Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dear equipment manufacturers: please make a loving half width pie cutter. 90% of the time my guests want a thinner slice. They end up eating more slices but they want to pretend they're watching their weight first. Thanks in advance.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
On to a really important topic ... butter dishes. I have 2, they suck. What I want is one that is big enough for a brick (1 lb) of butter, is dishwasher safe, has a flat top where you can set a butter knife, has a handle or textured sides so it isn't slippery if your hands are greasy, and is reasonably priced.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wormil posted:

On to a really important topic ... butter dishes. I have 2, they suck. What I want is one that is big enough for a brick (1 lb) of butter, is dishwasher safe, has a flat top where you can set a butter knife, has a handle or textured sides so it isn't slippery if your hands are greasy, and is reasonably priced.

I didn’t know I wanted that until just now.

Food processor opinions: as dishwasher-able as possible, good capacity, long-lasting, generally not sucky. Not especially price sensitive, but let’s not be ridiculous. As little bluetooth/wifi as possible. I have a blender for tasks better suited to that.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

wormil posted:

I just have a Costco tub of ghee I keep in my pantry. Need butter, spoon it out!

Never feel the need to store actual sticks of butter outside the fridge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve Yun posted:

Dear equipment manufacturers: please make a loving half width pie cutter. 90% of the time my guests want a thinner slice. They end up eating more slices but they want to pretend they're watching their weight first. Thanks in advance.

That is a half a slice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mom wants a 'big' crockpot for Christmas. Got her an 8 quart Hamilton beach for $30 on sale at Sears. Gonna be a piece of poo poo but mom don't care.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Food processor opinions: as dishwasher-able as possible, good capacity, long-lasting, generally not sucky. Not especially price sensitive, but let’s not be ridiculous. As little bluetooth/wifi as possible. I have a blender for tasks better suited to that.

Probably this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A...2B1L&ref=plSrch

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
What are your opinions on ice cream makers? Are the ones with compressors worth the money or should I just get one with a freezer bowl or two? I also was looking at the Kitchenaid attachment.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Subjunctive posted:

Just to provide the next option up from that Cuisinart (a great machine, you should probably just buy that one): Magimix 5200XL. The only issues I have are that the midi bowl is only useful for the grating/slicing discs, and the mini bowl doesn't seal perfectly with a lid (a silicone grommet would've fixed this; a little teflon tape around the rim of the bowl solves the problem entirely). Otherwise I am extremely satisfied with mine. I found a refurbished model, but the website that sold them no longer exists. Oh, and there's a 30 year warranty on the motor, with a 10 year warranty on the blades and 3 years (IIRC?) on the bowls.

e: or you could buy it from Williams-Sonoma, they're running a 15% special which will bring it down to $425.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Just to provide the next option up from that Cuisinart (a great machine, you should probably just buy that one): Magimix 5200XL. The only issues I have are that the midi bowl is only useful for the grating/slicing discs, and the mini bowl doesn't seal perfectly with a lid (a silicone grommet would've fixed this; a little teflon tape around the rim of the bowl solves the problem entirely). Otherwise I am extremely satisfied with mine. I found a refurbished model, but the website that sold them no longer exists. Oh, and there's a 30 year warranty on the motor, with a 10 year warranty on the blades and 3 years (IIRC?) on the bowls.

e: or you could buy it from Williams-Sonoma, they're running a 15% special which will bring it down to $425.

I was kind of apprehensive about getting one of these, but found a used one that looks new, has all the accessories as well as the fruit and vegetable juicer for around $350. I absolutely love it. I run into the same issues with the small bowl, but it's not a big deal. I'll try out the teflon tape though. Seriously if you can afford/justify the cost of one of these, grab it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For $100 bucks more you can get one that does continuous dicing like this Waring Commercial that shoots diced veg out the side:
https://www.amazon.com/Waring-Comme...7ST0F2HXBZESXJA

The Creature posted:

What are your opinions on ice cream makers? Are the ones with compressors worth the money or should I just get one with a freezer bowl or two? I also was looking at the Kitchenaid attachment.
Depends, are you going to make more than one batch at a time? I love that I can do three batches of ice cream in one night, but those nights are few and far between and powered ice cream makers are admittedly pretty pricey. I got lucky and bought an older model Delonghi for $160 on Woot (originally $400).

edit: oh, a bunch are coming down to about $200 these days:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJ6DRIW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UKLUFS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N8KD5M

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 30, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Not quite what you're asking for, but try using an offset spatula. Not an offset turner, but an actual spatula, the kind used for spreading batter, frosting cakes, and so on. You can find offset spatulas in a shitload of sizes and stiffnesses. Never used one for pie, but they're good for handling small/delicate baked goods in general.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Creature posted:

I used to have the Kitchenaid attachment. When it got to a point where the bowl needed resoldering, I upgraded to a Cuisinart with a compressor. I honestly liked the texture of the product from the Kitchenaid better, and it could handle some mix-ins that the Cuisinart doesn't (I used to like swirling peanut butter in, but the Cuisinart gets so cold it that it doesn't mix well), but I like having the freezer space back, and being able to make more batches when I want to. In practice I found that the Kitchenaid needs a day off between batches - the real cycle is freeze the bowl one day, make ice cream the next day, let it thaw and clean it the next day, and then start freezing again. That's fineif it's just me and my kid, not sufficient if I'm on dessert duty when my in-laws are in town. The Cuisinart can do a couple batches a night, if I can work that fast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Not quite what you're asking for, but try using an offset spatula. Not an offset turner, but an actual spatula, the kind used for spreading batter, frosting cakes, and so on. You can find offset spatulas in a shitload of sizes and stiffnesses. Never used one for pie, but they're good for handling small/delicate baked goods in general.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Why not just remove two half-width slices at once, plate them, then just start removing single half-width slices from then on?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think I'm going to buy the Cuisinart ice cream maker as a family gift. My wife will love/hate me at the same time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wormil posted:

We've always just left the butter in it's factory wrapping, just keep on rewrapping until it's finished. And a swedish cheese slicer for the butter, just drag it along the top of the cold butter and you'll wonder why you ever used the butter knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

His Divine Shadow posted:

We've always just left the butter in it's factory wrapping, just keep on rewrapping until it's finished. And a swedish cheese slicer for the butter, just drag it along the top of the cold butter and you'll wonder why you ever used the butter knife.

You need a good butter dish. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The one I bought for $15 isn't available on Amazon any more, but I use a butter bell. The layer of water outside the butter keeps it fresh and clean, it fits a stick of butter (not a pound, but good enough - just keep one defrosting, it needs to be soft to go in) and it keeps your butter at room temperature. You have a way better angle of attack than a covered butter dish - you're holding a cup of butter by its base, so you can get whatever size scoops or spreads you want. I also have a jar of ghee in the cupboard, but sometimes I want butter instead. Ceramic ones work too, but I've read that the cheaper ones craze easily and can harbor oils that go rancid and make all of the butter in your dish taste bad, no matter how well you wash it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Costco has a Foodsaver vacuum sealer on sale, has anyone had any experiences with the FM2000? Toying with the idea of getting one to freeze foods bought in bulk and sous vide cooking. https://m.costco.ca/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealing-System-with-2-Bonus-Rolls.proWereduct.100363106.html

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Costco has a Foodsaver vacuum sealer on sale, has anyone had any experiences with the FM2000? Toying with the idea of getting one to freeze foods bought in bulk and sous vide cooking. https://m.costco.ca/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealing-System-with-2-Bonus-Rolls.proWereduct.100363106.html

Looks like the upgraded version of the one I have, and I love mine. Does what it needs to do! The bags/foodsaver rolls go on sale all the time too.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

For $100 bucks more you can get one that does continuous dicing like this Waring Commercial that shoots diced veg out the side:
https://www.amazon.com/Waring-Comme...7ST0F2HXBZESXJA

Depends, are you going to make more than one batch at a time? I love that I can do three batches of ice cream in one night, but those nights are few and far between and powered ice cream makers are admittedly pretty pricey. I got lucky and bought an older model Delonghi for $160 on Woot (originally $400).

edit: oh, a bunch are coming down to about $200 these days:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJ6DRIW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UKLUFS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N8KD5M

More than one batch at a time isn’t going to be often but it would be nice. Thanks for the links, these are exactly what I’m looking for in my price range. I just need to decide which one now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Looks like the upgraded version of the one I have, and I love mine. Does what it needs to do! The bags/foodsaver rolls go on sale all the time too.

Buy generic bag rolls on Amazon they're waaaaaay cheaper

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Creature posted:

More than one batch at a time isn’t going to be often but it would be nice. Thanks for the links, these are exactly what I’m looking for in my price range. I just need to decide which one now.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

Wirecutter recommends the Whynter and says the Cuisinart and Ariete didn't do so well

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My scratch and dent sale All-clads came yesterday. You have to hold em up to the light and maneuver it around to find the imperfection.

Good deal, ended up about 30% less than the same items during Amazons Black Friday sale.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

Wirecutter recommends the Whynter and says the Cuisinart and Ariete didn't do so well

I have the Breville Smart Scoop that was the runner up on that list and can confirm that it makes great ice cream. I would definitely go with an ice cream maker that has a built-in compressor if you can afford one. The one's with the base that you have to put in the freezer overnight can be pretty finicky in my experience. You need to get them REALLY cold, or they won't be able to get the ice cream base cold enough.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the book "Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home". She formulated her recipes to work in home ice cream makers and the recipes are excellent.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Cool, thanks. I've read some comments about it not sealing properly, maybe not heating or pressing strong enough. Any issues with that?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Cool, thanks. I've read some comments about it not sealing properly, maybe not heating or pressing strong enough. Any issues with that?

When I switched from the long roll of sealing bag material where you had to seal both ends to make a bag to the pre made bags I had zero trouble with it not sealing, so I think people were not sealing their bags properly at the “bottom” when they went the DIY route. Folding the top of the bag over before putting stuff in to keep the lip clean helps a lot too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This is kind of a long shot to ask here, but I can't seem to find the right combination of search terms for google. I need a thin mat that I can put on my kitchen counter that won't slide around and is also smooth on top (so a suction cup will hold on it). Dishwasher safe would be a plus.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

This is kind of a long shot to ask here, but I can't seem to find the right combination of search terms for google. I need a thin mat that I can put on my kitchen counter that won't slide around and is also smooth on top (so a suction cup will hold on it). Dishwasher safe would be a plus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glass-Kitc...+chopping+board

I have something like this, but bigger. It's got rubber feet on each corner that prevent it from sliding around. I don't use it as a chopping board, though. I just keep it by the stove so any oil splatter lands on it instead of the counter, makes cleanup way easier. It's a flat, smooth glass surface so you could suction cup onto it easily. I'm pretty sure it's dishwasher safe too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Try a silicone pad for baking or a plastic cutting board laid on top of a wet paper towel. Neither of these are permanent solutions, for what it’s worth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dutch oven field report:

The local Le Creuset outlet was blowing out pinks for half off ($157 from $314 for a 5.5qt) so I picked one up for a friend. Here it is next to my 5qt Staub.

It appears to be the same thickness as my Staub. The Le Creuset has a light colored interior which makes it easier to see scorching food particles during fry sessions.

The edges of the base are rounder than on my Staub, so it might be easier to stir things and keep them from scorching in the corners, hypothetically, although the Le Creuset has a smaller base and a more pronounced "step" between the base and the side, which might negate any anti-scorching advantage on the corners.

The lid is domed and smooth, while mine is flat and spiked to encourage moisture condensation back onto the food (the efficacy of this is debatable). The top side of the Staub's lid might've been designed to let you put ice on the lid and brute force moisture back onto your food, but that seems like a stupid idea. Le Creuset also tried their hand at something similar but nobody cared for it.

All in all I think both are just overpriced and you should just get a Lodge or Wolfgang Puck or Cuisinart one from the local TJ Maxx or Homegoods for $50

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 5, 2017

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I got my fourth of four All-Clad seconds. Seems that the only issue with them was the copper ring wasn’t filled in entirely. They’re gorgeous otherwise.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Edit: Was wrong about the lid shape on that Staub and Le Creuset; they are for ice on indoor dutch ovens.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 5, 2017

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Steve Yun posted:

All in all I think both are just overpriced and you should just get a Lodge or Wolfgang Puck or Cuisinart one from the local TJ Maxx or Homegoods.

My Lodge works fine, and serves as an impromptu wok on my lovely electric stove. No wok hai, but between heat retention and almost decent burners I can get a good temp going ,and keep it. I DO wish the bottom wasn't quite as rounded, for heating efficiency.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Vitamix update- Got a new 5300 for early Christmas to make Thanksgiving things, and when you turn the knob down to lowest setting it does indeed stutter for a sec before resuming. Don't remember if that's the same as the old models, but doesn't seem to affect operation otherwise.

The wider container does indeed work just like the regular one for all practical purposes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mine is a refurb and it does that

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I managed to find an electric kettle at a tea shop that is adjustable and only cost $50, but it doesn’t have numbers. It has a dial with notches, and specific markings for black teas (boiling) and green tea, but you can adjust between the two depending on your preference. It’s some random brand but I love it to death, haven’t had a single problem with it after religious usage for almost two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I get steak knives, should I get them with black handles to match my kitchen knives or all steel to match my silverware or not even get steak knives to begin with