Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Cool Stuff is having another sale. Has anyone played Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game? I'm kind of waffling between that and Flick 'Em Up.
Friend demoed it, it's horrible trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

homullus posted:

I don't think a game has done quite what it did since then. You will see things you recognize from modern board games and some things that you do not. I think it is pretty neat but it's been a few decades since I played it.

Well, I've started reading the rules for Republic of Rome, and I'm hooked on the concept of a political game of handing out political offices and favors, but with a semi-cooperative angle. I think that elevates it above some other political games, like Tammany Hall. The rules, though, oh my God, I kinda want to redesign the game before I even play it.

For example, each turn you draw a card, which might be an event card. A sane person would implement this concept thusly:
*Draw from a deck of cards; if it's an event then resolve it.

Republic of Rome does it like this:
*On your turn, roll 2d6. If the result is anything but 7, draw a card.
*If you rolled a 7, roll 3d6.
*Consult a chart for the name of the event corresponding to your 3d6 result
*Fetch the matching event and resolve it.
*Also, a turn is called an "initiative", because gently caress you.

Triskelli posted:

Re: team play, the Martin Wallace wargames do a thing where the main game of nation-building is punctuated by 2-4 wars where players are forced to pair off into one of two teams and fight for a few turns. I’m surprised more political games haven’t tried that model instead of the constant low-level skirmishes or outrunning doomstacks in most Risk offspring.
What are the best Martin Wallace games that do this?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of old political games, is Kremlin worth playing? We tried years ago and couldn't get past the weird health chart mechanic and the impenetrable rules but I'd like to give it a real run through before selling it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I just got a shipping notification from Aetherworks and there is only one thing that could be!

It means Gloomhaven has hit Terra Australis!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I'm out of the new games loop and don't follow Kickstarter, what's the big deal about Gloomhaven?

I just started playing Dominion again with expansions, and they've really opened the game up for me. I first played it when the base set came out and liked the mechanics, but dismissed it because the strategy didn't seem that varied over several plays. But the expansions open up different ways to approach the game and it's been really interesting trying to figure out what to do with each set of cards and how to react to what the other players are doing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

James The 1st posted:

I'm out of the new games loop and don't follow Kickstarter, what's the big deal about Gloomhaven?
The big deal currently is that the second kickstarter has started shipping so lots of people have their hands on it.

The big deal overall is that it's a dungeon crawler with solid mechanics and a loving ridiculous amount of content.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Harry Potter deckbuilder is pretty fun. Probably not too tricky for a 9 year old. In fact, I think it's probably easier to grasp than most deckbuilders, because there's not really any mental math in the game like Dominion where you're remembering your actions/buys/etc. Play a card, do a thing, take a token maybe. None of the interactions are very tricky.
The theming is really great. My wife is a big time Harry Potter enthusiast and she loves it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

James The 1st posted:

It's a dungeon crawler that's built on really solid mechanics using card play for everything (movement, attacks, etc) instead of dice. It has a long campaign with a ton of scenarios and town events with unlockable and upgradeable classes. It's just all around great if you're at all into tactical combat or ever enjoyed DnD.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Harry Potter deckbuilder is pretty fun. Probably not too tricky for a 9 year old. In fact, I think it's probably easier to grasp than most deckbuilders, because there's not really any mental math in the game like Dominion where you're remembering your actions/buys/etc. Play a card, do a thing, take a token maybe. None of the interactions are very tricky.
The theming is really great. My wife is a big time Harry Potter enthusiast and she loves it.

It also has a somewhat built in campaign mode of sorts, so it ramps up. I like the game, but not as engaging as some other deckbuilders.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a longtime tabletop RPG'er I cross my arms at a boardgame playing DM but we were down a player in yesterday's session and scrambling to find some filler. Still haven't received notification Gloomhaven is on its way to my place and their email updates keep reassuring me not to worry.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sleekly posted:

I just got a shipping notification from Aetherworks and there is only one thing that could be!

It means Gloomhaven has hit Terra Australis!

Got mine on Tuesday ;)

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Has anyone else noticed yet that Shut Up & Sit Down love to recommend alternative games that fill the same niche after a less-than-positive review, often mentioning money as an issue because they care about their fans' wallets etc, and yet in their new holiday guide they recommend both Monikers, and The Metagame, a game that among its different play options is the ability to play Monikers perfectly fine (some would arguably better because their cards fit a wider age range/cultural experience). Like, obviously people would only need just one, and yet SUSD recommend both without mentioning their overlap. Just...something I noticed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are the best Martin Wallace games that do this?

It's Struggle of Empires and it's ancient-era reskin (Sword of Rome or something like that). It's a really cool, if weird system in which players bid to place themselves and the others on an initiative track that also designates allegiance to one of the two forced alliances.

In that game you don't actually fight wars of conquest (you cannot ever enter a player's home space), but rather compete over colonies/client states where at the beginning of each war VP tokens are randomly spawned. So, for example, if the New World is juicy and only one other player has a respectable fleet, you can force-ally him so that you can rush your own colonial troops uninterrupted. Or, conversely, break a cartel of two players who get along fine in complementary positions.

It's really Machiavellian and fun and every once in a while I'm itching to go look for a used copy, but would probably prefer someone stole a bunch of this game's ideas for a slightly streamlined (de-Wallace-ified) take on it.

quote:

Well, I've started reading the rules for Republic of Rome, and I'm hooked on the concept of a political game of handing out political offices and favors, but with a semi-cooperative angle.

Then join me in nervously waiting for proper opinions on Cole Wehrle's John Company.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The thing that I'm not sure I can get over in John Company is that retirements, which both shake up the company and are the only way to get VP, are decided by a single, unaugmented die roll. That's base rules anyway, we saw a few laws (votable additional rules) that changed that but they always seemed to give a deciding power to the guy who could build shipyards cheaper, and therefore had the most votes.
I mean, compared to RoR's randomness that's nothing but for a modern game it bugged me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

terebikun posted:

Has anyone else noticed yet that Shut Up & Sit Down love to recommend alternative games that fill the same niche after a less-than-positive review, often mentioning money as an issue because they care about their fans' wallets etc, and yet in their new holiday guide they recommend both Monikers, and The Metagame, a game that among its different play options is the ability to play Monikers perfectly fine (some would arguably better because their cards fit a wider age range/cultural experience). Like, obviously people would only need just one, and yet SUSD recommend both without mentioning their overlap. Just...something I noticed.
Weren’t they directly involved in the development of The Metagame? I don’t know if that helps shed light on anything.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a dungeon crawler that's built on really solid mechanics using card play for everything (movement, attacks, etc) instead of dice. It has a long campaign with a ton of scenarios and town events with unlockable and upgradeable classes. It's just all around great if you're at all into tactical combat or ever enjoyed DnD.

No joke the class design and character advance ment is better than any edition of d&d. Which is astounding given relative number of attempts.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just to add about Gloomhaven, the amount of game you get for how much it costs might be the best value in gaming. He could have easily charged $200 for the amount of content you actually get.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canyoneer posted:

It seems sort of cool, watching a video. I wouldn't buy something HP themed because I would never get it to the table, so it would be interesting to see a more complex retheme.

edit: After watching some more, I think it's fine for a kids' game, but drat, there are some real fixes the game needs. The market row loving suuuuucks.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rad Valtar posted:

Just to add about Gloomhaven, the amount of game you get for how much it costs might be the best value in gaming. He could have easily charged $200 for the amount of content you actually get.

Yeah he could have easily jacked the price up for the second KS. I love it when a person/company can actually understand the concept of enough instead of the most. Was very happy to support him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I wish that Rahdo would just loving use edits (and have a different voice and personality) instead of trying to do everything in one take, so I don't have to feel actual physical anguish watching him gently caress up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Other rules-explainers are available.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The Watch it Played guy manages to be professional and film things sans Jason Bourne shaky cam so... yeah, go with him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gloomhaven has killed every other Dungeon Crawler with its card system. And I've only seen 1/3 of the character classes so far.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Counterpoint: It takes too long to play once you've opened a couple of boxes, and it's downright stupidly torturously long by the end. I found it noticeably overstayed its welcome as early as game 3.

You don't have to count actions and buys but you do have to remember additional turn steps, dark arts cards, ongoing effects from villain cards, triggered effects from your character card, the process that happens when you're reduced to 0 health, the exact timing of the market refresh (end of turn rather than immediately, unlike most market row deckbuilders) etc. I don't think it's a really big difference between the two in terms of ease of play, but I'd rather teach Dominion any day.

The rotating market sucks so bad that they put out an official variant that lets you spend resources to clear and redraw the market. Nuff said.

The theme in the overall -structure- of the game is alright I suppose ("fight villains, defend locations"), but the thematic relevance of the card effects themselves is basically nonexistent, it's 90% "here's a card that's named after something from one of the movies, and it has a picture of that thing from the movies, but the card effects are some combination of resources X, Y, and Z, given either to you, to another player, or to all players."

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So is the second Gloomhaven Kickstarter the best way to get Gloomhaven now?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Glagha posted:

That was over months ago, people are getting their SHIPMENTS from it now. (hence excitement from playing it). Its supposed to be retail available Jan-Feb

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Glagha posted:

No, that is done; wait until early next year and buy it from a retailer that bought tons from the 2nd kickstarter.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyther posted:

Counterpoint: It takes too long to play once you've opened a couple of boxes, and it's downright stupidly torturously long by the end. I found it noticeably overstayed its welcome as early as game 3.

You don't have to count actions and buys but you do have to remember additional turn steps, dark arts cards, ongoing effects from villain cards, triggered effects from your character card, the process that happens when you're reduced to 0 health, the exact timing of the market refresh (end of turn rather than immediately, unlike most market row deckbuilders) etc. I don't think it's a really big difference between the two in terms of ease of play, but I'd rather teach Dominion any day.

The rotating market sucks so bad that they put out an official variant that lets you spend resources to clear and redraw the market. Nuff said.

The theme in the overall -structure- of the game is alright I suppose ("fight villains, defend locations"), but the thematic relevance of the card effects themselves is basically nonexistent, it's 90% "here's a card that's named after something from one of the movies, and it has a picture of that thing from the movies, but the card effects are some combination of resources X, Y, and Z, given either to you, to another player, or to all players."

That was an impression that I got from the video I watched. I think that the HP themeing is actually pretty limiting, and doesn't fit well with the direct conflict mechanic of 'attacking' and doing 'damage', nor the money analog of 'prestige'. I'm assuming interactions and mechanics become more interesting as you advance through the chapters, but from what I saw it's very much open to quarterbacking, and the cards never did anything that interesting, nor lead to any cool combinations or interactions.

The market row is the big killer, though. I'm not sure entirely how you fix it, but you need character abilities to manage and interact with the market. Maybe that comes up in later games? That's throwing in even more randomness with a completely unpredictable "bad things happen" deck.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I have had Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition for a while and am finally putting together a group to actually play the drat thing. Are the expansions necessary for a solid experience? Should I sell it and get 4th Ed instead??

I also found this regarding the political deck: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-chaff Is this good advice or should I disregard?

It's hard for me to schedule six people to play a game for half a day so I want to make sure the experience is as solid as possible since it might be awhile before I can get another chance to play. TIA.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
TI3 core has some severe balance problems because of Initiative and Imperial. The expansions replace Imperial with more balanced versions.

I have no idea about TI4, but I assume that FFG learned from the TI3 issues and balanced the role cards a bit better.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The CSI sale includes Mermaid Rain for a whopping $3. I picked up the game a while back after watching this review and I've quite enjoyed it, at $3 its an insane steal.

The gist of the game is: you get a big hand of cards every turn and make poker combinations with them. Better poker hands give you bigger bonuses and put you ahead in turn order, however you use the leftover cards in your hand to move around the board and grab treasures. Play a big combination like a full house and you'll get to go first, but wont have many cards to work with. Play a small combination and you'll have a bunch of cards, but everyone else might grab the good stuff from the board before your turn comes around.

Its not a perfect game by any stretch, the art leaves a lot to be desired and setup is a bit of a pain, but it plays smooth even at 6 players and has some pretty neat ideas.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

If your friends that play lovely party games wish to play Spank The Yeti, run away. I have played just about all the lovely "internet humor" card games (one person in our board game group buys them all for god knows why), and this is easily the worst. The humor is the usual cringey meme garbage, but what makes it even worse is it's just insanely dull.

It's basically a game of gently caress,marry, kill only the game gives you three craaazy options and gives you the three people choices as well. So it's just a group of people repeating the exact same "jokes" over and over again when announcing what they picked.

Made Bears vs. Babies seem like a laugh riot in comparison.

Looking for advice for shorter filler games. Our collection keeps getting bigger with super long games and that isn't the most compatible for when we have a bunch of people over. Right now, our selection is Kingdomino, Lovecraft Letters, Hero Realms, Splendor, a few versions of Codenames, Tsuro.

Also, thoughts on the Splendor expansion?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

If your friends that play lovely party games wish to play Spank The Yeti, run away. I have played just about all the lovely "internet humor" card games (one person in our board game group buys them all for god knows why), and this is easily the worst. The humor is the usual cringey meme garbage, but what makes it even worse is it's just insanely dull.

It's basically a game of gently caress,marry, kill only the game gives you three craaazy options and gives you the three people choices as well. So it's just a group of people repeating the exact same "jokes" over and over again when announcing what they picked.

Made Bears vs. Babies seem like a laugh riot in comparison.

Looking for advice for shorter filler games. Our collection keeps getting bigger with super long games and that isn't the most compatible for when we have a bunch of people over. Right now, our selection is Kingdomino, Lovecraft Letters, Hero Realms, Splendor, a few versions of Codenames, Tsuro.

Also, thoughts on the Splendor expansion?

No Thanks is great. You have a deck of cards from 3 to 35. The goal of the game is to have the lowest possible score counting up the number of the cards you take each turn. You have chips that let you pass (say 'No Thanks') to the current card, however at the end of the game these chips score as -1 point. Therefore a 12 with 3 chips on it could be thought of as a 9 instead. However, you have a limited number of chips (11) so they also serve as a resource to avoid high value cards.

Cards also factor in runs of numbers. You always score the lowest card of a run. If you have 16, 17, 18, and 19, then instead of scoring ~50 some points, you instead only score 16. Taking a card also gives you control of the deck, and lets you act first on the next card. This leads to press your luck situations, where you have the only high value 30 card, and the next lowest one comes up. You can pass on it repeatedly, trying to extract the most chips possible, but also risk someone else doing the math and taking it to gently caress you over, or someone running out of chips and being forced to take it.

To complicate matters further, you always burn the first 9 cards of the deck, meaning that you can't count on there being a gap that bridges, for instance, 10, 11, and 12, with 14, 15 and 16.

It's a very simple game in terms of rules and teaching, plays at a light 10 to 15 minutes (with a recommended form of play calculating lowest score after 3 rounds), but is super compelling, and I haven't found a group that doesn't like it yet.

Also travels light (about the size of two card decks side by side) and is cheap, $15.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I like Coup and Patchwork for as filler games. Coup seats up to six and takes maybe five minutes for a round and Patchwork is for two and will take about fifteen to twenty minutes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The CSI sale includes Mermaid Rain for a whopping $3. I picked up the game a while back after watching this review and I've quite enjoyed it, at $3 its an insane steal.

The gist of the game is: you get a big hand of cards every turn and make poker combinations with them. Better poker hands give you bigger bonuses and put you ahead in turn order, however you use the leftover cards in your hand to move around the board and grab treasures. Play a big combination like a full house and you'll get to go first, but wont have many cards to work with. Play a small combination and you'll have a bunch of cards, but everyone else might grab the good stuff from the board before your turn comes around.

Its not a perfect game by any stretch, the art leaves a lot to be desired and setup is a bit of a pain, but it plays smooth even at 6 players and has some pretty neat ideas.

I have this game too! I bought it for the same reason - the review makes it look good.

Uh, the theme is a turnoff for a lot of people.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Jordan7hm posted:

I have this game too! I bought it for the same reason - the review makes it look good.

Uh, the theme is a turnoff for a lot of people.

Its a drat shame that many board gamers aren't comfortable enough in their masculinity to take pride in being the prettiest mermaid, a drat shame. I tend to ham it up, start some trash talk; that helps people get into it, but the groups I usually play with are receptive to that kind of thing to begin with.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I have had Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition for a while and am finally putting together a group to actually play the drat thing. Are the expansions necessary for a solid experience? Should I sell it and get 4th Ed instead??

I also found this regarding the political deck: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-chaff Is this good advice or should I disregard?

It's hard for me to schedule six people to play a game for half a day so I want to make sure the experience is as solid as possible since it might be awhile before I can get another chance to play. TIA.

Shattered Empire is pretty much essential.

TI4 is a little more streamlined, but doesn't seem essential.

Thinning the political deck is a taste thing. If you haven't played before you may as well leave it alone.

Also, ban Yssaril tribes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The End posted:

Shattered Empire is pretty much essential.

TI4 is a little more streamlined, but doesn't seem essential.

Thinning the political deck is a taste thing. If you haven't played before you may as well leave it alone.

Also, ban Yssaril tribes.

The only thing about TI4 that interests me is that they supposedly improved the political dynamic, which I thought was very weak in 3. Other than that it seems skippable, especially if you get the first expansion.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
You could pretty easily houserule the new TI4 politics into TI3 I reckon. The new tech tree is the only thing that needs fundamental changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Its a drat shame that many board gamers aren't comfortable enough in their masculinity to take pride in being the prettiest mermaid, a drat shame. I tend to ham it up, start some trash talk; that helps people get into it, but the groups I usually play with are receptive to that kind of thing to begin with.

It isn't guys who've had a problem with it. The whole find a prince thing was a turnoff for the gf.