Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

your favorite band loving sucks

ESPECIALLY yours though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm going to give album of the year to Dying Fetus mainly because of the branded knife. A close second is Cannibal Corpse. Nothing really blew me away though. I was really looking forward to Pathology's release, but it was ho-hum.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Cradle of filth have earned their spurs imo. I mean who can argue against from cradle to enslave, cruelty and the beast and midian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGERmDXxLg&t=142s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTunhRVyREU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Without revisiting anything yet, going through my 2017 ratings on Sputnik my 4.5s (no 5s this year) have been:
The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy
Fen - Winter
Aether Realm - Tarot
Der Weg Einer Freiheit - Finisterre
Akercocke - Renaissance in Extremis

Best EP was probably Thantifaxath

Worst metal-ish LP goes to Suicide Silence - Suicide Silence or Ensiferum - Two Paths
Worst metal EP goes to In Flames' cover EP

I have quite a few 4s that I should re-listen to and see if any might actually be AOTY in hiding. Thank you for reading my blog post.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m starting my 2017 relisten this weekend but so far I haven’t even given anything a 4.5. Lots of solid albums this year but nothing that I can see becoming a favorite. AOTY is wide open.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Whoredom Rife is good poo poo https://whoredomrife.bandcamp.com/album/dommedagskvad

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The in flames cover EP is incredibly weird and for a while i was convinced i dreamed it and it wasnt real

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

But it's Bolt Thrower.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yes that's a good song and a good album. I actually really liked the "Original Sin" version that was released last year.

tote up a bags posted:

The in flames cover EP is incredibly weird and for a while i was convinced i dreamed it and it wasnt real

I was surprised it was a thing and that it wasn't awful mostly. The cover of Hurt was terrible though.

What the gently caress happened to In Flames anyway?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

joylessdivision posted:

What the gently caress happened to In Flames anyway?

turn left, thread, nooooooooooooo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Hey all he did was ask a harmless question!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo, it's just they've had an odd career and their new stuff is so vastly different it's weird.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I think their guitarist left and the main dude decided to do more poppy stuff :shrug:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0XRE3H8RM

Jason Newsted's audition for Metallica. Holy crap he was killing it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This made me laugh/smirk for a solid minute yesterday.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about a best of list, but there are a few albums this year that I've listened to a bunch of times. In no particular order:

Crystal Fairy - Crystal Fairy
Pagan Altar - The Room of Shadows
Shroud Eater - Strike The Sun
Cavity - After Death

I'm sure there's lots I'm not remembering but I know I've listened to all of these albums within the last three days at least once through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, Whoredom Rife is easily my #1 of the year.

New WITTR is up there though.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i bought a t-shirt from the onion with this slogan on it because i'm a cool slogan t-shirt wearing adult

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I'm terrible at keeping up with new releases so I just want to say thanks for all the album lists and keep em coming, so I can catch up on all the good poo poo I missed.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the new morbid angel's alright if you enjoyed gateways

for once erik rutan's production style actually works in a band's favor

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
More AOTY lists please

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's December y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqPtonqnH8

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo, it's just they've had an odd career and their new stuff is so vastly different it's weird.

Jesper was writing a lot if not most of the material in their golden days, other members started giving more creative input and they were garnering more success with a more mainstream sound. Jesper forgot how to write good music and ended up out of the band after contributing to some less-than-stellar albums. You can't really pinpoint their downfall solely on him, but when he gave up creative control the quality started to slip around Reroute when all the songs were written as a group by Anders, Jesper and Bjorn rather than entirely Jesper or Jesper and 1 other person.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Omnikin posted:

More AOTY lists please

Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
Benighted - Necrobreed
Blood Freak - Total Destruction of the Human Form
Cannabis Corpse - Left Hand Pass
Couch Slut - Contempt
Cut Up - Wherever They May Rot
Decapitated - Anticult
Decrepit Birth - Axis Mundi
Entrails - World Inferno
Ex Dementia - Crack the Coffin
Exhumed - Death Revenge
Expulsion - Nightmare Future
The Faceless - In Becoming a Ghost
Gigan - Undulating Waves of Rainbiotic Iridescence
Goatwhore - Vengeful Ascension
Haemorrhage - We Are the Gore
Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
Immolation - Atonement
Incantation - 2017 - Profane Nexus
John Frum - A Stirring in the Noos
Lock Up - Demonization
Paganizer - Land of Weeping Souls
Phobia - Lifeless God
Temple of Void - Lords of Death
Witch Vomit - Poisoned Blood

God that was way longer than I figured.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Omnikin posted:

More AOTY lists please

Here's some albums I really liked this year. There wasnt much from 2017 that blew me away.

Attic- Sanctimonius (this is my favorite album of the year even if it is derivative of King Diamond)
Warbringer - Woe to the Vanquished
Lich King - The Omniclasm
Body Count - Bloodlust

And while I liked the new Overkill album, White Devil Armory from a few years back was much better

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Nazzadan posted:

Jesper was writing a lot if not most of the material in their golden days, other members started giving more creative input and they were garnering more success with a more mainstream sound. Jesper forgot how to write good music and ended up out of the band after contributing to some less-than-stellar albums. You can't really pinpoint their downfall solely on him, but when he gave up creative control the quality started to slip around Reroute when all the songs were written as a group by Anders, Jesper and Bjorn rather than entirely Jesper or Jesper and 1 other person.

Depending on who you ask, either Jesper became less involved due to alcoholism, or he started drinking heavily out of frustration with the band's direction.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Omnikin posted:

More AOTY lists please

Also add

Air Raid - Across the Line
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Disharmony - Goddamn the Sun
Horn - Turm Am Hang
Ill Omen - Ae.Thy.Rift
Lord Vigo - Blackborne Souls
Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Enslaved - E
Archspire - Relentless Mutation
Akercocke - Renaissance In Extremis
Ne Obliviscaris - Urn
Goatwhore - Vengeful Ascension
Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
Shade Empire - Poetry of the Ill-Minded
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nightbringers

That's an awfully short list for such a good year, I obviously need to listen to more stuff. I've been working too much.

E: gently caress it, adding Nightbringers after just listening to it again. I guess I've now ticked every box for "40 year old metal fan who listened to Emperor and Cryptopsy 20 years ago"

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 3, 2017

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Thank you everyone. Holiday season at work skews towards endless data entry so it's a great time to get my listening in.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Maybe it's just me but I wasn't really blown away by a lot of what I heard this year. Although I haven't bought any new music for the past 3/4 months since I'm moving next month. But, if I had to choose some AOTY in no particular order...

Bestia Arcana - Holokauston
Ensnared - Dysangelium
Undergang - Misantropologi
Venefixion - Armorican Deathrites
Ritualization - Sacraments to the Sons of the Abyss
Possession - Exorkizein
Light Of The Morning Star - Nocta
Impetuous Ritual - Blight Upon Martyred Sentience
The Drip - The Haunting Fear of Inevitability
Disma - The Graveless Remains
Crurifragium - Beasts of the Temple of Satan

I know there's more but I'm blanking on them. I may amend this post later.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 2, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Omnikin posted:

More AOTY lists please

I kinda jumped the gun on mine like three weeks ago, so in case you missed it:

Also after a few listens I think I can safely add the new Jess and the Ancient Ones on the list.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Here are the best from the year from the Profound Lore guy https://www.instagram.com/p/BcNW_iQlSIL/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

Depending on who you ask, either Jesper became less involved due to alcoholism, or he started drinking heavily out of frustration with the band's direction.

The former if you ask Jesper which was done in a recent interview in Closeup.
He has a new band along with Peter Iwers and some other known names, where the band is called Cyhra.

As for In Flames, there can be no surprises of their direction given Anders solo project Passenger, which predates Reroute.
Also it feels kinda weird debating a direction they took 15 years ago, it is as pointless as discussing Metallica’s Load for pretty much the same reasons. It was done, deal with it.

Although given that many bands seem to go back to their roots in the later parts of their careers, I wouldn’t be that surprised if In flames started doing melodeath in 10-15 years.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
why would you take a photo with your phone of your word processor?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

why would you take a photo with your phone of your word processor?

Because you can only post images to instagram and it had already been typed on the computer. Gotta get those extremely valuable likes.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Top 6:

1. Sunless - Urraca
2. Suffering Hour - In Passing Ascension
3. Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
4. Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
5. Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
6. Pyrrhon - What Passes for Survival

Lots of kool stuff this year. I think there will be a few more albums that I'd add to futch lists once I listen to them enuff to confirm they are good, like Aosoth, Thantifaxath, etc.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
apparently the faceless released an album yesterday? last i heard from them michael keene was being a drug addled piece of poo poo or something. anyway the album sounds real good

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

this is probably a wild pull but i'm looking for a music video that got posted in one of these threads a few years ago. video was set in this haunted theatre, mostly on the stage, with some good creepy imagery - shapeless ghosts moving around, weird hosed up puppets (i think??), a rocking chair that starts rocking violently, stuff like that. there might have been stuff on fire? and an execution? and all in black and white, i think. had some production value to it. the actual band played black metal, i'm pretty sure. anyway, if anyone remembers the band/video it'd be much appreciated. it's just one of those things i keep thinking about over the years and can't google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Portal maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE