Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FrozenVent posted:

You couldn't get a better investment return than your mortgage interest rate? :bfc:

SO! This is a totally valid point - we had maxed all the tax advantaged spaces available to us, AND this was to get our mortgage into the realm where we have sufficient equity to refinance because although our current mortgage does not have PMI, that's because it's a physician mortgage and is a 5/1 ARM therefore we decided it was worth it to pay off the 4% second mortgage first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I just wrote a check for $27,576 to pay off one of my mortgages.

gently caress. Yes. I don't care about BWM or not. That's a mental win.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

SO! This is a totally valid point - we had maxed all the tax advantaged spaces available to us, AND this was to get our mortgage into the realm where we have sufficient equity to refinance because although our current mortgage does not have PMI, that's because it's a physician mortgage and is a 5/1 ARM therefore we decided it was worth it to pay off the 4% second mortgage first!

This is GWL (Good With Life)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Physician loans are a scam, definitely refinance to a 15 year fixed ASAP

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Physician loans are a scam, definitely refinance to a 15 year fixed ASAP

I'd like you to elaborate on "physician loans are a scam" because at this point with the second mortgage dispatched and 14% equity in the house it looks like a pretty standard 5/1 ARM at a below-market interest rate.

While we can pay it off in < 3 years, we're also considering selling it and moving for the school district, so I'm not sure I'm going to refinance.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'd like you to elaborate on "physician loans are a scam" because at this point with the second mortgage dispatched and 14% equity in the house it looks like a pretty standard 5/1 ARM at a below-market interest rate.

While we can pay it off in < 3 years, we're also considering selling it and moving for the school district, so I'm not sure I'm going to refinance.

Usually a "physician loan" is a low downpayment primary loan program where PMI is baked into the closing costs/interest rate. It sounds like you got a combination of primary and secondary mortgages for ~100% financing. No idea what the overall terms of net APR were including all closing costs and fees for both mortgages but if what you have at present is better than current rates (very possible since they have crept up slowly from recent lows) then keep that part.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm going to be starting a remote position with a company based in California soon, while I'm living in Massachusetts. They are offering a BCBS plan for my health insurance, and I'm wondering how that would work since we're on opposite sides of the country. Would I be getting a BCBS plan under California law and policy, or would it be contracted out to an insurance provider in Massachusetts (if not BCBS itself)? Would there be a difference?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'm going to be starting a remote position with a company based in California soon, while I'm living in Massachusetts. They are offering a BCBS plan for my health insurance, and I'm wondering how that would work since we're on opposite sides of the country. Would I be getting a BCBS plan under California law and policy, or would it be contracted out to an insurance provider in Massachusetts (if not BCBS itself)? Would there be a difference?

This is a question for your benefits person. Ask them about how to look at in-network doctors, hospitals, etc on the patient portal.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Pollyanna posted:

I don't think it really will matter since it's BCBS. My company has BCBS of Illinois, and I used it while living in Mississippi, and later Florida. Half of my coworkers don't live in Illinois, and nobody has a problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At my company, located in MA with employees scattered throughout the US, we have two health plan options through BCBS:

1. The standard HMO plan. For Mass based employees.
2. The PPO plan. For employees not based in Mass, or for Mass based employees who want to pay the premium difference to be on PPO rather than HMO.

I am assuming that you will have a similar plan, or everyone is on PPO, because HMO networks are usually not robust outside of the originating state.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Pollyanna posted:

This is me, except Washington while living in Pennsylvania. My BCBS plan was done through BCBS of Washington, but as someone else said you have to talk to your benefits person, because sometimes large companies have state specific options.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yup check with the HR people. FWIW I have United Health via Minnesota in Colorado. We have people in 8 states.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Juanito posted:

I don't think it really will matter since it's BCBS. My company has BCBS of Illinois, and I used it while living in Mississippi, and later Florida. Half of my coworkers don't live in Illinois, and nobody has a problem.

I worked in medical billing and we would have claims from snowbirds treating in Florida, with BCBS of Illinois policies. It's pretty common.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got released early from work and some co-workers went out for drinks.

One of cowerker bought my drink GWM for me

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
question:

I am looking to move out when my current lease ends in Aug 2018. I want to stay with the current rental place, as they have a lot of cheap properties, that are still pretty nice. For some reason they have usually asked in Jan about lease renewal, but this time they asked in November. I committed to not renewing at this place. I currently have housemates but they are all staying here.

anyways, i want to secure a place ASAP. because the housing is cheap im worried a lot of the rentals will be snatched up. i found a really nice place at 1250 a month, 3 bedroom. i had a potential housemate but he dropped out yesterday. I have the money to put the full deposit but it would be most of my savings. Im also nervous I wont find anyone in the remaining 8 months to Aug. It is pretty early and most people dont seem to look for housing until april.

If i did spend my savings on this, I would be able to get it to a healthy place in like 3 months or so. I have gotten consistent with saving 300-500 a month. BUT would renting a 3 bedroom be foolish with no current potential housemates? I've considered doing a one bedroom from the same rental place but they are usually a bit more expensive, and id be doing bills by myself.

Cheaper rent later, with the risk of finding no one and having to pay 1250 a month on rent. Or i just go with a 1 bedroom and pay a larger amount later. Im mainly concerned with not finding anyone, and having very low savings for a month.

Edgar Allan Pwned fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 1, 2017

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Financial comfort is when some scammer can access your old forgotten paypal and transfer out 1000 bucks the day rent is due and its an annoyance rather than an emergency. A year ago and I would have been stuck paying the 35 dollar stop transfer fee or (so much worse) had to borrow money from my parents

I have the old account on complete lockdown - new unique password, 2 factor auth, notifications via text for attempted transactions/logins - and will switch the money back when it goes through, but I can still pay rent and expenses and it wont even drain my savings to zero or even close to zero.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Financial comfort is when some scammer can access your old forgotten paypal and transfer out 1000 bucks the day rent is due and its an annoyance rather than an emergency. A year ago and I would have been stuck paying the 35 dollar stop transfer fee or (so much worse) had to borrow money from my parents

I have the old account on complete lockdown - new unique password, 2 factor auth, notifications via text for attempted transactions/logins - and will switch the money back when it goes through, but I can still pay rent and expenses and it wont even drain my savings to zero or even close to zero.

Nice!

Protip if you have a bank account from capital one 360 (ex ingdirect) you can just make a PayPal only bank account with 0 overdraft. PayPal can play whatever games they want that account has $1 in it unless I am actively paying for something. Mobile app takes a minute to click all the right buttons to move money into or out of it.

Click open account, savings, deposit a dollar. If you let it drop to 0 it automatically closes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

This happened to me via my wife's paypal the other day actually. Luckily my credit card company figured out it was fraud, even it paypal was too stupid to actually open a resolution.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Holy poo poo I'm so tired of Christmas. My husband is of the opinion that we must spend $25-$50 for a gift to anyone we've ever made eye contact with in the last 2 years. We're up to over $1,000 and we are still not done! We are keeping a list of people/groups to shop for and it's literally at 27 people/groups right now. He also doesn't understand the "$20-$25 limit" on group gift exchange games is to keep the game fair and interesting, not an invitation to throw down $50 because you couldn't find anything to your liking for $25 in the 30 seconds you scrolled through bestbuy.com (we are doing 4 of these stupid games. does anyone want a shower/lotion set? because I always end up with a shower/lotion set. I have 6 under my sink from past years.)

I miss the Christmases of my childhood, where you only bought gifts for the people you have ever lived with, and then just spent quality time or had dinner with the extendeds. :(

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 11, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

drat Bananas posted:

Holy poo poo I'm so tired of Christmas. My husband is of the opinion that we must spend $25-$50 for a gift to anyone we've ever made eye contact with in the last 2 years. We're up to over $1,000 and we are still not done! We are keeping a list of people/groups to shop for and it's literally at 27 people/groups right now. He also doesn't understand the "$20-$25 limit" on group gift exchange games is to keep the game fair and interesting, not an invitation to throw down $50 because you couldn't find anything to your liking for $25 in the 30 seconds you scrolled through bestbuy.com (we are doing 4 of these stupid games. does anyone want a shower/lotion set? because I always end up with a shower/lotion set. I have 6 under my sink from past years.)

I miss the Christmases of my childhood, where you only bought gifts for the people you have ever lived with, and then just spent quality time or had dinner with the extendeds. :(

You're lucky if you even get a Christmas card from us, let alone a gift.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The great thing about being horrible with money for most of my life up until a few years ago is that nobody expects anything from me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The only person getting a gift is my girlfriend and we decided no gifts this year so yay.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ally up to 1.35%, keep the good times rolling.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Is there anything out there like a BWM/financial abuse intervention service or something along those lines? I've got a friend who is in a really bad situation to the extent of not being able to eat meals. Myself and another friend would like to help but don't really know where to start. I'm unsure whether I should post here or the Newbie PF thread or what.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

William Munny posted:

Is there anything out there like a BWM/financial abuse intervention service or something along those lines? I've got a friend who is in a really bad situation to the extent of not being able to eat meals. Myself and another friend would like to help but don't really know where to start. I'm unsure whether I should post here or the Newbie PF thread or what.

If there's a decent amount of content to discuss, I'd just start a thread if I were you. It'll get buried or ignored in Newbie PF, and the BWM thread is more for mockery than help.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

William Munny posted:

Drop :10bux: and buy him an account, then make him post a thread right here.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Higgy posted:

Drop :10bux: and buy him an account, then make him post a thread right here.

I was thinking more like a person he could talk to that could say "No, all the things you're doing/your family is making you do is not normal" in person rather than over the internet

Sundae posted:

If there's a decent amount of content to discuss, I'd just start a thread if I were you. It'll get buried or ignored in Newbie PF, and the BWM thread is more for mockery than help.

Unsure if there is really a lot of content. I've posted in the BWM thread about him before but it has a lot of the typical things of financial abuse (being forced to take out credit, give access to bank accounts to parent, finance travel and gifts for parent, etc.) and also just bad money habits (being a "collector" of lots of things, being afraid to cook meals at home, renting too big of an apartment) but it wasn't until recently where he is basically maxed out as far as debt service equalling monthly pay. As I said in my reply above, I didn't know if there was something like an financial abuse intervention service or somewhere to get tips on how to help.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

William Munny posted:

I was thinking more like a person he could talk to that could say "No, all the things you're doing/your family is making you do is not normal" in person rather than over the internet

Unsure if there is really a lot of content. I've posted in the BWM thread about him before but it has a lot of the typical things of financial abuse (being forced to take out credit, give access to bank accounts to parent, finance travel and gifts for parent, etc.) and also just bad money habits (being a "collector" of lots of things, being afraid to cook meals at home, renting too big of an apartment) but it wasn't until recently where he is basically maxed out as far as debt service equalling monthly pay. As I said in my reply above, I didn't know if there was something like an financial abuse intervention service or somewhere to get tips on how to help.

If this is elder abuse or similar it's an attorney. If it's just your friend doesn't know how to tell their spouse/children "no" to the latest horse lease then it's therapy. They might be depressed, they might not have any self esteem, etc.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

If this is elder abuse or similar it's an attorney. If it's just your friend doesn't know how to tell their spouse/children "no" to the latest horse lease then it's therapy. They might be depressed, they might not have any self esteem, etc.

Well its more like he doesn't know how to tell his parent no to things, but that would fall under therapy I suppose.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

William Munny posted:

Well its more like he doesn't know how to tell his parent no to things, but that would fall under therapy I suppose.

Yeah that's therapy. Elder abuse is when your grandmother is unable to care for herself and you spend her social security on hookers and blow instead of a nursing home, not when grandma convinces you to buy her hookers and blow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wanna hang out with that grandma.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I brought up the Prenup Conversation today and the fiancee has absolutely lost her poo poo that I'm "already thinking it's not gonna work out", and thinks I'm crazy for considering this since "we're not celebrities"

But it doesn't seem like that bad an idea... We're both in our mid 30's, but our net worths are $1M vs $0 (savings roughly equal to current debt) and income is $120k vs $60k.

Anyone ever managed to have The Talk without it blowing up the engagement?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I brought up the Prenup Conversation today and the fiancee has absolutely lost her poo poo that I'm "already thinking it's not gonna work out", and thinks I'm crazy for considering this since "we're not celebrities"

But it doesn't seem like that bad an idea... We're both in our mid 30's, but our net worths are $1M vs $0 (savings roughly equal to current debt) and income is $120k vs $60k.

Is this net worth some business asset or something family related you want to ensure stays that way? Otherwise you're about to combine your lives. You should be having a conversation about updating your trust beneficiaries and getting a joint checking account.

She's way more right than you are in this circumstance.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Uh with that disparity if poo poo goes tits up and he doesn't have a prenuptial then it's gonna loving suck. A ton of people who are happy get married and eventually divorce. It's protecting yourself.

You can still get a joint checking account and all that, but assets you come into the marriage with can be protected without it being a total shitshow

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Uh with that disparity if poo poo goes tits up and he doesn't have a prenuptial then it's gonna loving suck. A ton of people who are happy get married and eventually divorce. It's protecting yourself.

You can still get a joint checking account and all that, but assets you come into the marriage with can be protected without it being a total shitshow

There is way too much to know in this internet comedy forum. Consult an attorney to see what makes sense for your circumstances.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah, I'll consult an attorney, I was just curious if anyone else had experience with it since I doubt we're the first couple in history to have very different views on finances (she views her paycheck as "this is how many dollars I can spend this month" and her retirement plan is "I like work, why would I want to retire?".

With "financial strain" being the #1 cause of divorce, I figure it's better to stay ahead of it than not.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Of course she's going to say that since she has nothing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, I'll consult an attorney, I was just curious if anyone else had experience with it since I doubt we're the first couple in history to have very different views on finances (she views her paycheck as "this is how many dollars I can spend this month" and her retirement plan is "I like work, why would I want to retire?".

With "financial strain" being the #1 cause of divorce, I figure it's better to stay ahead of it than not.

Lol :sever:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I would also consider couples counseling. You're about to be a team. This smells like there is at least a little bit of goony mine vs yours instead of "how can we budget together so both of us are happy with reasonable compromises."

Couples counseling is really useful in general and I feel most people could benefit from it to a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is one of you into bitcoin