Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

realistically I don't see any new companies or incubators popping up to take up all this extra office space unless they're massively funded and with companies downsizing/outsourcing/moving things to the cloud the need for additional office space is minimal at best

the market is in a bubble unless your property has street name recognition value

realistically you spend all day sitting in your bedroom watching your minwage drones silently hating you via webcam and imagining you're some kind of capitalist prison warden

gonna say you don't really understand the basics of white collar office needs, guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neon Noodle posted:

Makes me wonder whether WeWork is in fact some kind of weird commercial real estate arbitrage business instead of :airquote:co-working:airquote:

Eh, really? I mean when I've had the occasion to glance in on a location or two, there do seem to be the same sort of crowd that would otherwise be in a Starbucks for 8 hours straight typing away at something or other.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

boner confessor posted:

realistically you spend all day sitting in your bedroom watching your minwage drones silently hating you via webcam and imagining you're some kind of capitalist prison warden

gonna say you don't really understand the basics of white collar office needs, guy

Lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Polygynous posted:

reminds me I never read more than the first page of that thread about a moron remodeling his bathroom

Lol the one where he sheared off 4" from his engineered beams?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That thread is goldmined. Totally worth a :ck5:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Magius1337est posted:

unless your office needs to be locationally relevant it's easily one of the things a corporation can cut to save a lot of money, I see tons of entire floors in nice buildings in our office parks that have been empty for years now

I think most new companies could either adapt to use as minimal office space as possible or possibly do without it entirely

intuit the tax management software company runs out of a stripmall office nearby

At $262M and 466ksqft, that's one hell of a "stripmall office."

There are going to be lots of interesting developments in corporate real estate in the next few decades. But the idea of a shared space dedicated to work isn't going away.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Devor posted:

If you are a purchasing manager and sign a contract where Total Cost of N units is greater than Total Cost of N+1 units, you have done something wrong.

If you're okay with me buying 5 widgets for a total of $1465, you can go ahead and charge me $1465 for 4 widgets and just throw one of them out at your factory.

price breaks like this are really common, especially when you're not dealing with custom quotes or anything. like look at this random part from an electronics supplier:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/ERJ-2GEJ330X/P33JCT-ND/146979

check out the unit price from 1 to 5000. and this is small fry stuff--once you start ordering 100k+ quantities from a major distributor, the unit price drops way lower.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
More Sears news:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/11/30/sears-earnings/908265001/

Sears "cut its losses" to only 500 million in the third quarter, which is a sign of "improvement"

Another source describes this in less charitable terms:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14406204/1/sears-third-quarter-earnings-were-a-disaster.html

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Same store sales down 15%?

Yeah, they are hosed.

If same store sales drop 2 or 3 percent at a normal chain you see the stock tank and a massive executive reshuffle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i find it hilarious that i live in a world where losing 500 million dollars is better then expected, but im not sure how to feel considering it probably is actually better then expected

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Slanderer posted:

price breaks like this are really common, especially when you're not dealing with custom quotes or anything. like look at this random part from an electronics supplier:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/ERJ-2GEJ330X/P33JCT-ND/146979

check out the unit price from 1 to 5000. and this is small fry stuff--once you start ordering 100k+ quantities from a major distributor, the unit price drops way lower.

Once you get above 1k, they're just shipping you entire reels of the stuff from the supplier instead of cutting and respooling it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Interesting article on retail pay.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/business/economy/retail-work.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Interesting article on why retail work is horrible in the US, yet it doesn't have to be. Countries that actually pay better wages and offer more humane working conditions see vastly higher sales per square foot of retail space.

"And what is critical is that European retailers can afford this: the researchers found that large food stores in France sell about twice as much per hour as American stores. Value added per employee is about 12 percent higher. And French stores sell about three times as much per square foot, not least because of tight zoning regulations that limit their size."

Higher minimum wages and better labour laws wouldn't kill US retail, it would just force them to utilize their space better and be more productive like their european counterparts. It would though lead to fewer jobs and fewer locations, but this is a long time coming in the US retail market, it's insanely over-served. It's interesting too that the US's pro-sprawl policies that have also had a huge hand in shaping the physical environment of retail to be as large and sprawling as possible is also a tool of suppressing wages.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is something I see come up sometimes when people discuss manufacturing jobs. A lot of people (including reporters, unfortunately) make it seem like the loss of manufacturing jobs is bad because they are manufacturing jobs rather than because manufacturing had high unionization rates and therefore better pay and benefits.

Retail jobs are only “bad jobs” because we allow them to be, they are not inherently worse than working in a steel mill or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i agree with you but society still has that dumb idea of "making something" as if the act of workmanlike creation is itself somehow more inherently noble

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Badger of Basra posted:

Retail jobs are only “bad jobs” because we allow them to be, because they are disproportionately filled by women and people of color

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

i agree with you but society still has that dumb idea of "making something" as if the act of workmanlike creation is itself somehow more inherently noble

Personally I think crafting something and honing that skill over a lifetime is more noble than ringing somebody up, or at least more compelling.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

Personally I think crafting something and honing that skill over a lifetime is more noble than ringing somebody up, or at least more compelling.

ringing somebody up well is crafting a positive experience

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Manufacturing is "a real job". All service industry jobs are looked down upon, typically as something you're supposed to do "until you go to school", or something, discounting the fact that there are a massive amount of adults filling these positions.

The horrendous amount of turn-over, lack of experienced employees, etc, complicates things on a daily basis. We go over on hours because of low quality labor and a lack of motivation, and corporate responds by cutting our hours.

When you see the store's financial documents and realize how much more they could afford to pay you, but know you're only getting a .25 cent raise for two years of loyalty, you don't really have much of a reason to give a gently caress.

Mozi posted:

The gently caress is this garbage? I've worked a manufacturing job, as a drill press operator.

I put pipe in a Miter box.

I drilled where I was supposed to.

I removed the pipe, inserted a fresh one.

Behold the work of the noble artisan laid bare

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

boner confessor posted:

Maybe they should pay a ubi so i could afford free time and supplies to whittle or paint or w/e

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cashiers are a smaller part of retail than you think. There is so much administrative, logistics, management, inventory, and sales that go into the industry that is really underappreciated.

15% of the US Army are infantry, FYI, it takes a lot of support to put bodies on the front line.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 30, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Quote is not edit

Also this is my first week out of retail and I am loving this boring rear end office job

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The gently caress is this garbage?
it's weeaboo masturbation

/e - I sigh as I draw my hand forged katana

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it's weeaboo masturbation

/e - I sigh as I draw my hand forged katana
Not even. It's Puritan Work Ethic bullshit.

Ye noble man has made ye thinge.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The gently caress is this garbage? I've worked a manufacturing job, as a drill press operator.

I put pipe in a Miter box.

I drilled where I was supposed to.

I removed the pipe, inserted a fresh one.

Behold the work of the noble artisan laid bare

:same:

If you run your own little shop that does odd jobs, prototypes and small production runs then yeah you might be creative and honing your craft to some extent (also your products are loving expensive unless you're paying yourself minimum wage).

If you got replaced by robots doing the same stereotypical operation more quickly and efficiently on an assembly line then you were not really doing a creative job.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I have made money from making things, creative things. Not a lot, but a few hundred dollars. I might make more if I actually applied myself and got some help for the issues that are holding me back, but whatever. At least I've proven to myself that I can do it.

I do not think for a second that this makes me any better than someone sweeping floors and scraping out shitcans to put food on the table and a roof over their head. I might enjoy the creative thing that I do, but I'm driven by the same thing as any other slob with a job- money.

If I ever succeed and turn into an entitled rear end in a top hat because I made a thing, please make me a corpse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

That's nice, but that's not what 99% of factory workers in industrialized history ever did. More of a thing that would turn up in the early craft-labor factories where you'd gather up like a few dozen potters and all have them work in the same space while you as the capitalist took orders and handled supplies.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

a .25 cent raise

haha whoa slow down there buddy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can I interest you in one of my artisan Excel workbooks?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mozi posted:

I go by the notion that anyone who is able that gets up in the morning and tries to make themselves at least marginally useful...I don't care if you're sweeping floors, calling for price checks, sttempting to cure cancer or making a great work of art...is noble. That's all we can really ask from people.

But I get the impulse behind what you said.

Thing is...all these former 'noble' manufacturing jobs were displaced by rolling cylinders, hydraulic actuators and articulated arms...and not even fancy ones at that in most cases.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
People freak out about the loss of manufacturing jobs because of balance of trade. You can't export retail work, childcare, or taxi-driving. The people who worry about maintaining US global primacy often complain about being a net importer - there seems to be a sense that it can't go on forever without some rival weaponizing the trade deficit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

This is something I see come up sometimes when people discuss manufacturing jobs. A lot of people (including reporters, unfortunately) make it seem like the loss of manufacturing jobs is bad because they are manufacturing jobs rather than because manufacturing had high unionization rates and therefore better pay and benefits.

Retail jobs are only “bad jobs” because we allow them to be, they are not inherently worse than working in a steel mill or something.

In some sense it's true, though, because those manufacturing jobs going away also has knock-on losses in all the industries to supply and transport their goods and materials.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

You can't get people to work those boring rear end jobs without legalizing all sorts of drugs tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mozi posted:

it's still made by a machine, unless you have some wonky rear end idea of what manufacturing jobs really are

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You can't get people to work those boring rear end jobs without legalizing all sorts of drugs tho
Or paying them a good wage & giving them good benefits, which might as well be pulling teeth as far as upper management's concerned.

yurtcradled posted:

People freak out about the loss of manufacturing jobs because of balance of trade.
That's part of it, but not all of it. A lot of it is because manufacturing & resource-gathering job losses decimate areas that had nothing but those jobs, and often in one hyper-specific industry to boot. So you get places like Detroit or coal towns scrambling to find something else to base their economy on before all the younger generations move away and the area collapses entirely. And people often scream for those specific jobs back(and vote for politicians that say they'll magically bring those jobs back), because that's easier than admitting that they're not coming back(at least not in the numbers needed to revitalize their communities) & that putting all your economic eggs in one basket is an inherently precarious position for a region to be in.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Snoo posted:

haha whoa slow down there buddy

Our company does yearly raises based on percentage. In theory, you're making more the longer you stay. In practice, it is so small that for most new hires, it only amounts to a quarter or so.

You might think, "Well in a few years, that sort of system could start paying dividends," but then your hourly rate caps out because of course it does.

I've been told in the past by managers that I have a "mercenary attitude" because I ask about money. Motherfucker, we work at a store; money is the name of the game.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You refering to the service sector jobs now?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I never got regular, reliable raises without having to beg for them before I had a union job :thunk:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yurtcradled posted:

People freak out about the loss of manufacturing jobs because of balance of trade. You can't export retail work, childcare, or taxi-driving. The people who worry about maintaining US global primacy often complain about being a net importer - there seems to be a sense that it can't go on forever without some rival weaponizing the trade deficit.

i understand that you are arguing devil's advocate here

its a bit mercantilist tho, because balance of trade doesn't matter that much. and there's a huge intellectual contribution from the service industry, which is everything from retail drones to fortune 500 ceos. like all the iphones that come to america from china were built on american designs. people often overlook this, america is a huge exporter of ideas as are the other first world nations

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not even. It's Puritan Work Ethic bullshit.

Ye noble man has made ye thinge.

There’s never an excuse to poo poo on service workers but I don’t think we need to whip back so far as to say that one can never take pride in job well done.

A few years ago I was part of a group that helped usher the first four 787-9 Dreamliners through the first build, inspection and FAA certification process. Basically the last 8-10 months of a multiple years long process. There were delays, massive amounts of overtime and it was stressful as all gently caress but the day of first flight they brought us all on the taxiway so we could watch up close. It was drizzling a bit, there were several hundred of us there and we spent about a half hour listening to ATC radios and waiting for the weather to clear up a bit. Finally a pair of chase planes take off, circle around and fly in formation as the -9 took off.

Corporate cynicism I totally get but it wasn’t “Puritan Work Ethic bullshit” we were feeling that morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I don't think most people get a grand payoff like aerospace workers do. We get to watch our poo poo fly off 35,000 feet across the sky in defiance of God Himself.