Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
God I wish I can get back to shape, this QA job has made me pudgy, and no there ain't a gym nearby. And yeah thanksgiving hosed me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Do bodyweight exercises

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

Bold but not a boiling hot take.

The venn diagram of people who have strong opinions about both has the barely overlap though

Wasn’t trying for a hot take, I legit think it’s better and they’re similar places.

Now if I’d said McDonalds double cheeseburger is better than In-N-Outs.....

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe I should try keto for a month...

My mom is a retired dietitian and she hated the Atkins diet and always advised people to avoid it.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Intruder posted:

mayo as a concept was a mistake

(except on banh mi)

you're wrong in so many ways

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

No Butt Stuff posted:

Nike's supply chain is dubiously unethical. At best.

That's also part of why I'm not super passionate about it. The other part is that it's a fallback in case my first like... fifteen choices don't work out.

E: to be clear, I'd be part of the Supply Chain or Demand and Supply Management teams. I wouldn't want to work for Manufacturing and Sourcing, but even being tangentially related is bleh.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

you're wrong in so many ways

A proper banh mi has a nice homemade garlic mayo

Also pate, and tons of peppers

Mayo is otherwise disgusting

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

seiferguy posted:

Maybe I should try keto for a month...

My mom is a retired dietitian and she hated the Atkins diet and always advised people to avoid it.

your mom was probably taught a bunch of bullshit because Big Carbs gave the government a poo poo ton of money to tell us fat is bad and carbs are good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

your mom was probably taught a bunch of bullshit because Big Carbs gave the government a poo poo ton of money to tell us fat is bad and carbs are good

Literally read a thing the other day about how the sugar industry lobbied extensively in the 50s to push the blame for heart disease onto fatty foods

e: What's the deal with this episode with the indian girl in Stranger Things? This all seems so pointless

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Big Jesus posted:

Cookout oooooooooowns.

I can't bring myself to focus on writing this cover letter for a Nike supply chain internship due tomorrow. Not sure if I really want to move to Portland anyway... could be cool for a summer though? Plus tons of swag I'm sure.

No one's going to read it, so just make sure it passes the half glance the dead eyed HR person gives it before deleting it and reading your resume. If it's an attachment separate from the resume, 100% it will not be opened.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

It's overhyped when you make a journey to one, the real benefit of in n out is when it's right down the street and you can get it whenever you want

They're opening one in Houston soon and I think it's the east-most In n out

ding ding ding

I haven't been to an in n out in like two years but knowing I could go to one is nice

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

listen real talk at cook out you can get a quesadilla as a side

like what else even is life

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

The main reason she hated it was that everyone who came to her that had done it stopped and then yo-yo'd back to an even heavier weight.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Big Jesus posted:

That's also part of why I'm not super passionate about it. The other part is that it's a fallback in case my first like... fifteen choices don't work out.

E: to be clear, I'd be part of the Supply Chain or Demand and Supply Management teams. I wouldn't want to work for Manufacturing and Sourcing, but even being tangentially related is bleh.

I had a classmate who did an internship there, and now lives there. He loves it. During his internship he met Carmelo Anthony and various other athletes.

Also, Nike did clean up their supply chain and sourcing a bit after that child labor fallout. I wouldn't hold them because of the sins of their past.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo there’s a New Jersey Shore except it takes place on the Florida panhandle and if you think I’m going to watch every episode you’re absolutely correct

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh poo poo there’s a New Jersey Shore except it takes place on the Florida panhandle and if you think I’m going to watch every episode you’re absolutely correct

is that the one at pcb

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

seiferguy posted:

The main reason she hated it was that everyone who came to her that had done it stopped and then yo-yo'd back to an even heavier weight.

It's because people treat poo poo like band-aids instead of actual lifestyle changes.

It's like the joke, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Well stop doing that."

"It fats when I eat carbs." "Well stop doing that."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

is that the one at pcb

Yes just started. I grew up going to PCB and my uncle still lives there

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yes just started. I grew up going to PCB and my uncle still lives there

gf and i went to rosemary.

took a day trip to PCB on a saturday for the lolz

that was one of the worst things ive ever seen

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

seiferguy posted:

I had a classmate who did an internship there, and now lives there. He loves it. During his internship he met Carmelo Anthony and various other athletes.

Also, Nike did clean up their supply chain and sourcing a bit after that child labor fallout. I wouldn't hold them because of the sins of their past.

Well it sounds like they've at least earned a five minute modification job of my standard ops cover letter/resume.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

It's because people treat poo poo like band-aids instead of actual lifestyle changes.

It's like the joke, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Well stop doing that."

"It fats when I eat carbs." "Well stop doing that."

She had specific reasons why she wasn't a fan of it. I can't remember and I don't feel like calling her up to say that I need to win an argument on a dead gay forum and need to know why Atkins is bad. I just remember it was the hot fad diet at the time and she mainly hates them on principle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if it helps that I always eat everything in a 4-5 hour window during the evening. Not for a conscious reason, that's just when I feel like eating.

I think one of my problems is that on the nights where I go workout I'm never home until 8:30 at the earliest and not eating dinner until 9 or even 10 depending on what else is going on. Then I eat a bunch because I just worked out and go to bed like an hour or two later.

This is the second thread that I've read this week that says "don't eat breakfast", I eat an actual breakfast daily and I'm still real drat hungry by 1 PM when I eat lunch but I might try cutting back on the breakfast a bit (usually a wheat bagel and a smoothie)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

gf and i went to rosemary.

took a day trip to PCB on a saturday for the lolz

that was one of the worst things ive ever seen

We spent most of our time in Grand Lagoon but I will say it’s gotten Waaaaay better than it used to be. I went for the 4th about a decade ago and there was a fight on the beach and this one guy starts running toward the fight. He stops and runs back to his beach bag and yells “hang on I forgot my knuckles!” And pulls these brass knuckles out of his bag and runs back towards the fight.

This was right after a girl named Reagin won a wet T-shirt contest while having ring worm.

That story is so PCB it hurts

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spoeank posted:

Jurassic Park is the only Chrichton IP that I can consume without thinking about what a weird hosed up person he is.

Which is weird because I loved him as a kid. I read Jurassic Park in the second drat grade.
I liked Sphere, the 13th Warrior is a pretty rad movie to (never read Eaters of the Dead to compare the two)

Shame Spielberg hasn't been able to adapt Pirate Latitudes into a movie, also I forgot that Crichton wrote a novel on the Bone Wars that was released a couple of years ago which is weird.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just went running tonight for the first time in forever :unsmith:

In the winter of 2015-spring of 2016 I lost 35 pounds but in the ensuing year+ I gained almost all of it back. It really upset me so I'm trying really hard to do it again. When I did it last time I went nuts though, eating only 1400 calories a day and running at least 5 miles a day. It wasn't sustainable. 1400 calories a day is pitiful and it became really easy to slack off because I had this mentality that if I didn't get my 5 miles in the whole day was a failure.

I'm trying to be better now :unsmith:

seiferguy posted:

She had specific reasons why she wasn't a fan of it. I can't remember and I don't feel like calling her up to say that I need to win an argument on a dead gay forum and need to know why Atkins is bad. I just remember it was the hot fad diet at the time and she mainly hates them on principle.

Did she perhaps read the Goons with Spoons low carb thread and recoil in horror?

My "favorite" part of that was people who came in there and said "eating nothing but bacon grease will kill you" got banned.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 1, 2017

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I used to be a 225lb motherfucker now I'm down to like 155.

Losing weight long term is about more or less treating your body as it should be. Like your meat vehicle that you gotta take care of. You can be a little lax to keep you sane but you gotta realise the work is never actually done.

Like any vehicle a little preventative maintenance goes a hell of a long way.

A lot of lifetime fatties think the works done once they hit that number on the scale. That goes for Atkins or calorie restriction or anything really.

Also you dudes don't really have fish n chip shops there do ya? They manage crispy fries pretty well for take away. They wrap em in butcher's paper but not too tight. Gotta have something to do with it. They're also usually pretty thick cut.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FizFashizzle posted:

listen real talk at cook out you can get a quesadilla as a side

like what else even is life

Spicy chicken tray with a 'dilla and a corndog. Add a cheesecake shake for a buck

God I wanna go get drunk just to have a legit excuse to get Cook Out now

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

axeil posted:

In the winter of 2015-spring of 2016 I lost 35 pounds but in the ensuing year+ I gained almost all of it back. It really upset me so I'm trying really hard to do it again. When I did it last time I went nuts though, eating only 1400 calories a day and running at least 5 miles a day. It wasn't sustainable. 1400 calories a day is pitiful and it became really easy to slack off because I had this mentality that if I didn't get my 5 miles in the whole day was a failure.

Did she perhaps read the Goons with Spoons low carb thread and recoil in horror?

My "favorite" part of that was people who came in there and said "eating nothing but bacon grease will kill you" got banned.

Funny thing is no one sane I know who does keto does anything like goons in that thread were doing. Sure plenty of full fat but I and everyone else I know thats had success ate a tonne of vegetables and leafy greens too.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Freaquency posted:

Spicy chicken tray with a 'dilla and a corndog. Add a cheesecake shake for a buck

God I wanna go get drunk just to have a legit excuse to get Cook Out now

There's one walking distance from the bars I go to. It is A Problem.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

As someone who's been running for over 15 years, the thing that matters most about running is that you just get out there and do it on a repeated basis. Even if you can't muster up to stick to 5 every day, just get out there and do some running. Also doing 5+ miles a day on 1400 sounds depressing, I used to have a running watch that calculated calories burnt during a run and 5 miles would be like 6-700 calories.

I miss having a running buddy, mine moved over the summer and there's this girl I work out with sometimes and I keep saying "yo hmu and let's run" but she's failed to get back to me enough times that she's probably trying to hint at something :negative:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

As someone who's been running for over 15 years, the thing that matters most about running is that you just get out there and do it on a repeated basis. Even if you can't muster up to stick to 5 every day, just get out there and do some running. Also doing 5+ miles a day on 1400 sounds depressing, I used to have a running watch that calculated calories burnt during a run and 5 miles would be like 6-700 calories.

I miss having a running buddy, mine moved over the summer and there's this girl I work out with sometimes and I keep saying "yo hmu and let's run" but she's failed to get back to me enough times that she's probably trying to hint at something :negative:

Yeah, I've been running since I did track/xc in high school. I just sometimes lose my motivation or get injured and it throws my routine off and I can't motivate myself to get back to it.

The 1400 calories thing suuucked. Some days when I'd do a long run I'd end up nearly net negative for the day. I was eating a bagel for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and then fish or chicken + rice for dinner. I was hungry all the drat time, and I ate pounds of carrots and pickles to try and stave off the hunger pains. It loving worked though, I was losing 2.5 or 3 pounds a week. But of course I eventually broke down and started eating a zillion calories again.

My girlfriend has been really supportive and encouraging. She's the best :unsmith:. My therapist also pointed out my all/nothing thinking on the workouts was really self-destructive, would set me up for failure, and was a nearly impossible to attain standard. We've talked a lot about how my all/nothing thinking and ridiculously high self-standards are horrible for my mental well being but, well, it's still a work in progress :shobon:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Losing three pounds a week is wayyyyy too much

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Intruder posted:

Losing three pounds a week is wayyyyy too much

Yeah, I told my mom about it at one point (she's a nurse) and she went :stare: and very gently tried to show me how insane/dangerous that was. Part of me feels like it was a borderline eating disorder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Of course sometimes I lose 1-2 pounds in ten minutes if you know what I mean

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I need to look up someone to be a lifting buddy. I can usually go well for a few weeks but I stall out unless I am going with someone.

I just need to get back in shape so I can play ultimate this summer and not be the one person that just gets beat up and down the field.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I love Billy in the second season of Stranger Things. He's basically Billy Madison when he tried to go back to high school in the 90s except it's the 80s so everyone loves his style. I wonder if that's why his name is Billy

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I tried an extreme fat loss diet where I basically ate grilled turkey, Greek nonfat yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese and broccoli. I felt full but felt like poo poo. I would lose 4 pounds a week. I proceeded to take a trip to Hawaii and gain it all back.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I feel like my current plan of walking to the gym and then going on the eliptical for 15 mins and then the stairs machine for 10 isn't going to give me the results I want, then again with some dieting I did nearly lose 20 pounds in 3 months, but couldn't win that weight loss challenge because people had to go on that drat Kieno diet which I can never do because I like bread too much.

My diet was basically the same except smaller portions and I would eat more spinach salads with black olives and Italian Dressing and then some Raspberry Chobani. Also ate more grilled chicken sandwiches.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

My girlfriend has been really supportive and encouraging. She's the best :unsmith:. My therapist also pointed out my all/nothing thinking on the workouts was really self-destructive, would set me up for failure, and was a nearly impossible to attain standard. We've talked a lot about how my all/nothing thinking and ridiculously high self-standards are horrible for my mental well being but, well, it's still a work in progress :shobon:

If you are a former runner then you should know that these things take time. If you were like me you were dogshit slow when you first started and (hopefully) got better at it after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Currently watching Naked Gun because of the Leslie Nielsen chat that happened earlier.

• Locked thread