Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rez has been completely and thoroughly obsoleted by Rez Infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Negrostrike posted:

I just hope I have the same degree of success burning ISOs for it as I had with the Saturn.

I never struggled to burn DC or Saturn. However, things get dicey when burning Sega CD or PCE/TG16 stuff because of the architecture at the time. That's when you've gotta break out the good poo poo (low speed burner, taiyo yuden or whatever they're called, that sorta stuff).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

just lmao if you don't have a 4x SCSI matsushita burner on a windows 98 machine with CDRwin

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I've had equal good luck with Taiyo Yuden (if CMC hasn't ruined them yet) and Verbatim DataLifePlus on all my systems ranging from Duo-R to Saturn/Dreamcast. A big problem is that 90% of the CD-Rs out there now are crummy cyanine dyed ones.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've been burning ps1, Saturn, dreamcast, tgcd, and Sega CD games for the past year, at least 300 discs this year, and I just use cheap Memorex discs from target and a $20 LG usb burner at max speed (variable macinf at 20x) and have burned maybe 10 discs that didn't work and most of those were bad images that burned fine when I downloaded a different image. It's not that complicated.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I actually have the most trouble with Saturn games and none for other systems, but I think my Saturn laser is just dying in general. My CDX and Dreamcast play basically anything I've thrown at them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rez has been completely and thoroughly obsoleted by Rez Infinite.

Buddy, if you're trying to make sound arguements about purchases you came to the wrong thread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't follow these things closely. Is the sd card thing for saturn not available yet?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

rez infinite also in wrong aspect ratio :rgb:

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 1, 2017

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

GutBomb posted:

The cheapo VGA cables suck anyway. It's doesn't do everything a VGA box does.

Is "suck" a relative term here? I have the cheapo VGA cables and I've been happy with how it looks. It's a noticeable improvement over composite, and I just have a hard time justifying the expense and time getting everything together for a VGA box. I've watched some videos on youtube about different options and set ups, and it looks fun/interesting in an abstract way, but it isn't cheap. I'm actually more willing to go the RGB/upscaler route with the Saturn because Panzer Dragoon Saga deserves to be viewed in a way that isn't composite.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 1, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
By component do you mean composite? Composite is the yellow cable and component is 3 cables, red green and blue (but not rgb, that's something else)

The VGA cables for dreamcast are indeed better than composite but the box is better for 2 reasons. The cables are cheaply made and there's signal cross-talk which muddied up the picture, and the box also has composite and s-video out so you can play games that don't work with VGA without having to switch cables.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 1, 2017

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I always do that, yes I mean composite.

Aren't the vast majority of the games compatible with VGA? I don't think I've had a problem with any of my games, and I think you can "force" some of the games that aren't compatible to work. I guess I would recommend to a new to the Dreamcast to go with the cheap VGA cord until they get a better handle on what they want from the system. If you're only going to play it for a couple of hours a couple times of year, then no sense spending serious cash when the $10 cords will do just fine.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
My experience has been the opposite of most everyone else. Dreamcast can be tricky because the disk images usually use every last bit on the CD (or more if you're getting fancy oversized ISOs) so they have issues with iffy disks. Saturn disks are a nightmare for some reason. I think that a lot of it is iffy disk images, but I had to go through a bunch of write software before finding one that would even try to write the things, let alone do it successfully. imgburn seems to work okay most of the time for me, though I'm sure Alcohol is better at it.

As for the Sega CD, I've never had trouble getting mine to read burned disks so long as they're written at lower speeds. The one catch I run into is that a couple of games (Snatcher and one of the Lunars) seem to have their audio track start times a hair off, which could just be down to crappy old bin/cue files.

yes I'm almost entirely a Sega nerd. at least it's cheaper than Nintendo stuff I guess? :unsmith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The one catch I run into is that a couple of games (Snatcher and one of the Lunars) seem to have their audio track start times a hair off, which could just be down to crappy old bin/cue files.

This could be other things too I think, like your Sega CD maybe getting a bit long in the tooth and not getting going as fast as it should.

Reminds me of how this was a common problem with LOOM on PC CD-ROM, where ALL audio in the game (all dialogue, music, sound effects etc.) is on a single redbook track that the game just seeks to the right second and starts playing, but due to all sorts of factors things would often be slightly mis-timed (like you'd catch a tiny bit of dialogue at the beginning of a sound effect) or out of sync with what was happening on screen.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Tree Dude posted:

while we're talking Dreamcast I'll add that I'm counting on y'all to let me know as soon as GDEMU is available for preorder again

Unless there is some alternate/better way to have all the DC games in one place ready to play.

Check out the USB gdrom. I have it hooked up to a tiny 500gb external ssd and it works great. Have the full game library on it and never have to even open the lid (well except when playing 2 disc games).

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I actually have the most trouble with Saturn games and none for other systems, but I think my Saturn laser is just dying in general. My CDX and Dreamcast play basically anything I've thrown at them.
Burned disks are the first to go when the laser is failing. If you're feeling saucy, you could turn up the laser to compensate, there's a little potentiometer that has an orange dial with a + and -, give it a little more juice and you can extend the life while you find a new laser. If it still plays retail games, I wouldn't gently caress with it personally.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

beaver_cheese posted:

Check out the USB gdrom. I have it hooked up to a tiny 500gb external ssd and it works great. Have the full game library on it and never have to even open the lid (well except when playing 2 disc games).

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

Wasn't this the thing that goons in this thread said read/played games extremely slow?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Doc Morbid posted:

I just finished softmodding my original Xbox, and obviously I'm going to need a component cable for 480p/720p stuff now that my PAL Xbox should finally support it. The official MS component cable is presumably one of the best ones but is a bit expensive, are there any cheaper cables that aren't complete poo poo?

Be careful if you used one of those old Live safe softmods with a shadow C partition. If you set one of those up then you need to boot to the non-shadow C: to change the video mode.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

SpitztheGreat posted:

Aren't the vast majority of the games compatible with VGA? I don't think I've had a problem with any of my games, and I think you can "force" some of the games that aren't compatible to work.

The only game in my collection that isn't VGA compatible (and can't be tricked into working) is Bangai-O. :argh:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cliche Guevara posted:

Wasn't this the thing that goons in this thread said read/played games extremely slow?

I believe you're thinking of the Dreamcast loading device that worked over the console's serial port. That one would be slower, since the serial port has slow transfer speeds.

The one beaver_cheese is using seems to be a swap board that replaces the GD-ROM drive with a USB storage host that can read ISOs and the like. So it should be a lot faster.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

My COOOOOOOOL Pad have arrived finally.

Should I really get an Action Replay cartridge if my Saturn is already modded for region switching and I'm not too interested in arcade ports?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

Should I really get an Action Replay cartridge if my Saturn is already modded for region switching and I'm not too interested in arcade ports?

code:
This
  is
  COOL

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I feel like you should have two dreamcasts; one hooked up via normal RGB to your CRT of choice for 15khz/240p stuff (or stuff that just looks worse in VGA, like 31khz 2D games), and the other hooked to a VGA monitor for everything else. I actually don't take my own advice though, I only have one dreamcast and it's always going to a normal PVM through RGB. I keep meaning to do a VGA setup, and I even have a VGA box (some noname brand I got years ago) and a nice big NEC flat CRT monitor, but I don't have the space to do this :(

Really I'm backwards though, if you only have one DC setup to pick from it should be VGA. The vast majority of good DC games are 31khz 3D games, which is where VGA shines

edit:

UNRELATED PSA

if you have a CRT with an easily accessible focus pot that you've never touched and don't think your picture can get any better, give it a shot anyway. decided to play with it on the NAC even though the picture looked "fine" and it turns out it was pretty out of focus, I just underestimated how sharp the toshiba tubes in these things could get. I also did it with my 20M2MDU when I first got it and there were some gainz there too, though not as dramatic

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 1, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

GutBomb posted:

I've been burning ps1, Saturn, dreamcast, tgcd, and Sega CD games for the past year, at least 300 discs this year, and I just use cheap Memorex discs from target and a $20 LG usb burner at max speed (variable macinf at 20x) and have burned maybe 10 discs that didn't work and most of those were bad images that burned fine when I downloaded a different image. It's not that complicated.
This just means that the lasers on your systems are fine, so you're lucky.

My Turbo Duo and Sega CDs were sketch until I got the better media, so it's definitely a legit issue.

On another Dreamcast topic, don't forget that some of the fighters have a secret button combo to press while powering up system to force them to 240p mode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

falz posted:

This just means that the lasers on your systems are fine, so you're lucky.

My Turbo Duo and Sega CDs were sketch until I got the better media, so it's definitely a legit issue.

On another Dreamcast topic, don't forget that some of the fighters have a secret button combo to press while powering up system to force them to 240p mode.

Probably. Now that you mention it I do remember having trouble with the dreamcast when I first got it but I turned up the pot for the laser and that worked. Didn't have to tweak any of the others.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If your systems are struggling to read CD-Rs, try switching up the media before adjusting the laser pot. If the laser's degraded, cranking the pot will hasten its eventual failure.

I like CMC Pro. I went from having intermittent issues with a couple of my systems to none when I switched.

They sell via Amazon as well, but http://mediasupply.com seems to take media quality seriously.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Negrostrike posted:

Get the 4 in 1. The extra save ram is a huge plus and having access to AR cheats if you run into copy protection or just plain old suck is a plus. Plus they are cheap, so there isn't a good reason not to have one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Negrostrike posted:

A better question would be - why would you get a Saturn at all if you don't like arcade games? :psyduck:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, the Neo Geo and CPS2 ones I can play just fine on an emulator and avoid loading times. Those are the ones that require RAM expansion. I pretty much burned all the games I wanted so far.
But nevertheless I might get an Action Replay soon enough at least to backup my saves.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

If you want to not pay for games you should

e: nevermind you said you're already burning games, so you must have a mod chip that does more than a region mod. if all you need it for is the cheating/RAM expansion and you don't use your saturn for fighters than no don't worry about an action replay

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone want to comment on the controversy over whether some games on the Saturn run better on a 1 meg cart rather than a 4 meg cart?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

I feel like you should have two dreamcasts; one hooked up via normal RGB to your CRT of choice for 15khz/240p stuff (or stuff that just looks worse in VGA, like 31khz 2D games), and the other hooked to a VGA monitor for everything else. I actually don't take my own advice though, I only have one dreamcast and it's always going to a normal PVM through RGB. I keep meaning to do a VGA setup, and I even have a VGA box (some noname brand I got years ago) and a nice big NEC flat CRT monitor, but I don't have the space to do this :(

Really I'm backwards though, if you only have one DC setup to pick from it should be VGA. The vast majority of good DC games are 31khz 3D games, which is where VGA shines

Screw that. Dreamcast on 15khz tv, naomi netboot on vga :retrogames:

In other news my new saturn is modded and now I have two modded white saturns so I should probably sell one.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone want to comment on the controversy over whether some games on the Saturn run better on a 1 meg cart rather than a 4 meg cart?

On the original carts most definitely. The 1 meg cart had better, faster ram than the 4 meg one. If you have a Action Replay made within the last 15 years it will trounce either of the original carts or a vintage AR since modern ram is way, way faster than either.

Now this has nothing to do with the ROM carts that came with a couple of games. I am kind of surprised no one has come up with a more modern Action Replay solution that has support for those.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A tiny handful of games don't work correctly on the Action Replay or a legit 4MB cart because they weren't programmed to run on them, but it's only some situations that trigger it. Metal Slug and the Samurai Shodown ports will explode into glitchy graphics sometimes in the demo reel for example.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_bWybAn08

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Cliche Guevara posted:

No speed issues with this at all. I haven’t done a head to head load time test, but it seems like games load faster from the ssd than from disc, which makes sense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm probably going to buy this because I'm a gigantic loser who left his PS2 on a lot to fall asleep to those soothing waves.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The appropriate thing to do now is for someone to make a theme that looks like the PSX CD player screen and blesses us with the one true voice of god: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxUScfOQwg

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The PS1 Anniversary theme already features that startup jingle, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
unfortunately the rest of the theme is annoying though