Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RBX posted:

I noticed the footage back in the day but not because of quality but because the suits and fights were so much better. I'd get happy when a fight suddenly looked like it was filmed in the 1950s because I knew it would be good. I was also a huge Godzilla fan and I put two and two together.

VR Troopers and Beetleborgs really exasperated the effect. The effort in those shows really went to poo poo at times.

Like this scene was the most obvious one of all time. The little transition between shots is pretty good tho.

https://youtu.be/LAkkVKsyWms

This one has noticeable dips in quality even between the japanese clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATuhxpW4ejQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JT Smiley posted:

Are you guys serious​? Even as an 11 year old with a lovely tv the Sentai edits we're super obvious. The American footage and Japanese footage couldn't possibly clash more, especially by the time season 2 rolls around.
Never really noticed, I was too busy having fun doing karate in the garage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JT Smiley posted:

Are you guys serious​? Even as an 11 year old with a lovely tv the Sentai edits we're super obvious. The American footage and Japanese footage couldn't possibly clash more, especially by the time season 2 rolls around.

Exactly, some footage with giant Goldar loving with the city looked ancient on first airing, and the Dragonzord's repeatedly-used debut was a loving Godzilla attack.

While I dug the locally-recorded battles of season 2 at first, by the time the show had to cover for movie filming they felt like they had become lazy and by the end of season 3 I could tolerate Alien Rangers just because I would see the more carefully-directed Japanese footage again.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like to think that I was astute enough as a nine-year-old to notice some of the irregularities in Power Rangers, but I might be inserting memories that were never there too. I definitely paid enough attention that I could see the Megazord's hand go from being a bulky fist to a hand in a black glove when the suit actor needed manual dexterity and the fact that there was a difference in size. I always thought that the Z's that appeared on Dragonzord's knees and in the Dragon Megazord's finisher stood for Zordon. Though I did wonder why certain equipment never got used. The coloring books always had pictures of the Power Rangers using motorcycles and I even had a set of the Micro Machine toys that were of them. Megazord had a Mastodon shield but I think it only got used once. What's with all this equipment when they never seem to use it? Did I just miss the episodes that they used it in?

Once season two rolled around, the thing that always bothered me was why the Power Rangers didn't use their power weapons anymore. Once the White Ranger was revealed, he'd use Saba from time to time and the sword could talk, but it just inexplicably stopped being used but it was always at Tommy's side. The Thunder Zords never really do anything on their own and we'd never see the Rangers inside of them. There was all that footage of them inside the cockpits of the Dino Zords, but never inside the Thunder Zords unless it was Thunder Megazord. And why was there no footage of them inside Mega Tigerzord?

I saw so little of season three when it was airing that most of what I knew about it came from any toys that I had or saw. I did see the beginning of the season and the episode with the shark motorcycles, but never caught a glimpse of the Shogun Megazord even though I had the toy and saw it in The Fighting Game.

All the jankiness of seasons two and three might be why I liked Zeo so much. I knew something was not right, but I couldn't articulate why because I was a fourth grader. The costume change and new equipment and mecha and the fact that the editing of the show was no longer a clusterfuck and the special effects and stunts from the Japanese counterpart returned felt like such a breath of fresh air. Things seemed like they were making sense again. Sometimes I wonder if the costume change would have been well received once the Dairanger footage was being used so long as they had kept the same cast. I understand why Saban didn't go through with the costume change because it would look unrecognizable compared to the last season and suddenly Zach is the Green Ranger instead of Tommy.

But god drat, Zyuranger is so much better to watch on account of the show's editing alone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I wonder if they had to have like a special staff meeting about carefully avoiding the phrase "white power" in Tommy's new theme song.

"Okay, boys, how many words do we need to put between 'white' and 'power'?"
"Uh... one?"
"Still too spicy."
"Two words?"
":thunk:"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jason David Duke Frank

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Because the White Ranger apparently needed two themes, they also just recycled "Go Green Ranger Go by swapping all instances of Green to White. Not complaining because it's one of the best themes in the show, so good on them for finding a lazy way to keep using it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They only used go white ranger go once or twice, in his debut episode

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JT Smiley posted:

I didn't notice at first, but I was also like 5 or 6 at the time Might Morphin hit.

It never started dawning on me until In Space.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have to say, I'm super impressed by the sheer rate at which LizWiz releases these minimalist cuts. I guess the editing is probably a little easier because he's just slicing out footage for the most part, but still. Lizard Wizard is a real trooper who is doing amazing work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

I thought about doing it framed as a DnD Larp game or something that goes off the rails, Zordon as the DM and all that

But you know, effort

Frame it as a 4Kids era English translation of a hypothetical Japanese dub of the series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I remember as a kid being a little confused about the video quality changing and I seem to recall an episode where someone became Japanese in a cut between shots. It wasn't until In Space that I started proactively looking for the source material, because I wanted to know if they got more mecha.

E: and I would be totally unsurprised if Saban was using video tapes to film the MMPR segments, explaining the huge disparity between footage. I think it was sometime around 2006 that Toei started doing HD video filming, they were still on film stock up til then. (that's why the Rider shows abruptly look so different around then)

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 29, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Actually, now that I think about it again, the first red flag I had as a kid was probably the Ninja and Shogun "Ultrazords", especially with the "pink" Shogun zord.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

Actually, now that I think about it again, the first red flag I had as a kid was probably the Ninja and Shogun "Ultrazords", especially with the "pink" Shogun zord.

Why did they recolor the White Shogunzord for the American toys anyway?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cause that's the pink rangers Zord

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Larryb posted:

Why did they recolor the White Shogunzord for the American toys anyway?

Some executive probably got it in his head that if they didn't have a pink zord, then no one would buy the Falconzord.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I have to say, I'm super impressed by the sheer rate at which LizWiz releases these minimalist cuts. I guess the editing is probably a little easier because he's just slicing out footage for the most part, but still. Lizard Wizard is a real trooper who is doing amazing work.

Well, part of it is that despite being a fan my exposure to actual Power Rangers episodes was pretty scattershot, so a lot of this stuff is very new to me!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sometimes it's easy to tell what the show is because monsters appear and then when they grow they become very different than they did on the ground, usually gaining some kind of off-color weapon or sometimes even just looking a lot more menacing than they did in the US footage.

I'm at the point right now where I relax on the couch at night and pick from over 600 episodes of Power Rangers from over the years to watch, and last night I watched an old episode with a monster whose origin, purpose, and abilities were entirely modified by US footage and then when he grew he had an entirely different and much cooler set of abilities. And it's like my desire to sit and watch sentai season by season is conflicting with my desire to just load up the episode with this specific monster and see what the hell his original deal was.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Sometimes it's easy to tell what the show is because monsters appear and then when they grow they become very different than they did on the ground, usually gaining some kind of off-color weapon or sometimes even just looking a lot more menacing than they did in the US footage.

I'm at the point right now where I relax on the couch at night and pick from over 600 episodes of Power Rangers from over the years to watch, and last night I watched an old episode with a monster whose origin, purpose, and abilities were entirely modified by US footage and then when he grew he had an entirely different and much cooler set of abilities. And it's like my desire to sit and watch sentai season by season is conflicting with my desire to just load up the episode with this specific monster and see what the hell his original deal was.

Which monster?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don’t remember the name, but I t’s from a later episode of Zeo. Almost all of Gasket’s episodes are shot almost entirely of US footage because Ohranger was really going off some rails. It’s why Auric only appears twice even though he looks cool.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today's episode is, simply put, kinda hosed up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today's episode is, simply put, kinda hosed up.

Just watched the whole playlist yesterday, this is very good and I'm surprised I waited this long for it.

That said, please update the playlist. I thought I was up to date but it only goes up to 45.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Just watched the whole playlist yesterday, this is very good and I'm surprised I waited this long for it.

That said, please update the playlist. I thought I was up to date but it only goes up to 45.

Done! And yes, 53 is missing - I somehow entirely skipped over it while high and will add it when I complete the rest of the first season.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hope you don't mind, LW, but I sent the playlist to two PR podcasts I've kept up with. Hopefully the extra attention won't get Saban's eyes on it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I hope you don't mind, LW, but I sent the playlist to two PR podcasts I've kept up with. Hopefully the extra attention won't get Saban's eyes on it.

No trouble at all! I've had copyright claims on nearly all my videos so far and it says the content was "manually detected", so I'm guessing if they wanted to take them down they would've done so by now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm guessing they're just claiming/blocking any monetization?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm guessing they're just claiming/blocking any monetization?

Yeah, seems that way, though it's blocked in some countries too.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
BOOM! Studios announces Power Rangers: Shattered Grid to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Power Rangers.

quote:

Power Rangers: Shattered Grid will span across issues of BOOM! Studios’ Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comics, Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers comics, and two special one-shot spinoffs. It all kicks off in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #25, written by Kyle Higgins and Danielle Di Nicuolo, set for release on March 21, 2018 inside a sealed black polybag to prevent the shocking events inside from being spoiled.

The story line will follow Lord Drakkon – an evil alternate-reality version of Tommy Oliver – who’s returned with a newly reformed deadly army that threatens the existence of every Power Ranger ever. In order to combat the threat, the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will join forces with popular faces and teams from all across the franchise’s 25-year history in an event like never seen before.

Something tells me this will be better than whatever they've got planned for the special anniversary episode of Super Ninja Steel. :v:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There's lots of stuff in that poster that I can't decipher if it's esoteric references I don't get, or weird comic canon stuff.

There's an extra Ninja Storm Navy? There's MMPR but with scarves, MMPR but with capes, Lightspeed Recue with antannae,? Zed's Putty Rangers, Rita's Evil Rangers, SPD Alpha Squad, a cowboy? What I'm pretty sure are supposed to be the 2016 movie rangers, MMPR but with Collars? an extra set of Wild Force in shadows? some weird melty-face ranger heads in the background? Ninja Storm Dark Yellow!

e: that's not the dark yellow ranger, that's just the Samurai ranger in mustard. The hell is that guy?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 5, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Uh, Chameleon Green is in there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

There's lots of stuff in that poster that I can't decipher if it's esoteric references I don't get, or weird comic canon stuff.

There's an extra Ninja Storm Navy? There's MMPR but with scarves, MMPR but with capes, Lightspeed Recue with antannae,? Zed's Putty Rangers, Rita's Evil Rangers, SPD Alpha Squad, a cowboy? What I'm pretty sure are supposed to be the 2016 movie rangers, MMPR but with Collars? an extra set of Wild Force in shadows? some weird melty-face ranger heads in the background? Ninja Storm Dark Yellow!

e: that's not the dark yellow ranger, that's just the Samurai ranger in mustard. The hell is that guy?

There's like eight Tommys

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm trying to figure out why there's so many MMPRs. There's the original MMPR. There's the ones that would be putties wearing their costumes from Mighty Morphin' Mutants. The Wild West Rangers are top-center identified by scarves and the White Stranger being right next to them.... Are the guys with the collars above Drakkon supposed to be the MMPRs of his world that he hosed up? Is that green ranger under Drakkon's left hand supposed to be his original costume?

Honestly, with so many weird shout-outs that I can't identify them all, I'm sort of surprised that there's not two sets of Turbo Rangers due to that one episode where they made robot clones of themselves and sent them to Eltar to presumably get pulverized by Dark Spectre. I also couldn't find Zane's troll Psycho Silver costume after lots of looking.

Any guesses at to the rangers with collars above the giant rear end green ranger? And really especially what about the shadowed people above them and below Mystic Force? Because they look just enough like Zyuohger to freak me out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't find the Super Megacut any more. Did it get taken down? :(

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Craptacular! posted:

Are the guys with the collars above Drakkon supposed to be the MMPRs of his world that he hosed up?

Those are the Rangers from the PINK mini series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn that is some ugly promo art.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It looks like the Mexican knockoff blankets I used to see at the 99.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Looks like the old pre TV show Power Rangers art from the commercials and spaghettios tie in stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBX posted:

Looks like the old pre TV show Power Rangers art from the commercials and spaghettios tie in stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I still have this somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I still have this somewhere

I wish I still had mine :(