-to-back Null draws on big plays with powerful cards being lost and so we've struggled badly after that. Really felt like an RNG screw-job. We've been struggling ever since that round and I'm certain we're going to lose, but we feel compelled to play through. I consider a campaign starter scenario that you can fail to be an absolute fuckup of design, btw.

There's a huge aspect of Cult of the New in boardgaming and Gloomhaven is the gift that keeps on giving in that aspect. New classes and of course new setups and tons of monsters. A little gaming holiday every so often. And the card gameplay is good, if a little dry, but I don't know. It's all based on an RNG system that really hosed us bad. I get that as you level up the RNG becomes a lot less important but I really got a sour taste in my mouth after that. The setup and storage stuff is not great. Not really looking forward to getting back to it.

I'm hoping this will click with me soon. I would have hate to have wasted 3 hours of my life on punching cards and cardboard for nothing.

It took my friend and me 2 hours to pop everything and put every individual monster and tile type into super OCD baggies that he has, watch the tutorial videos and set up the first map, so I call bullshit on it taking you 3 hours to unbox it.

You absolutely do not need to buy an organizer for gloomhaven but you do need to bag some stuff up (baggies for each monster type as described ad nauseum) which is a thing you have to do in almost all games that don't come with (enough) baggies. All the other components except tiles either fit in their original spots or stack on top.

The first mission is pretty difficult and you suck at the game at first so I can see getting double misses (1/400 chance occurrence) would be pretty frustrating. Even at level 1 the RNG is not very important - later the average pull from the deck just goes up so you can be a bit less conservative. Actually, for most classes the chance to miss goes up because you're removing or replacing cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only scenario me and my SO have lost so far was because my SO stacked a 16 damage attack on one-shotting the earth demon and she drew a null, this made her exhaust the character 3 turns before my one was exhausted and my Brute was 1 monster away from clearing an entire room by himself. We then played exactly the same scenario and played a bit more cautiously and didn't use our "lose card" abilities as much and we finished the scenario easily even though we still had a couple of critical 'null attack' draws. Although I'm pretty experienced at games, my SO isn't really that much of a gamer, although she really digs Gloomhaven. And if you really, really hate drawing nulls (in my mind they add a sense of uncertainty about actions that is necessary in order to make the game work), then just use the less randomness rule variant that the rules themselves suggest.

I didn't really have many issues with unboxing the game myself, although I had bought a lot of envelopes thanks to advice of one of my friends, and divided up all the monsters. Then again, I've spent hours unboxing board wargames and clipping counters, so my own experiences with unboxing stuff might be slightly skewed :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vehementi posted:

It took my friend and me 2 hours to pop everything and put every individual monster and tile type into super OCD baggies that he has, watch the tutorial videos and set up the first map, so I call bullshit on it taking you 3 hours to unbox it.

So it took you 4 man hours and somehow me taking 3 (I sleeved some cards and individually bagged stuff too) is out of bounds. gently caress off. Tired of being told that I didn't actually have the experience that I actually did have. What a joke.

Edit: I said it before but I'll reiterate: if we flop the scenario I'm going to replay it (and probably the next couple of missions) with the less RNG variant, I got hosed by an edge case and I've recognized that from the beginning.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RNG got me last night. Had two shield 1 enemies real low to kill and then rush across the map to support cragheart. Mindthief and brute had basic attack card and a good move card out. We both failed to kill our target with a miss and minus 2 draw.

Led to a big decision. The brute sacrificed himself staying behind to kill them and then get some gold or whatever with his last round before exhaustion, while the mindthief booked it. Beat the scenario with 1 character standing (cragheart never dies). It was awesome and fun and a mundane scenario forced a difficult change in strategy and became tense and awesome. I like this game a fair bit.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah. Doing our 5th scenario tomorrow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any word on online retailers? I'd love to preorder a copy to gift a friend but I can't find anywhere that's doing preorders, best I've found is a restock notification on CSI but that's probably not reliable (it will probably sell out immediately before my notification triggers).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cragheart can do so much 'just happens' damage if he wants to burn cards. Its pretty awesome. It's more effective on shield or retaliate enemies and not hitpoint sponges. But drat, its really fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bombadilillo posted:

Cragheart can do so much 'just happens' damage if he wants to burn cards. Its pretty awesome. It's more effective on shield or retaliate enemies and not hitpoint sponges. But drat, its really fun.

I actually really, really like how, how shall I put it, elemental weaknesses work (so far). There's a lot less (though not none) of the whole "fire is strong against ice, so it does extra damage or does cool stuff" and crap like that.

But...cragheart is super good against big shield low hp enemies...which so far we've seen is wind demons. Which means it's fuckin mechanics that determine what is strong against what, instead of narratively saying "and now you do double damage and have to remember that exception with a whole mess of others".

Basically all I'm saying is that instead of having to remember exceptions, you get to use your skills in such a way that it makes total sense someone might say a given element is diametrically opposed to another. Super fuckin cool. Let the mechanics help the theme, instead of squashing them to fit the theme.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It is super cool, also Night demons and sun demons
Will
consume the opposite element that's out and hurt or curse themselves
So just the atmosphere you create in the world it doing it. If you have a mana potion and go before them you can see the card and pop it, just watch them all suffer. Its super cool, also a little RNGie so you don't just walk up to a fire thing and use ice and win(or remember a extra +1 like another game would). Its a unique twist. But yeah you can have a huge hitter like the brute or the scoundrel and they are not always the most effective at killing specific things.

I never feel like any character is just there to be a healbot, or support, (maybe tinkerer?) everyone is important and useful and fun.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got my shipping notice. Game is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

This is a German order of Game + extra minis (in case I gently caress up the paint job).
So I guess if you ordered from Germany with any extras your notice should be coming soon as the games with add ons were supposedly the last orders in line to be processed by happyshop or whatever their name is.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are you going to paint them all at once? Or as they are revealed to keep the mystery alive?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
During our first few plays I (somehow) established a reputation for charging ahead and grabbing treasure at the expense of common sense or mission goals. Then last scenario I picked up the combat goal to loot no money or treasure. I ended up off on one side of the map by myself with only one enemy and an overlay chest, and it was a real struggle to convince someone to come over and get the chest, and that I wouldn't just steal it out from under them. If it hadn't been for two checkmarks I might have taken it anyway. Fortunately I convinced them of my good intentions, and my friend ran over and grabbed the chest. It ended up being damage and poison so I'd say it worked out for everybody.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Any word on online retailers? I'd love to preorder a copy to gift a friend but I can't find anywhere that's doing preorders, best I've found is a restock notification on CSI but that's probably not reliable (it will probably sell out immediately before my notification triggers).

Discount Games Inc put it up for preorder today.
http://www.discountgamesinc.com/gloomhaven.html

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

head58 posted:

Discount Games Inc put it up for preorder today.
http://www.discountgamesinc.com/gloomhaven.html
Lol thanks but

quote:

United States Postal Service
USPS Retail Ground $61.58
Priority Mail 3-Day $67.60
Priority Mail Express 2-Day $142.95

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

misguided rage posted:

During our first few plays I (somehow) established a reputation for charging ahead and grabbing treasure at the expense of common sense or mission goals. Then last scenario I picked up the combat goal to loot no money or treasure. I ended up off on one side of the map by myself with only one enemy and an overlay chest, and it was a real struggle to convince someone to come over and get the chest, and that I wouldn't just steal it out from under them. If it hadn't been for two checkmarks I might have taken it anyway. Fortunately I convinced them of my good intentions, and my friend ran over and grabbed the chest. It ended up being damage and poison so I'd say it worked out for everybody.

Hell yeah. That's a tough checkmark, because you end up near the end of the scenario, and you don't wanna leave that juicy juicy treasure, but it might be bad. But its a treasure you can never get again. But 2 checkmarks is huge, that's a perk probably. But....

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol thanks but

:eyepop:

Stores that don't offer free shipping aren't going to sell this game even with the massive hype.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got my shipping notice this afternoon, I hope the delivery guy doesn't die

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Hell yeah. That's a tough checkmark, because you end up near the end of the scenario, and you don't wanna leave that juicy juicy treasure, but it might be bad. But its a treasure you can never get again. But 2 checkmarks is huge, that's a perk probably. But....

You can always rerun a scenario in casual mode to loot any missed treasure.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

You can always rerun a scenario in casual mode to loot any missed treasure.

Yeah, but that feels thematically unsatisfying to me. Then again. Winning but my guys just walk back to gloomhaven sad and didn't get the treasure in the room after they murdered everything doesn't either.

But replaying to get the treasure, knowing we can all die because who cares about victory means we can just walk to it and then get punched to death to end it. That's not challenging. Cut out that middleman and just take it if you re going to do that.

Along the same lines a road event happened that opened a side mission that sounded super cool. Wasn't sure by the rules if we were supposed to be able to just go to it. BUT we could start the mission all just die and then go to where we wanted. So we just switched missions, did another road event and went there.

And it was awesome.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, but that feels thematically unsatisfying to me. Then again. Winning but my guys just walk back to gloomhaven sad and didn't get the treasure in the room after they murdered everything doesn't either.

But replaying to get the treasure, knowing we can all die because who cares about victory means we can just walk to it and then get punched to death to end it. That's not challenging. Cut out that middleman and just take it if you re going to do that.
Yeah pretty much. The treasure we've seen so far seems to be fairly minor flavour stuff, we'd be upset about missing out on a potential side scenario but not enough to re-run the mission. I checked the one chest we missed and it wasn't anything we cared about too much so we just let it go, but if we did decide that it was a must-have I can't imagine that we would reset the board and just sprint through, that seems way too gamey. And with the length of time it takes to finish a scenario playing it through properly for a second time would be unsatisfying too. I would probably just 'cheat' and give us the thing, although unless it is something really special I'm okay with missing out on stuff.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Are you going to paint them all at once? Or as they are revealed to keep the mystery alive?

Well I was planning to only do it once revealed. But seeing how many people have issues with faulty glue and stuff, I will spend all Sunday punching out and inspecting every single piece. I'd rather ask for replacements now than find out stuff is missing/broken in a years time. But I'll only spoiler myself so that's fine.

Also I never painted minis before, hence the backups, these won't be the result you are looking for.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Get some army men or bargain bin models and practice!

The minis paining thread OP is super helpful if you haven't found that

I know you have spares. But there's not just one of each class. You could totally paint a different scheme on the second mindthief someone plays. I'm a bit jelly. I'll paint mine sometime but that would require not playing Gloomhaven for a bit. Nope

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 30, 2017

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

So it took you 4 man hours and somehow me taking 3 (I sleeved some cards and individually bagged stuff too) is out of bounds. gently caress off. Tired of being told that I didn't actually have the experience that I actually did have. What a joke.

Edit: I said it before but I'll reiterate: if we flop the scenario I'm going to replay it (and probably the next couple of missions) with the less RNG variant, I got hosed by an edge case and I've recognized that from the beginning.

It's because you're exaggerating or took your sweet fuckin time, then made a big post about how bad and unplayable the game is because you couldn't imagine the possibility of someone organizing the game without buying an organizer and let a fluke event color everything bad and throw you into a rage. That's the joke!

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Vehementi posted:

It's because you're exaggerating or took your sweet fuckin time, then made a big post about how bad and unplayable the game is because you couldn't imagine the possibility of someone organizing the game without buying an organizer and let a fluke event color everything bad and throw you into a rage. That's the joke!
Stop being a dick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, can we not go down the mega-nerd road of "that person who does not enjoy the thing I enjoyed is obviously bad and also lying"?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Gloomhaven is hueg.

It just arrived and I still have two work 4 hours. And then lug this box home with me on the subway.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

My players cancelled on me this weekend. At this rate we won't play again until the new year. :cryingverminling:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ok Cardhaus, it's November 30. Work your magic.

Ahhhhhh it's December 31st now? What the hell.

VVVVV :same:

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 30, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm complaining here about not getting my shipping notice yet in hopes that my complaint will make it appear in my inbox. Complain complain complain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Isn’t retail actually Jan / Feb?

I didn’t play gloomhaven last night. Instead I spent an hour organizing it into planos. Also got a sweet file folder for tiles and binder for the item store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jordan7hm posted:

Isn’t retail actually Jan / Feb?

I didn’t play gloomhaven last night. Instead I spent an hour organizing it into planos. Also got a sweet file folder for tiles and binder for the item store.

Ah, is that what's been said? They just keep bumping it back on my notifications. Gives me time to wrap up my tabletop campaign at least.