Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Raged posted:

Should I hold on to the chests that you get after battles until I get a few levels of reputation?

Yes. Hang onto them until at least prestige 1, ideally 3 or higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Raged posted:

Should I hold on to the chests that you get after battles until I get a few levels of reputation?

Yeah. IIRC you unlock one new "tier" of equipment at reputations 1, 3, and 5 each. Perhaps further after that, too, but I've never actually gotten that far with any one character :v:. So it's generally a good idea to save your chests until one of those breakpoints.

Though really, don't sweat it too much. After reaching reputation 1 you get one free item per level with that character, and pretty soon you'll have more stuff than you know what to do with. And besides, the stats are kind of secondary, the one and only purpose of all those items is to play medieval murder Barbie. :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If there's one thing I could say Ubisoft definitely dropped the ball on with For Honor it was attempting to give all the fighters a realistic presentation without very much character expression outside of a few emotes. People don't play this game to wear period accurate armor, they do it for gaudy flame decals and spamming hip thrust at the end of every match.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Perestroika posted:

the one and only purpose of all those items is to play medieval murder Barbie. :colbert:

Also, there's another tier of items at 7. They start getting Real Fancy in those lofty heights.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

exquisite tea posted:

If there's one thing I could say Ubisoft definitely dropped the ball on with For Honor it was attempting to give all the fighters a realistic presentation without very much character expression outside of a few emotes. People don't play this game to wear period accurate armor, they do it for gaudy flame decals and spamming hip thrust at the end of every match.

I've always appreciated the creativity that people have for rudeness in this game. There's a way to make the warden do a kind of jerk-off motion with their sword hilt that I've never been able to replicate.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Both Shaman and Aramusha has some amazing emote spam, Ubisoft knows what the people wants.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

Both Shaman and Aramusha has some amazing emote spam, Ubisoft knows what the people wants.

Yeah, you can really see where they embraced the silliness as time went on. Some of the new emotes are absolutely :discourse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9b1HbNhKrE

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Perestroika posted:

Yeah. IIRC you unlock one new "tier" of equipment at reputations 1, 3, and 5 each. Perhaps further after that, too, but I've never actually gotten that far with any one character :v:. So it's generally a good idea to save your chests until one of those breakpoints.

It's actually even higher now, you shouldn't open your boxes until you have a character at prestige 8 if you want the best chance of getting the highest level gear. The green quality stuff (legendary?) starts dropping at prestige 7 about half the time, then 100% of the time once you're prestige 8.

Also some people were talking about guard switch times between different characters on the last page, but those differences were all removed in a past update if I'm remembering right. Every character should be switching guards at the same speed now and it's more or less instant.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They still haven't changed the 60 item limit... I don't understand why.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

They still haven't changed the 60 item limit... I don't understand why.

If there's one thing that gamers love to do it's go into their inventory every hour or so and break down items into omni-gel

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As a new player here are things that I don't like about the game.

1. Matchmaking: No way should reputation 0 be facing reputation 40+. I would gladly wait longer to face people closer to my level. In dominion I should not see my random pubbie team be all rep 0-1 facing a team that their lowest is 20+. It's not fun and you don't learn anything. 1-1 and brawls are the same way

2. That stupid D-Pad ability that drops a rock/motar on you and one-shots you. There should not be anything in the game that can one-shot you from full or near full health

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
or now a rep 1 and 0 with 2 bots vs a 78 168 20 and 18

come on

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are you on PC? I’m on ps4 and I don’t see team differences like that anymore.

Occasionally I’ll see a big rep difference in duel or brawl, but the text comparing your ‘skill level’ (opposed to rep) is usually accurate. I’ve played some 20+ rep people who were total poo poo, I assume they just play a ton of games.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
People with really high rep (100+) tends to be people who farm dominion a lot and are really bad at 1v1. But yeah, the matchmaking can get a bit dumb at times.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

exquisite tea posted:

I like goofy emotes, but eh, I also like the armor being more 'realistic' styled.

Also the only good effect is the Highlander viking lightning and I wish I could use it on every character, cause man if there's one thing they failed at imo, it was making good effects after like, even just the initial run of faction-only ones. Plasma and the cancerous growth gems and all that stuff are hideous in a bad way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, rep is only very roughly representative of actual ability. I've fought dudes with 40+ rep Orochis and 120+ rep total, and they still hadn't progressed beyond "spam top light". Meanwhile some rep~ 10 dudes occasionally manage to completely ruin my day.

But yeah, some of the feats are really awkwardly balanced. Knights get the catapult that is an instant kill in a massive radius and comes out fast enough that it can be very tricky to dodge (particularly with fatter chars), Samurai get an arrow volley that you can avoid at a leisurely walk. Vikings get a bunch of traps with very short cooldowns that cannot be triggered outside of walking right into them, which can create unavoidable killzones. And my personal "favourite", the anti-bleed passive that exists only to shut down a handful of characters in particular but does exactly nothing against everybody else. Ask me about playing Nobushi and seeing ~20% of my usual damage output just vanish into nothingness. :negative:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

And my personal "favourite", the anti-bleed passive that exists only to shut down a handful of characters in particular but does exactly nothing against everybody else. Ask me about playing Nobushi and seeing ~20% of my usual damage output just vanish into nothingness. :negative:

counterpoint: every character with bleed is the loving worst and I'm glad that there's a perk that fucks them over specifically

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Man Warlord really sucks now. He was my favorite along with Kensei.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fuzz posted:

Man Warlord really sucks now.

Kind of well deserved if true, he was the best character in game for like 80% of it's life thus far. Kensei's always been an unfortunate situation though. :smith:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I though Warlord had recovered from his initial over nerf when they buffed him back up a bit?

He definitely suffers from the ‘initial character balance’ effect though. His special stuff like hyper armor and superior block are very widespread now. However, he is still the best character at ledge killing people, as his throw range is far and easily aimed in any direction. A lot of players don’t take advantage of that because chucking people off ledges is looked down on by some, but I think it’s needed for Warlord to not be poo poo tier.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

However, he is still the best character at ledge killing people, his throw range is far and easily aimed in any direction.
I take offense to that. If you can side parry at all the Bringer dominates fights that are in the same area code as a ledge.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is lawbringers throw distance really that far? When Warlord gets you on his shield and takes you for a ride it feels like you go forever. I think only Raiders over the should carry goes farther, and that is limited in only going straight forward.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Beans posted:

Is lawbringers throw distance really that far? When Warlord gets you on his shield and takes you for a ride it feels like you go forever. I think only Raiders over the should carry goes farther, and that is limited in only going straight forward.

The LB guard break range is better than most, the actual throw seems about the same as the other characters. Certainly better than Highlander, where I'll go to guard break and miss people standing directly in front of me.

Don't play Highlander, people.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

Side parry combos to unbreakable charge carry I forgot the name of. Combine that with your dodge shove and if you can see a ledge they're getting hucked off it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The lawbringer spearing-and-pushing that you can do after a parry is blockable.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

The lawbringer spearing-and-pushing that you can do after a parry is blockable.

Fair! I haven't seen any recover in time to do it but I'm really not that good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I generally have had bad luck with both of the after-parry attacks getting blocked or parried so I just always do a guard break after parrying.

except sometimes I do the easily-parryable unblockable because the ADMORTEM INIMICUS rules

Once in a blue moon doing that actually works out if the enemy gets tunnel vision in parrying and countering it then burns all their stamina with the followup

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

I generally have had bad luck with both of the after-parry attacks getting blocked or parried so I just always do a guard break after parrying.

except sometimes I do the easily-parryable unblockable because the ADMORTEM INIMICUS rules

ADMORTEM INIMICUS is actually guaranteed if you do it after parrying a top light attack. They'll only be able to recover in time and parry it if you try it after parrying their heavy, or if you have to switch guard directions from a side light parry into your follow up. Parry > guard break > side heavy is usually the best option, but be careful against characters like Nobushi who will be too far away after you parry them for your guard break to connect. You'll just grab at the air and almost certainly get punished for it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does anybody play tribute on PS4? Have been trying to get a match for the last few days and it just sits at matchmaking. Dominion is always a min or less

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Raged posted:

Does anybody play tribute on PS4? Have been trying to get a match for the last few days and it just sits at matchmaking. Dominion is always a min or less

All the time, in NA. It's consistently huh high alongside domination. Elimination/Skirmish will take a few minutes though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
There is a really good game in here, but the number of bonehead design decisions just kind of ruins it for me. Coming across a matchmaker special where you are out levelled by a large margin and then your entire team being wiped out repeatedly by one shot abilities over and over again isn't fun. 4 players gaining a lead should not be able to get the lead then just camp a spot and just bear trap/nuke over and over and over again.

I got my 20 bux worth out of the game, but man am I disappointed.

Great tactical/fighting combat system here, but whoever added one shot weapons/abilities should be kicked in the junk.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The only actually good gamemode is 1v1 because it really feels like the game was designed with 1v1s in mind and then everything else was just crammed in later. Then you have okay gamemodes like 2v2 and Elimination both of which are just multiple 1v1s where you have a chance to get hosed over if you take too long and your teammates die, then you have Dominion, Skirmish and Tribute which are all clusterfucks where you win by dropping giant instagib artillery on people or waiting for them to start fighting your teammates and then pushing them off a cliff.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dedicated Server Open Beta starts tomorrow on all platforms! You get a ton of rewards for participating too:

gotta say, kinda impressed

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I did the open beta stuff on PS4 then bought it for PC for higher framerate and better load times, doesn't look like the stuff carries over (though in hindsight why would it?).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Skanker posted:

I did the open beta stuff on PS4 then bought it for PC for higher framerate and better load times, doesn't look like the stuff carries over (though in hindsight why would it?).

Yeah, your stats and items and all of that are console dependent. Which makes... some sense, really. After all, your stats, items, all that poo poo aren't tied to your Ubisoft account, they're tied to the console.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I decided to pick this game up in the Steam sale since I heard it has actually been fixed a little. It still appears to be a turtlefest if you aren't playing one of the snazzy new characters with actual offensive tools like Gladiator, Shaman and Shinobi, but I guess it's still better than release. Although the devs could still go into the config files and make 2-3 small changes and fix the game overnight. But I suppose slowly adding characters that have very fast unblockable and guaranteed damage moves works too. Shame about 80% of the game's cast being useless, though

Going back to read my own posts in the past year, it turns out I was 100% right about everything and predicted the future predicament of the game on release day, even though almost everyone else disagreed. Where are you at now, haters :cool:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You seem like a real treat to hang out with.

One question: what do you use to clean the jizz stains off your mirror? Is it just Windex or... ?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I decided to pick this game up in the Steam sale since I heard it has actually been fixed a little. It still appears to be a turtlefest if you aren't playing one of the snazzy new characters with actual offensive tools like Gladiator, Shaman and Shinobi, but I guess it's still better than release. Although the devs could still go into the config files and make 2-3 small changes and fix the game overnight. But I suppose slowly adding characters that have very fast unblockable and guaranteed damage moves works too. Shame about 80% of the game's cast being useless, though

Going back to read my own posts in the past year, it turns out I was 100% right about everything and predicted the future predicament of the game on release day, even though almost everyone else disagreed. Where are you at now, haters :cool:

...still playing the game?

You might not like it anymore, which is fine. Whatever. But it has a pretty devoted fanbase right now, and there's not much in the way of negativity.

Well, up until you showed up, lordy.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Did they implement dedicated server yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

...still playing the game?

You might not like it anymore, which is fine. Whatever. But it has a pretty devoted fanbase right now, and there's not much in the way of negativity.

Well, up until you showed up, lordy.

lol nah this game is hilariously imbalanced right now and OP's right, even small numbers tweaks would help immensely

instead we get """new content""" that is almost entirely cosmetic and a hilariously bad and rushed "ranked mode" that no one plays because of the aforementioned balance issues. game is fun as gently caress but UBI should be ashamed at how bad and slow they are at balancing. it's ruining the game.

the fact that shaman and valkyrie are in the same game and by all accounts UBI thinks This Is Fine is amazing