Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

If the Dems are at 50 with a GOP person not seated they can jam all the committees on day 1 and there's not much the GOP can do about it as there's no tiebreaking procedure (as far as I know)

There isn't, and that's another possible outcome of a 50-49 start, yeah. No matter how this ends up (well, aside from a narrow Dem control which is unlikely), though, the immediate future for the Dems is flipping literally one or two vulnerable Republicans in each chamber to pass a few key popular policy goals, such as nonpartisan redistricting and medicaid expansion, so a power sharing arrangement could be a useful tool in the arsenal for making that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

State government is always fascinating to me since there's always a bunch of weird quirks that don't fly at the federal level. How does VA not have a tie breaking procedure in the lower house?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

State government is always fascinating to me since there's always a bunch of weird quirks that don't fly at the federal level. How does VA not have a tie breaking procedure in the lower house?

You know, I'm genuinely not sure. The size of the House of Delegates was set at between 80 and 100 members in the Constitution of 1902 (the real lovely one that formalized all of the disenfranchisement of black voters that had grown up since Reconstruction, and did away with the quite-progressive Constitution of 1864 without public ratification), but in practice has always been 100 members since no Delegate is gonna vote themselves out of a seat come redistricting time. Before that, the 1864 Constitution set it at between 80 and 104 members, and I'm pretty sure it was 104 members for the same reason. Before that, the 1830 Constitution said 136 members, and before that it was two per county and one per city (so in 1776 just Williamsburg and Norfolk but shortly thereafter Richmond got one too). So I'm not 100% positive since none of this poo poo is well documented but I think the last time the House of Delegates had an odd number of members was before the ratification of the 1830 Constitution and possibly well before that. And yet in all of that time it's not come up except briefly from 1996 to 1998, and maybe now. So I guess it just was never fixed because it's rarely been an issue!

Fun fact-- several other states have tie-able houses without tiebreakers, and some have tie-able houses where there's laws determining what happens. Several require the presiding officers to be of the same party as the governor in those cases. Here's a quick read!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I am not in Michigan, but I wish I could vote for Dana Nessel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQL37wcgI6k

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I am in Michigan, and that was a strong opening argument lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hell fuckin' yeah I'm sending her some $.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Arlington County's Board has submitted its proposals to the General Assembly for what legislation they'd like considered this term. Key items are dedicated funding for Metro (the DC area subway/bus system), the ability for localities to rename local roads (allowing Arlington to rename all roads named after Confederates), no excuse absentee voting and environmental/solar power regulations/incentives.

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/12/01/metro-renaming-jefferson-davis-hwy-among-priorities-in-2018-general-assembly-session/#more-189623

ARLNow posted:

Metro, Renaming Jefferson Davis Hwy Among Priorities in 2018 General Assembly Session

(Updated at 9:55 a.m.) Arlington’s representatives will push hard in the Virginia General Assembly on Metro funding, the authority to rename Jefferson Davis Highway and absentee voting, among other issues.

At a work session Thursday, Arlington County Board members discussed their legislative agenda — bills they would like to see passed and issues they would like to see emphasized — for the 2018 session with local Delegates and state Senators.

The General Assembly will convene in Richmond on January 10 and sit through March 10, with Gov.-Elect Ralph Northam (D) to be inaugurated on January 13.

High on Board members’ list of priorities is securing a dedicated funding source for Metro, and ensuring that state funding allows it to keep up with its rebuilding needs.

Outgoing Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) has committed to adding a dedicated funding source in his budget proposal later this month, and local representatives said they must do more to show their colleagues from outside Northern Virginia how valuable Metro is to the whole Commonwealth’s economy.

“A lot of work has been done to show this is not just a Northern Virginia giveaway, that this gives a lot of money and benefits to the rest of the commonwealth,” said County Board member Christian Dorsey.

Later, Dorsey noted that a study by the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission made a “conservative estimate” that Metro brings in $600 million to state coffers every year through income and sales taxes.

All agreed on a plan to bring legislators into Northern Virginia and have them take a tour of the region’s various transit options, as well as experience rush-hour traffic congestion, something that state Sen. Adam Ebbin (D-30) said has been effective in the past.

State Sen. Barbara Favola (D-31) urged cooperation between business and governmental groups in lobbying Richmond.

“We really need a united voice on this,” Favola said. “We can’t afford to have the Northern Virginia Chamber in opposition to a strategy you may like.”

Favola said she will file a bill to give localities the power to rename their primary highways, of which Jefferson Davis Highway is one in Arlington.

The question of whether to change the name of Jefferson Davis Highway has swirled for several years, and Board chair Jay Fisette said the county is “exploring all options” on renaming.

Del. Mark Levine (D-45) disagreed with Favola, and said that in his opinion localities already have the right to rename primary highways. Fisette emphasized that no stone shall be left unturned.

“At this point, we believe we have multiple options, we’re just going to work them sequentially to do that,” he said.

The question of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway remains controversial. At the Board’s public hearing on its legislative agenda on Tuesday, local resident Bernard Berne derided a name-change as a “bad idea” that will stoke racial tensions and create division.

“It divides the community, and these historical things are part of our heritage. You don’t mess with it,” he said.

Another item on Arlington’s legislative agenda is a desire to enact “no excuse” absentee voting, meaning that any voter can request an absentee ballot without having to give a reason for voting absentee.

Dorsey said with a young and transient population in the county, “no excuse” absentee voting would be helpful. Del. Rip Sullivan (D-48) agreed, and said that after significant Democratic gains in the House of Delegates, this year might be right to get it done.

“I think this is the year for absentee no-excuse voting. I absolutely think we can get there,” he said, adding that it could make elections less vulnerable to hacking. “There are other arguments that frankly we haven’t tried yet, that can carry the day.”

Ebbin expressed cautious support for the plan, but said that funding must be found to reimburse local registrars to cope with extra demand.

And on environmental issues, there appeared to be broad consensus that the General Assembly can pass measures limiting greenhouse gases, encouraging solar power and preserving trees, among others.

Del. Alfonso Lopez (D-49), co-chair of the bipartisan Virginia Environment & Renewable Energy Caucus alongside Sullivan, said “everything is on the table” on energy and the environment. He added that Arlington’s agenda on those issues is one of the best he has seen.

“You guys have hit a lot of very strong things,” he said.

Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act remains a hot topic for Democrats in Richmond, albeit a controversial one that has been unsuccessful both through the General Assembly and executive action.

But this year, Levine said Democrats “are cautiously optimistic for the first time in a long time,” on Medicaid expansion, which he called their “single greatest priority.” Northam said later that day he is hopeful of passing the expansion.

“It’s incredibly important that we get this done, finally,” Lopez said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How is the Metro funded now if it doesn’t have dedicated funding? The first time I heard that I thought it was insane.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

How is the Metro funded now if it doesn’t have dedicated funding? The first time I heard that I thought it was insane.

57% from fares and fees, the rest from federal grants and annual appropriations from localities and the states. The problem with those is they need to be re upped every year, while a dedicated funding source would be its own tax that would always go to WMATA.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

57% from fares and fees, the rest from federal grants and annual appropriations from localities and the states. The problem with those is they need to be re upped every year, while a dedicated funding source would be its own tax that would always go to WMATA.

Yep. This is why WMATA can't ever fix anything because to do something like say, replace all the faulty signals that caused a train to derail and got people killed in 2009, you need a lot of money. If that money isn't guaranteed you can't appropriate the funds for the fix since all the money might not be there. It's why it's 8 years later and we still don't have automatic train control back.

Guaranteeing the money would let them plan things out more than a year in the future and hopefully stop them lurching from maintenance crisis to maintenance crisis.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

axeil posted:

Yep. This is why WMATA can't ever fix anything because to do something like say, replace all the faulty signals that caused a train to derail and got people killed in 2009, you need a lot of money.

the new gimmick is setting accumulated garbage on fire and then people dying of smoke inhalation

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the new gimmick is setting accumulated garbage on fire and then people dying of smoke inhalation

Reading the report on the fire in L'Enfant Plaza made me so loving angry. I haven't step foot in a WMATA-run system since the fall of 2015. I want it to get better but they're so bad at their job and people are dead because of it.

That said, the dedicated funding would help even if it can't solve the massive issues they have around incompetent management/employees/culture.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Two pieces of VA House of Delegates news

1. The 4 races going to recounts will start on December 13

http://www.nbc29.com/story/37013716/judges-set-recount-in-northern-virginia-race-for-dec-13

2. Democrats are attempting to get a new election for the Fredericksburg race with the wrong ballots

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...7f9cdd9b2d.html

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Discovered: the keyhole to VA Dems’ spine. Let’s go to war

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

Two pieces of VA House of Delegates news

1. The 4 races going to recounts will start on December 13

http://www.nbc29.com/story/37013716/judges-set-recount-in-northern-virginia-race-for-dec-13

2. Democrats are attempting to get a new election for the Fredericksburg race with the wrong ballots

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...7f9cdd9b2d.html

Reminder that the General Assembly sits at noon on January 10th. Whatever the partisan makeup is at that moment will likely determine who gets to be Speaker of the House of Delegates. There's a potential universe where the Newport News district that has the GOP guy up 10 votes flips in recount and the Fredericksburg election gets stalled in court until then, whereupon we'd have a 50-49 House of Delegates. A Democratic Speaker would be selected, and the avenue would be open for the House to mandate a new special election in Fredericksburg regardless of what the court says, because the House has the authority to adjudicate the elections of its members. It'd be unprecedented partisan hardball, but hell, we're through the looking glass already.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Quorum posted:

It'd be unprecedented partisan hardball, but hell, we're through the looking glass already.

Alabama is a hairs' breadth away from electing a slavery apologist (if not pro-slavery), homophobic, misogynist, child molester. And the most charitable reason is for pure partisanship. gently caress 'em.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OAquinas posted:

Alabama is a hairs' breadth away from electing a slavery apologist (if not pro-slavery), homophobic, misogynist, child molester. And the most charitable reason is for pure partisanship. gently caress 'em.

i mean, it's alabama, they've got a long history of electing that

really we should be surprised that suddenly it's not a net plus

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
♪ Sweet hole Alabama ♫

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Today in "The 2017 VA House of Delegates Recount Saga":

quote:

December 8, 11:00 AM ET: Democrats ask for new election in District 28 race. On December 7, the Washington Post reported that Democrats had filed an amended complaint in their lawsuit challenging the election results of the District 28 race. Robert Thomas Jr. (R) currently holds an 82-vote lead over Joshua Cole (D), who requested a recount on December 4. The amended complaint requested that a federal judge decertify the election results, block Thomas from being seated in the House of Delegates, and order a new election. The Virginia Department of Elections found on November 27 that 147 votes from precincts in Fredericksburg and Stafford County were cast in the wrong elections, possibly impacting the result of the District 28 race. Democrats originally filed suit seeking to block the certification of the District 28 results on November 21. A judge denied their request to block the certification, but he did allow the lawsuit to move forward

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_elections,_2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

Today in "The 2017 VA House of Delegates Recount Saga":

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_elections,_2017

God this one is a total clusterfuck. Having attempted to help a university friend register to vote while we both went to school in Fredericksburg, I can attest that the registrar at the time was awful-- she tried to tell my friend he couldn't register in the place he attended college full time, which is wrong, full stop. She's the one responsible for incorrectly distributing the voters and causing this mess. (Of course, her error wouldn't have happened if the GOP hadn't created a ludicrous district map that cut city streets in half...)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

God this one is a total clusterfuck. Having attempted to help a university friend register to vote while we both went to school in Fredericksburg, I can attest that the registrar at the time was awful-- she tried to tell my friend he couldn't register in the place he attended college full time, which is wrong, full stop. She's the one responsible for incorrectly distributing the voters and causing this mess. (Of course, her error wouldn't have happened if the GOP hadn't created a ludicrous district map that cut city streets in half...)

The interesting bit is they want to decertify the election and not seat anyone. The judge didn't agree to that but the lawsuit is moving forward.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

The interesting bit is they want to decertify the election and not seat anyone. The judge didn't agree to that but the lawsuit is moving forward.

Honestly, if it gets to the point that the judge orders a new election, that's probably the correct ruling. If the election was tainted enough to do it over again, it was tainted enough that its initial winner shouldn't be seated.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Honestly, if it gets to the point that the judge orders a new election, that's probably the correct ruling. If the election was tainted enough to do it over again, it was tainted enough that its initial winner shouldn't be seated.

And then we can get the chaos scenario where the Dems have 50 seats and the GOP have 49 and they say "gently caress you" and pack all the committees.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quorum posted:

My favorite part was that interview with her daughter (because she's dead now) where the woman was like "I think my mom is just a convenient scapegoat" and all the sentences that aren't quotes from her sound like "nobody knows why these voters were just randomly redistricted, it makes no sense".

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/status/940590118993141761

https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/status/940590972114579457

https://twitter.com/ckmarie/status/940591264969445376

Let's get this thread up and running again for today!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Is anyone posting live turnout numbers like in VA?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

axeil posted:

Is anyone posting live turnout numbers like in VA?

If I find them I'll post it.

https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/status/940591967980830726

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I'll go ahead and post this.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/alabama-senate-closing-time/

Which provides a county level breakdown of voting in Alabama and where Democratic votes are/How well Jones has to perform there.

Basic TL:DR, run up the vote across the black belt, win bigger in Huntsville (Madison County) , Birmingham (Jefferson County), and Mobile (Mobile County) while keeping margins low across the rest of the state.

I'll include this from the end.

quote:

As the deep blue tint across the Black Belt in Map 5 shows, Jones will also need solid turnout among African-American voters to have any chance of winning. If black voters make up about 25% of the electorate and Jones wins at least 90% of them, that would mean that Jones would probably have to win at least one-third of the white vote to have a chance of winning, assuming a small portion of the white vote goes for a write-in choice and accounting for a small percentage of other nonwhite voters who are Democratic-leaning. The most recent available exit poll in Alabama is from 2012, which found that Barack Obama won just 15% of the white vote. In 2008, the exit poll found Obama just won 10%, and in 2004, it found John Kerry won about 20%. Even when accounting for the potential error in such findings, it’s clear that it’s been a while since a Democrat won anywhere near one-third of the white vote in Alabama.

farraday fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 12, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZacMcCrary/status/940576604232847361

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hell yeah. At the end of the day either chaos will reign or the very stronghold of the Deep South will break before the blue wave. Strap in and :getin:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/BradMGM/status/940597520861888512

https://twitter.com/hookjan/status/940598543798165505

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

farraday posted:

I'll go ahead and post this.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/alabama-senate-closing-time/

Which provides a county level breakdown of voting in Alabama and where Democratic votes are/How well Jones has to perform there.

Basic TL:DR, run up the vote across the black belt, win bigger in Huntsville (Madison County) , Birmingham (Jefferson County), and Mobile (Mobile County) while keeping margins low across the rest of the state.

I'll include this from the end.

Well, Barack Obama and John Kerry didn't run against pedophiles. That might account for a few more percent swing in Jones' favor, not to mention that hatred of Trump will probably get a lot of people out to vote that don't normally vote.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/940600723129208835

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/940601175736451072

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

http://www.hubdialer.com/agent/?fill=1&campaign_id=011224&pass_code=121217

If anyone wants to gotv here's a link to make some calls.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 12, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Well, Barack Obama and John Kerry didn't run against pedophiles. That might account for a few more percent swing in Jones' favor, not to mention that hatred of Trump will probably get a lot of people out to vote that don't normally vote.

It's important to know the hill you have to climb though. An actual competitive race could bring in people who usually convince themselves their vote doesn't matter.

Turn out projections to use as a baseline.

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/940604419535753217

Early in the thread he mentions the Alabama SoS estimate of 25% would be about 830k votes.

IF you do get estimates of turn out though remember to compare them against the county chart. A higher than expected turnout is only a good sign for Jones if it is from a higher than average Democratic turnout. While there will definitely be Republican's who will vote for Jones they won't really be identifiable from turnout patterns.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
How is the weather looking today? Anything to be worried about?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

How is the weather looking today? Anything to be worried about?

Mid 40s top of the state down to mid 50s on the coast. Expect freezing temperatures in the evening hours into overnight, no rain expected.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Guys I guess it doesn't matter

https://twitter.com/SasbenJr/status/940609679494967296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus Christ, if he wins, it better not be by 4 points.

• Locked thread