Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Terriers is going away from Netflix on December 1. Binge it now. It's one of the best detective shows ever made.
I can confirm that this show is good. It's a real shame it got cut down in its prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Everytime I log onto Netflix these days, acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee begins talking to me and my adhd-addled mind can't handle it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Hulu sucks because when you add stuff to "My List" or whatever on your computer it doesn't show up under "My Stuff" on XB1.

I found some nice older shows that I liked, mainly The Loop and Party Down, I also watch a couple episodes of Outsourced every once in a while. A show that I would like to binge would be Super Store, but they only have like the last 5 episodes of that, they do that with a lot of stuff like The Good Place too though, would be nice to find a place to watch SS but I know TGP will be out on Netflix next year (hopefully).

Anyone watch Trailer Park Boys Out of the Park: USA? I knew it wouldn't be great, but still looked forward to it. I watched it all on Black Friday, it was OK, but nothing like the glory days, just like the newer seasons and specials :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hulu has a good library. I watch it on pc so idk about their apps. The way it records your progress on an episode is broken a bit, it always queues up stuff I’ve already watched. But if you like cartoons and poo poo it’s pretty good. Also Brooklyn 99 is one of the funniest sitcoms ever made imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't mind that so much except for the fact that if it's not a Netflix Original, it's the trailer played with generic open source background muzak instead of sound from the actual trailer.

The public domain music cracks me up. I always imagine some guy at a computer debating amongst himself what to pick. Hmm is this more of a "whimsical indie" or "zany accordion" film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

The public domain music cracks me up. I always imagine some guy at a computer debating amongst himself what to pick. Hmm is this more of a "whimsical indie" or "zany accordion" film.
It’s probably all picked by a soulless algorithm based on the metadata they already have about the movie. Any human creativity has been optimized out of the system.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I just watched Wind River (not on streaming unless you wanna pay) and it was pretty awesome and I want some more dark mystery/thrillers to watch. Any good recs?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just finished Godless. While it took me a bit to get into, things eventually picked up steam. Overall I thought it was pretty good, and I really enjoyed it. While I never got into Michelle Dockery's bad American accent, as it turns out she is far from being the lead character. Merritt Weaver, Scoot McNairy and Jeff Daniels have far more screen time.

Really, the story of the women in the town was more interesting than Jeff Daniels going around murdering everyone he sees.

I'm not like super into Westerns, so I don't know how much mileage it has with those people who are connoisseurs of the genre.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

K. Waste posted:

If you're a glutton for punishment, Comet (2014) isn't subscription streaming but holy hell is it lame. Justin Long is doing an RDJ impression the whole time. There are references to parallel universes, war, and sci-fi cancer-curing medical tech, but of course none of those things are actually depicted or relevant in any way and it's just another puerile breakup movie. Imagine, like, (500) Days of Summer except it's not satiric, Eternal Sunshine except it's not a sci-fi, or Miranda July's The Future except it's desperate to appease the spectator.

I actually really liked this movie. I watched it after watching Mr. Robot season 1 (it's Sam Esmail's movie). The cinematography is great, you can see similarities with the show. I don't love Justin Long but he does a decent enough job. Emmy Rossum is good.

Also, it IS a sci-fi movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I actually really liked this movie. I watched it after watching Mr. Robot season 1 (it's Sam Esmail's movie). The cinematography is great, you can see similarities with the show. I don't love Justin Long but he does a decent enough job. Emmy Rossum is good.

Also, it IS a sci-fi movie.

I didn't say it wasn't a sci-fi movie - I said it was a sci-fi movie where none of the sci-fi elements are relevant. There's some 'glitchy' transition effects and some very poorly composited astronomical events, that's about the size of it.

The cinematography is mediocre-to-terrible. It compounds upon the sense that any sci-fi trappings are all pretense, what you're in fact watching is a really banal romantic drama.

I've never watched Mr. Robot. Comet is not doing its auteur any favors.

If you think Comet is good, though, I highly recommend Eternal Sunshine and Miranda July's The Future, that poo poo'll inspire the hell outta ya.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Guys I have a punisher shaped hole in my heart since just finishing the season. drat that was good. So good. I’m on ep 10 of Daredevil s2, which I only find ok. The acting isn’t nearly as on point. Some of the character’s actions seem dumb. I also find it very difficult to understand how nobody can figure out that Matt is Daredevil, he wears either a blindfold or red plastic over his eyes, has the same exact voice and accent, and has the same scruffy chin beard. Hell, there’s even a moment during Castle’s trial where he looks at Matt and clearly his face is saying “no poo poo, duh” just from hearing his voice.

Like, I imagine the conversation in NYC is all, “hey man I know you heard about the bulletproof black dude and the girl that can like fly, and that idiot with the fire fist, but you hear about the blind guy that’s good at kung fu?”

“Naaaaaaah man that’s not possible.”

I’ve basically been fast forwarding past all the ninja crap for punisher scenes.

How is the defenders?

What else are you guys watching right now?

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 27, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Defenders is down with iron fist as one of the weakest.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tweet my meat posted:

Defenders is down with iron fist as one of the weakest.

Agreed. While it was definitely better than Iron Fist, it had major problems, mostly the huge gaping plot holes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm guessing The Keepers didn't explode like The Jinx and Making a Murderer because the "villain" is long dead, right?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lycus posted:

I'm guessing The Keepers didn't explode like The Jinx and Making a Murderer because the "villain" is long dead, right?

I couldn't get through The Keepers because it was way too long. It kept repeating itself.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I assume this steady stream of Black Mirror trailers we are getting will result in a premier date sometime this week?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Has anyone watched The Meyerowitz Stories yet? Dustin Hoffman, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, in what looks like a Wes Anderson style movie, Netflix gives it a 97% match and it seems to have good reviews, but I've heard not a peep about it. 93% on RT and 3.5 on rogerebert.com, not too shabby.

Oh and it's the guy who did Frances Ha and The Squid and the Whale. Yeah, I think I'll give it a shot.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Meh if you like old Jewish guy family drama shoegaze then it’s fine. I watched it because I like the actors but wouldn’t recommend it to past me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Godless is quite a bit cornier than I was expecting. I'm not sure the show is aware of this though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Guys I have a punisher shaped hole in my heart since just finishing the season. drat that was good. So good. I’m on ep 10 of Daredevil s2, which I only find ok. The acting isn’t nearly as on point. Some of the character’s actions seem dumb. I also find it very difficult to understand how nobody can figure out that Matt is Daredevil, he wears either a blindfold or red plastic over his eyes, has the same exact voice and accent, and has the same scruffy chin beard. Hell, there’s even a moment during Castle’s trial where he looks at Matt and clearly his face is saying “no poo poo, duh” just from hearing his voice.

Like, I imagine the conversation in NYC is all, “hey man I know you heard about the bulletproof black dude and the girl that can like fly, and that idiot with the fire fist, but you hear about the blind guy that’s good at kung fu?”

“Naaaaaaah man that’s not possible.”

I’ve basically been fast forwarding past all the ninja crap for punisher scenes.

How is the defenders?

What else are you guys watching right now?

Well, nobody in New York except other heroes knows that Daredevil is blind, only that he wears a cool suit.

To answer your question about Defenders, i'm sorry to say that it's easily forgettable. They managed to make Iron Fist not only the weakest as a series, but the weakest out of the entire group, and the trouble is, he is supposed to be the most important figure against the hand in the series. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage do a good job of lightening the mood by trying to make sense of the ninja stuff and Daredevil is conflicted about his identity because the script told him to and as a result, he's the second weakest character.

I felt that the later half of daredevil season 2 did a better job representing the threat of the hand than the defenders did, and that was supposed to be THE main threat

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 28, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Has anyone watched The Meyerowitz Stories yet? Dustin Hoffman, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, in what looks like a Wes Anderson style movie, Netflix gives it a 97% match and it seems to have good reviews, but I've heard not a peep about it. 93% on RT and 3.5 on rogerebert.com, not too shabby.

Oh and it's the guy who did Frances Ha and The Squid and the Whale. Yeah, I think I'll give it a shot.

I liked it okay enough. I don't remember how it ends.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m sick of quasi realism poo poo that marvel gets away with. Yeah punisher was good

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

There were way too many ninja fights in s2 of daredevil. They just became uninteresting. The Hand and his henchmen are literally the same dudes as in the original teenage mutant ninja turtles movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

you see its harder to hear breathing for DD than heartbeats because uh....

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The ninja fights are what made season 2 of daredevil good. I don't give a poo poo about his relationship issues. Give me ninja fights.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blind Rasputin posted:

There were way too many ninja fights in s2 of daredevil. They just became uninteresting. The Hand and his henchmen are literally the same dudes as in the original teenage mutant ninja turtles movie.

I can't tell if this is a joke. Is this a joke? There's too much irony, I can't tell anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sarchasm posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke. Is this a joke? There's too much irony, I can't tell anymore.

It's well known trivia but it's also easy to forget that TMNT originally was a parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yes. It is well known that the original depictions of the turtle’s sensei “Splinter” was an old blind rat that carried and trained with a walking stick, much like Matt Murdoch’s own sensei. As well, the turtle’s arch nemesis “Shredder” was originally drawn with large blades covering his left hand because he was left handed. His use of the Hand and his group of ninjas called “the Foot” to enact his rage was regarded as an allegorical nod to daredevil’s own eventual worst enemy.

As a Herpetologist myself, the choice by the author to represent the spirit of Matt Murdoch with four turtles is amusing. It is well regarded that turtles carry the worst eyesight of all amphibians, and rely much more on hearing and other senses to navigate their environments. Thus, it is a subtle humor that much like the original daredevil, they all wore strips of cloth over their eyes.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 28, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It started off that way but it was such a natural fit that it stuck really well.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Can anyone sell me on a Hulu sub? I use Netflix and Amazon Prime pretty regularly, but I just noticed that Fox titles will be exclusively on Hulu starting in December. Are there a lot of heavy hitters or must see type content that netflix and prime don't cover? The only thing right now that's really pushing my decision is not being able to drunkenly play Always Sunny in the background of whatever else I'm doing.

Future Man is hilarious and you can watch current season network TV without commercials.

Plus all the fox animation is ending up there, so if you have family guy/bobs burgers running on repeat like I do, it's worth it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tainen posted:

20 minutes into Bushwick and they are doing that faked single take thing and it's too distracting for me to finish.
What, you don't like incredibly conspicuous and unnecessary close ups of brick walls?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A friend of mine is looking for cheerful, quirky Korean television drama -- something along the lines of Strong Girl Bong Soon. Any ideas?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I called Godless corny, and it is, but it sure is entertaining and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe cool it with the rape poo poo though. I get that these dudes are bad, as evidenced by them killing everyone they run into for no discernible reason. poo poo, even imply that they raped everyone and their dog for all I care, but I really don't need to see graphically documented emotional trauma in every ep of this dopey western.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 29, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh it's a show not a movie? gently caress that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is shot in the dark a reality show or a nightrunner series

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dunno how long it's been up on Netflix, but Round Planet had me laughing my rear end off last night.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I watched the first couple episodes of round planet last night and it was pretty good. The wildebeest episode cracked me up especially.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I know I called Godless corny, and it is, but it sure is entertaining and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe cool it with the rape poo poo though. I get that these dudes are bad, as evidenced by them killing everyone they run into for no discernible reason. poo poo, even imply that they raped everyone and their dog for all I care, but I really don't need to see graphically documented emotional trauma in every ep of this dopey western.

I'm only two episodes in and it's better than it has any right to be.

Michelle Dockery is by far the least interesting part of this show. But her presence did get my girlfriend to watch and enjoy something she wouldn't normally watch, so :shrug:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

disjoe posted:

I'm only two episodes in and it's better than it has any right to be.

Michelle Dockery is by far the least interesting part of this show. But her presence did get my girlfriend to watch and enjoy something she wouldn't normally watch, so :shrug:

I'm on episode four or five and I've been enjoying it. Jeff Danielsis doing a good job, and I like the Sherrif and his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
While it isn't streaming per se for the purposes of this thread, have any of you tried Youtube's LiveTV for $35/mo deal?