Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Another vote for the Pleson. Works flawlessly in either direction. Stand is perfect for desk use with Face ID as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

wandler20 posted:

My wife is getting the X for Christmas and I wanted to get her a wireless charger. What's the goon recommended product? Also, do they make an all in one that charges the Apple Watch and phone wirelessly at the same time?

I checked the OP (outdated) and went back a few pages but didn't see anything so any help would be appreciated.

I have the standing samsung fast charger, got it for $23 from amazon warehouse deals and it's great. Faceid works and people can hear me if I use the phone on speaker. Charges through my apple leather case fine.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Has anyone used any of the IMEI unlocking services? I've got an iphone 6 locked to Virgin Mobile (US), and I moved out of the country without getting it unlocked. Virgin won't / can't unlock it unless I'm back in the States, and the only unlocking site that anyone I know has had any personal experience with (doctor sim) says that IMEI isn't available for Virgin. I bought one of those little chips that goes between your phone and the sim card as well, but that didn't work. Trying a blind google search for an unlock is a nightmare of scams and wildly varying prices (like, one place wanted $120 and another wanted $10) so I have no idea who to trust.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I didn't see any that looked promising.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Anker one that was for sale is discontinued. They’re making a new sleeker one with one LED light on it. It’s on Amazon already but I just can’t be assed to find the link. It should be available on the 4th.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Endless Mike posted:

There's nothing* that will also charge an Apple Watch as Apple has DRMed their charging. Which is a bummer. I'd certainly like such a thing.

*Currently. The Apple AirPower mat will do it, but it's not out until next year and is rumored to be very expensive.

Err what? Obviously not for the phones since they seem to work with literally any QI Charger. What about the future air pods? Not sure why it’s taking forever for Apple to get the mat out. That would have been a day one buy for many.

Anyways I was planning on getting the airpods when they come with a wireless charging case, was hoping I could just throw them on the same charger

Dogen posted:

I have the standing samsung fast charger, got it for $23 from amazon warehouse deals and it's great. Faceid works and people can hear me if I use the phone on speaker. Charges through my apple leather case fine.

Yeah tbh I cannot think why you’d want flat over standing. I guess if you don’t want people creeping your notifications? Slimmer look in general, on furniture? I’ve been using the Samsung standing one for a while and it’s great. Point is get standing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah tbh I cannot think why you’d want flat over standing. I guess if you don’t want people creeping your notifications? Slimmer look in general, on furniture? I’ve been using the Samsung standing one for a while and it’s great. Point is get standing.

My wife has a flat one on her nightstand and I think that's good because it's easier to flop it on there when she's done looking at her phone than figuring out how to put it on a stand. Other than that no idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Err what? Obviously not for the phones since they seem to work with literally any QI Charger. What about the future air pods? Not sure why it’s taking forever for Apple to get the mat out. That would have been a day one buy for many.

Anyways I was planning on getting the airpods when they come with a wireless charging case, was hoping I could just throw them on the same charger

Sorry I was unclear. I thought Apple Watches required an Apple charger, but it seems Series 3 ones work with *some* non-Apple Qi chargers, but it's a crapshoot. Series 0-2 will only work with Apple (or Apple-approved, I suppose) chargers. Apple hasn't said one way or the other about the AirPod cases, but since they're supposedly coming out next month and the AirPower mat isn't until next year, I have to assume it will work on generic Qi chargers.

You are correct that iPhones work on generic Qi chargers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe it’s user error but I swear since getting an X the ‘tap 1x to make 2x zoom’ while recording is gone or wonky as poo poo. 99% if the time if I tap it it activates the radial slider. It used to be if I was recording, I could tap it for a quick 2x zoom.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The anker flat charger works with iPhone X through the leather apple case with a car magnet mount adapter between the case and phone. It rules.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mine always eventually shot back the error light on an iphone 8. I could probably gently caress with the positioning a bit to find a sweet spot but yeah. Good bye magnetic mount :(

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My iPhone 7 has decided that 60% off the time it will just refuse to use my car audio for phone calls. Just sits there for a sec and then puts it back to the phone audio. Randomly works or doesn't.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
If I take my iPhone 6 into an Apple store, will they be able to reset it for me?

It currently has a security/restriction passcode that I don’t remember setting at all, and after 22 failed attempts I have no clue what it is.

Or is there another way to find out/get around that code?

I need to erase the phone so I can send it back to Sprint after upgrading.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

If I take my iPhone 6 into an Apple store, will they be able to reset it for me?

It currently has a security/restriction passcode that I don’t remember setting at all, and after 22 failed attempts I have no clue what it is.

Or is there another way to find out/get around that code?

I need to erase the phone so I can send it back to Sprint after upgrading.

if you can prove to them you own it, probably.

edit : this is for activation lock. if it's just locked with a password or pin you can't remember, you can probably just put it in DFU mode and plug it into iTunes to wipe it.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 30, 2017

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

if you can prove to them you own it, probably.

edit : this is for activation lock. if it's just locked with a password or pin you can't remember, you can probably just put it in DFU mode and plug it into iTunes to wipe it.

It’s under restrictions setting in General. When I try to erase all settings/data it pops my normal passcode up first. Then after putting that in, it pops up this code which I have no clue.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

It’s under restrictions setting in General. When I try to erase all settings/data it pops my normal passcode up first. Then after putting that in, it pops up this code which I have no clue.

just put it in DFU mode and plug it into iTunes to wipe it.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

just put it in DFU mode and plug it into iTunes to wipe it.

Thanks that worked. Much easier than dragging myself to an Apple store :)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I think I've asked this before, but is there any way to completely disable recents in the message app? I'll type in a friend's name and then have to scroll through a long list of group chats that the same friend is in. I know I can just pick a chat and delete names, but I'd rather just turn it off if possible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to more quickly kill an app on the X? I swipe up and hold (or go sideways) to get the cards for each app, but then it appears I have to tap and hold on an app to get the close boxes to come up, then close the app. I can't figure out how to flick them closed like before. Am I just flicking it wrong?

PS The X is fantastic. It took me all of a minute to get used to there not being a home button. Face ID is the future.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, you're doing it right more or less. You can also swipe them away when the X appears.

But you probably shouldn't be doing it so much that it matters.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, you're doing it right more or less. You can also swipe them away when the X appears.

But you probably shouldn't be doing it so much that it matters.

Yeah I'm not janitoring my phone, just killing apps when they misbehave. Generally the awful app, actually.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'll have a look, thanks. I'm pretty new to the whole audiobook thing but the new job I have involves a lot of watching stuff without sound so I generally just throw music/podcasts/audiobooks on in the background.

Also if you weren’t aware, there is an audiobook thread where Audible often comes up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I'm not janitoring my phone, just killing apps when they misbehave. Generally the awful app, actually.

I just resorted to visiting These Great Forums via Safari some time ago. I was having regular issues with Awful app, too.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Has anyone used any of the IMEI unlocking services? I've got an iphone 6 locked to Virgin Mobile (US), and I moved out of the country without getting it unlocked. Virgin won't / can't unlock it unless I'm back in the States, and the only unlocking site that anyone I know has had any personal experience with (doctor sim) says that IMEI isn't available for Virgin. I bought one of those little chips that goes between your phone and the sim card as well, but that didn't work. Trying a blind google search for an unlock is a nightmare of scams and wildly varying prices (like, one place wanted $120 and another wanted $10) so I have no idea who to trust.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I didn't see any that looked promising.

I did and I believe I used unlockcode247.com to unlock my Sprint 7

Takes a few days since you're basically paying a bribe to someone to unlock at a carrier center somewhere but it worked.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Audiobook guy, just turn your drm free audiobooks into podcasts and use a decent podcast app like overcast or whatever.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

On my 7+ my awful app was crashing or locking dozens of times a day. On the x, it works pretty much flawlessly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I exchanged my AirPods due to the first pair blipping every five minutes or so (one AirPod would cut out for a split second and reconnect,) but the new ones are doing the same exact thing. I can set my phone down directly in front of me and hold still with the spirit of a Buddhist monk and wait for it. Range is pretty great, but no amount of reducing interference sources prevents it from happening. Is this just the nature of the beast with any Bluetooth headphones? These must be a pretty new batch, as they came with firmware 3.7.2.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is there possibly an issue with BT on your phone? Do they do it with other devices? Is there possibly some massive signal source causing interference near you?

I can't really say anything other than "mine don't do that" and 2.4GHz here is more polluted than India's lakes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

enojy posted:

I exchanged my AirPods due to the first pair blipping every five minutes or so (one AirPod would cut out for a split second and reconnect,) but the new ones are doing the same exact thing. I can set my phone down directly in front of me and hold still with the spirit of a Buddhist monk and wait for it. Range is pretty great, but no amount of reducing interference sources prevents it from happening. Is this just the nature of the beast with any Bluetooth headphones? These must be a pretty new batch, as they came with firmware 3.7.2.

No problems like that with my $20 ankers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

enojy posted:

My QC35s are rock solid but im having connection issues with my AirPods too. Something is up and I just got mine swapped out yesterday. It takes a long as poo poo time to pair them too which is annoying.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

Is there possibly an issue with BT on your phone? Do they do it with other devices? Is there possibly some massive signal source causing interference near you?

I can't really say anything other than "mine don't do that" and 2.4GHz here is more polluted than India's lakes.

Nah, no big sources of interference outside of living in an apartment -- I even disabled my own router's 2.4GHz wifi radio just to troubleshoot (to no success.) The previous pair had the symptoms at my mom's house over Thanksgiving, and she lives in the sticks with nearly no wireless devices.

I do wonder if it's the phone (launch day iPhone X.) I've been listening to music via my MacBook for the past 20 minutes and they haven't cut out a single time. Seems to only happen on the phone, so far... and I've already exhausted all possible fixes on that front. Fuckin' hate exchanging phones, but I think it may be in the cards. AirPods are too drat convenient to straight up return for a refund. Also admittedly a lil' tinfoil hat paranoid about exchanging my otherwise pretty solid iPhone X with all the random issues I've read about (dust in the camera lens, faulty seals along the screen assembly, uneven displays.)

Edit: yeah it's totally the phone hardware/software... Not a single blip in an hour of playback on my MacBook. Gonna hopefully do a swap on Saturday.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 30, 2017

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So last night 3D Touch just stopped working on my X suddenly. Checked 3D Touch settings, rebooted, still nothing. What the gently caress. Any ideas? I use 3D Touch A LOT, so it's severely annoying.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Y'all making me paranoid about my launch day X

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Pivo posted:

Y'all making me paranoid about my launch day X

Eh, if it's hosed up Apple will replace it. They've replaced approximately 300 products for me for varying degrees of hosed-up-ness. Still annoying tho.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You know the iPhone X has finally made it when the Lotto app gets updated for X resolution:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lotto-results-mega-millions-powerball-lottery/id386505750?mt=8

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Nah, no big sources of interference outside of living in an apartment -- I even disabled my own router's 2.4GHz wifi radio just to troubleshoot (to no success.) The previous pair had the symptoms at my mom's house over Thanksgiving, and she lives in the sticks with nearly no wireless devices.

I do wonder if it's the phone (launch day iPhone X.) I've been listening to music via my MacBook for the past 20 minutes and they haven't cut out a single time. Seems to only happen on the phone, so far... and I've already exhausted all possible fixes on that front. Fuckin' hate exchanging phones, but I think it may be in the cards. AirPods are too drat convenient to straight up return for a refund. Also admittedly a lil' tinfoil hat paranoid about exchanging my otherwise pretty solid iPhone X with all the random issues I've read about (dust in the camera lens, faulty seals along the screen assembly, uneven displays.)

Edit: yeah it's totally the phone hardware/software... Not a single blip in an hour of playback on my MacBook. Gonna hopefully do a swap on Saturday.

I'd try an encrypted itunes backup/restore first if I were you. And a backup "set up as new" if that doesn't work.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks for the suggestion. I did already try that. I even installed the non-delta iOS update via iTunes and avoided a restore just to rule any sort of leftover backup fuckery out! Still blippin' and bloppin'.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I’ve got a launch day X and my AirPods from ~Feb are flawless on that and on the 7+ they were on previously.

Like, if I really think hard about something that hasn’t worked 100% flawlessly was once i took both AirPods out of the case and one took 10 seconds to link up but the other one was the usual half a second.

Have no idea what your problems could be from, pretty weird.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Binary Badger posted:

You know the iPhone X has finally made it when the Lotto app gets updated for X resolution:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lotto-results-mega-millions-powerball-lottery/id386505750?mt=8

Speaking of updating, when is Google gonna take advantage with their Maps?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Speaking of updating, when is Google gonna take advantage with their Maps?
It was updated earlier today.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/30/google-maps-iphone-x-support/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
And there it is! Thanks!