Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Amara posted:

Huh, the richest people I know are NYC people, will references really reach across the country to Nevada? Well, I'll give it a shot anyway!

I figured someone would have jumped on this by now. Find an attorney who practices employment law. Preferably a small firm that does defense side stuff. Look at the attorneys. Find one who you think you'll like (you like their schools, you like that they are/aren't religious, you like their charities, etc). You want them to work on employment issues. Call them and ask if they can give you a consultation on an employment contract.

The consultation with an attorney is them determining if you have an issue they can help you with. They will likely charge you for the consultation, that's normal. Don't pay more than 100-200 though. If he can help, ask what his experience is in reviewing that type of contract, what he can do for you, and what he'll cost you. If he can't help, a good attorney will say "This is outside my field/knowledge, but Joe at Boye Hees Goodman specializes in this and is my friend, go talk to him."

Regardless, most attorneys want your business either now or in the future. If you're coming in with money to pay, they will probably be very happy and friendly. I don't know how much this would cost, it's so outside my field that I have no clue what to expect.

You do want someone local to you in Nevada. If you don't live there already, you can do most of it by phone I suspect.

In sum, small firm in Nevada, someone who does employment law, take it from there.

I figured someone more knowledgeable than me would have answered by now, sorry. This is what I'd do if I were looking for an attorney (and I'm am attorney myself).

Good luck, let us know if it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
While that is good advice, bear in mind that cold-calling someone at a law firm will most likely get you as far as a secretary who will at best refer you to a more junior attorney.

This obviously doesn't apply to someone who actively advertises their business but most attorneys I know work mostly through other attorney's references. I know I would probably not set up a meeting with some rando that got my name off Google since I don't post ads looking for business.

So I guess I'm more on the side of "find a lawyer you know and get them to refer you". I imagine that an NYC lawyer has probably dealt with at least one Nevada lawyer or knows someone who has, don't worry if the referral isn't directly from the guy you know.

Just as an example, some time ago I called a lawyer in Miami so he could refer me someone in NYC and it was no big deal.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you have a website, and someone calls asking to set up a paid consultation, you wouldn't take that?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I make pottery, and often have music playing in the background at the studio. Sometimes I take video of a project I'm working on and post it on Facebook. Recently, Facebook has been deleting my videos because there's third party content in it (the music in the background). I have "offended" enough that I've gotten a temporary ban from posting videos for a few days at a time.

Facebook sends me a message saying they deleted it, but if I think it was a mistake and I'm sure I have full legal rights to be using the third party content, I can bypass the deletion and still post the video. Could I legally get in trouble for doing this? I get a lot of views on my videos and more traffic on my page after I've posted a video, and it's a real pain in the rear end to keep getting banned.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If by "this" you mean having the right to publish the music and telling YouTube that you have the rights to publish the music, no, you won't get in legal trouble.
If by "this" you mean not having the right to publish the music and lying that you do have the rights to publish the music, yes, you could get in legal trouble.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Or just don't have music on when you record?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Or use recordings that are out of copyright?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, if you put up copyrighted music you're going to keep getting smacked. Pause the music when you're recording, or put up mute videos with subtitles, probably.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Youtube has agreements with most major labels so you can tell them to demonitize those videos. It essentially means they will show ads over videos with copyrighted music, but you won't get the money - the copyright holder will.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OP is talking about Facebook, not YouTube, as far as I can tell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Post the video on YouTube and embed it in Facebook then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do that, Facebook video sucks anyhow.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Unless you have a business relationship with Facebook and money changes hands, Facebook doesn't care about you regardless of what they say in community policies.

It's not your legal question, but you could add your voiceover and whatnot after recording and use music that's either public domain or an appropriate license to avoid having to worry about any DMCA or lawsuits from copyright holders. It wouldn't necessarily stop Facebook initially taking things down (I've gotten zucced over pictures of squash) but it could be a way to cover your butt.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On tax questions of real estate rental properties, why am I having such a hard time finding a lawyer that will help me figure out tax implications before I am in trouble with the IRS and before I have finalized a purchase? I'm happy to pay consultation fees, but I seem to not know the magic words required to summon such a lawyer. State bar recommended a lawyer that also couldn't help. My lawyer recommends accountants, and they recommend lawyers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

baquerd posted:

On tax questions of real estate rental properties, why am I having such a hard time finding a lawyer that will help me figure out tax implications before I am in trouble with the IRS and before I have finalized a purchase? I'm happy to pay consultation fees, but I seem to not know the magic words required to summon such a lawyer. State bar recommended a lawyer that also couldn't help. My lawyer recommends accountants, and they recommend lawyers.

You need to find the RIGHT CPA. Not paper pushing "enter yo poo poo into turbotax" people. The kind that you are looking for work primarily with businesses not individuals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Also they have letters after their names, and their invoices have lots of zeros.

But man a good accountant is worth every loving penny.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

a new interpretation of one these thread's classics

Here's the original video, without any missing sections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 28, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
alright alright

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Good Parmesan posted:

If an online merchant allows you to purchase gift cards with gift cards, and each purchase gives you points (allowing an infinite churn loop), do they have legal recourse to recoup losses if you then use the points for later purchases or gift cards?

What do the terms and conditions say?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I imagine that their lawyers are capable of making it such that redeeming your infinite points will not be much more cost effective than just buying things normally.

See: Leonard v PepsiCo, Inc.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 28, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

alright alright

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I imagine that their lawyers are capable of making it such that redeeming your infinite points will not be much more cost effective than just buying things normally.

See: Leonard v PepsiCo, Inc.

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 30, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well they can certainly try. How much are you willing to spend to try to win?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Every contract ever, and yes you have entered into a contract with the company even if you haven't signed anything, is governed by good-faith principles which let judges fill in the blanks like the ones in your case.

What good-faith entails is up to the judge, but you posting about how you're gaming the system already tells me that you will most likely not fall in the judge's good graces

I guess the question is, how confident are you that you won't get caught?

Also don't answer the question in a publicly searchable forum lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What I'm hearing is that, say you buy a $50 gift card, and get like $5 worth of "reward points" that you can only spend on this company's stuff - like store credit. So, the poster manually buys the same $50 gift card 100 times a day, racking up $500/day in store credits. Then, when their pot is big enough for their liking, they cash in all the credits on a big-ticket item.

I see the following Possible Outcomes:
- The amount is so nominal, they'd never notice or care.
- Regardless of the amount, they still wouldn't notice because they have no system for monitoring abuses.
- They catch on, and tell you they'll refuse to honor purchases with the points because you gamed the system - you place an order, it gets flagged, they cancel it and notify you.
- They have a "maximum number of points per purchase" limit for the use of store credit, so even if you have $5,000 in store credits, you can only spend like $100 at a time meaning you'd have to buy 100 separate smaller items, or maybe your store account has a maximum number of points you can earn.
- You place an order, it gets flagged, but somehow they honor the request, mail you your poo poo, then decide "Whoops, shouldn't have done that!" and notify you of their intent to unwind the transaction, either via litigation or a request that you return the items.

I'm interested in the potential results because the promise of human suffering feeds my black soul, but I'm gonna say: "Don't do it."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite scam was my buddy who bought CDs from Sam Goody on a student discount and then returned them for full retail. Earned 3-4$ per cd.

Millennials will not understand this post.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What legal grounds does a company have to accept payment, ship an item, then decide "I don't wanna" and try to claw it back?

Their reward funbux are valid entirely at their discretion, so once they take it it's not like the check can bounce or something that makes the agreed-upon payment no longer exist.

I mean I'm sure there's a way, because the law falling in favor of a person rather than a company is a hilarious concept in the USA, but still.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was on the bar exam and I've wiped it an all UCC knowledge from my brain

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

euphronius posted:

My favorite scam was my buddy who bought CDs from Sam Goody on a student discount and then returned them for full retail. Earned 3-4$ per cd.

Millennials will not understand this post.

As a millennial, I've never heard of that bank, or special CD rates for students, but that's the point. You pay a certain amount, and then when the certificate matures, you get your investment back with interest.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As a millennial, I've never heard of that bank, or special CD rates for students, but that's the point. You pay a certain amount, and then when the certificate matures, you get your investment back with interest.

:cheers:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really want this post to be real.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

What legal grounds does a company have to accept payment, ship an item, then decide "I don't wanna" and try to claw it back?

Their reward funbux are valid entirely at their discretion, so once they take it it's not like the check can bounce or something that makes the agreed-upon payment no longer exist.

I mean I'm sure there's a way, because the law falling in favor of a person rather than a company is a hilarious concept in the USA, but still.

They could argue that it was an unconscionable contract, or that there was no contract at all, because of a failure of consideration. They're giving away free money because of a technical error. I'd be surprised if a Court said, "tough poo poo."

Like what if a local restaurant was making change for a customer and accidentally gave them $100 back instead of $10 because their register was hosed up? That patron doesn't get to keep the money.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

What I'm hearing is that, say you buy a $50 gift card, and get like $5 worth of "reward points" that you can only spend on this company's stuff - like store credit. So, the poster manually buys the same $50 gift card 100 times a day, racking up $500/day in store credits. Then, when their pot is big enough for their liking, they cash in all the credits on a big-ticket item.

I see the following Possible Outcomes:
- The amount is so nominal, they'd never notice or care.
- Regardless of the amount, they still wouldn't notice because they have no system for monitoring abuses.
- They catch on, and tell you they'll refuse to honor purchases with the points because you gamed the system - you place an order, it gets flagged, they cancel it and notify you.
- They have a "maximum number of points per purchase" limit for the use of store credit, so even if you have $5,000 in store credits, you can only spend like $100 at a time meaning you'd have to buy 100 separate smaller items, or maybe your store account has a maximum number of points you can earn.
- You place an order, it gets flagged, but somehow they honor the request, mail you your poo poo, then decide "Whoops, shouldn't have done that!" and notify you of their intent to unwind the transaction, either via litigation or a request that you return the items.

I'm interested in the potential results because the promise of human suffering feeds my black soul, but I'm gonna say: "Don't do it."

I read it as the guy buys a $50 gift card and gets $5, uses the gift card to buy another $50 gift card and get $5, uses that gift card to buy another gift card and gets $5, and on and on, meaning they never spend any money and just get as much in free $5 credits as they feel like getting.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Most places only let you buy gift cards with cash iirc.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, it turns out that the basic structure of churning credit cards - run a charge on the card that can be turned into cash equivalents, pay the credit card bill with the cash, collect the rewards points, and repeat - is also really useful for getting money from stolen credit cards.

Cash-only policies are rare, but low purchase limits and extra ID scrutiny are very common.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vargatron posted:

Around me, most places also accept debit via Interac (not Visa debit, which we don’t really do).

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

alright alright

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 30, 2017

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
This came up at my work. Can a juvenile adjudication convicted person for a serious crime (I work for a state Sex Offender Registry) own a gun? Does they count as felony? We tell people 'seek a professional legal opinion'. Curious if there is any consensus.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

This came up at my work. Can a juvenile adjudication convicted person for a serious crime (I work for a state Sex Offender Registry) own a gun? Does they count as felony? We tell people 'seek a professional legal opinion'. Curious if there is any consensus.

I think a felony for gun bans is considered "any crime punishable by more than one year of prison", regardless of whether they actually serve the time. So if you get convicted of Class A assault or something, punishable by up to 18 months in prison, even if you only get 6 months, that conviction still counts against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Arkhamina posted:

This is an interesting question. I would argue that the federal statute prohibiting gun ownership by felons (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1)) specifically requires "conviction" and many states do not define juvenile adjudication as a "conviction." At least one court agrees with me. United States v. Davis, 234 F. Supp. 2d 601, 601 (E.D. Va. 2002).

In Louisiana, some juvenile offenses are called "felony-grade" and conviction adjudication of delinquency for certain of these offenses requires revocation of the juvenile's right to own a firearm.

However, there are Louisiana cases that say that adjudications of delinquency cannot be used as "prior convictions" to enhance later sentences under habitual offender laws, since the adjudications occur without the benefit of a jury trial. You would think the same logic applies to gun restrictions under Federal law requiring "conviction."

So you have to look at state law as well as federal law.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 30, 2017