Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Note that doesn't mean 14 hours total, that means 14 working schedule hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Chilichimp posted:

It depends where you live.

The United States

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

is this game payback for the raping of our indigenous peoples?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

What happens at the end of the 14 hours?

The lights go on and it is revealed that this was all a bad dream.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexy tiger boobs posted:

No that's global warming. This is our punishment for not crushing the racists after the Civil War.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

What?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Covok posted:

What happens at the end of the 14 hours?

*Jeff Goldblum looks up from his computer* Judgement day

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

lovely houses are 250~300k in the suburbs outside Boston :shrug:

We live in different parts of the country, my man. :shrug: poo poo's weird, you guys have that weird thing with your r's up there too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Delthalaz posted:

The United States

The United States of?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936437590735183872

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936438904097472518

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936439600289107969

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936441089875152898

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936442676257402880

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936443258732982272

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936444835183104000

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936447020063252485

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936448413431943169

tl;dr: the math in the bill is utter poo poo and the trigger getting killed has made the house of cards come tumbling down.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nothing to see here folks. Just Trump trying to shutdown an investigation into himself and his associates.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Chilichimp posted:

Are you honestly attempting to argue that my taxes should go up to pay for millionaire and corporate tax breaks because there are poor people in Oregon?

What does that have to do with -any- of this? Republicans aren't going to loving help them, man. If they were taxing me more to help the poor, I'd feel alright about it, but they're not and it's kind of an -rear end- thing for you to try to make people feel bad for being angry their kids college fund money is being diverted to put a couple MORE diamonds into a rich kids iphone case.

Wait what? I was talking about the 200k+ income earners posting in the thread. If you are one of them yeah maybe your taxes should go up a bit. I also want to wipe all student loan debt over 5-30k depending on income level and have a tax rate like we had in the 50's.

Edit: What made you think i support anything in this tax bill from that post? I didn't quote anyone and this thread moves super fast?

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 1, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Chilichimp posted:

The United States of?

Tara.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Math has been a problem for GOP economics for about four decades.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Look, Trump sucks and is a corrupt shitbag and all, but him saying "I hope you wrap it up soon" in and of itself is not interference.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Look, Trump sucks and is a corrupt shitbag and all, but him saying "I hope you wrap it up soon" in and of itself is not interference.

It can if there is an implicit "or else"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/936436826289537024

So, is every media organization full of sex fiends, or

Media is particularly acute because thousands of desperate young people with identical backgrounds all want to break into that particular prestige industry. The gatekeepers (powerful men) basically have their pick of the litter when it comes to people who will do anything to get a byline in a famous publication.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/936298310968672256

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I hate that news organizations are calling this a "tax overhaul" because it changes nothing about the underlying structure of the tax code, it just randomly shuffles numbers around until a dozen arrogant marshmallow brained lunatics can convince themselves they've successfully fixed everything.

There are still brackets. There are still credits and deductions. Income is classified the same way. All the numbers are just randomly different for no logical reason except "the rich need even more money" and "gently caress the federal government."

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Is anyone else disheartened on a daily basis how many people you know/work with don't care about any of this? I socialize and work with mostly left leaning people(again, Portland) and no one seems to give a poo poo. The biggest theft in American history is being attempted and no one knows what's going on. My college educated co-worker couldn't even name the heads of the senate or house, on either side. And she loving hates Trump.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stereotype posted:

I hate that news organizations are calling this a "tax overhaul" because it changes nothing about the underlying structure of the tax code, it just randomly shuffles numbers around until a dozen arrogant marshmallow brained lunatics can convince themselves they've successfully fixed everything.

There are still brackets. There are still credits and deductions. Income is classified the same way. All the numbers are just randomly different for no logical reason except "the rich need even more money" and "gently caress the federal government."

The media fundamentally accepts the Republican premise that lower taxes = better business, as does half the Democratic Party. There's only outrage because the Republicans are so greedy and incompetent that they aren't trying to hide what they're doing behind sleight of hand and clever buzzwords.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"We are fundamentally changing the way the American tax code works!!" *changes a 3 to a 2 in a big table*

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fragmented posted:

Is anyone else disheartened on a daily basis how many people you know/work with don't care about any of this? I socialize and work with mostly left leaning people(again, Portland) and no one seems to give a poo poo. The biggest theft in American history is being attempted and no one knows what's going on. My college educated co-worker couldn't even name the heads of the senate or house, on either side. And she loving hates Trump.

If I had a single issue it would definitely be taxes and I've literally never met a single person who cared about any tax policy discussion ever.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Haha gently caress my bad... watching the Cowboys destroy the Washington football team.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm shocked trump hasn't tried to force Washington to Cha get their name to the Trump's as a way to boost his ego and look like he's not super racist.

He probably loving loves that name though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/936439600289107969

I hope their hatred for Trump is enough to gently caress this

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

DaveWoo posted:

So, is every media organization full of sex fiends, or

Yes.

E: f/b drat

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

He has to make a choice on whether to negotiate with Democrats to prevent a shutdown or terrorists (the HFC), because Trump is a moron.

They may need to be prepared to negotiate a veto-proof deal with Democrats because Trump is gonna throw a fit if he doesn't get his wall money.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

50k/year isn't an impossible income to achieve even in low-cost areas of the country. Cheap old neighborhoods are fuckin' everywhere, depends how far you're willing to drive for work.

Yep. You really can't discount cost-of-living. The houses in my parents' neighborhood near Detroit (safe spot, very boring) have been selling for ~$60,000. My family brought home about that much a year, and we did all the lower-middle-class suburban poo poo: owned our home, food and healthcare were never a question, once-a-year vacations, had broadband internet and two good computers in 2000, and had the occasional DEEEEEEELUXE dinners at Outback Steakhouse.

I live in Boston now, household income is >$100,000, and the idea of raising a kid around here on our income is questionable, let alone owning property; it'd take us eight years of asceticism to work up a down payment. That kind of disparity always makes these conversations really strange, because six figures is a lot of loving money in most of the country.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fragmented posted:

I know a lot of people that don't have a functional knowledge base or understanding of the issues and people involved, but they care. It frustrates me that people could simultaneously care and not pay attention but republicans do it and so do dems.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If this bill dies, I still think the GOP will try to get a bipartisan middle class tax cut deal with Democrats, and if they make a bona-fide attempt at a deal, they'll probably get one.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/936444692874477569

The author makes a convincing argument, imo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I still can't believe that the Senate cardigan lady of rules (who most goons never heard of before today) may end up saving us from this horrible tax bill.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rigel posted:

If this bill dies, I still think the GOP will try to get a bipartisan middle class tax cut deal with Democrats, and if they make a bona-fide attempt at a deal, they'll probably get one.

Lol

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Fragmented posted:

Is anyone else disheartened on a daily basis how many people you know/work with don't care about any of this? I socialize and work with mostly left leaning people(again, Portland) and no one seems to give a poo poo. The biggest theft in American history is being attempted and no one knows what's going on. My college educated co-worker couldn't even name the heads of the senate or house, on either side. And she loving hates Drumpf.

My problem is I know some people I like who are disgusted by Drumpf and the right-wing crazies but would probably go back to the Republican party if they went away and I want to be like "but they still hate minorities and immigrants and gay people and women and women who have sex and poor people and...".

Any time I've vaguely brought it up, I get the "well I'm fiscally conservative and Dems are bad for small business" (which both of them are from wealthy white families who own a business). I haven't yet asked "so killing blacks and poors is ok if your operating costs don't go up?". I'm only here for a couple more years and like my drinking buddies :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

That's what I assumed about health care, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rigel posted:

I still can't believe that the Senate cardigan lady of rules (who most goons never heard of before today) may end up saving us from this horrible tax bill.

I'm pretty sure most goons (especially in this thread) know who the parliamentarian is.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

The GOP will never do anything that isn't a sweetheart giveaway to the ultra-rich. This is regardless of absolutely anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Fragmented posted:

Shortly after the election, there was a request from management to refrain from discussing politics in the workplace.

• Locked thread