Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would pump the brakes on the Leach stuff for now. It could still happen, and from rumors is that Leach would take it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21625326/mike-leach-washington-state-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy

I am not sure what is going on right now in Tennessee. Lots of rumors that the athletic department is in some form of a revolt, and Currie could be fired soon. I hope this isn't true, because if so that means Leach will not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I have preferred Mike Leach over Butch Jones literally every day since Derek Dooley was fired. I'm going to quit following this story and assume we will hire him and not gently caress it up.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Obviously Tennessee is a much better job destination, but I’m upset Arkansas didn’t even pick up the phone and give Leach a call. For whatever reason, he was the betting favorite when things opened up and he’s complimented War Memorial Stadium which the LR boosters loved I’m sure. How we didn’t even call him to get told “nah” is silly to me.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Mike Leach was supposed to be Georgia Tech's savior.

If this happens, I think I found a new SEC team to root for.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also on local radio this morning they said Mike Norvelll didn't make it pass the vetting process for Tennessee and good chance Arkansas has no interest for same reason. He believes that there is an issue that came to light and Norvell will not be leaving Memphis at this time. He did say he heard from someone in the Memphis program, and also that it is just hearsay at this time. So who knows, but it would explain why his name has not come up for Tennessee.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

nate fisher posted:

Also on local radio this morning they said Mike Norvelll didn't make it pass the vetting process for Tennessee and good chance Arkansas has no interest for same reason. He believes that there is an issue that came to light and Norvell will not be leaving Memphis at this time.

The word that’s been floating around here is a gambling addiction possibly ruling him out. Most of the reaction to that has been “who cares, that’s not related to him coaching” :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

chaoslord posted:

Obviously Tennessee is a much better job destination, but I’m upset Arkansas didn’t even pick up the phone and give Leach a call. For whatever reason, he was the betting favorite when things opened up and he’s complimented War Memorial Stadium which the LR boosters loved I’m sure. How we didn’t even call him to get told “nah” is silly to me.

Arkansas needs an AD first.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Not that there's any substance to how Leach got fired at Tech, but it's pretty funny how Tennessee got scared of hiring a guy because he witnessed and didn't report abuse of kids, so they're hiring a coach who allegedly abused his players.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My grandad always said, "you can put a 20 year old in a shed, but you can't strand an 11 year old in a shower. I don't know where the line falls exactly, but it's somewhere between those two points."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I would pump the brakes on the Leach stuff for now. It could still happen, and from rumors is that Leach would take it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21625326/mike-leach-washington-state-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy

I am not sure what is going on right now in Tennessee. Lots of rumors that the athletic department is in some form of a revolt, and Currie could be fired soon. I hope this isn't true, because if so that means Leach will not happen.

I think (or hope) what’s happened is that he and Leach had a conversation that went well (per Feldman who also broke the news when Butch was hired and co authored Leach’s book). They probably have some sort of agreement and Currie is going back to Knoxville to confirm it with Bev (chancellor who possibly shot down the Brohm deal).

I’m hoping he’s learned from all the previous stuff and is taking this “slow” to get all the parts right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

Not that there's any substance to how Leach got fired at Tech, but it's pretty funny how Tennessee got scared of hiring a guy because he witnessed and didn't report abuse of kids, so they're hiring a coach who allegedly abused his players.

So did Butch (allegedly) so at least we’re consistent.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Probably Magic posted:

I'm as much V:lol:s as anybody here, but uh those accusations aren't remotely comparable. An adult being stuck in a shed a while is not, you know, child rape.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think (or hope) what’s happened is that he and Leach had a conversation that went well (per Feldman who also broke the news when Butch was hired and co authored Leach’s book). They probably have some sort of agreement and Currie is going back to Knoxville to confirm it with Bev (chancellor who possibly shot down the Brohm deal).

I’m hoping he’s learned from all the previous stuff and is taking this “slow” to get all the parts right.

Hope you are right. He might not win the SEC, but it will be fun.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/clowespn/status/936599413656641536

BOYYYYYY DAVENPORT IF YOU gently caress THIS UP

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i am shocked

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:munch:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

sean10mm posted:

I'm as much V:lol:s as anybody here, but uh those accusations aren't remotely comparable. An adult being stuck in a shed a while is not, you know, child rape.

Missing the point, which is that after Schiano, you'd think Tennessee would make "no blemishes whatsoever" a priority. Then again, Penn State hired Franklin so maybe that's not a real thing.

E: Never mind, Vols are hosed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From what I can tell they did actually meet but there was never an offer put forward

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so who are some grad transfer options who could run the Air Raid because there sure as gently caress isn't anyone in Knoxville already who's going to

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

sean10mm posted:

The shed in question was air conditioned and had an Ice machine. It was a NICE shed. Hell I'd be honored to get locked up (this part wasn't true, the "victim" just had a intern or something watching him to make sure he did some pushups or something) in such a nice shed.

Lock me up Mike Leach

MLWFBCJ

(Mike leach was framed by Craig James)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
There was a rumor from an insider (the only reason I believe it now is because it was posted before the Leach interview came out). He said yesterday that Currie was in LA interviewing Leach. That turned out to be true. The guy later posted that Currie wanted to close the deal, but he was told to come back home. He also said that there is a faction of the athletic department that might not only end up sabotaging the deal, but will not stop until Currie is fired. Also that Fulmer might end up as AD.

Now this

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/01/mike-leach-tennessee-football-coach

It looks like that last rumor might be true. I hope they get this unfucked today, before it is too late.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

so who are some grad transfer options who could run the Air Raid because there sure as gently caress isn't anyone in Knoxville already who's going to

why not? the whole point of running the air raid is that it makes things easier on less talented QBs. Tech was putting up big points with a QB who was like fifth string at Iowa.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nate fisher posted:

There was a rumor from an insider (the only reason I believe it now is because it was posted before the Leach interview came out). He said yesterday that Currie was in LA interviewing Leach. That turned out to be true. The guy later posted that Currie wanted to close the deal, but he was told to come back home. He also said that there is a faction of the athletic department that might not only end up sabotaging the deal, but will not stop until Currie is fired. Also that Fulmer might end up as AD.

Now this

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/01/mike-leach-tennessee-football-coach

It looks like that last rumor might be true. I hope they get this unfucked today, before it is too late.

this is unbelievable. i've never been so engrossed in a coaching search. it's absolutely more entertaining than all the football all season

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Works for Knoxville CBS affiliate

https://twitter.com/ChynnaGreene/status/936604759020195840

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahaha

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rofl

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Now this

This makes me feel like Currie may not be as dumb as we think. Yeah this whole thing has been a mess but Schiano was Haslams guy 100% and it seems like since then Currie has been meeting with coaches that are more in line with what the fan base expects. We don’t know the Brohm story in full yet but his buyout was 5mil which was supposed to be the problem but apparently Doeren’s buyout was 5 mil too but he turned us down. So Brohm’s buyout being too high doesn’t make much sense.

Of course this could all just be Currie went and had the talk with Leach, got his terms and is taking them back to Bev to confirm everything to make an official offer so everyone is on the same page. Wishful thinking probably.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

God bless us, every one

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Already deleted, what did it say?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Freshwater posted:

Already deleted, what did it say?

that currie got fired

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I didn't realize Currie had only been there since March.

He had the easiest decision ever to fire Butch Jones. This coaching search is like the only thing he's actually done as far as I can tell, and it got him fired.

e: may get him fired rather since the tweet is gone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
this is prolly the strangest thing since richrod left wvu

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
https://twitter.com/ChynnaGreene/status/936607611545444355

looks like it was revised

lmao this loving rules

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Got tweeted again for what it's worth. May have just been a typo in the original tweet

edit: well there it is in the previous post, no reason to repost it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Haaaaaaaa I’ll believe it when UT’s website puts it out. Hire Fulmer, Hire Leach, Go Vols

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That's a solid revision there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

waffle posted:

Got tweeted again for what it's worth. May have just been a typo in the original tweet

https://twitter.com/ChynnaGreene/status/936607611545444355

Yup, original tweet just said "he was fired". This tacked on how long he had a job :laffo:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

iospace posted:

Yup, original tweet just said "he was fired". This tacked on how long he had a job :laffo:

I think it also tacked on "according to sources"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hopefully Leach will respect this mutiny of the UT admin.

• Locked thread