Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of being able to tell a fleet to intercept enemy forces in my space, and if they're all dead, then go kill enemy fleets in their space, and if they're all dead go bomb starbases, etc. Especially by the end of the game I kind of stop caring about random tiny enemy fleets in my space, but it would be cool if I could just automate a response force to kill them for me.

:same: even a repair and then rally to x command would be huge.

Stellaris is good .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

Same. I also like the orc, and will enjoy killing the gnomes.

Space hipster orcs.

"I spent last year committing genocide on this quaint little planet, you probably never heard about it."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mom, I purge who I want! YOU DONT OWN ME!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can we get an option with the humanoid pick to change skin colours of normal humans to like... blue, so i can play as gamilans

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've only had the game for a couple weeks now, but having just abandoned a campaign due to the fallen empire federation wrecking me by sending 5 fleets at a time during war I think I'd much rather admirals and stuff be given a trampoline type attribute instead of adding another soft ceiling to fleet size. By that I mean Admirals should have a free body guard unit, or even just a small "maintenance free" capacity of around 5 units that can be upgraded through research. While they're at it give governors an auto-building milita capacity that gets spread throughout the planets they're governing. Maybe some buffs to military stations in their territory too.

Edit: hell give governors a roaming fighter fleet based off of the number of military stations in their territory might be a better idea. The big problem with the fleet size is that the game doesn't have any garrisoning requirements for invasions, any real sort of attrition mechanics, nor does it have supply lines. Fleets should have to dedicate maybe 10% of their force to staying behind and garrisoning the planets they capture, not just be able to have everyone up and leave, AND gain a free garrison for the planet they conquered.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 1, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I want the cyclopeans to get a malus for lacking binocular vision.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

So this might be the full roundup of humanoids:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/936569537360785411

Eh, one or two good ones, but mostly butt ugly. I'll still buy the DLC for the sweet, sweet ships, of course!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/936643992820822016

Well, this is nice!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any possibility of the science nexus getting a buff? Maybe make it a percentage increase on research acquisition, like dark matter does for physics research, for each stage you complete. First stage society, second stage engineering, third stage physics. Add a +1% modifier for each tier. That would be a meaningful buff compared to the piddly, non-scaling amount of research it grants now. A single slot on a halo world covered in upgraded science labs with an assisting researcher scientist does almost as good a job as the science nexus, or 3-4 habitats with research facilities.

Like for the most amazing research station in all the known universe, +225 research for each flavor after fully upgrading seems kinda poopy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah, no more fleets suiciding them selves against the fortress!

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Any possibility of the science nexus getting a buff? Maybe make it a percentage increase on research acquisition, like dark matter does for physics research, for each stage you complete. First stage society, second stage engineering, third stage physics. Add a +1% modifier for each tier. That would be a meaningful buff compared to the piddly, non-scaling amount of research it grants now. A single slot on a halo world covered in upgraded science labs with an assisting researcher scientist does almost as good a job as the science nexus, or 3-4 habitats with research facilities.

Like for the most amazing research station in all the known universe, +225 research for each flavor after fully upgrading seems kinda poopy

Science nexus doesn't incur the added planet nor pop penalty to your research though. The fully upgraded ringworld is gonna increase the science required by some amount whereas the science nexus gives you the boost for free.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah, it's really about playing a tall empire since the flat science income scales up real hard with smaller empire(s).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the nexus is like a +225 for every science tile building.

Only slightly better cos it doesn't take up a tile or need a pop. That's your point of comparison.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

Woah, no more fleets suiciding them selves against the fortress!

I've been using the fortress as a shield against my (much stronger) neighbors in my current game. My closest (and worst-defended) planet is one jump away from the Fortress, and enemy units that try to path through there end up fighting the fortress.The way the galaxy hyperlane network is set up, anyone who wants to attack me from the galactic east MUST come through that region. There are ways around it, multiple really, but the fortress is on the shortest path and thus the AI hits it every time.

This has allowed me to declare war three times against much stronger alliances and win, because their combined fleet comes in, suicides against the fortress, then I can go take a few planets, smash their fleets one by one as they come in to retake those planets before rampaging across the area.

They actually took down all the little floaty pieces last time before they died, so that tactic won't work much longer. Sadly.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been using the fortress as a shield against my (much stronger) neighbors in my current game. My closest (and worst-defended) planet is one jump away from the Fortress, and enemy units that try to path through there end up fighting the fortress.The way the galaxy hyperlane network is set up, anyone who wants to attack me from the galactic east MUST come through that region. There are ways around it, multiple really, but the fortress is on the shortest path and thus the AI hits it every time.

This has allowed me to declare war three times against much stronger alliances and win, because their combined fleet comes in, suicides against the fortress, then I can go take a few planets, smash their fleets one by one as they come in to retake those planets before rampaging across the area.

They actually took down all the little floaty pieces last time before they died, so that tactic won't work much longer. Sadly.

My experience with building fortresses in non-planet systems is that you have to build one in every every system that could possible be moved through to get this to happen. Did you just get lucky that the AI is pathing through the system, or am I missing something? I've had the same thing happen, but I doubt it payed off the 10-20 or so fortresses I had to build before they'd start pathing through fortress systems. I forget the galaxy style I picked, but it's the one with even distribution instead of arms, so that probably effects things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Split Pea Superman posted:

My experience with building fortresses in non-planet systems is that you have to build one in every every system that could possible be moved through to get this to happen. Did you just get lucky that the AI is pathing through the system, or am I missing something? I've had the same thing happen, but I doubt it payed off the 10-20 or so fortresses I had to build before they'd start pathing through fortress systems. I forget the galaxy style I picked, but it's the one with even distribution instead of arms, so that probably effects things.

Enigmatic Fortress, sorry.

And yeah they're just pathing through it as it's the shortest path from the nearest one-hyperlane chokepoint to my weakest/closest planet

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
He's talking about the Enigmatic Fortress, not player-built ones.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

He's talking about the Enigmatic Fortress, not player-built ones.

I've yet to encounter one. Should I look it up, or is it a big story thing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Split Pea Superman posted:

I've yet to encounter one. Should I look it up, or is it a big story thing?

It's one of the "Leviathans," large mid/late-game creates/events that came with the DLC of the same name.

Others include the Dimensional Horror, Ether Drake, Automated Dreadnought, etc.

Of them, only the Horror and the Enigmatic Fortress really work well as "traps" along those lines, as they're instantly hostile and engage across a large distance. Technically the Fortress can be avoided, but its aggro area is huge.

The others are easily avoidable within their system, either because it takes time for them to move into range or because they're stationary.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

hey this fortress is unpowered now and was really owning us whta should we do, i dunno how about give it a ton of power?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hey this fortress is unpowered now and was really owning us whta should we do, i dunno how about give it a ton of power?

I really loved the quest chain for the EF the first time I did it.

Question for those of you who have played the game more than I: is there a right and wrong option? And if so, are the right/wrong options always the same?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shadowlyger posted:

I'd like an event where you destroy all of the hyperlanes in the galaxy, kicking off a desperate race to develop an FTL type that doesn't suck.

The game you want will still exist! Just use an old patch. You are under no obligation to play free or paid updates. :ssh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ConfusedUs posted:

I really loved the quest chain for the EF the first time I did it.

Question for those of you who have played the game more than I: is there a right and wrong option? And if so, are the right/wrong options always the same?

yeah wrong selections kills the dudes you send in and reactivates the fortress, then my fleet blew it up a second time and it for real exploded instead of shut down, dunno if it reappears.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I got its sweet sweet power cores that my scientists don't really understand. Nothing went wrong.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The game you want will still exist! Just use an old patch. You are under no obligation to play free or paid updates. :ssh:

Hi, the other updates are cool. Hyperlanes only is poo poo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

jump drives > hyperlanes > warp drive > the one where you can't use the federation fleet because you can't get a construction ship to the allied system it's stuck in

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you've got a migration treaty with a species that has a different climate preference, is there a good way to colonize a planet that you can't inhabit and get them to migrate there?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I colonized the Planet of Godzillas and they got ticked off about it and took over my planet and I can't figure out how to kill all the Godzillas.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

gizmojumpjet posted:

I colonized the Planet of Godzillas and they got ticked off about it and took over my planet and I can't figure out how to kill all the Godzillas.

I tamed the Godzillas and they joined my army and then I made them psychic Godzillas.

Enemy morale tends to break more or less instantly.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

gizmojumpjet posted:

Make lots and lots of assault armies (like 30-40) and send them all down at once.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

If you've got a migration treaty with a species that has a different climate preference, is there a good way to colonize a planet that you can't inhabit and get them to migrate there?

Build a robot on one of your planets & then colonize the target using said robot. You can then deconstruct the original robot, or save him incase a similar situation arises. Once you have some aliens on your new planet you can also deconstruct the colonizing robot.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Note that you need droids or better in order to colonize with them. If you don't have that tech yet you'll have to wait.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 1, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

The other poster's want you to use droids, but if you do want to use the other race make sure you check the allow colonization box in the species menu. IDK if there are techs or anything else you might have to research. Private colony ships(the unity tech under commerce) built through the construction queue have a random race from what I understand, but if you use the expansion planner or the colonization button on the planet you can select the race for the private colony ships. Expansion planner might give you different options for your case too.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think the issue is none of the aliens have migrated to his empire (presumably because the two races have mutually exclusive habitability's) and he would like to be able to colonize a normally uninhabitable planet type & then have them immigrate from outside the empire to that planet. I don't think you can get colony ships for a race completely foreign to your empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah migration treaties are awkward in that if you get one with someone quite different from you climate wise, none of their guys will actually want to migrate to your worlds because they're horrible to them, and thus you can't colonise any worlds that would be nice for them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just ended up resettling the pops. Is there a way to peacefully integrate other empires (assuming they're not so overwhelmingly tiny you can vassalize them)? Someone dropped a colony right in the middle of a cluster of nice planets

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Nope. Conquer or vassalize. If you get lucky a third party might force them to release that colony as an independent empire or there might be a rebellion there & then you might be able to diplo-vassal them.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I think the issue is none of the aliens have migrated to his empire (presumably because the two races have mutually exclusive habitability's) and he would like to be able to colonize a normally uninhabitable planet type & then have them immigrate from outside the empire to that planet. I don't think you can get colony ships for a race completely foreign to your empire.

I've yet to use it, but the private colony ship will generate a random race if you build it through the shipyard from my understanding. IDK if he has the right pop from his treaty yet, but you can get colony ships with a random race with the transtellar corporation tech from the prosperity unity tree. Could always try and colonize a mid-point planet if he hasn't gotten anything from the migration treaty yet though.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I just ended up resettling the pops. Is there a way to peacefully integrate other empires (assuming they're not so overwhelmingly tiny you can vassalize them)? Someone dropped a colony right in the middle of a cluster of nice planets

Maybe you could buy it from them? IDK if the AI will actually trade a planet, but that's the only other option I can think of. Plopping down some more colonies in the area will push his borders back some, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you don't have anywhere else to expand. The border friction might force them to war dec you though if you're worried about declaring on them.

Edit: maybe the more aggressive orbital bombardments raze the colony if they kill all the pops? Never tried this.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Caustic Soda posted:

It's been moved to the planet screen specifically, the first of the four IIRC.

NOpe

I also can't trade it back to the empire i took it from

• Locked thread