Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna be the jerk that tells you guys it actually is a rickroll, sorry if you genuinely believed that a man ate his own testicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s better this way

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

i'm gonna be the jerk that tells you guys it actually is a rickroll, sorry if you genuinely believed that a man ate his own testicle

I'm glad nobody ate their balls over Bitcoins :patriot:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When you think about it, his balls are useless and something he no longer has access to. Much like investing in bitcoin.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

When you think about it, his balls are useless and something he no longer has access to. Much like investing in bitcoin.
Except that none of my weed dealers accept testicles as currency, and two of them accept btc (seriously) with 1 confirmation. Generally we'll chill and smoke till it happens.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

just a weird tip for all you renegades making ballsy bets out there

heh, nice

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Can you use steam codes to get your money out of bitcoin like the Russian mob?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

If bitcoins hits $100,000 before 2020 I’ll kill God

:toxx:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sure. That’ll be one hell of a ban reason on my permanent record.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sure. That’ll be one hell of a ban reason on my permanent record.

Ban reason: [picture of wiped party at final battle from any Final Fantasy game]

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok I’m sold how do we make this happen?

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Manic Technophile fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 1, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Someone remake that chart but stick on each time that 15M tethers appear out of nowhere

As the ideas guy I'll only lay claim to 50% of the laughs

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that bitcoin chart is more professional than bitcoin itself

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
realistically speaking when do you guys think this bubble will burst?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pitdragon posted:

Whenever bitfinex can no longer honor bitcoin withdrawals

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Whenever bitfinex can no longer honor bitcoin withdrawals

It's possible that time is very close, because they have been closing short margin positions at $14k and long margin positions at $5,600 when the price hasn't moved from $9k.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pitdragon posted:

AD 2900

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That video was on liveleak first but they took it down. I didn't know liveleak would even take videos down.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ok I’m sold how do we make this happen?

give me all your money and I will buy bitcoin for you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pitdragon posted:

its not tied to a region or nation or tangible asset so i would be looking at market cap and trade volume derivatives trying to gauge the rate of greater fools buying in/the rate of older money cashing out on a day-to-day basis

bitcoin can ignore all other conventional market rational

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think when people realize bitcoin isn't going to be the currency of the future we'll see the crash

Currently, if you talk to a random (even smart) person on the street 100% of the value they place in bitcoin is either attributed to the fact that it is "the future" OR "there is limited supply".

I have seen no evidence that bitcoin is going to ever be used as a real form of currency, you can technically buy poo poo on steam with it, but it's way too speculative at the moment to ever be useful. More importantly there is no inherent advantage of using bitcoin over fiat currency, in fact there are a lot of disadvantages, as such the actual adoption will be extremely low until it eventually vanishes.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

abigserve posted:

I think when people realize bitcoin isn't going to be the currency of the future we'll see the crash
none of the people buying in now are doing so to use it as a form of currency so they probably wont notice if/when it continues to not be used as a form of currency. its a timeline with no landmarks for them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

gary oldmans diary posted:

none of the people buying in now are doing so to use it as a form of currency so they probably wont notice when it continues to not be used as a form of currency. its a timeline with no landmarks

possibly. turns out the only market in history that never crashes isn't based on anything at all

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Lol anyone buying Bitcoin knows it is just an investor feedback loop. Also it is fun to watch gdax and see orders of 5 Bitcoin being bought and sold.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Im pretty sure that bitcoin is worth as much as the entire US. There is no way that this is a bubble

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Manic Technophile posted:

Except that none of my weed dealers accept testicles as currency, and two of them accept btc (seriously) with 1 confirmation. Generally we'll chill and smoke till it happens.

why wouldn't you just pay cash, bitcoin is traceable lol

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I’ll just be glad when it crashes because the ‘true believers’ tend to infest different groups and won’t shut up about it. I just want to hang out in my numismatic Facebook groups with some grumpy old men and talk about old gold coinage without hearing how bitcoin is the silver of the future from SaintPrepper69.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

but bitcoin with the blockchain that records everything is supposed to be anonymous

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inept posted:

Yeah I'm sure the DEA has top minds tracing through the blockchain for my $40 8th

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gold and silver are some the worst investments/speculations you could have made in the last 40 years. They should only be used as a hedge against economic uncertainty.

In general I tend to agree. Silver had a big pop to $50/oz back in 2011, gold largely trading sideways. Palladium ain't done too bad though. Platinum basically treading water and has been surpassed by palladium to my surprise. Once we move away from catalytic converters, I think the platinum group metals will poo poo the bed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Manic Technophile posted:

Yeah I'm sure the DEA has top minds tracing through the blockchain for my $40 8th

Probably not but the point remains why would you go through the hassle of paying with bitcoin if you're meeting your drug dealer in person

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inept posted:

Probably not but the point remains why would you go through the hassle of paying with bitcoin if you're meeting your drug dealer in person
I don't always have cash on me, but I always have my phone. In fact I can tell you as a former dealer that this is an all too common problem. People are lazy, sometimes it's cold or raining outside. Who wants to go out in that?

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Most people order drugs the same way they order food - they don't plan for it they just do it on impulse in response to a craving.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

abigserve posted:

possibly. turns out the only market in history that never crashes isn't based on anything at all
nah. everyone who buys in becomes someone who is interested in cashing out. so since the group interested in cashing out grows faster and faster so the group of people buying in has to constantly grow faster and faster. if that little fibonacci iterates more frequently than human gestation lasts its eventually going to have to hit a wall
if bitcoin is going to double every month we are going to need our studliest bitcoin men to start procreating at maximum capacity

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

nah. everyone who buys in becomes someone who is interested in cashing out. so since the group interested in cashing out grows faster and faster so the group of people buying in has to constantly grow faster and faster. if that little fibonacci iterates more frequently than human gestation lasts its eventually going to have to hit a wall
if bitcoin is going to double every month we are going to need our studliest bitcoin men to start procreating at maximum capacity

lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I order weed on my phone thru a delivery website and 20 minutes later pay for a mix of edibles and beverages and flower with my credit card into a delivery dudes square plugin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

I order weed on my phone thru a delivery website and 20 minutes later pay for a mix of edibles and beverages and flower with my credit card into a delivery dudes square plugin

buying drugs is the only thing bitcoin is useful for