Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

honestly, i'm just glad the better team won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh christ the finals are going to be a rematch where the only thing that changes is that Seattle gets exactly one shot on target but it gets into the net.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DR AIDS posted:

Is Montero staying around or is he going back to China?

update: we just signed a 23-year old striker who was the top scorer in Venezuela this year, so I'll bet that Montero is going back to China, even though Robbo says he wants three forwards competing for minutes.

Cautiously optimistic about this dude but I probably said the same about Rivero and Kudo so, well, whatever. If we can't get him service he'll flame out like all the rest (though at least he's bigger than Kudo and less likely to be kicked to death by MLS defenses).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Star Man posted:

Oh christ the finals are going to be a rematch where the only thing that changes is that Seattle gets exactly one shot on target but it gets into the net.

:hawksin:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Here's something to argue not-playoffs to argue about :

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/936423896349380608

Watson? Really?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Something tangentially related to MLS since they were a marginal expansion candidate back in the day, but this morning the Rochester Rhinos officially went bust.

Yes yes...actually it's "on hiatus"...but the current owners are giving up on the team, which is the second Rhinos ownership to do so in the last three years.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

whypick1 posted:

Here's something to argue not-playoffs to argue about :

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/936423896349380608

Watson? Really?

Your not dyslexic enough his name is Waston.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I've had like all the tequila at Fuel and am phone posting, so :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

Something tangentially related to MLS since they were a marginal expansion candidate back in the day, but this morning the Rochester Rhinos officially went bust.

Yes yes...actually it's "on hiatus"...but the current owners are giving up on the team, which is the second Rhinos ownership to do so in the last three years.

Aww. :( They were the last non-MLS club to win the U.S. Open Cup.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Aww. :( They were the last non-MLS club to win the U.S. Open Cup.
Here's the insane thing: apparently part of the reason for the attendance drop is that local youth coaches were openly telling their players to boycott the Rhinos because the Rhinos had the utter gall to field youth teams and thus "steal" players from the non-affiliated youth soccer clubs.

Apparently one of the Dworkins said the other day that at a local functiong/thinger a local youth coach actually came up to her and said that he hoped the Rhinos failed because they signed a youth player away from him in like 1998.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
See, if non-Americans want to know why American soccer is the way it is, there’s your answer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

See, if non-Americans want to know why American soccer is the way it is, there’s your answer.

This poo poo makes Arena Football look stable

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

And so once again we get two obnoxious fan bases in the final.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Dumb league.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Edward Mass posted:

Youth soccer is a loving disaster and most of those clubs only bu see the kids as a check. gently caress em. I'll never understand why these clubs don't just accept that players and their families should treat the youth soccer game like a business, because they treat it in the same way.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

And so once again we get two obnoxious fan bases in the final.

Wait, people think Toronto's fan base is obnoxious...?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Ontarians are very annoying.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You signs like someone who's never dealt with any quebecoise.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

whypick1 posted:

You signs like someone who's never dealt with any quebecoise.

I've had extensive dealings with quebecois. Quebec is the best province in Canada by a mile.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I though you'll find that Newfies are the best actually

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Whatever the case may be among the provinces, we Sounders fans invented being obnoxious. :)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Seltzer posted:

I've had extensive dealings with quebecois. Quebec is the best province in Canada by a mile.

Lmao

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I do not think I could be any less excited about watching another Seattle-Toronto final. I’m sure it will be a bit more exciting than last year’s given the changes to the teams, but still.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

shoplifter posted:

Youth soccer is a loving disaster and most of those clubs only bu see the kids as a check. gently caress em.

You're loving ignorant. Solidarity payments don't exist in this country and that's why coaches are protective of their players. It's a simple solution.

Watching everyone wade into the youth soccer scene to inject their own opinion recently is so loving annoying. We've always had a million people with ideas to fix it but nobody wants to actually put in the money and effort.

I can't wait for the world cup angst to end so we can go back to the regular $$$ / politics bullshit it's always been.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

tk posted:

I do not think I could be any less excited about watching another Seattle-Toronto final. I’m sure it will be a bit more exciting than last year’s given the changes to the teams, but still.

I want little gio to lift a big trophy, maybe jozy can put him on his shoulders and take him to a pizza party after.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Gigi Galli posted:

I want little gio to lift a big trophy, maybe jozy can put him on his shoulders and take him to a pizza party after.

Nah, that would cause Jozy to collapse under the weight. Dude goes down whenever someone breathes on him.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s so cool that we have to wait so long after the season for the playoffs to conclude and cup match. Would be interested to know what percentage of MLS viewers are totally tuned out or don’t know when the loving thing is even going to happen as a result

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Bio-Hazard posted:

You're loving ignorant. Solidarity payments don't exist in this country and that's why coaches are protective of their players. It's a simple solution.

As long as people are paying $2500+ a year for training, the clubs deserve next to nothing. I'm 100% for solidarity payments/training compensation as a mechanism to reduce/remove P2P but there are a *lot* of clubs that aren't doing their kids any favors, so you can kindly gently caress off with this nonsense. Too many club directors just want to keep players around so they can buy that new Benz. It's not everyone, but it's not rare either. I'm not saying there aren't lots of good coaches and club directors, there are, but quite honestly as long as I'm paying exorbitant amounts of money for training, I'm going to take my kid to the best possible value proposition for them. I don't owe the club anything. I can't speak for the Rhinos youth system and whether or not it was a better option for whatever families moved there.

If you are a coach/CD and are one of the good ones, good on ya. We just moved clubs over the summer after six years at our old club, and I had to do some pretty serious research before we decided on a new club.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 1, 2017

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It’s so cool that we have to wait so long after the season for the playoffs to conclude and cup match. Would be interested to know what percentage of MLS viewers are totally tuned out or don’t know when the loving thing is even going to happen as a result

I was looking for something to do during the Toronto - Columbus game and noticed there were a lot of posts in this thread so I watched the second half. I honestly had forgotten this season was still going on.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

shoplifter posted:

As long as people are paying $2500+ a year for training, the clubs deserve next to nothing.

No money means no incentive to develop players to the next level. Solidarity would help.

"Pay To Play" is a straw man; who will pay for everything? I'm sure you'll be the first to volunteer to essentially burn money. Kids can play (rec) for cheap in this country.

You will never equal the playing field between rich kid who gets soccer camp and new boots, and poor kid who might work a job to provide for his family.

I think we all agree that there should be more scouting opportunities for kids who can't pay.

My hot take: US Club is rightfully pissed that US Soccer prefers USYSA. US Soccer started the DA to take power away from those two organizations. Let the DA expand for a couple more years before saying that everything sucks.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I actually think we generally agree on most of this - as it is a lot of the kids on the C/D teams are subsidizing the A/B teams. Most of those kids would be better served by improved rec programs.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kilson posted:

Nah, that would cause Jozy to collapse under the weight. Dude goes down whenever someone breathes on him.

I look forward to Jozy trying to step up like he did to Klejestan than pussing out because the guy bigger than him in Torres turns up.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Rumors have Zardes going to DC, Columbus, or Vancouver. I hope y'all fan bases love hype and mediocre results. Who am I kidding, that's exactly what those 3 teams love.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Rumors have Zardes going to DC, Columbus, or Vancouver. I hope y'all fan bases love hype and mediocre results. Who am I kidding, that's exactly what those 3 teams love.

He's no jermaine jones but i guess he'd do

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/936716563121692672

This was the dude who showed the gently caress up at the USOC match vs. Chicago. Guzan's heir apparent, I presume.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Welp, guess we need a new right back.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This is one of the primary reasons that I think I’m so unenthused about it. I was all ready to go at the end of the season, but that was forever ago. I’ve been on two vacations since then.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

lol Even when your team is legit the worst team in the league you're still a smug bastard.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

:smug:

Tigren posted:

Welp, guess we need a new right back.

We're on the scouting trail already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Kilson posted:

Why did it take until now for bigsoccer/reddit to notice he falls down a lot

• Locked thread