Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

people laugh at all the unfinished poo poo in pongyang but it's p much pot kettle black spiderman spiderman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I recall in at least one of the "we talk to real Trump voters" articles before I stopped reading them as they're all terrible, one of the people asked was on Obamacare and specifically asked about that, she said she didn't believe they'd actually repeal it despite them saying so. I imagine it is the same with the social safety net stuff, it's obvious a certain percentage of the population is so poisoned by partisanship they will vote for child molestors and gropers over a Democrat, just humming to themselves when the republicans threaten the dark ages. Add a dash of " but I really need this, unlike those mooches (who are all dark skinned)" and you got yourself an apocalyptic stew. This wasn't helped by Obama proposing cuts (which some of the GOP members who will destroy these programs used in campaign commercials!)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

logikv9 posted:

they're trying to build one of the largest malls in America nearby me right now. it's going to be a future classic (place for urban explorers to visit,

Wait, where’s this?

North Jersey might actually be able to support it now. A lot of NYC money moving out here.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hilario Baldness posted:

One of the understated bubbles is that of United States debt. My deferred compensation fund (and many, many more like it) has been heavily investing in the United States debt (essentially lending the government money for more money in the form of interest). As the tax reform passes, the government will be entirely unable to pay back that debt and those funds will eventually pop.

Even with the tax cuts this is solidly in tinfoil territory to view as a bubble, if nothing else because we literally have nothing we could measure a pop in. Worry about the bubbles the tax cuts more directly will keep inflating, and the fallout of a shutdown, sure, but in context the debt itself is still very safe.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

they're trying to build one of the largest malls in America nearby me right now. it's going to be a future classic (place for urban explorers to visit, because it will be abandoned day 1)

it's been under construction for years, having been abandoned already several years ago for money reasons. they only restarted it by throwing tax money at it, I think

It's located 25 minutes from another established mall, one that is already considered one of the largest in the country. And also 15 minutes from another mall. Basically, the whole area is saturated.

wait what mall is this

i want to go watch it fail

Agronox posted:

Wait, where’s this?

North Jersey might actually be able to support it now. A lot of NYC money moving out here.

we have a ton of great malls already and i dont think our population and income is going up enough to justify it.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 30, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cant believe i just said great malls in the retail apocalypse. jersey is a freak of nature. diners, malls, convenience stores and neoliberalism are our claims to fame.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Even with the tax cuts this is solidly in tinfoil territory to view as a bubble, if nothing else because we literally have nothing we could measure a pop in. Worry about the bubbles the tax cuts more directly will keep inflating, and the fallout of a shutdown, sure, but in context the debt itself is still very safe.

Debt definitely isn't in a bubble (implying the price was being bid up somehow), but it's clear that our current macroeconomic strategy of increasing the money supply whenever there's a contraction will, long-term, end with either a default or hyperinflation. Even Yellen is open about the current trajectory being unsustainable:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/yellen-20-trillion-national-debt-should-keep-people-awake-at-night.html

This could theoretically happen before the stock market bubble implodes if the fed continuously expands its balance sheet, but I think your assessment is more likely.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

cant believe i just said great malls in the retail apocalypse. jersey is a freak of nature. diners, malls, convenience stores and neoliberalism are our claims to fame.

you are forgetting the highways. many highways, good highways. the best

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

logikv9 posted:

It's located 25 minutes from another established mall, one that is already considered one of the largest in the country. And also 15 minutes from another mall. Basically, the whole area is saturated.
I remember Richard Wolff talking about how the U.S. has wayyyy more malls per capita than any other nation,

quote:

The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia, the next two countries with the most retail space per capita
and

quote:

More than 3,500 stores are expected to close in the next couple of months.

Department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, Sears, and Kmart are among the companies shutting down stores, along with middle-of-the-mall chains like Crocs, BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Guess.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-retail-apocalypse-has-officially-descended-on-america-2017-3

and the death of brick and mortar thread from C-SPAM is here for anyone interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841116

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Hey what's this

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hilario Baldness posted:

One of the understated bubbles is that of United States debt. My deferred compensation fund (and many, many more like it) has been heavily investing in the United States debt (essentially lending the government money for more money in the form of interest). As the tax reform passes, the government will be entirely unable to pay back that debt and those funds will eventually pop.

This is not how the national debt works. The government can literally always pay its debts as long as it chooses to.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is not how the national debt works. The government can literally always pay its debts as long as it chooses to.

Yeah isn't the only issue that the world will start to think that the US is gonna fall apart so they think our money doesn't matter?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Grondoth posted:

Yeah isn't the only issue that the world will start to think that the US is gonna fall apart so they think our money doesn't matter?

Do country-level debts have this functionality in place? If the US owes China $100 Billion or whatever and the value of the USD halves, does China get to say the bill is now $200 Billion? Is the bill in Yuan?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Grondoth posted:

The issue (and what the graph above is highlighting) is that as the government expands the money supply to cover its debts, eventually you have too much money chasing too few goods. This is the end result of that process:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-30/in-venezuela-the-dollar-s-gained-10-768-in-just-last-two-years

Note that it will take a looong time for the USD, which is in incredibly high demand, to reach that point. But there are still physical limits if debt is used to prop up markets indefinitely and we're already 10 years down this road.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Convert the malls into living spaces for small communities to share a central location for food, clothes, jobs, education and living.
Humans are better when we live in small groups and tribes anyways.

Then bomb every loving one of them

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

univbee posted:

Do country-level debts have this functionality in place? If the US owes China $100 Billion or whatever and the value of the USD halves, does China get to say the bill is now $200 Billion? Is the bill in Yuan?

Treasurys are denominated in USD. With the exception of things like TIPS, payments are not adjusted for inflation. You take the risk of dollar devaluation when you buy US government debt.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

univbee posted:

no, that isn't how debt works, the debt to china is made up of a bunch of contracts between corporations and banks (and partly the government too) that have a set time they are repaid just like student loans or credit card debt. It isn't like some dude from the chinese government walks up to some guy from the us government and says "give us 200 billion now thanks"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

no, that isn't how debt works, the debt to china is made up of a bunch of contracts between corporations and banks (and partly the government too) that have a set time they are repaid just like student loans or credit card debt. It isn't like some dude from the chinese government walks up to some guy from the us government and says "give us 200 billion now thanks"

That's what I figured. The devaluation of the USD is obviously a very bad thing but I suspected that wouldn't impact existing debt agreements.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. I had that backwards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grondoth posted:

Hey what's this

money supply in the economy

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

The only real issue is inflation, but as things stand right now that's a comparatively tiny worry compared to everything else.

And yeah, the government debt is basically just a buncha IOUs specifying that the Treasury will pay X dollars to the holder on a specific date. This is also why people going on about foreign governments "calling in the debt" are talking nonsense.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the entire global economy is built on the conceit that US will always honour its debts, so if it doesn't we'll all have some bigger problems.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also the entire global economy is built on the conceit that US will always honour its debts, so if it doesn't we'll all have some bigger problems.
Ahh, but that's where Bitcoin comes in :smuggo:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gonna be funny when Generation N+1 decides "the dead plutocrats our idiotic grandparents voted into power ruined everything so fuckit we're rewriting the constitution/laws so the USD no longer exists"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Agronox posted:

Wait, where’s this?

anime was right posted:

wait what mall is this

i want to go watch it fail

we have a ton of great malls already and i dont think our population and income is going up enough to justify it.

east rutherford? it’s that rust-stained looking thing they’re building, still

i don’t think it’ll survive imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

east rutherford? it’s that rust-stained looking thing they’re building, still

i don’t think it’ll survive imo

thats a decent location if it siphons all the paramus and elizabeth ppl

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
possibly, depends if they can get a decent selection of stores. GSP is huge and established though, and they expanded semi-recently to really, really cater to rich fuckers

what really bothers me though is that the mall failed halfway through construction, and then they had to run a whole ad campaign about how we can’t let NY take away all our tax dollars :argh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

possibly, depends if they can get a decent selection of stores. GSP is huge and established though, and they expanded semi-recently to really, really cater to rich fuckers

what really bothers me though is that the mall failed halfway through construction, and then they had to run a whole ad campaign about how we can’t let NY take away all our tax dollars :argh:

i mean i think that location is good for getting manhattan business but bad for getting nj business.

gsp owns because it has a shake shack and a gigantic uniqlo. it also has the worst ikea ive ever been to tho (well, right outside gsp anyway)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

White Rock posted:

So I've been trying to find what the biggest bubble right now is. For a short list we got the: Tech/App bubble, Bitcoin (natch), Real Estate bubble (Canada, Australia, Sweden, ????) , OP mentions Student Debt securities...

What else? Are these things big enough on their own to collapse the global economy? Like right now i do not see anything close as bad as the subprime loan/CDO mess that the 2008 wrought.

those things are pretty much the only things holding up an economy that never really recovered from 2008 (or even from 2000)

our economy is running largely on fantasy, bubbles, and irrational exuberance. as soon as something disrupts that unjustified optimism, investment will stop dead and the whole house of cards will come crashing down as a domino effect ripples through the entire economy tearing everything else down. and then the government will pour cash into investors' pockets for a couple years, then the investors will find a new bubble and the cycle will start all over again

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

as soon as something disrupts that unjustified optimism, investment will stop dead and the whole house of cards will come crashing down as a domino effect ripples through the entire economy tearing everything else down.
:munch: :neckbeard: :twisted: :thermidor: :jackbud: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

it's so goddamn frustrating, there are plenty of real problems and needs that require funding and there's tons of idle money just sloshing around looking for a home but since productive and necessary investments don't spit cash out in return like a loaded slot machine greedy assholes would rather play keep-away with it instead

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

aw yeah that's the good stuff

quote:

America is behaving like a doomed and desperate convicted felon, holed up smoking as much crack as possible before we have to report to jail. Tons of post-recession free money from central banks, eight years of steadily rising asset prices, the eerie absence of volatility, and the post-election conviction that Donald Trump’s band of goons would—if nothing else—cut taxes on corporations have all combined to fuel a manic investment wave that have made stocks and bonds and real estate and every other asset everywhere expensive as hell. Bitcoin is a classic bubble. Housing prices are insane. And Republicans, who have proven too incompetent to accomplish almost anything, look like they will be able to successfully pass a tax bill that funnels more money to corporations and their investors, who decidedly do not need it. But who will be happy to take it, even if they know that exploding the deficit to give already rich people more money, during a time of essentially full employment, is the opposite of long-term financial probity. They also know that our president is a dumb, incompetent loon. (Wall Street, though it may be evil, benefits by seeing political situations with a ruthless clarity.) It is this situation of clear short term opportunity combined with infinite geopolitical and economic dark clouds looming that has fueled our manic economic boom. Get it while the getting is good, for tomorrow you may be dead!

quote:

Anyhow here’s my loving prediction: In 2018, something will give. Maybe it will be a fight with North Korea. Maybe it will be a major terrorist attack in the US. Maybe it will be war in the Middle East. Maybe it will be a political scandal so devastating that it undermines public faith in our system. But it will be something. It is stupid to wager that another entire year of Donald Trump, president of the United States, will not result in a catastrophe that rises to the level of tipping point. It’s a bad bet. The stage is set for disaster. And when it happens, everyone will want to take their money and run at the same time. And then we’ll be in the dark time.

quote:

We can only hope that this time, when the hard times come, everyone doesn’t spend too much time moping about it. The pitchforks and Molotov cocktails have been sitting out in the shed since 2009. And all the real rich people are much richer than ever.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Advertising on the internet has got to be seriously overvalued. It's shady as hell, and the biggest, most "reputable" sites have scammers and clickbait advertising on them. Adblock is just going to get more popular and eventually people will start realizing their ads are barely reaching anyone

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MrWilderheap posted:

Advertising on the internet has got to be seriously overvalued. It's shady as hell, and the biggest, most "reputable" sites have scammers and clickbait advertising on them. Adblock is just going to get more popular and eventually people will start realizing their ads are barely reaching anyone
oh it's in total collapse mode

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MrWilderheap posted:

It's profitable for Google and Facebook but they take all the money through monopoly rents leaving nothing for the people who actually produce the content that go on their platforms

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think someon eyesterday itt linked to a good article in online ads in the atlantic or something

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

MrWilderheap posted:

I think what is more likely is a bunch of companies which are trying to get customers will go under drying up the advertising dollars. There is too much of a collective myth around advertising for this to be realized otherwise.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Thats a good article

Can you feel it? A depression greater than we could have imagined, a military and police force in america stronger than ever before, nuclear weapons armed and ready, drones capable of blowing up weddings from across the world and more handguns and assault rifles than people...

DOOM is in the air, this Christmas don't buy gifts for loved ones buy them caskets scrawled with the words "LOL"

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

NNick posted:

I think what is more likely is a bunch of companies which are trying to get customers will go under drying up the advertising dollars. There is too much of a collective myth around advertising for this to be realized otherwise.

That's true, I can't even count how many times I've heard "Well you're talking about it so that means it worked :smug:" when someone mentions an ad they hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

MrWilderheap posted:

Make this with a raspberry pi and never worry about ads again.