Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to bring forth a misunderstanding. It was, as you mention, a simple observation about situations I've become acquainted while working on the industry. It's also funny that I've picked up some odd stories along these 10 years. Like almost every story I've heard about Sugita being the biggest bro (and that isn't "public knowledge" already) has been through common friends, acquaintances or people he's helped because the dude just refuses to make a big deal and that "well, it's a thing that you should do". Or how Ken Narita made the wager with Jun Fukuyama about the Code Geass spoilers Fukuyama published on 2ch.

tl;dr The anime industry (and its periphery) is weird sometimes.
It's fine it's fine. Sometimes I wonder how positive the inclusion of netflix into the industry will impact business in the long-run. I wonder if Code Geass R3 will have leaks. Or if Toei finally eats poo poo.
(Finally a real anime conversation after a while. Wanna PM?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

This isn't some competitive poetry show, I'm pretty sure re:zero is getting a sequel.
Also this. Like, it'd be stupid if Media Factory/Kadokawa didn't seize the opportunity if sales (either BD/DVD or the Novels) were good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this week's Boruto was a really strong ep, despite being kind of a breather between arcs. it built out what education and the job market looks like in ninja peacetime in a way that was weirdly resonant with some aspects of the ~millennial experience~ despite all the kids being like 12 and ostensibly graduating from grade school. it also hits the nostalgia angle hard with kakashi and orochimaru showing up and the next ep preview showing their graduation exam taking place in the Forest of Death, the same place where Naruto and co were fighting it out around this same point in the previous series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

It's fine it's fine. Sometimes I wonder how positive the inclusion of netflix into the industry will impact business in the long-run. I wonder if Code Geass R3 will have leaks. Or if Toei finally eats poo poo.
Oh hey, Netflix, that old chestnut. If the thread for the Kakegurui anime hasn't been archived, you can still find my dumb opinions/impressions as a former employee on the way they handle things wrt simulcasting/original content. The thing about places like Netflix or Amazon is that I think they would absolutely be massive game-changers if they decided to just change things a little bit on different regards (what changes need to be made varies between companies, location and a few other things). How much of that necessary change is their fault and how much is the fault of certain Japanese companies being set in their rear end-backwards ways concerning a bunch of different things is an exercise better left to a different thread, perhaps.

Don't have PM, unfortunately. :(

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Finally a real anime conversation after a while. Wanna PM?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

Finally a real anime conversation after a while. Wanna PM?

hell yeah lets Post aniMe

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
how much fujobait is there in the ninja dad show?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Oh hey, Netflix, that old chestnut. If the thread for the Kakegurui anime hasn't been archived, you can still find my dumb opinions/impressions as a former employee on the way they handle things wrt simulcasting/original content. The thing about places like Netflix or Amazon is that I think they would absolutely be massive game-changers if they decided to just change things a little bit on different regards (what changes need to be made varies between companies, location and a few other things). How much of that necessary change is their fault and how much is the fault of certain Japanese companies being set in their rear end-backwards ways concerning a bunch of different things is an exercise better left to a different thread, perhaps.

This sort of industry talk and scuttlebutt is fascinating to me! I wouldn't have anything to contribute but I would love to read such a thread.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eela6 posted:

This sort of industry talk and scuttlebutt is fascinating to me! I wouldn't have anything to contribute but I would love to read such a thread.

Maybe someone should start the Anime Industry thread then?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Don't have PM, unfortunately. :(

This is very interesting and I would love to hear more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/936469975614685184

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the fu-

Back Street Girls Anime Announced

quote:

“A group of 3 yakuza failed their boss for the last time. After messing up an important job, the boss gave them 2 choices: Honorably committing suicide, or go to Thailand to get a sex reassignment surgery in order to become “female” idols. After a gruesome year long training to become idols, they successfully debut, with overwhelming popularity, much to their dismay. This is where their tragedy truly begins.“

WHAT THE gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okuyasu makes a good Joker.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanna know why Gorilla Grodd is working with Batman

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i wanna see batman isekai

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Law Cheetah posted:

i wanna see batman isekai

Batman Erasawarudo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So like Batamn himself gets reincarnated in JRPG world or the random schmoe of the day decides his broken rear end cheat power will be 'is Batman.'

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Grouchio posted:

What the fu-

WHAT THE gently caress

Backstreet's back, alright!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grouchio posted:

What the fu-

WHAT THE gently caress

That...

Uh.

Ok, if you hack off the whole sex-change bit, it's a lot like The Producers in terms of "we hosed up trying to gently caress up".

But the fact that you can't separate the two leaves an absolutely terrible taste in my mouth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wanna know why Gorilla Grodd is working with Batman

Could be the Ultra-Humanite. He’s a slightly classier act.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

Sefal posted:

This is very interesting and I would love to hear more.
Sure

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe someone should start the Anime Industry thread then?
I've grown increasingly busy (against my original expectations, even! :xd:) nowadays, but if I have time, I'll definitely whip up a thread for this. :)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Lmao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

You became friends with Yosuke. Yosuke will now DIE FOR YOU.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

If this could be reciprocal, I'd like to see a popular japanese anime character transported to gotham city.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freakazoid_ posted:

If this could be reciprocal, I'd like to see a popular japanese anime character transported to gotham city.

Batman gets captured in Arkham Asylum and the only people who can save him from that den of madmen are the students of Totsuki Culinary Academy. They have to prepare meals to satisfy the unique tastes of each of the villains.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The next arc of Sword Art Online takes place in DC Universe Online.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Batman gets captured in Arkham Asylum and the only people who can save him from that den of madmen are the students of Totsuki Culinary Academy. They have to prepare meals to satisfy the unique tastes of each of the villains.
With Frank Miller writing it!

:suicide:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGw4SmxkryU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

garo had a really lovely road trip episode this week

https://my.mixtape.moe/awbjcy.mp4

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Srsly for something Mature and Dark and Adult, Garo sure is chill and empathetic when it feels like it.

Like a typical show would have all the bystanders deserving of their fate to be eaten by demon. This was a stereotype that Divine Flame indulged in, where the magic knights who protected everyone from being eaten had been genocided earlier at the hands of the public. Vanishing Line leans towards that in its opening minutes, then immediately swings around goes into the opposite direction. The cops aren't abusive, the firemen are trying to help, the nun tries to impart wisdom, the restaurant staff go all out trying to protect the city, it's remarkably un-cynical.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/937071643125583872

For what purpose?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Natsuki Subaru?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some details on the Macross Delta movie

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-03/macross-delta-film-teaser-visual-reveal-armored-fighter-variant/.124792

There's a short PV too, but it's not available in the US.

Basically: recut into a new more focused story, enhanced fight scenes, some new stuff (including a new Valk), at least one new song

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd sure be nice if the movies salvaged delta.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, it's gonna be multiple movies like Frontier or is it gonna be the one?

... poo poo, I don't even remember Macross Frontier Anymore. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Wait, it's gonna be multiple movies like Frontier or is it gonna be the one?

... poo poo, I don't even remember Macross Frontier Anymore. :(

They've only mentioned the one so far, if it can capture the brilliant heights of the beginning of the series and avoid the mediocre way it ended up i'll be pretty excited. Frontier is strange for me because each version has things i like more than in the other, so they kind of exist in a stranger juxtaposition in my head.

In other news a Gunsmith Cats on bluray kickstarter just started. will be starting soon
https://twitter.com/AnimEigo/status/937337253453533184

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really if they ditch like all of the second half they could condense it down to a single movie.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

animeigo huh. wonder how many dumbass tl notes will get put in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So, uh, what is the cosmology of Yuki Yuna? Like the world they live in is like a tiny bubble world on the surface of a roiling sea of chaos, what gives? Did Amaterasu return and bathe reality into the sun, and is Shinjyu merely one of the gods that allowed some humans to live and give worship?

I mean, one of the thing they sorta get across the unreality of Shikoku, the place is barely populated, streets lie clean and empty, like there was a great war that scoured the population.

I think this is why I can forgive the show for peppering it with Togo's wacky nationalism. She's not very bright, she immediately tries to kill her god when she feels betrayed, and then respond with horrendous guilt over her actions. Oh, and all terrifying monsters are actually their fellow nihonjin, and come over the bridge from Honshu.

• Locked thread