Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let's drag this out and guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wow, this book has a lot of railroading. It might be annoying if it wasn't so humorously written.

But yeah, let's guess. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Leap into the air, sword in hand, and plunge it into whatever grave you happen to land on!

We blindly guess!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Guess randomly!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Chaos reigns (guess wildly)

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Time is running out. That last coffin could creep into place before you even cross over to a grave! Then it will all be over. For you and your grandmother.

You are too terrified to think.

So you decide to guess.

Well... what are you waiting for? Go ahead and guess.

Which one is the Most Powerful Ghost?

Melvin Estep? Melvin Estep II? Or Brandon Estep?

If you pick Melvin Estep, turn to PAGE 34.

If you pick Melvin Estep II, turn to PAGE 27.

If you pick Brandon Estep, turn to PAGE 47.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Graveyard Map
Keeper's Sword

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Wound up stuck dealing with both a ghost and a Lanx.
Killed in a particularly gory fashion by the MHG.
Dragged into a malfunctioning ghost-hunting device.
Became a ghost rider.
Suffocated by a worm-faced ghost.
Clubbed by a ghost-neanderthal.
Stabbed by the ghost of a Civil War soldier.
Died, came back as a ghost, and accidentally destroyed our own universe.
Devoured by vampire chickens.
Suffocated after being buried alive.
Forced to take the blame for a kleptomaniac ghost.
Took a fatal fall down a laundry chute.
Double-crossed by a ghost and forced to eat a plate of worms.
Turned into a stone statue.

Achievements
But I Refuse: Turned down the ghost-boy's offer both times.
Selling Souls: Offloaded the haunted house onto someone else.
Grave Reminder: Broke our deal with the ghost-boy.
Everyone's a Critic: Got taken to the afterlife just so a ghost could tell us our piano playing sucks.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Brandon, I guess

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Melvin I, the best Melvin.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, we've almost found every ending. Might as well try for the whole set.

Even if it makes us look like a total Melvin.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad you guys are 100%ing this one. It's a real good spooky book with some great endings. Clearly not the same ghost writer who did loving Fever Swamp.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MEEEEEEELVIIIIIIIIN!!!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Melvin just wants a hug. And by that, I mean a stab through his grave.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You run over to Melvin Estep's grave and plunge your sword into the ground.

And wait.

Nothing happens.

Does that mean you've actually done it? Did you put an end to the curse of the creeping coffins?

You step back from the grave, leaving the sword standing straight up from the dirt. You take a deep breath. Could it really all be over?

Suddenly, one of the other coffins - one of the other Esteps! - starts to move!

Oh, no! You chose the wrong Estep!

It's all over, all right. All over for YOU!

Before your astonished eyes, the headstone creeps across the graveyard. Within seconds, it reaches the third row. When the headstone stops creeping, the word DIE is complete.

And so is your adventure in this book. Complete. Finished. Done. As in...

THE END

P.S. Here's a hint. Next time you try to defeat the creeping coffins, ask Elvira for help. Don't leave so much to chance!

Since it's the only choice left, let's see what happens if we stab Brandon's grave.

quote:

You cross your fingers and decide to take a chance on Brandon Estep. You run over to his tombstone and stand in front of it.

You hold the sword in both hands like a dagger, with the point down. Your hands tremble so much you're afraid you'll drop the sword. You tighten your grip and take a deep breath.

Then you raise the sword above Brandon's grave and prepare to plunge in into the ground.

But something stops you.

quote:

You hear a booming CRACK! In the next instant, the ghost of Brandon Estep rises up out of his grave.

Is he the MPG? Have you chosen the right Estep?

You peer at Brandon as he floats toward you. He's a young guy wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket. With heavy metal spikes and chains. And a metal hand.

A metal hand?

A chill of terror runs through you. This must be him. The Most Powerful Ghost. The ghost with the iron hand.

You raise the foil again. But the ghost lunges at you - and grabs your arm with his iron hand.

Your arm freezes. You can't move!

For a moment, you panic. Then you remember what MacFarling told you. The date of Sarah's death. It's magic, somehow.

Did you write down the date like MacFarling told you? Good. Then find the date and add up all four digits in the year. What's the new number? Well, that's your next page number. Turn to that page.

Just an FYI: this choice isn't a random guess. The book actually does provide a clue as to which of the two Sarahs is the right one.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Graveyard Map
Keeper's Sword

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Became a ghost rider.
:siren:Stabbed the wrong grave, allowing the curse to be completed.:siren:

Achievements
Everyone's a Critic: Got taken to the afterlife just so a ghost could tell us our piano playing sucks.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Is the clue the apparent age of the ghost?

The Sarah (Keeper of the Sword) we met had long black hair and ruby red lips. Sarah Grayson was born in 1820, and died in 1895, making her 75. Sarah McGinnis was born in 1918 and died in 1940, making her 22 ears old, which seems to match the the age of the ghost we met.

So, 1940, so we turn to page 14.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Wrong answer first!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Added Space posted:

Wrong answer first!

Oh, forgot about trying to get every ending first!

Yes, change my vote to page 23. Clearly the ghost we saw was a beautiful 75 year old in the peak of health.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Page 23

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Good work! You added right. The numbers in the date of Sarah Grayson's death add up to 23.

But there's just one problem. A big one. You've got the wrong Sarah!

Figure it out. Sarah Grayson was born in 1820. She died in 1895. That made her seventy-five years old when she died.

But the ghost you saw - the fencing woman - was young. Remember? Long black hair. Ruby lips.

Not an old lady. A young one.

Which means, the Most Powerful Ghost has you in his powerful iron grip. And you've got no magical number to get out of it!

Uh-oh.

Okay. You'll get a break this time.

Go back to the graveyard and pick again. Choose the younger Sarah this time. Add up the digits in the year of her death. Then turn to that page.

I think I speak for all of us when I say what a let-down this is. I want to die for my mistakes, dammit! Still, props to PumpkinBat for figuring out the clue.

Anyway, here's what happens if we pick the right Sarah:

quote:

Congratulations! You picked the right Sarah. Sarah McGinnis. Born in 1918. Died in 1940, at the age of twenty-two.

You knew she was the right one - because the fencing ghost was a young beauty. So she must have died young. The other Sarah in the graveyard lived to be seventy-five years old.

Very clever of you to figure it out!

Suddenly, you hear her voice. It fills your ears. "I am the Keeper of the Sword," she calls to you from her grave. "Let my foil do the work. Let go!"

Let go? Weird, you think. But you do it.

As soon as the foil leaves your hand, it floats in midair. Then in plunges itself deeply into the earth.

Into Brandon Estep's grave!

"Aaaaahhh!" the ghost cries. His shimmering body begins to fade - and then disappears back into the earth.

Your eyes open wide and your mouth drops open as you gaze at an amazing sight. The coffins are creeping again - back to their original positions! You did it! The curse has been defeated!

But there's only one problem. Brandon's ghostly body is gone - but his iron fist is still clutching your arm!

quote:

MacFarling never told you what to do about an iron hand!

"Help!" you scream. "HELP!"

But who can help you in a graveyard?

You try to yank the metal hand off your arm. But you can't do it. Its grip is too strong.

"Help!" you cry again. But your scream dies in your throat. You are too terrified to make a sound. Because the hand is moving!

The iron fist creeps along your arm. It clutches your flesh so hard you can already feel the bruises. The glinting metal hand travels up to your throat. Horrified, you watch helplessly as the iron fingers open with a clanking sound and then snap around your neck. It's strangling you! You've got to do something fast!

quote:

The metal hand clutching your throat is squeezing the life out of you. You don't have much time left.

Then you see it. The sword. It has lifted itself out of the ground - and it's once again floating in midair. The sword helped before. Maybe it can help you again.

Stretching your arm as far as you can, you reach for the sword. You nearly topple over, but you manage to grab the handle. Now that you have the sword, you're not sure what to do with it. But you have to do something - the fingers are tightening... tightening...

You've got to get some space between your throat and the metal fingers! You bring the sword up to your neck. Trying to avoid slicing your own throat, you jostle and jiggle the sword through the fingers of the metal hand. Finally, the blade pokes up through the iron fist. The tip is just under your nose. The sword is jammed between your skin and the cold metal of Brandon Estep's hand.

The iron hand releases your throat. The sword and the hand clatter to the ground. It's over.

Well, maybe not.

The moment the sword hits the dirt, you hear a sound. An almost deafening sound.

quote:

BONG! BONG! BONG!

What is that? Some kind of clock tower?

BONG... BONG... BONG... BONG...

The chimes strike twelve times.

At exactly midnight, the iron hand and the sword vanish - and your grandmother appears in the doorway of her house.

"Why, listen to that!" she exclaims. "It's the clock tower in the church. That clock hasn't chimed in years!"

"Really?" you say, your eyes growing wide.

Your grandmother nods. "Not since Brandon Estep died. He crashed his motorcycle in this graveyard. Wild boy. But he loved that clock tower. He had helped his father build it. So everyone said Brandon haunted this place, and that's why the clock wouldn't chime. Of course that's a lot of nonsense."

Nonsense? No way, you think.

"They tried to fix the clock a million times," your grandmother goes on. "But it never worked. I wonder why it started chiming now?"

You're pretty sure you know the answer to that.

quote:

"I guess Brandon's ghost is finally at rest." you say.

You gaze around you and see that the tombstones are all back where they belong. In fact, the whole graveyard looks kind of sleepy and peaceful.

"Oh, don't be a goose," your grandmother scolds. "There are no ghosts. Next, you'll be telling me that the ghost of Elmyra Martin is taking a nap in your room!"

Elvira? You'd forgotten about her. But you figure when the other ghosts returned to their graves, Elvira did, too.

Your grandmother yawns. "Come on," she says sleepily. "This is way past both our bedtimes."

You and your grandmother go inside. You say goodnight and climb the stairs to your bedroom.

What a day! you think, flopping down on the soft bed.

"Watch it!" A familiar voice echoes through the room. A lump under the comforter slowly materializes.

Elvira!

"Don't hog the covers," she snaps. She yanks the blanket under you so hard you roll right out of bed.

You've heard of bad roommates, but this is ridiculous! Well, you'll just have to learn how to get along. Because Elvira is here for eternity. Your days of having your own room have come to an

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Graveyard Map
Keeper's Sword

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Became a ghost rider.
Stabbed the wrong grave, allowing the curse to be completed.

Achievements
:siren:Cover to Cover: Explored every possible path of a Give Yourself Goosebumps book.:siren:

Well, it wasn't perfect, but that was probably the best book we've done so far! Unfortunately, with every high must come an agonizing low. Next time, the madman behind Werewolf Woods returns, and he's just discovered CAPS LOCK...

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rebonack7 posted:

Next time, the madman behind Werewolf Woods returns, and he's just discovered CAPS LOCK...

Oh, hell yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh jesus christ no

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Damned souls warn us and saints preserve us.

This is sounding like a ride.

Ah well. Last two books were getting expectations too high. Good to have 'em reset so thorough.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Rebonack7 posted:

Unfortunately, with every high must come an agonizing low. Next time, the madman behind Werewolf Woods returns, and he's just discovered CAPS LOCK...

poisonpill posted:

Oh, hell yes.

Blockhouse posted:

oh jesus christ no

:magical::munch:

What will the foodstuff of inordinate attention be this time?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

:magical::munch:

What will the foodstuff of inordinate attention be this time?

Prepare to invoke the wrath of the pudding goblins

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I only just discovered this LP exists and holy God, you loving madman.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rebonack7 posted:

Well, it wasn't perfect, but that was probably the best book we've done so far! Unfortunately, with every high must come an agonizing low. Next time, the madman behind Werewolf Woods returns, and he's just discovered CAPS LOCK...

:stonklol:

this is.. going to be something, for sure.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
:toot:

Rebonack7 posted:

gently caress

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
we really are on the darkest timeline

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
If it's the one I think it is then oh boy poo poo's gonna get weird.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

we really are on the dankest timeline

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This book was good. The next one I think is likely to be its absolute polar opposite. I'm delighted.

Well done, everybody! We finally got a 100%!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #09: THE KNIGHT IN SCREAMING ARMOR

quote:

"Pip-pip! Ta-ta! Jolly good! Tallyho and all that rot!" your dad exclaims.

"Da-a-a-d!" you plead. "Pleeeeeeease!"

"So sorry," he apologizes in his best British accent. "We just want your cousins to feel quite at home now, don't we? It's not every day we have visitors from England. It's been over a year since we've seen them. Jolly good! Ta-ta! Pip-pip!" your dad says again.

"Yes," your mom adds. "Your Uncle Will is giving lectures at several important American museums. So Kip and Abbey will be staying with us for a whole week. Isn't that terrific?"

You only half agree. Kip Saxton is your age. Sometimes he complains too much. But mostly, he's a pretty cool kid. His fifteen-year-old sister is another story. "Abbey acts like she's queen of the world," you say. "She can be a royal pain!"

"Oh, you'll have fun," your dad assures you. "Uncle Will says Kip and Abbey are bringing a big surprise with them!"

"A surprise?" you ask. "What surprise?"

quote:

Before your dad can say another word about the surprise, the doorbell rings.

"They're here!" your mom calls from the front hall. She opens the door as the airport shuttle van pulls away. Your cousins are standing in the doorway. "You haven't changed a bit!" your mom declares as she hugs Abbey and Kip.

"I hope that's not true," you mutter. Your tall blond cousin is already staring past you and into the mirror behind you. "Hi," you manage to say to her.

Abbey primps her long golder curls before she answers. "Oh, hi," she says as she pats her hair about a hundred times.

"Still the same old Abbey," you have to admit.

"Forget her," someone says, laughing. It's Kip. "Can you give me a hand? We've got more stuff to bring in." Your sandy-haired cousin moves back out onto the front step and points to two huge wooden crates. The crates are taller than your dad.

"What the - ?" you start to say.

"Artifacts!" your dad chimes in. "Uncle Will is coming here next week to lecture at the Medieval Museum downtown. I told him we'd store some exhibits here until he arrives. But I never expected anything this big! These crates will have to go in the garage."

"What's in the crates anyway?" you ask Kip.

quote:

"Two suits of armor," Kip says. "That's what's in the crates. They're really old. From the fifteenth century. We call one of them the Evil Knight. It's been with the Saxton family forever. The other suit was Sir Edmund Saxton's. He's our great-great-great-great-... well, you get the picture."

The crates are on wheels. You, Kip, Abbey, and your dad pull them down the driveway to the garage behind your house. You notice a label on one of the crates.

"Hey, look at this," you cry. You read the label aloud:

"Beware this Dark and Evil Knight
Cursed still from long ago.
Until a Good Knight fights for right
This Knight brings misery and woe.

That's kind of spooky," you add.

"No! Don't read that out loud," Kip cautions too late. "It's an evil curse on the whole Saxon family!"

"A curse?" You laugh. "You don't believe in curses, do you?"

"Sure I do. And so should you if you know what's good for you," Kip whispers. "I guess you've never heard the tale."

quote:

"The tale? What tale?" you ask.

"The legend of the Curse of the Knight in Screaming Armor!" Kip answers. "Years ago an evil sorceress got angry at the King's best knight, Sir Edmund Saxton. You know, our ancestor? He killed her favorite dragon, or something. Anyway, she put a curse on him - the Curse of the Knight in Screaming Armor!"

"She made a special suit of armor and sent it to him as a gift. The armor was haunted. It held the spirit of an evil knight. That night, horrible screams and cries were heard from Saxton castle. In the morning, Sir Edmund and all of his family had been killed!"

Kip's eyes grow wide as he goes on. "All of his family was dead except one son. He had been out hunting. Anyway, he kept the armor. He was too scared to throw it away!"

The four of you arrive at the garage and your dad reaches down to open the door.

"This is that armor. Family legend has it that one day it will wake up again. Thirsty for Saxton blood. Then it will destroy all that is good! Unless a brave and noble Saxton can defeat it. It has to be a member of the Saxton family."

"Ha!" you laugh. "I'm related to you, so I'm a Saxton. What's an Evil Knight's suit of armor going to do to me?"

quote:

"You can just forget that Screaming Armor story!" Abbey snaps before Kip gets a chance to answer you. "It's totally stupid and it's not even true."

But long after everyone has gone to sleep, you lie awake thinking about the crates in your garage.

Hours later, you've just dozed off when you are awakened by a chilling scream - and it's coming from the garage.

"The curse!" you gasp.

If you try to ignore the scream, turn to PAGE 13.

If you investigate the chilling shriek, turn to PAGE 19.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/1

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dad's being a real rear end in a top hat about his...British...brother...?

Go check it out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ghosts are like children. Ignore them and they eventually just give up on screaming.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let's investigate

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

We didn't even pick them up from the airport, there's no way we're gonna go get them a glass of water, or whatever they're screaming about. Don't

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We know exactly what's going to happen if we do. I wanna see where the plot goes if we say gently caress it and go back to sleep.

Edit: Also why is this thread not gilded yet? :five:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
It's way the gently caress too early to get up and investigate hauntings. Head under the pillow, back to sleep.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Not worth losing any more sleep over

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, pay no mind. We gotta be rested up for our big day at the museum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

quote:

Years ago an evil sorceress got angry at the King's best knight, Sir Edmund Saxton. You know, our ancestor?

“Kip, Kip! It’s Edmund! Your ancestor, Edmund Saxton?! You know that chilling shriek you’re looking for? Well listen to THIS!”

(Investigate the shriek.)