Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

YouTuber posted:

Trying to create a brand new Hackintosh out of my desktop. Unfortunately they removed the Sierra build from the Appstore so I'm stuck with a High Sierra installer. I create the install medium, install clover to it and put in the new apfs poo poo that the guides want for the new filesystem (not planning on using a new file system anyway) and reboot. Clover pops up and I enter the installer; i see an Apple logo a minute and the very second it shows the progress bar the computer reboots.

Before I go googling for days following tips from the self proclaimed apple "experts" I'll check in here and see if this is a common solvable issue. My experience with the Apple Jailbreak community jaded me pretty hard.

I had an almost identical situation with my system when I upgraded from Mountain Lion to El Capitan about a year ago. Try this: before the apple logo, when the Clover boot loader starts, go into the config and deselect the option for injecting the video driver, even if it's one of the standard ones. Should only take a minute to try it, and if it works, you've got the problem isolated. (for what it's worth, I had to tell it to stop doing the intel HD video which is the correct one, and it fixes itself once it finishes booting, but it can take like 5-10 minutes of thinking it won't do anything.) I also had something similar happen on a Sony laptop that I was able to get El Cap shoehorned onto except that the damned thing would NEVER boot from the hard drive and always wanted a usb drive to boot from. In that case it stopped the reboot cycle but it seemed to freeze during install until I walked away from it for an hour + and it magically finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Would it be possible to transplant a Hackintosh install? I broke the screen on my poor ProBook 6560b, but am upgrading to a nice EliteBook 840 G2 soon. Ideally, I'd like to just pull the SSD over from the old laptop, boot into safe mode and replace kexts/DSDTs/other files that go in the Clover/EFI partition, but I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LoSesMC posted:

Would it be possible to transplant a Hackintosh install? I broke the screen on my poor ProBook 6560b, but am upgrading to a nice EliteBook 840 G2 soon. Ideally, I'd like to just pull the SSD over from the old laptop, boot into safe mode and replace kexts/DSDTs/other files that go in the Clover/EFI partition, but I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

You can as I have done it myself and I didn't need to pull any of the mods for start up as the same can be done on a real machine. Naturally you should strip the mods (If you can find them) for new ones but if you have time machine ready do a fresh install, get all you custom bit in and just migrate as it is the most optimal long term option. It doesn't matter if you go up a 10.xx stepping as it works just fine.

But you can do a test and no harm will come of it. If it boots, time machine, fresh install, time machine, reboot then strip the kexts.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

LoSesMC posted:

You might not be able to get into safe mode but this is where having your kexts being injected by Clover really shines. If you can mount the EFI partition on really any computer then you can go to work adding and removing what you need to boot.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Posting from my new machine. I ended up just doing the "lazy" thing and started fresh with High Sierra (I was previously running El Cap). The install was much faster this time, as I had a better idea of what I was doing as well as USB 3.0. I was thrown for a loop because I didn't remember that macOS installer reboots at some point before finishing. 1080p looks great compared to the 1366x768 I was running before, and I actually got iMessage working this time around! The only downside is that I've had to depend on USB WiFi while I wait for a compatible card to ship to me, and couldn't bring over the working one from my old laptop.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

PSA: Don't do what I did, which was upgrade to High Sierra, then wonder why a USB3 drive wouldn't mount on my system, then assume the USB3 drive was defective, then start a refund with Amazon, then discover that the RehabMan kext patch you had defined in your Clover configuration was for Sierra and was different for High Sierra.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LoSesMC posted:

Posting from my new machine. I ended up just doing the "lazy" thing and started fresh with High Sierra (I was previously running El Cap).

This isn't the lazy thing, it is best practice. See above this post about breaking stuff. With a fresh install you can do all the tinkering you want without fear of losing data or loving it up as you can reinstall as much as you want.

Hopefully all the kext and changes you need are in Clover which makes things much easier to fix in minutes by copying that in to a USB stick to boot off. Once your good copy everything from the USB into Clover proper.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Upgraded to high sierra (and even the the latest .1) update.

For some reason I cannot for the life of me get HD4000 graphics going. Do I need something else besides injecting the ID within clover?

Edit: Yay, solved it. Good grief that was finnicky.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 2, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The question is, can you turn a pixelbook into a hackintosh? Or an HP g1 13 chromebook?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

DarkSun6890 posted:

Crossposting from the Part Picker thread.

PCPartPicker part list

How's this setup treating you? I'm interested in building pretty much the same thing, but I'd (ideally) like to also boot into Windows for VR with Oculus. Has anybody done that? The GTX 1060 is literally the "recommended requirement" on Oculus' site.

Moogs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rebooting into Windows works as you'd expect on commodity PC hardware.

I suggest a completely separate disk for Windows install, though.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I suggest a completely separate disk for Windows install, though.

Just to keep things clean? I have a NAS that I'm planning on using for data storage, so maybe I'll just throw two SSDs in there. Anyone have experience with Samsung 850 PRO? Is there actually a noticeable performance difference between consumer-level SSDs?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can have windows on another partition on the same drive but it is much easier and safer for both OS to be on separate physical drives.

The PRO for most use cases will not have any performance improvements over the EVO. However if you are using it under very heavy load on the constant basis the PRO will perform better, it also has a much higher endurance and warranty. Unless you are hammering the crap out of your NAS with both read and writes, just use an EVO.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Any issues with this setup? As you may have seen above, I'm planning to dual boot OSX and Windows and use a NAS for storage. I don't know anything about liquid coolers (last time around they weren't a thing) but Tom's Hardware recommended the Frostflow. Primary use will be developing (OSX) and loving off with VR (Windows). Would love a sanity check.

Moogs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 1, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moogs posted:

Any issues with this setup? As you may have seen above, I'm planning to dual boot OSX and Windows and use a NAS for storage. I don't know anything about liquid coolers (last time around they weren't a thing) but Tom's Hardware recommended the Frostflow. Primary use will be developing (OSX) and loving off with VR (Windows). Would love a sanity check.

you don't need liquid cooling even in a mini itx case where space is at a premium. one of the small noctua coolers or something similar will do you just fine, even if you want to overclock a bit. liquid cooling is always going to be noisier than air cooling, and you're always going to get a bit of pump noise and vibration which can be quite noticeable especially if you're going to have the computer on your desk. basically if you're looking for a mac-esque experience go for air cooling

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Generic Monk posted:

if you're looking for a mac-esque experience go for air cooling
Ironically, the first major foray into the field of liquid-cooled personal computers for general use were the high-end versions of Apple's Power Mac G5. :v:

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

you don't need liquid cooling even in a mini itx case where space is at a premium. one of the small noctua coolers or something similar will do you just fine, even if you want to overclock a bit. liquid cooling is always going to be noisier than air cooling, and you're always going to get a bit of pump noise and vibration which can be quite noticeable especially if you're going to have the computer on your desk. basically if you're looking for a mac-esque experience go for air cooling

Appreciate it! Swapped out the liquid cooler for a cheap Noctua one. In terms of actually buying this, are there any techniques to get the best price? Or just wait for next year's Cyber Monday? :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

eightysixed posted:

Ironically, the first major foray into the field of liquid-cooled personal computers for general use were the high-end versions of Apple's Power Mac G5. :v:

Which went well for them
http://rknochenmuss.ch/G5leak/G5.html

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Moogs posted:

Appreciate it! Swapped out the liquid cooler for a cheap Noctua one. In terms of actually buying this, are there any techniques to get the best price? Or just wait for next year's Cyber Monday? :(

Be more flexible about specific components and brands and keep an eye out on Reddits "buildapcsales" board. You are pushing past the "diminishing returns" point of performance and into the "spending more money than necessary because I like fast and big numbers" territory. For instance, additional memory speed is only a few dollars more up to 3000, but then jumps for 3200 by a noticeable amount. Also, Newegg sells one 500GB Samsung SSD for significantly less than your two 250GB SSDs ($140 v $170), so consider if you need to go that path as well.

Basically getting a good deal on building a computer is making a lot of little $20-40 compromises until you run out of things to purchase. It eventually rolls around to need. If you're doing 4K video rendering, then having four small NVMe SSDs running in unison is more ideal than one big SATA one, but you may not need that to do your job.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2017

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I've been waiting for the iMac Pro, but I've been growing increasingly nervous about dropping multiple thousands on a first-gen Apple attempt at cramming a mac pro into an iMac. Also, it's December and we haven't heard anything about it, so that's worrisome on several levels as well.

Then I thought, maybe building my own wouldn't be so bad. Sounds like it's a lot easier these days, which is nice.

Looking at tonymacx86, all three of the recommended motherboards for the "pro" side are not being sold on Newegg right now. I see one on Amazon, but it's the one with a "Killer" NIC. I guess that thing I laughed at years ago when I was still building PCs actually somehow got itself put on motherboards, huh?

Any suggestions for a better (in stock?) motherboard? I haven't built a PC in approximately a decade, so I don't know what makes for a good motherboard or anything these days. Price isn't too much of a concern, seeing as I was previously planning on forking over an insane amount of dollars for Apple's offering, but one of the motivations for doing it this way is to save a couple thousand dollars over that. I want to hit that inflection point in the price/performance curve just before it goes completely off the deep end, basically.

e: dual socket would be pretty cool. Are there any supported dual socket motherboards?...

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Right now is kind of a lovely time to build a PC in general because of RAM prices, but especially a Hackintosh since you can't reliably use a Ryzen CPU which is where the value is. AMD has kicked Intel in the balls hard enough that they're offering more than 4 cores on the consumer level for the very first time, so you're probably better off either waiting until Apple releases some Coffee Lake macs, or just buying equipment now and hoping you don't have to replace a motherboard later. (Though it's better now than it was five years ago where the Tonymac guide for low-effort people wouldn't recommend anything other than a Gigabyte board.)

Buying a 4c8t CPU for a high end machine right now is just a bad idea.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 3, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eightysixed posted:

it also leaked to gently caress iirc. rip that gloriously over-engineered chassis tho

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

I've been waiting for the iMac Pro, but I've been growing increasingly nervous about dropping multiple thousands on a first-gen Apple attempt at cramming a mac pro into an iMac. Also, it's December and we haven't heard anything about it, so that's worrisome on several levels as well.

Then I thought, maybe building my own wouldn't be so bad. Sounds like it's a lot easier these days, which is nice.

Looking at tonymacx86, all three of the recommended motherboards for the "pro" side are not being sold on Newegg right now. I see one on Amazon, but it's the one with a "Killer" NIC. I guess that thing I laughed at years ago when I was still building PCs actually somehow got itself put on motherboards, huh?

Any suggestions for a better (in stock?) motherboard? I haven't built a PC in approximately a decade, so I don't know what makes for a good motherboard or anything these days. Price isn't too much of a concern, seeing as I was previously planning on forking over an insane amount of dollars for Apple's offering, but one of the motivations for doing it this way is to save a couple thousand dollars over that. I want to hit that inflection point in the price/performance curve just before it goes completely off the deep end, basically.

e: dual socket would be pretty cool. Are there any supported dual socket motherboards?...

The new Intel 8000-series coffee lake cpus basically have 2 more cores at every price point, it might be worth waiting for that. I don't think I'd want to buy a new system with an i5-7600k right now because the i5-8600k has 6 cores vs 4.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mewse posted:

The new Intel 8000-series coffee lake cpus basically have 2 more cores at every price point, it might be worth waiting for that. I don't think I'd want to buy a new system with an i5-7600k right now because the i5-8600k has 6 cores vs 4.

I still may upgrade to a MacBook Pro (2015) in the spring, but for desktops I’d wait for the same releasing. Though my iMac 5k still flies with photoshop. (Haven’t started using final cut yet though)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Generic Monk posted:

it also leaked to gently caress iirc. rip that gloriously over-engineered chassis tho

It did. But I couldn't not say it with the whole "if you want a real Mac experience comment" :shobon:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm running High Sierra on my z270 / 7700k box and I'm happy with it, but really want MOAR CORES so I am waiting for the iMac Pro and Mythical ~~New~~ Mac Pro, which will give us some drivers for the Xeon C series chip sets that aren't 5 years old.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Well, the iMac Pro is here, and I'm underwhelmed.

As ATP put it: no one was asking them to put a pro machine in a skinny case glued to a monitor. So any compromise to do that, even on price, but especially on noise and performance, kind of irks me.

Can't build an 18 core Coffee Lake ... yet. But I can buy in at the start of the new socket cycle and end up with a Coffee Lake i9 in four or five years as a nice upgrade.

I looked on the tonymacx86 forums and found someone who managed to get a Z370 build working on High Sierra with a minimum of fuss. So I'm building something similar to that, and I came in under $4k, including monitor. (I'm not mentioning the $300 keyboard that puts it over...)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NWtd4C

Sure, it'll be a little more effort, but my machine will be quieter, I'll be able to upgrade it, and the monitor isn't going to have some blotch on it when the GPU cooks it or something. I don't really need Xeon or ECC RAM ... this isn't a true workstation machine, it's just going to be a home workstation. It'll definitely be better than the mid 2011 iMac I've had chugging away since its release.

Merry Christmas to me, I guess. I'm excited!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What's the best way to completely backup a Hackintosh? Preferably through the network? I threw a small 8300 USFF into my kitchen and trying to avoid having to leave a external drive there.

Any way to partition my actual hackintosh OS drive and have the backups put onto it as well?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Carbon Copy Cloner can backup to a .dmg stored elsewhere on the network.
It's not free anymore though.

You should be fine to partition your boot disk in Disk Utility.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If you can setup something like a Freenas server then a hackintosh will happily back up to it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Problem with freenas (which I run with along Time machine) is not the so simple task of disk quotas. Not a big deal for me, be I can't figure out why Apple just can't ask how much space you need for backups?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have an Xserve with dual PPC G4 1.33 GHz processors. Can I run Debian or something and then virtualize MacOS 9 with QEMU? :thunk:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Check out MacOnLinux.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacOnLinuxHowto

But why would you want to?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

~Coxy posted:

Check out MacOnLinux.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacOnLinuxHowto

But why would you want to?

Because I can. It's almost retro at this point. It's an interesting piece of hardware and it was essentially maxed out when I got it, it would be a shame to throw it away. It's just a question of figuring out what the most useful thing to do with it would be. Two virtualized OS9 instances beats one OSX instance IMO.

I also restored+maxed out a Coppermine Thinkpad, just because I could. Slap a mSATA-to-IDE adapter in there, added a wifi card, new battery, etc :shrug:

On the other hand I don't feel bad about throwing away the pair of P4 Xeons I got at the same time. I can't even put a GPU in there, so it'll never be useful.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Problem with freenas (which I run with along Time machine) is not the so simple task of disk quotas. Not a big deal for me, be I can't figure out why Apple just can't ask how much space you need for backups?

make a new dataset and you can set a quota

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i got a vega 64 and it works flawlessly with 10.13.4 ... i highly recommend (if you can find one lol)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, via external GPU enclosure? Pretty cool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guessed it was a PC running a firmware image that identifies itself as an iMac.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can you pass your GPU into a Windows VM and have it work well for games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm not 100% sure but if you're running a Hackintosh then you should really consider dual booting Windows. My Windows partition is called Games because that's all it's for.