Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
shoplifter at 2:13 remains the best

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FMguru posted:

shoplifter at 2:13 remains the best

so good

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
hey has anyone figured out the point of yammer yet

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

an internal enterprise social media platform

because - ostensibly - anybody human has ever wanted that

its probably just an internal microsoft thing that they tried to get subscriptions for and then when that didnt work they rolled it into office 365 to justify its expense

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

FrozenVent posted:

hey has anyone figured out the point of yammer yet

The point of Yammer was to trick a large tech company into buying Yammer. That worked perfectly and now Yammer has no point.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

close, its so they can make yammer themed beer pong tables

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

*awkwardly holds laptop lid up with one hand while scrawling something unreadable on the screen with the other*

you can't do that with a mac

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress off, microsoft. why is it so difficult not to set 58 default folders for controlled access, that can't be removed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gently caress off, microsoft. why is it so difficult not to set 58 default folders for controlled access, that can't be removed
lol

looks like someone is having an authentically digital day

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
:pcgaming: tech journalism :pcgaming:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in fairness the link does go to an i3

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

now we know where all that white-space at the top of every window is going: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
oh hey it’s the beos window tabs 🤩

e: or maybe it was just haiku🤔

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

looking forward to explorer getting tabs but still only supporting 256 long paths

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

now we know where all that white-space at the top of every window is going: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature

It will be interesting. Edge does it that way now and it works I guess

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

Oh man, it works really well when using word, PowerPoint, OneNote and edge, 4 programs I don't use.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i just know there's not going to be a way to separate a tab cleanly from a window, and that a few releases down the line they'll let you disable tabbing completely so that instead of going between a word tab and a onenote tab you can keep each open on separate displays. i also wonder what the keyboard shortcut is going to be for switching between tabs, like there's no way ctrl+tab and ctrl+pgup/pgdown doesn't already exist in word or excel

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm not seeing why that would be more likely than them using the edge implementation, which works fine

excel uses ctrl+tab to switch between workbooks, which is, i assume, what the tabs will correspond to anyway. i think it does something different in word though, so may indeed be a change (i will toxx myself any day on them stealing ctrl+tab to consistently be to switch tabs in such apps though)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I actually just watched the video and yeah that's basically edge tabs but I didn't realized it was cross application which is super cool.

multimonitor support would probably be my biggest concern cause having reference material (yospos) on one screen and work on the other is how I spend most of my work day. The ability to tie a set across monitors would rule so I could tie a reference set of docs in edge with a specific solution in VS so that when I tab back to VS or back to the reference material it brings the full set to the top.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

I actually just watched the video and yeah that's basically edge tabs but I didn't realized it was cross application which is super cool.

multimonitor support would probably be my biggest concern cause having reference material (yospos) on one screen and work on the other is how I spend most of my work day. The ability to tie a set across monitors would rule so I could tie a reference set of docs in edge with a specific solution in VS so that when I tab back to VS or back to the reference material it brings the full set to the top.

are you making microsoft yospos 365 or something

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

tabs on top :barf:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you making microsoft yospos 365 or something

no it was a joke that my second monitor is used mostly for yosposting and not actually for work.

taco_fox posted:

where else would they be?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

taco_fox posted:

how is life in atlantis

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

tabs should be right next to the content, not in the title bar

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

taco_fox posted:

no. controls should be next to the content. tabs should stay at the edge.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tabs should be in the center of the document, content should radiate outwards from them

controls should be around the edge

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
zune v 2334444 dies

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

taco_fox posted:

top tabs seems more natural when you pull a tab out into a new window and vice versa

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

drm was a mistake

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

drm was a mistake

there's no drm tho. you can download the mp3s and play them on whatever you want. they're just shutting down the servers.

(not that i disagree with the sentiment)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wait what?

i seriously didn't know that, i'd have sworn on blood that a microsoft music product would be wrapped in some drm layer that'd break the second the zune store hiccuped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nah, it's like apple music/itunes in that you can just subscribe and that's drmed and once they shut it down there goes your music, but you can also buy music which is drm-free.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i don't think there have been any DRM'd online music stores (download not streaming) in years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drm would have carried the day if ubiquitous internet access had arrived earlier, what won the day was convenience, and streaming, being hugely convenient, is clawing the ground back for drm

and, idk, rich white kid issue to worry about, it now feels like

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

puretracks was the one i used most recently and they apparently shut down in 2013

spotify offered me a $3/3mo deal and so far it sounds like they might have the edge on deezer, because their "we'll just build a playlist on the fly" playlist is more than a mishmash of the songs i'd indicated some interest in in the past

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 30, 2017

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

taco_fox posted:

tree style ftw ftw

Perplx posted:

top tabs seems more natural when you pull a tab out into a new window and vice versa

sure but what about moving a group of tabs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

drm would have carried the day if ubiquitous internet access had arrived earlier, what won the day was convenience, and streaming, being hugely convenient, is clawing the ground back for drm

and, idk, rich white kid issue to worry about, it now feels like

depends on what you mean by ubiquitous internet access. if you mean ubiquitous wifi access points and wifi hardware in mp3 players, then yea i can see that.

drm really sucked poo poo for moving around music to different devices + players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

just strip the streamed drm and you’ve a convenient way to keep stuff

flakeloaf posted:

puretracks was the one i used most recently and they apparently shut down in 2013

spotify offered me a $3/3mo deal and so far it sounds like they might have the edge on deezer, because their "we'll just build a playlist on the fly" playlist is more than a mishmash of the songs i'd indicated some interest in in the past

Spotify is less bad then I remember. have more artists then I would have expected but with limited catalogues