Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You could also probably just cut the bottom out and replace the whole piece with new project pine or something.

Make it sound like such a pain in the rear end they don't make you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combining the best suggestions I'd say, sand high spots down flush, fill any lows with putty, and cover with either a woodgrain laminate sheet, or real veneer for something nicer. Wood veneer would need finishing with oil or varnish.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Huxley posted:

Make it sound like such a pain in the rear end they don't make you do it.

DingDingDing.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm surprised it rotted so bad. When I forget about a bag of potatoes they just shrivel up and start growing alien tentacles.

Call in a contractor and have them quote it, then show the owner the massive quote and they'll accept a cheap and easy solution without much fuss.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I pulled the trigger on my first new plane: the Veritas Router Plane with optional fence.

Mmmm Here's to the nicest tool I've ever owned.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Sweet, just scored a Stanley 45 with a full #1 and #2 box of cutters for $110. Problem solved.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've not bought any tools, but I did make one:

This is kind of the first real woodworking thing I've made, plywood and screws doesn't count. Not sure what to make next, probably a box but I think I need a couple of proper chisels, the mortice was a right pain in the arse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You cut a through mortise for that mallet without using any chisels? :stare:

My mallet was done the lazy way -- three layers of 4/4 boards sandwiched together, with the middle layer being two separate boards with a gap in the middle where the handle goes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No no, I have chisels but they're not great, most woodworking I've seen use chisels with beveled edges, mine are halfway between that and straight sided mortice chisels, neither one nor t'other

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a bunch of power tools, but the only woodworking hand tools I have are a small saw and some files. If I am going to have one inexpensive (less than $50) hand plane around, what should I look for?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I need to drill a self-trapping screw in an enclosed space and there's not enough room to angle the drill up, is there any attachment that'll screw perpendicular with gears or something?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I need to drill a self-trapping screw in an enclosed space and there's not enough room to angle the drill up, is there any attachment that'll screw perpendicular with gears or something?

Yep. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Right-Angle-Drill-Adapter-DWARA50/203867866

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You can put a driver bit in a 1/4 inch socket on a ratchet if it's just a one off job.

coathat
May 21, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I have a bunch of power tools, but the only woodworking hand tools I have are a small saw and some files. If I am going to have one inexpensive (less than $50) hand plane around, what should I look for?

A stanley number 5 and a little block plane are the classic answer.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

What do you want to do with it? If you just want a plane to learn and play around with, yeah Stanley No 5 is the way to go. You can find pre-WW2 models in good shape on eBay for under $50 easy if you're patient. If you want a plane to clean up your machine work, you may want a smoothing plane (No 3 or 4), or there's loads of types of joinery planes for cleaning up your joints.

Toolmaking winter continues. Last weekend I made a new wedge for my rabbet plane out of an apple branch from my friend's back yard. This was my first time working from a log. It was pretty fun, but the workholding was real hard to arrange, lots of shims and clamps jamming it against my bench hook. It was at 10% MC after sitting for a few months.

And I made a marking gauge over the past two evenings. It's pretty ugly, especially the wedge, but it functions. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. There's another style where the wedge goes perpendicular to the beam. I'd like to try that style, since it looks easier to use one-handed, but I didn't want to mortise all the way through the long direction of the fence.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've not bought any tools, but I did make one:

This is pretty high up on my todo list.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 30, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anybody have Opinions on crib hardware?

Googling tends to give me complete kits, with all the rail hardware and etc, which I don't need. The rest is turded up by replacement parts for factory cribs, and a bunch of articles about how some specific kind of crib is a baby guillotine in waiting, or something. The main/only source for parts is this place whose site is dogshit with tiny photos and few prices.

I need whatever brackets sit between the two legs of the thing, and the gate that raises and lowers. Old forum threads indicate Rockler used to sell plans and hardware but this no longer appears to be the case. It's really surprising how difficult this is becoming.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
You're trying to build a drop side crib? You're probably having trouble finding products because they were banned in 2011 for killing babies.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah, it's come up a few times but cribs are regulated more than I expected.

https://onsafety.cpsc.gov/blog/2011/06/14/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/ has the details I think.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Slat width/spacing is a big change in the past 10 years of cribs as well. You can only buy wide, flat slats (as opposed to straight dowel or turned) and they're never more than about three finger-widths apart.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Building a crib was one of those things I dreamed about doing whenever I finally had a baby on the way, but I have convinced myself that there is no way I'm doing that. Cribs are super regulated, and if anything ever happened to my baby in the crib I made, I would never stop blaming myself for it.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
For me it wasn't so much the regulations, that swayed me away, because I can certainly build something sturdy and to spec. It was the fact that a crib is a pretty short live piece of furniture, only in use for a few years, maybe a dozen with multiple children then put away in storage. I focused my efforts on building a chest of drawers that doubles as a change table, I put a nice message inside and hope she'll be able to use it for many years.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

For me it wasn't so much the regulations, that swayed me away, because I can certainly build something sturdy and to spec. It was the fact that a crib is a pretty short live piece of furniture, only in use for a few years, maybe a dozen with multiple children then put away in storage. I focused my efforts on building a chest of drawers that doubles as a change table, I put a nice message inside and hope she'll be able to use it for many years.

This. We have a baby on the way in January. Most of my recent efforts have been around remodeling her nursery, but I'm about to start on a book case for her room. I decided it made a lot more sense to build stuff I know she'll use for many years than just a few.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Dunno if I think cribs have to be shortlived, my kids used the same one I did, and my older sister used it before me. No fancy baby killing features on it though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You know that cardboard box your portable table saw came in? Well, learn one weird tip a stay at home woodworker figured out about cribs. Government regulators hate him!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

You know that cardboard box your portable table saw came in? Well, learn one weird tip a stay at home woodworker figured out about cribs. Government regulators hate him!

You joke, but...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Well hell.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I don't personally see anything wrong with building a crib if you posess the ability to do some research, but in the end I can't imagine building furniture for an infant anyways. You're probably barely sane at that point from trying to keep a tiny person alive and don't need to be worrying about woodworking.

Make them stuff when they're 2-3+ and might care about it and remember it. It's way more rewarding and much less worrying. I love seeing my neice using the kitchen helper(s) and toybox I made.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 30, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Yeah suck it marvel, we had mother boxes way before you did.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I remember someone making a crib that when the kid grew out of it the long sides became the ends of a proper bed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I remember someone making a crib that when the kid grew out of it the long sides became the ends of a proper bed.

I bought one that does just that. Except it's just a head board. It had adjustable height for the crib mattress too. It also came with a toddler bed front for three different sizes of bed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So how do cribs work these days, then? The sides don't move at all? That's not really a viable option for this project.

I make custom bondage and fetish furniture, this "crib" will contain a full size mattress and the occupant hasn't been an infant for quite some time

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hahahaha, I have nothing to add but that inquiry took an amazing turn.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Four totally static sides with wide slats and narrow gaps held together with long hex bolts and barrel nuts.

Structurally, if it were me building a baby fetish crib, I would be designing the entry more along the lines of "topless dog crate" than baby crib. At that size having a swing down side could still be dangerous (because the swinging part will weigh 100 pounds and absolutely crush some fingers). Plus hardware will be cheaper.

Unless the form of the thing is hyper important to the client (ie, it HAS to look like their childhood crib or whatever), in which I would get some liability waiver in writing. I would still situate the swing-down on the foot edge of the bed for weight concerns, though you can probably get away with dowel for rails. I hope you're building it on site haha.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

That was me, my brother and I made it for our sister and her first kid six or seven years ago. The high back of the crib is the headboard and the low front is the foot board. It was also a toddler bed that had a half side rail that replaced the front of the crib.

Still have the plans if anyone wants them.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Javid posted:

So how do cribs work these days, then? The sides don't move at all? That's not really a viable option for this project.

I make custom bondage and fetish furniture, this "crib" will contain a full size mattress and the occupant hasn't been an infant for quite some time

I ... need to see pictures.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Plot twist.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tres Burritos posted:

In which your mattress is on the floor, your gate isn't liable to kill anybody, your hardware costs $20 and your materials quote on 1" dowel causes your client to lower the crib's height by half.

You can drill straight through your framing lumber for your dowel, which I've done making a safety rail over some stairs. You also would need to account for clearance on the latch side.

Anyway, I'm done working for the day and can't leave for another half hour if anyone wants me to rough sketch some more fetish gear.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

She also ordered one of our "standard" bed, which looks like so:

She wants the drop side, so I'm going to exhaust every option on that, but if it's just impossible, it'll probably have to be a gate like on our under-bed cage line:

Huxley posted:

In which your mattress is on the floor, your gate isn't liable to kill anybody, your hardware costs $20 and your materials quote on 1" dowel causes your client to lower the crib's height by half.

No poo poo, the dowels alone are 200% of the cost of the entire rest of the lumber for this, so far.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Look at me pitching my hobbyist level poo poo at a professional.

I would still try and find a way not to let that gate go all the way to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

No poo poo, the dowels alone are 200% of the cost of the entire rest of the lumber for this, so far.

I've seen dowel-cutting jigs that didn't look too complicated; if you need a lot of dowels I don't think it's out of the question to consider cutting them yourself rather than buying them off the shelf.

If I recall correctly, one of the jigs was basically drilling an angled hole through some 1/8" or 1/4" sheet metal, which made an edge that was sharp enough to cut wood. Mount a stick of wood on a drill, set the end in the hole, turn the drill on, and press the wood through the hole.