Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

evobatman posted:

Get one of the OEM mice that are included when you buy a new HP or Dell. They are plastic and cheap as gently caress, and will last forever.

I got a HP mouse because I could get one from a shop instead of waiting for Amazon to deliver one (their cheapest delivery option would have made the price a couple of dollars above what I ended up paying and I'd have been waiting at least a couple of weeks) and so far it seems like a good choice, so thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

queserasera posted:

My hobby rock tumbler finally died. Should I replace it with a Thumler or Lortone or neither?

I, personally, would go with a Lortone because it seems less likely to maim me and easier to maintain.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I recently had a baby and accidentally nicked a blanket from the hospital.

But it grips itself lightly, a bit like Velcro but nowhere near as strong, when placed against itself, which makes it great at swaddling the baby and not have her wriggle out.

Anybody know of something similar? We’ve tried those purpose made swaddles and she doesn’t like them. But all burritoed up in this (presumably cheap) polyester blanket? No problem.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ALL PRINTERS ARE BAD

Show me a fairly basic one that maybe isn't going to murder my pets and steal my money.
Wireless is a plus.
Basic scanner would be nice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

ALL PRINTERS ARE BAD

Show me a fairly basic one that maybe isn't going to murder my pets and steal my money.
Wireless is a plus.

It's been forever since I've even looked at brands, but always avoid inkjets, bite the bullet and get a laser. The average home user even printing a few small documents per day will take years to use up a toner cartridge, plus the added bonus of not having to worry about your paper getting wet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inzombiac posted:

ALL PRINTERS ARE BAD

Wireless is a plus.

Laser brother. You can usually snag a monochrome on sale for cheap.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any specific models I should look at?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Brother is good I hear.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I got a Brother HL-L2340 from Fry's earlier this year for around $100. It's about as basic as laser printers get and has wifi. There's no physical ethernet port which I thought was weird, but whatever.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Horse Clocks posted:

I recently had a baby and accidentally nicked a blanket from the hospital.

But it grips itself lightly, a bit like Velcro but nowhere near as strong, when placed against itself, which makes it great at swaddling the baby and not have her wriggle out.

Anybody know of something similar? We’ve tried those purpose made swaddles and she doesn’t like them. But all burritoed up in this (presumably cheap) polyester blanket? No problem.

Something like 95% of swaddling blankets in US hospitals are manufactured by Medline (Kuddle-up), which you can get on Amazon and eBay. See if any of those look familiar?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Nthing the brother laser printer sentiment. I bought a monochrome USB only printer in 2010 from microcenter on sale for $80. I don't print a ton, but it's still running on the original demo toner cartridge and the only trouble it's ever given me is difficulty picking paper when the tray gets down to 20 or so sheets.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Get a Brother laser that fits your budget. Watch Amazon for frequent sales well below MSRP, including refurbished models.

I grabbed a 2360 refurbished with full warranty on Amazon for $53. Has Ethernet, USB, and WiFi. It supports iOS AirPrint and Google Cloud Print out of the box. It was very easy to configure using the built in Web management page (like a router’s). I could print from my phone straight away, but Win 7 needed a driver :jerkbag:.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
My bed is pushed up right against a wall, and unfortunately it has a very useful power outlet covered up by it. I know of power strips that plug into the wall redirect the outlets to the side, like this;

But I'm wondering if anybody has seen a similar thing that redirects the outlets to the top?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

umalt posted:

My bed is pushed up right against a wall, and unfortunately it has a very useful power outlet covered up by it. I know of power strips that plug into the wall redirect the outlets to the side, like this;

But I'm wondering if anybody has seen a similar thing that redirects the outlets to the top?

Could you just use a flat plug powerstrip? You could hang the body on a nail.

Edit:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
That's kinda my current solution, though I'm just halfway resting it on the side of my bedframe. It falls through though, and it's a little awkward plugging things in. I'd like to mount it, but unfortunately I'm renting so I'd like to avoid anything that requires patching later.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

umalt posted:

That's kinda my current solution, though I'm just halfway resting it on the side of my bedframe. It falls through though, and it's a little awkward plugging things in. I'd like to mount it, but unfortunately I'm renting so I'd like to avoid anything that requires patching later.

3M command adhesive strips are useful for more than just hooks and pictures.

When I was renting a good 80% of my office was held together with them.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have a pair of Audio Technica MX50s and I need a microphone to go with it. I currently have this here which works, but it picks up literally everything, and there isn't a mute button. Any suggestions for something dirt cheap that will get the job done?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: Found what I needed!

Rolo has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

obi_ant posted:

I currently have a pair of Audio Technica MX50s and I need a microphone to go with it. I currently have this here which works, but it picks up literally everything, and there isn't a mute button. Any suggestions for something dirt cheap that will get the job done?

It’s not dirt cheap, but dirt cheap audio gear gets you dirt cheap audio, but the antlion modmic is generally pretty widely recommended.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Phthisis posted:

I'm looking for some cycling-related recommendations.

The first thing I'm looking for is something to keep my ears warm when biking in the cold. I can't fit a hat or anything under the helmet, so those haven't worked.

I'm also looking for a small-ish bag that would work well when biking. Ideally it could carry a laptop in a sleeve, ipad, and book, and not really be any bigger than that.
Two quick thoughts...

For warm winter cycling, forget the bike helmet and get a ski helmet! Rated the same or better impact wise, and it's designed to keep your head warm.

I like my Osprey Talon 22 for cycling, it's just a well designed lightweight pack with a hip strap and pockets there that are handy.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I am looking for a versatile thermos that can work to carry e.g. soup or be used as a regular water bottle; as a gift for an outdoorsy guy. What are some sub- $50 options?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

I am looking for a versatile thermos that can work to carry e.g. soup or be used as a regular water bottle; as a gift for an outdoorsy guy. What are some sub- $50 options?

Zojirushi thermos

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Anyone have any experience with smart locks? I would like to have to not use a key, and perhaps lock from far away just in case?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowmankilla posted:

Anyone have any experience with smart locks? I would like to have to not use a key, and perhaps lock from far away just in case?

You'll get better advice on this in the Home Automation Thread, I hear good things in there about Schlage I think but it's not really something I'm interested in as a low-caste renter so don't really take that as advice.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Schlage makes about as good a consumer-grade lock as you're going to get without serious outlay, I imagine their smart locks are as good as they get right now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wheatpuppy posted:

Walmart's Yeti knockoff insulated mugs are pretty freaking amazing, especially for :10bux: :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Double-Wall-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle-36oz/549118450

I've had ice in mine at my desk for up to four days.

It's durable enough for outdoorsy stuff, I've used it while hiking Arches National Park and it kept cold water decently in the desert. For any kind of more outdoorsy stuff though, you'll want to use a smart water bottle or Gatorade bottle or something, because you don't want unnecessary weight. Worst case a nalgene bottle if you need the durability or want to drink hot stuff. Get a double wall insulated titanium mug of he drinks coffee while backpacking or something.

My suspicion is that the difference between the Ozark stuff and Yeti is the infrared reflective coating on the inner exterior facing wall. Not something you see or many people would ever notice, so it seems like a prime target to save a few bucks on production. I haven't cut it open to confirm, but it does seem to melt ice faster when left on the direct sun, which is a symptom or ir light being absorbed and not reflected back.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh cool didn’t know they had a twist top bottle version now. My Walmart tumbler owns.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I think this is probably a strange request, but can anyone recommend a good mono IEM/earbud? Do they even make really good ones? My girlfriend is deaf in one ear, and as a result when she uses normal stereo headphones she only gets one half of whatever she’s listening to. I would spend up to like $75, but preferably less. Posted in the headphone thread as well, but I figure this is esoteric enough that I’d post here too.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

OSU_Matthew posted:

For warm winter cycling, forget the bike helmet and get a ski helmet! Rated the same or better impact wise, and it's designed to keep your head warm.

Ahh, that's a really good idea. I'll definitely look into it. It's probably overkill for how cold it gets where I'm living now (Baltimore), but at the very least it's worth keeping in mind, as I'll likely be moving somewhere much colder within the next couple of years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

martinlutherbling posted:

I think this is probably a strange request, but can anyone recommend a good mono IEM/earbud? Do they even make really good ones? My girlfriend is deaf in one ear, and as a result when she uses normal stereo headphones she only gets one half of whatever she’s listening to. I would spend up to like $75, but preferably less. Posted in the headphone thread as well, but I figure this is esoteric enough that I’d post here too.

Something like this should make any headphones mono:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...io+adapter+mono

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

martinlutherbling posted:

Depending on why she's deaf in one ear, I hear those bone conduction headphones can help. I read the other day that since they "send" the sound directly to the inner ear, they are good for people who are deaf or hard of hearing due to eardrum injuries. Might be full of poo poo though, I haven't done any proper research about it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A lot of Bluetooth headsets (usually for taking phone calls) are mono.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Android phones and iPhones can be set to output in mono in the accessibility settings.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Thanks for the mug/thermos recommendations! I may end up buying one for myself too. :)

I am also looking for a product I saw here on SA. It's an attachment for a vacuum that you use to clear mucus from sinuses. It was mentioned as an alternative for parents to the bulb-thing you get for newborns. I thought I saw it mentioned in this thread, but maybe it was the recent purchases thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

I am also looking for a product I saw here on SA. It's an attachment for a vacuum that you use to clear mucus from sinuses. It was mentioned as an alternative for parents to the bulb-thing you get for newborns. I thought I saw it mentioned in this thread, but maybe it was the recent purchases thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I hear they kinda suck (no pun intended) and you should just use a nose frida.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright friends, I work with draft beer systems. I regularly handle a caustic solution, take apart small metal beer faucets, and dip my hands in buckets of water to scrub parts.

I need a hardy pair of waterproof gloves that still let me move pretty freely. Maybe just really nice kitchen gloves, basically. I'd really like to be able to still feel what i'm working with a bit, some of these parts are tiny.

The caustic is no good for my hands at all, my fingers are like sandpaper and constantly opening small cracks, it hurts like hell. Regular disposable type gloves dont last more than a second into the cleaning process before tearing apart from metal threads catching on them. Being able to avoid the weekly metal splinters would be a huge plus too.

Jinh has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Dec 15, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone personally tried different CPAP machines and found a winner?

Jinh posted:

Alright friends, I work with draft beer systems. I regularly handle a caustic solution, take apart small metal beer faucets, and dip my hands in buckets of water to scrub parts.

I need a hardy pair of waterproof gloves that still let me move pretty freely. Maybe just really nice kitchen gloves, basically. I'd really like to be able to still feel what i'm working with a bit, some of these parts are tiny.

The caustic is no good for my hands at all, my fingers are like sandpaper and constantly opening small cracks, it hurts like hell. Regular disposable type gloves dont last more than a second into the cleaning process before tearing apart from metal threads catching on them. Being able to avoid the weekly metal splinters would be a huge plus too.

Maybe? https://www.alibaba.com/product-det....7e42f55d882mSc

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jinh posted:

Come to the cruel and unusual chemistry thread. Tell us about the caustic solution (and probably get a reply along the lines of the Four Yorkshiremen's "Luxury!"). I'm sure some of the chemists in there will have a good idea of stuff that's suitable for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jinh posted:

I used to work as a field tech servicing wet process photo printers (chemistry isn't terribly caustic but can result in contact dermatitis if it comes in frequent contact with your skin so gloves were a must) , in my experience the choice was either heavy rubber/vinyl gloves that pretty much trainwreck dexterity with smaller parts or disposable nitrile gloves that allow you to feel smaller parts but run the risk of tearing.

Have you tried heavy duty nitrile gloves? I do most of my own car maintenance and frequently wear these gloves from Harbor Freight when dealing with fluids and they stand up to moderate abuse fairly well.

If you're outside the US or don't have a Harbor Freight nearby you can probably find a comparable product elsewhere or online.