Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Ben Falk wrote a column the other day about OKC, essentially saying that their defense has been excellent and there's reason to think it will stay good, and their offense has been bad but there's reason to think it will improve. I basically agree with everything he says since he's much smarter than me.

I agree with this, but the hole they are digging is going to be hard to come out of. They aren't in the Eastern Conference, it's not like you can be hot for 15 games and be right back in line for a 1st round home series. OKC getting knocked in the first round would be a massive disappointment this season, and I think OKC will need 50+ wins to not have to face off against GSW/Hou/maybe even Spurs that will pretty much guarantee that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Lockback posted:

I mean, I think Dallas manages to screw up player relationship stuff all the time, but I also won't blame them for wanting to move past a guy who they were unable to negotiate with and who hasn't playing all that well either. If there were refusing to trade him out of spite that'd be one thing, but I don't think there have been any value offers come their way.

I thought I'd read they couldn't trade him for few more weeks, though I haven't bothered verifying that. Annoying situation all around, really.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're assuming that their claims are baseless. I love Nerlens more than anyone on this board, but there is a history here.

Look, he's just doing what he has to get to unrestricted free agency so he can go to the Pelicans and fulfill his destiny.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

or he is you and your cover is blown

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jack's Flow posted:

Russell got his MVP, Sabonis and Oladipo are finally getting to play basketball, and Melo continues to score on a losing team. Everybody wins.

Hell, even Kanter is being called the 2nd best player on a team it's the Knicks but with Zinger out the other night he was the Man

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

leftist heap posted:

Kanter was the secret juice holding OKC together. When you think about he's the real MVP of last year.

I too am a firm believer in locker room glues/cancers, very underrated aspect of building a team IMO

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Philly's success is because they have Amir Johnson, plus minus superstar and notoriously strong locker room glue man.

I miss him a little, but I don't really want to see him on the court. Mostly he's just a good dude.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Away all Goats posted:

I too am a firm believer in locker room glues/cancers, very underrated aspect of building a team IMO

It is difficult to be narcissistic when your teammate probably has a dictator personally targeting him with death squads and assassins.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Maybe they're missing out on Kanter's halal catering.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Melo needs to be Olympic Melo. Find that guy again and you are off in the right direction. Dropping him to the 2nd unit isn't the fix here. He needs to get better shots and let PG and Westbrook find them for him.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nothing is going to make Melo a positive player at this point in his career. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CRISPYBABY posted:

Philly's success is because they have Amir Johnson, plus minus superstar and notoriously strong locker room glue man.

I miss him a little, but I don't really want to see him on the court. Mostly he's just a good dude.

I miss when he would occasionally hit a 3 if given literally 4-5 seconds of preparation time.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If there were only 35 games spread across a season Amir would've been a multi-time all star.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

BWV posted:

If there were only 35 games spread across a season Amir would've been a multi-time all star.

He was such a good dunker when he was young.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

Nothing is going to make Melo a positive player at this point in his career. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Ehhh, looking at lineups I don't think Melo is really hurting OKC right now, in fact he's the 11th highest PF in RPM (which I think is artificially high). I don't think he is necessarily helping them a ton either, but he's been a solid player all-around.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Anyone who says melo is the issue isn't watching the games

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Yeah the issue is Russ

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Metapod posted:

Anyone who says melo is the issue isn't watching the games

He's not the issue, but getting him better shots puts OKC on a better road.

If this was the East I'd say OKC are fine, and will have some growing pains, it's ok. But in the West dropping games early might turn out really ugly.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Player's Association should file a grievance against Noel for needlessly dicking himself out of tens of millions of dollars

Same goes for Kevin Durandal

if you call him kervin durandal he can't namesearch and unleash the flame

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sheriff posted:

I have never seen a team so blatantly punish a player for taking the QO. First they completely removed him from the rotation, and now they’re leaking poo poo like this to further harm his character. Can Nerlens Noel file a grievance with the Player’s Association or something? I guess Dallas isn’t technically doing anything against the rules here, but if every team acted this way it would effectively make the qualifying offer a non-option for almost any player.
The difference is every player taking the qualifying offer doesn't behave like Noel.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Nerlens stuff has a lot of layers to it and its not really that simple. Nerlens had a huge offer from the Mavericks that ostensibly his agent agreed to... at which point Nerlens fired his agent and held out for a max deal. That's not really negotiating in good faith.

and yeah, they have to pay him 4 million dollars this year vs the 17.5 or whatever they originally offered him. That's good for the team.
A good post.

euphronius posted:

He then came into camp looking like he put no effort into the offseason.
Another good post.

Dude is getting out worked in practice by almost every big man on the Mavs including: the Mummy, Maxi Kleber, Dwight Powell, Salah Mejri. Only two big men on the Mavs don't get more minutes than him, injured Josh McRoberts (who is only there because he is an expiring contract) and Jeff Withey.

I wish Noel had worked out but if the franchise is going to choose between Rick Carlisle being happy/giving minutes to developing players who plan on being with the franchise vs Nerlens Noel trying out for another team, it's an easy decision. Can't wait to see how they fail in signing a free agent big this summer.

There are two sides to the Noel/Mavs story but they clearly went into this wanting him to be a long term member of the team. Kind of crazy Parsons will end up having a better tenure with the team than him. The most prominent two times in recent history the Mavs have had issues with a player (Rondo, Odom), the Mavs ended up being correct. Wouldn't shock me if that is the case again.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not even December (Blazers were a few games under .500 at this point last year), and like two west teams just died because their old vets are old vets.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Athanatos posted:

He's not the issue, but getting him better shots puts OKC on a better road.

If this was the East I'd say OKC are fine, and will have some growing pains, it's ok. But in the West dropping games early might turn out really ugly.

Absolutely the team needs to pass the ball and stop taking early shot clock 20 foot jumpers off the dribble

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

He's doubled his block rate, increased his steal rate, and the advanced defensive stats are all improved fairly significantly across the board. By any measurement he has gotten better at defense, though he still has a ways to go. His offense has actually taken a step back, but his role has changed a lot and recently he's been playing better, so I think it'll keep ticking up.

He's also got better defenders to bail him out and he's not forced to guard the best wing anymore. And despite improvement, he still sucks on defense but the good news is I think it's mostly effort. Wiggins doesn't seem to give a poo poo about playing defense which is sad because that team could be awesome if he put in a modicum of effort on that end.

Would you trade Wiggins for McCollum?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Nerlens Noel's flat top ruined his NBA career

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hell, even Kanter is being called the 2nd best player on a team it's the Knicks but with Zinger out the other night he was the Man

I won't lie and say I've watched the knicks more than 1.5 times this year, but I wonder if the success is because Porzingis is the hypothetical big you play next to Kanter who covers all his weaknesses. He protects the rim, but can also defend away from the basket, he shoots threes so that there's space in the lane

Their most used 5 man lineup is Porzingis, Kanter, Tim Haradaway 2, Courtney Lee, and Frankie Ntilikina.

Their pg and sg are long guys who play defense, the team seems tailor made to make Kanter something other than a total liability.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 1, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel should have adapted to the modern PF and may still. He's not really playable at PF in 2017 tho.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/936349162169356289
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/936350435048345600

So, important minority owners of the Grizz are trying to force the main owner to sell his shares and get out or force him to buy out their shares

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The Glumslinger posted:

So, important minority owners of the Grizz are trying to force the main owner to sell his shares and get out or force him to buy out their shares

When it rains, it pours! Boy what a stinker of a season so far. And it started so good...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah the Memphis ownership situation has always been weird and complicated and iirc Pera is kinda hosed contractually.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

LaTisha Satchell, a Warriors fan, is suing her favorite team over the behavior of the team app. Beyond providing updates of team news activities and scores, the lawsuit alleges the app used the microphone on Satchell’s phone to record her private conversations. She was being recorded at all times, even when she wasn’t directly using the app.

The recording behavior of the app was initially intended as a way for the Warriors to sell merchandise and ticket upgrades. It was supposed to track users using audio “beacons” that played through transmitters when the user was in Warriors-owned property, sending back data about where the user was and how long they had been there. So if you were in a higher seat, it could suggest tickets to get closer to the game or, if you were around the gift shop, it would send ads of things you could buy there.

But it went beyond that, the lawsuit alleges. The app expanded that reach to recording users, using the phone’s microphone, and collecting data of their conversations and whereabouts, as long as the app had location and microphone permissions. Those permissions can be changed in the settings of the app, but most people hardly ever even look at what permissions the apps ask for, let alone think to change them.

The Warriors, for their part, deny the allegations:

"While we normally do not comment on pending litigation, the allegations in this lawsuit are purely fanciful and wholly without merit. Our app has never been used to listen to any conversations. Period," the team said in a statement to SB Nation.

Oops!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What's with the TNT NBA night off?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have no idea what will happen to Harden/Paul in the playoffs, though.

If healthy they could take down GSW and get the rings. Their championship hunger levels can't go much higher (in a waning period of the NBA with GSW and CLE tired out and Kawhi questionable).

Tae posted:

It's not even December (Blazers were a few games under .500 at this point last year), and like two west teams just died because their old vets are old vets.

Things have changed from even last year as the season was basically 1/5th over on 11/30/16. Now it's still November and the season is already over 1/4th done. Go back ten years and teams had played even less by this point.

Rick posted:

His one winning season with Kobe was one of D'Antoni's worst, and one of the worst coaching job ever which featured 19 post attempts a game from Dwight Howard and him taking 80% of the season to figure out Pau Gasol was good and trying to bolt an offense onto a team that had no business trying to play it. Kobe having a really great second half of the season, actively running plays from the past with Pau, Dwight being iced out of the offense and finally playing defense, and Nash's last gasp are the only reason that team made the playoffs or was above 500.

It's true that D'Antoni (based on his personnel) has been extremely average overall. The Rockets are successful now because CP3/Harden are two of the all-time greats playing together.

I hope everyone knows that a ton of apps are doing this and that the G-men can do this anytime they like (with cameras too).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chilihead posted:

OK merovingian!. Why is nobody mentioning Daryl Morey casually saying the Warriors would beat the best teams from the 80's and 90's in 5 or 6 games?
Have you heard the soundbite?

Sounds plausible.

It's about the time to make serious playoff predictions. Still in November and already 25% done. Playoff spoilers:
It looks like the Rockets/Warriors are going to win it all. No other team has the right stuff ATM.

We'll see if this holds true. Still a shot for CLE to get serious on D and/or Kawhi to come back like a superhero.
BOS would be the youngest team to ever win a title by some measurements.

RW looking like Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MeadbGQx18

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

He's also got better defenders to bail him out and he's not forced to guard the best wing anymore. And despite improvement, he still sucks on defense but the good news is I think it's mostly effort. Wiggins doesn't seem to give a poo poo about playing defense which is sad because that team could be awesome if he put in a modicum of effort on that end.

Would you trade Wiggins for McCollum?

MCollum is a better player right now, but McCollum is 4 years older and was worse than Wiggins was when he was 22 (and at best a push in his 23yr old season). I think that kind of age spread makes a pretty big difference when comparing 1 guy who is in the middle of his prime and another who hasn't entered it yet.

As far as effort, have you watched many games this year? Wiggins is 18th in the league for miles ran per game and in the top 50 or so of defended shots per game. His results are still not great but he's definitely been improving.

Also, he is not guarding the weaker wing. He actually has been taking the harder assignment in the last 2 games

Here is the Washington game, first defensive possession on Otto Porter, who I think is a harder assignment than Beal since he scores in more ways:

And the next night against the Pelicans he was defending Jrue while Butler had Moore on the first possession:

They do switch a lot, but Wiggin's assignments have not been any easier than Butlers.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/therealmikekb/status/936421631479681024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i regret to inform this thread that the chicago bulls, enemies of all that is light and good in this world, have destroyed Nikola Jokic

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my advice to all nikolas out there: stay the hell away from the bulls

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why has this thread not ever had a serious conversation about the merits of single motion shot vs. dual?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

I like seeing the Boston fans' faces on this angle

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/936423166146203648?s=17

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/nuggets/status/936451642433593344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

In addition to the matador defense on this play, Justin Holiday:

-Fouled a jump shooter on a shot 28 feet from the rim. The Bulls were up three, so the free throws tied the game with 45 seconds left.
-Forced a quick contested three out of a timeout right after that play.
-Fouled again on the next possession, sending Denver to the line to take the lead.

It was a breathtaking final minute of basketball

• Locked thread