Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I thought one of my benefits here was the employee stock purchase plan but it looks like I'm not allowed to participate, or maybe I just don't totally understand what MNPI stops me from doing. I'll figure it out in a few months.

Otherwise this place is the bees knees and corporate is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just whining here, but apparently some folks still haven't gotten the memo about not microwaving fish by now. Suggestions?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

JohnCompany posted:

Just whining here, but apparently some folks still haven't gotten the memo about not microwaving fish by now. Suggestions?

No jury will convict you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JohnCompany posted:

:murder:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Got moaned about by the other company we share a floorspace and a car park with.

I parked in the wrong kind of space. I parked in one of the spaces marked with a red dot and I should have parked in one with a red dot.

In the 20 mins that I was in a meeting, this became a major issue. Despite there being two more empty spaces with red dots next to my car.

I thought I was doing well by avoiding all the green, blue and yellow dots and using a red dot as required. Turns out that there are two kinds of red dot. Maybe I need to be checking the infrared spectrum?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

JohnCompany posted:

Microwave some silverware, you shouldn't have any more trouble with hot fish stink.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

JohnCompany posted:

Burn popcorn and then throw away the bag in their trash.

Also this:

Fil5000 posted:

Microwave some silverware, you shouldn't have any more trouble with hot fish stink.

Anthony Rapp
Mar 29, 2004
Blame it on Cain, don't blame it on me.
Grimey Drawer
Had a reply all avalanche with two cherries on top yesterday.

Guy forwards an invoice to a university diagnostic lab, asking for more information because he can't find any records on it. Instead of asking the lab directly, he somehow sent it to the university's mass mailing email address for every. single. client they have. My inbox went insane with reply alls from all over the country.

The second cherry? The original "invoice" was a phishing scam email.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anthony Rapp posted:

Guy forwards an invoice to a university diagnostic lab, asking for more information because he can't find any records on it. Instead of asking the lab directly, he somehow sent it to the university's mass mailing email address for every. single. client they have. My inbox went insane with reply alls from all over the country.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zil posted:

Burn popcorn and then throw away the bag in their trash.

Some rear end in a top hat did this today. I ended up going home early with a terrible headache.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Stop microwaving fish, then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Anthony Rapp posted:

Your mail-everyone aliases need ACLs my dude.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Has anything good ever been in an email that began with "Thank you for your patience"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hi thread I haven't bitched about my dumbass employer in a while so here's a couple recent developments-

--My most recent boss quit almost eight months and they still haven't hired a replacement. Talk of "we can handle the workload for now without the role being filled" (we can't) and "we want to be choosy and get someone with the credentials we want because the last guy's background didn't really gel with our industry" (a valid enough concern). In that time we've interviewed two people over the phone that I'm aware of. Last week we finally brought someone in for an interview...someone with the exact same background as my old boss, who quit because his background didn't fit the job. Eight months and your best shot is to re-hire the guy who only lasted one year?

--After a year of talk that we're moving everyone who's still in our old building, and assurances that my group would stay at our current site (where most of the people we regularly interact with are located), I was told today that the official plan is to move us to the main site 20 minutes further away where we don't know anyone. OR, they'll just keep the lease we have on our part of the building because that's a smart use of money. Note that I do not want to move at all because 1. my short-rear end commute is one of the few genuine perks of this job, and 2. my desk is situated such that no one can sneak up or sit behind me so I can get away with goofing off when I need to.

--Despite being the only person in our entire division who does my job functions, my current most-pressing project is to figure out the best way to keep track of the hundred emails we send to customers every day, because the VP I work under in the interim insists on playing Varys and being the focal point of all info that we send to customers and he can't keep track of it all.

Ugh, I need to get out of here ASAP because my career isn't going anywhere at this place, they have no idea what to do with my department and at this rate I'm just going to be someone's personal assistant by this time next year and not actually learning anything. The joy of contract manufacturing is that because you spend so much time fixing other people's problems, you're left with no time to address your own!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So my office showed our administrative assistant the door on Friday. She had been on some form of probation due to poor performance mostly related to her duties growing three fold over the last 8 years and then some health issues, probably related to her working 16 hour days to not get fired. Yet again my employer shows how much they care for 17 year veterans of this hellhole, anyways Do far firing her this has led too:

My prediction is her replacements will last 6-12 months then up and leave. Meanwhile we will have no office supplies or useful administrative support.

Apparently I failed by price is right rules, replacement apparently left two weeks ago, she lasted about a month.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Apparently I failed by price is right rules, replacement apparently left two weeks ago, she lasted about a month.

Management will take this as a sign that they didn't hire the right candidate. They will go through 3 or 4 of them before any self reflection kicks in.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Zil posted:

Management will take this as a sign that they didn't hire the right candidate. They will go through 3 or 4 of them before any self reflection kicks in.

I don't think management here is capable of self reflection.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I'm in day 4, I was supposed to have my first big boy task day 2 but we're still waiting for the files to be moved from a random folder to a designated Q4 folder by the team who technically owns them

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hoshi posted:

I'm in day 4, I was supposed to have my first big boy task day 2 but we're still waiting for the files to be moved from a random folder to a designated Q4 folder by the team who technically owns them

Enjoy this time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I don't think management here is capable of self reflection.

Seriously, the management selection and promotion process actively and aggressively selects against self reflection.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

No Butt Stuff posted:

Enjoy this time.

I'm using it to set up utilities etc at my new place and to look at the cost of laser eye surgery with my insurance

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Speaking of phishing, my company now has what I consider a brilliant thing:

They send out fake phishing emails, but instead of getting scammed or installing a virus, anyone who clicks on the links gets signed up for training on how to recognize phishing emails.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

High Lord Elbow posted:

They send out fake phishing emails, but instead of getting scammed or installing a virus, anyone who clicks on the links gets signed up for training on how to recognize phishing emails.

This is a thing you'll see when your company's IT department has some measure of control or at least is listened to by a decent subset of management, either directly or by proxy. Other signs of this include mailbox size limits smaller than the U.S. Library of Congress, and no automatic local admin privileges for the majority of users.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

This is amazing, I feel like a lot of trainings like this would be a good thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

My firm does something similar. They don’t sign us up for training, but route you to a big red screen professionally calling you an idiot for clicking on the link. The screen also has a TL:DR section for recognizing phishing emails.

Reporting emails to the spam center automatically enters you into a quarterly drawing for a $500 gift card, so there’s incentive to report things as well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sundae posted:

Basically just Tom Hanks at this point. Also, Mister Rogers maybe? (Please god, no Fred.)

If Fred Rogers gets accused, I feel like that’s the time to give up all hope in anything ever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If that happens we'll know that we've slipped off the Prime timeline to be Earth-14 or some other gimmick that only exists in order to be mercifully extinguished in a multiverse event.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ashcans posted:

If that happens we'll know that we've slipped off the Prime timeline to be Earth-14 or some other gimmick that only exists in order to be mercifully extinguished in a multiverse event.
At this point I'm not entirely unconvinced we aren't living in the Failed Timeline Dumping Ground universe.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

High Lord Elbow posted:

This is good, but better is firing employees who consistently click the spam email every time even after training.

Best is looking for such a list and harvesting their credentials via phishing to have them effectively fire themselves by aggressive emails to important people

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Volmarias posted:

This is good, but better is firing employees who consistently click the spam email every time even after training.

My last job was at a bank, and they did the fake phishing mails. It wasn't exactly stated as such, but the policy heavily implied that clicking too many times would have an adverse effect on your continued employment with the company.

In addition to that, if you clicked more than like three of them in a 90 day period, they'd put your network account in a penalty box. You could only visit approved websites, and if someone outside the company emailed you, any attachments would be stripped off before they got to you.

I imagine if the policy violation didn't get you fired, the restrictions would probably make your job difficult enough to do that they could fire you for poor performance.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Of course, then you have the related issue of vendors sending legit emails with no information other than "You have a new message on our Secure Email system. Click this link to access it."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If Fred Rogers gets accused, I feel like that’s the time to give up all hope in anything ever.

I seem to remember years ago there were rumors - later debunked - about him doing inappropriate things with kids.

Probably came from the same place as the tales of him being a former CIA assassin/Special Ops sniper or whatever.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sorry boss, i didnt have time to work on the M&A targets of up to a billion dollars on top of my regular workload that you dumped in my lap only a week ago.

Edit: meant completely unironically, except for the sorry

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 1, 2017

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Was asked to rush analysis a "high visibility" sample. Am I testing safety jackets now?

Also I don't care that the customer needs the sample asap, you should have sent it to me two weeks ago when your email chain asking if we should do this do. It's not my job to bail you out of your own problems.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

What the hell happened to Lockheed that they're not offering relo anymore?
Closing down several huge lines of business (commercial space in Pennsylvania, submarine ballistic missiles in Sunnyvale) while not really starting anything new has resulted in more engineers than jobs. Plus which those closures wound up costing about four times as much to handle as predicted, so they don't have a lot of money (turns out you can't just put a spaceship factory on a FedEx truck and mail it to Denver)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Also I don't care that the customer needs the sample asap, you should have sent it to me two weeks ago when your email chain asking if we should do this do. It's not my job to bail you out of your own problems.

"Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I got an email today saying that come next monday, all of our emails and instant messages are going to be archived and could be reviewed and/or sent outside the company. Although I honestly always thought it was strange they weren't already archiving everything, it does kind of suck that i can no longer use instant messaging to bitch about work constantly to my work-friends.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Welcome to the 21st century workforce, comrade!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm starting to think there is a scheme to cut staff in half by combining two departments here.

Here's the amazing part: not long ago, these departments were joined, in order to resolve a number of inefficiencies, after them being combined proved a disaster. Since the split, things got better but not perfect, so I think they are attempting perfection by returning to the days it was much further away...

edit: I'm brain-dead so I'm not sure if the above is a coherent sentence. Basically: two departments were together, then management decided to separate them, which helped things, but now since apparently it didn't help things enough they may want to return to the days they were combined perhaps as an opportunity to cut labor costs and magically fix everything?

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Combining departments is preparation for layoffs, there is nowhere else that ever leads.