Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The boys have had years of “Yes and”ing each other and people shouldn’t worry about them falling into the usual pitfalls of characters with irritable personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ALFbrot posted:

I'm going to use Science. Let me just lift up my Invader Zim t-shirt to pull my chained bacon wallet out of my cargo shorts, I'm sure I have a Science notes in here somewhere

You didn't actually listen to the episodes, did you?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also doesn't seem to understand FATE.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Travis uses Science! like once an episode, tops. Griffin uses his +8 in Atheltics like every other action.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Travis uses Science! like once an episode, tops. Griffin uses his +8 in Atheltics like every other action.

when all you have are the legs of an olympic sprinter, everything looks like a 40 yard dash

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alaois posted:

when all you have are the legs of an olympic sprinter, everything looks like a 40 yard dash

The Magnus Burnsides conundrum.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Holy poo poo, the Commitment finale opens with some gloriously National Treasure bullshit and I love it.

Edit: Everybody Wants to Rule the World :gop:

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 30, 2017

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Nadia is a Rick and Morty fan

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

inferis posted:

Nadia is a Rick and Morty fan

now that's just a mean thing to say

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mikedawson posted:

I think there was an episode where listeners called them and told them about how they followed their advice.

It's one of the big round number episodes. I want to say 150 or 200? I also recall that in almost all cases the advice was either inapplicable, solved itself on its own or failed miserably. I remember it also featured a dude explicitly disregarding the brother's advice to never ask someone out while they're working and asking out his Chinese delivery man who he thought was flirting discreetly by putting extra vegetables in his Chow Mein.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really enjoyed the Commitment arc and I wouldn't mind it continuing, but I'm also super interested in whatever comes next.

I'm especially excited about seeing whatever Cowboy characters the guys come up with in the western story arc when they get to it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

yo, gently caress monarchy

E: Poor Richard’s non-coup sure sounds a lot like a coup

E2: lol

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 1, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The king's name is Richard Poor. Clint, you are a huge loving dork.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if only one of the pc names was Michael.

RICHARRRRD!!!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BONK!

Over all I liked it. Hopefully the next story has a great cast as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey, we on that Candlenights Creep.

https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/936389367274274816

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

How old are they in that picture?? Griffin and Justin both look like they could pass under 20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was the first Candlenights live show so it was like...three years ago?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GUYS

https://twitter.com/mbmbam/status/936628159549763584

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Oh, huh. It's just gonna Lin again, huh?

:aaaaa:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
YOU USED TO BE MY BROTHER MY BROTHER AND ME

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
One year from now, Jimmy Buffet is sneaking "great job" horn references into his concerts and getting Kenny Chesney to tweet out "Whats up, Island Boy?"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

YOU USED TO BE MY BROTHER MY BROTHER AND ME

ARE YOU POSSESSED?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hell yes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

better be recording on a boat

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Alaois posted:

better be recording on a boat

On a beach

with some babes

some coronas

and an old rotten boat full of sailor skeletons

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Holy poo poo, I'm ready for the climax of the Island Boy arc :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even if they never go back to commitment that was a great little superhero movie

also, hey we finally got the reveal of the good guy organization actually being the bad guys

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I liked Commitment, but once we've seen Justin's and Travis's games, I don't think I'll want it to be the thing that they do for another 3 years. The ruleset of the game was too involved for the podcast. By the end they were playing even more fast and loose with the rules than they were with DnD, which I think demonstrates that it is a worse fit.

Also, is Richard Poor seriously going to stick with the heat vision rear end in a top hat? Her thought process was literally "I want something, and if I don't get it I'll do a murder, and if I still don't get it I'll do a genocide." Is that seriously who he wants to hitch his wagon to? I guess we'll never know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ariong posted:

I liked Commitment, but once we've seen Justin's and Travis's games, I don't think I'll want it to be the thing that they do for another 3 years. The ruleset of the game was too involved for the podcast. By the end they were playing even more fast and loose with the rules than they were with DnD, which I think demonstrates that it is a worse fit.

Which is bizarre since FATE is infinitely more comprehensible than D&D.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i mean they already commented on not really enjoying FATE very much, so i have to imagine that Commitment is basically toast

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Honestly, I think the reason it may not have gelled as well for them is due to how open it seemed? With D&D they could fudge along the system and roll with what sounded more interesting than following the rules rigidly. Having too much freedom can sometimes hamper more than help I've found. Just a guess maybe!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blockhouse posted:

Which is bizarre since FATE is infinitely more comprehensible than D&D.

Griffin mentioned how every turn in FATE is like a negotiation, and I think that’s the culprit.

Here’s my theory. In DnD, if you have the rulebook and your character sheet, you know exactly what you can do. Because of that you can plan out your turn while your coplayers are taking theirs/going to the bathroom/readjusting their mic balance/etc. In FATE...
  • You don’t have a list of specific abilities, so you have to take extra time to figure out how your stuff works in the current environment.
  • You don’t know for sure that something is possible until your turn rolls around and you ask the DM.
  • You don’t know when your next turn will be, so you can’t predict how circumstances will have changed by then.

Multiply the time consumption factor of all that by 2 because they’re doing it online instead of in person and it starts to become clear how a more open-ended system can actually make things take longer. Before Commitment I thought for sure that could only be a positive change. Hopefulky the boys were more precient, or there could be trouble.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ariong posted:

Also, is Richard Poor seriously going to stick with the heat vision rear end in a top hat? Her thought process was literally "I want something, and if I don't get it I'll do a murder, and if I still don't get it I'll do a genocide." Is that seriously who he wants to hitch his wagon to? I guess we'll never know.

Okay, yes, sure she's evil.

But, on the other hand: she has heat vision, and that is hella rad.

Frankly I think he made the right choice.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, yes, sure she's evil.

But, on the other hand: she has heat vision, and that is hella rad.

Frankly I think he made the right choice.

Always stand behind the person with heat vision

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Quote not edit

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ariong posted:

Honestly I think I'd rather them just keep doing small mini-campaigns but that's just me.

Also even if it's not Commitment, I'd rather Clint keep DMing because he's still my favorite.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I think I'd rather them just keep doing small mini-campaigns but that's just me.

Also even if it's not Commitment, I'd rather Clint keep DMing because he's still my favorite.

Also, Clint not DMing anymore means no more Dadmaps and that's just tragic.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
They're probably gonna end up playing Apocalypse World, or a variant of it, for the next arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, Clint not DMing anymore means no more Dadmaps and that's just tragic.

The dadmaps were the most beautiful things and I unironically loved them.