Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nothing about that announcement says anything about the test server - they just say "the servers will be down", and apparently, they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've encountered hackers on FPP and TPP. FPP was super blatant. Out pacing us on foot while we were in a car and headshotting all of us with a KAR in back to back shots kinda poo poo.

People do cry wolf though. Constantly have to set a guy I play with straight because according to him its hackers every game.

I always thought they preferred TPP because of more vision. If you have an auto aim hack you can just move and spin the camera around with alt. Harder to get snuck up on and shot in the back in TPP than FPP.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For every blatant hacker, there are probably twenty who are using ESP hacks alone to try and deflect suspicion.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For every blatant hacker, there are probably twenty who are using ESP hacks alone to try and deflect suspicion.

Yeah, the hackers you see are the stupidest ones using the most blatant hacks because they don't give a poo poo. They are the canary which usually means there are many more using hacks more sneakily like just for seeing where everyone is or to assist their aim a little to make them more accurate but not perfectly so.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Soarer posted:

I always thought they preferred TPP because of more vision. If you have an auto aim hack you can just move and spin the camera around with alt. Harder to get snuck up on and shot in the back in TPP than FPP.

this is how I've seen it too. Due to the fact a Hacker can't be snuck up on, you can't beat them in TPP by outflanking them; in Squads especially in FPP, you can beat a hacker by baiting them on one guy while you flank. in FPP they see everyone running around near them and can quickly take them out.

I have seen some funny things like hackers shooting at people inside of shelter from outside of it because the hacks don't realize there's a wall, though. Those shots appear totally random and just bounce of the ground and it's pretty funny.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Choco’s crazy accurate enough that burst damage is way more reliable than it would be for you or me, so the shotty’s strengths are a bigger thing.

you don't have to be some fps god to wreck people with the double barrel. I used it consistently for a week and by the end of it I was reliably downing duos without reloading. Also wrecking a duo lategame with a double barrel who are pushing you is one of the best feelings in the game

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Space Skeleton posted:

Yeah, the hackers you see are the stupidest ones using the most blatant hacks because they don't give a poo poo. They are the canary which usually means there are many more using hacks more sneakily like just for seeing where everyone is or to assist their aim a little to make them more accurate but not perfectly so.
Hacks that improve your performance but not beyond "skilled human" levels don't bother me at all tbh. I guess in a tossup I'd rather play against a player who genuinely has that skill but it's kind of a wash from my perspective.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If i had hacks I'd probably use them just to run beside people driving in cars to freak them out, or sneak up behind someone and stand there until they turn around

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Hooplah posted:

I mainly play fpp squads and we never ever encounter hackers. Like, I've never seen one in a few hundred hours of play. Are you guys that are complaining about them mainly playing TPP?

Last month we encountered a lot in FPP squads but not since. We even ran into a guy who was 100% invisible who had downed two of us with punching headshots (we were split up from the rest of our squad) and he was chatting over voice chat saying he was testing his new invisible hack. Then he proceeded to finish us off with punches. We never saw him at all, just heard him.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Space Skeleton posted:

There's no way of knowing how prevalent this is. Everything you do in this game makes tons of sound and none of the cover besides buildings and the corners of walls near buildings ever cover you from more than one side and grass doesn't render past a certain range. I'm, in general, blissfully unaware if this is even a thing maybe I'm just out-shooting these guys because they're shooting skill is still crap. On the other hand getting triple head tapped by an AK or SKS in a quarter of a second by a guy with a Chinese name or all numbers is readily apparent and I will complain about that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The only blatant hacker I have run across in weeks headshot two of us on the run several hundred meters away with the SKS. Then, while we were behind a concrete barrier being revived he kept shooting, landing every shot on the concrete barrier exactly where our heads were on the other side.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I have 160 hours in and don't think I have seen a hacker or complained about a hacker. :shrug:

FPP only.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Hacks that improve your performance but not beyond "skilled human" levels don't bother me at all tbh. I guess in a tossup I'd rather play against a player who genuinely has that skill but it's kind of a wash from my perspective.

well this is really stupid

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Space Skeleton posted:

Yeah, the hackers you see are the stupidest ones using the most blatant hacks because they don't give a poo poo.

There's definitely been an uptick of smarter ones lately, maybe due to the reporting of stronger anti-cheat measures. They'll usually wait until the top 15 or so with a smallish circle then it'll be qinbao3484775 headshots XX over and over again. I've seen more than a few dropping solo in squad games.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

There's no way of knowing how prevalent this is. Everything you do in this game makes tons of sound and none of the cover besides buildings and the corners of walls near buildings ever cover you from more than one side and grass doesn't render past a certain range. I'm, in general, blissfully unaware if this is even a thing maybe I'm just out-shooting these guys because they're shooting skill is still crap. On the other hand getting triple head tapped by an AK or SKS in a quarter of a second by a guy with a Chinese name or all numbers is readily apparent and I will complain about that.

Prevalent enough that we have a goon around who extols the virtues of using a recoil cancelling hack. :v:

It bothers me. People shouldn't be able to have top 1% best player aim ability with no practice and xray vision.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have 160 hours in and don't think I have seen a hacker or complained about a hacker. :shrug:

FPP only.

Playing only FPP does seem to be the best way to avoid hackers. For whatever reason they seem to stick to third person.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Space Skeleton posted:

Prevalent enough that we have a goon around who extols the virtues of using a recoil cancelling hack. :v:

It bothers me. People shouldn't be able to have top 1% best player aim ability with no practice and xray vision.

Playing only FPP does seem to be the best way to avoid hackers. For whatever reason they seem to stick to third person.

I heard rumors of a goon using recoil scripts, but if it is who I think it is, he only has a 1.6 KDR which is laughably bad if you think about it.

As far as aimbot goes, you're downplaying the value of it in this game. Since aimbot doesn't give a poo poo about bullet travel time its more than just an aimbot in a game like CS:GO. If a top level player is shooting me, he is still going to have a hard time killing me if I keep moving around. Even if I just move back and forward on the side that's exposed to him, I've halved his ability to hit me. The aimbot more or less just tells the server that it has hit me 3 times in the head and the server just confirms line of sight or something then I die. So in a way, what Jeffrey is saying makes some sense. The reality of it is, who really cares if anyone is using ESP to find you or has their textures removed, when aimbotting is so prevalent?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Space Skeleton posted:

Well I said they have to only use hacks that give them top-human-like abilities, so no x-ray vision. If you can't beat this guy, you can't beat a top 1% player either, and maybe that's acceptable to you but I'm here to be the best and thus dying to someone within human ability range is an unacceptable fuckup to me!!! If anything, I relish the opportunity to practice fighting people with good aim, whether it's computer assisted or not.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well I said they have to only use hacks that give them top-human-like abilities, so no x-ray vision. If you can't beat this guy, you can't beat a top 1% player either, and maybe that's acceptable to you but I'm here to be the best and thus dying to someone within human ability range is an unacceptable fuckup to me!!! If anything, I relish the opportunity to practice fighting people with good aim, whether it's computer assisted or not.

This is the gooniest bullshit I've ever read.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

like SURE ok there are the worst cheaters and there are not as bad as the worst cheaters, but they're all still cheaters and should be banned this is extremely dumb

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tweak posted:

but they're all still cheaters and should be banned this is extremely dumb

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Haven’t played or followed PUBG in a month. Decided to check in on the thread and see if cheating is still a problem. Entire page is chatting about cheaters. Guess that delay on vaulting “to address cheaters” turned out real well. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
cheating is better but it's not gone yet

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Yea, honestly it's not that bad, TPP or FPP.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

willroc7 posted:

Yea, honestly it's not that bad, TPP or FPP.

Really? May have to give it a whirl again then. It was awful a month or so ago.

Is NA still the default server for the world, thus drawing all of the bigshot hack developers to it to advertise their "services"?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been playing a couple games a day consistently for the last 3 months or so, and I've only seen one guy that was definitely cheating.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Does such a thing really exist? I mean as far as hacks, obviously games that have aim assist for gamepads have something sort of in that realm but I've never seen a cheat that tried to balance things like that. Same with X-Ray/ESP, I don't even know how you could provide someone with more information than a non-cheating player would have but have it still not be superhuman level. I guess maybe make the xray visibility depend on how audible the player would be? Basically the sort of thing which would give a deaf player ability to locate someone sneaking around near them...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vaulting sucks anyway, super slow unless it’s knee height.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Vaulting sucks anyway, super slow unless it’s knee height.

You also can’t get oto certain areas anymore thanks to the removal of crouch jumping. No more rooftop fighting outside of Pochinki.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

There was a period of a week or two where hackers were loving EVERYWHERE but I haven't noticed too many really blatant ones lately.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

Does such a thing really exist? I mean as far as hacks, obviously games that have aim assist for gamepads have something sort of in that realm but I've never seen a cheat that tried to balance things like that.

Oh yeah. I can't say for certain with pubg, but the less blatant cheating in for instance counterstrike includes triggerbots that either automatically shoot whenever your crosshair is over your enemy (or their head), or does microcorrections for your aim every time you fire near enough to an enemy player. Since there's no (or little) artificial aim involved it's very hard to detect live and during replays, but it obviously gives you a huge edge if you're playing low level opponents who aren't going to instantly headshot as a matter of course.

There's more subtle stuff too, where instead of having a wallhack, you can just toggle on your cheat and have the crosshair make a small gesture towards the nearest opponent to where you're aiming (but not actually aiming onto them) or similar effects to at least let you know that an enemy is close, even if you can't tell where they are with 100% certainty.

These cheats are highly customizable too. If you adjust the triggerbot delay before firing, or ideally make it random (but still very, very fast), it's basically impossible to tell for sure whether you're cheating or just consistently Good.

I haven't looked too deeply into hacking pubg specifically, but considering all the most egregious forms of cheating is available I have no doubt that more subtle options are as well.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 30, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What about the thing where you alt tabbed all the way around and back to counterstrike so you got a mouse-cursor as a reticle for scout noscopes? This was important in scoutzknivez.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

What about the thing where you alt tabbed all the way around and back to counterstrike so you got a mouse-cursor as a reticle for scout noscopes? This was important in scoutzknivez.

a piece of tape center screen is a low tech solution to this problem that transcends games and generations!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is actually the main reason I stepped away from PUBG and from games that show signs of security growing pains. The blatant hackers are the bellwether for the rest of the crowd that knows how to keep a lower profile. It throws my entire confidence in the game experience as a whole out the window.

It's different for a game like Overwatch where Blizzard immediately had a great anti-cheat system in place and took actions against cheaters that were far above and beyond the industry norm with their permanent hardware ID banning system. Out of the hundred hours I've put into Overwatch, I've never once encountered anyone doing anything blatant. That coupled with knowing that quality anti-cheat measures and banning procedures are in-place keep me confident that playing is worthwhile.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Bohemian Nights posted:

a piece of tape center screen is a low tech solution to this problem that transcends games and generations!

I'm pretty sure my monitor has a built in crosshair overlay feature

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Siets posted:

Haven’t played or followed PUBG in a month. Decided to check in on the thread and see if cheating is still a problem. Entire page is chatting about cheaters. Guess that delay on vaulting “to address cheaters” turned out real well. :(

Cheating is honestly a lot better but it's still bad in reference to other AAA multiplayer games. It's definitely the worst in solo right now, then better in duos, and squads very rarely has anyone hacking in it.

edit: for reference "very rarely" is "definite obvious cheater once every 6-10 games"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

abigserve posted:

edit: for reference "very rarely" is "definite obvious cheater once every 6-10 games"

This is either exaggerated or I have been ridiculously lucky in not seeing cheaters over 150+ hours of play. I think the nature of the game in regards to latency (frequently people are not where they appear on your screen, and blood splatters doesn't actually mean a hit) as well as the general frequency of bullshit that is just the nature of the game means people will always think there's a cheating when there isn't.

I mean, for every BS headshot I am victim to, I deal out some ridiculous shot that was pure luck. I hardly ever see the run-hacks & invisibility & Wall-shooters I used to.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lockback posted:

This is either exaggerated or I have been ridiculously lucky in not seeing cheaters over 150+ hours of play. I think the nature of the game in regards to latency (frequently people are not where they appear on your screen, and blood splatters doesn't actually mean a hit) as well as the general frequency of bullshit that is just the nature of the game means people will always think there's a cheating when there isn't.

I mean, for every BS headshot I am victim to, I deal out some ridiculous shot that was pure luck. I hardly ever see the run-hacks & invisibility & Wall-shooters I used to.

yeah, it's not that bad

stop getting mad at videogames and suddenly there will be fewer hackers

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I almost never see hackers when I'm playing NA FPP, regardless of team mode. Over ~3 months of playing the game I've had two I was actually confident of.

Recently I've been playing with a group that for some reason likes to play on AS TPP even though as far as I'm aware we're all in Ohio. I've had one definite and two probables in those games.

The one time I played in custom games led by some streamer there were no games that lasted more than 10 minutes before everyone started getting headshot by a player with a "cat on keyboard" name.

Based on this limited anecdotal experience I agree with the theory that at least the blatant cheaters are attention whores and the further you get from default leaderboards and/or streamers the less you'll see them.

Or it could just be that I'm not good at the game and cheaters tend to move out of my matchmaking bracket quickly.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

If I ever died in this game it was probably because someone was hacking but I don't lose so no probs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's going to be nice when killcams are on live and you can actually confirm or deny the skill of the person who got you

• Locked thread