Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How White House aides are keeping Trump from his phone. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

If Trump and Pence both go who is next in line?

Also, do you think there might have to be new elections?

There is no provision in the US constitution for new elections.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Remember that none of this matters unless enough GOP House members agree to impeach Trump. I'm as ecstatic as the next person to see all this come to light, but it's meaningless unless you're willing to bet on House Republicans having real beliefs.

Impeachment is not the only avenue through which this could matter.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/Comey/status/936641449294286848

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Unzip and Attack posted:

Remember that none of this matters unless enough GOP House members agree to impeach Trump. I'm as ecstatic as the next person to see all this come to light, but it's meaningless unless you're willing to bet on House Republicans having real beliefs.

I think all of us are assuming that if impeachment happens, it would begin with the next congress in 2019 after a massive blue wave crushes the GOP.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Boy the garbagefuck-in-chief sure is quiet on Twitter today.

The Secret Service probably have orders to shoot him with rhino tranquilizer if he goes anywhere near his phone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/936642205569216512

That DACA bit is...odd.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Josef bugman posted:

Urgh, so what happens afterwards to make things better?

Like if Trump and Pence go down, will they try and take the other Repubs with them? Like could there be anything like "It wasn't just us they did it as well" going on?

And if that does happen how many seats down would the Republicans and Democrats be?

If the impeachment happens quick enough to take down the entire Republican presidential administration, there will be such a Democratic wave in the midterms next year that the President won't really matter.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

If the GOP is smart they will gun for impeachment and complete the process *asap* so they end up with President Ryan instead of a President Pelosi.

But the GOP is not smart.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Comey/status/936641449294286848

:allears:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Best hope is that however things fall, the GOP will have lost the mandate to govern and will be reduced to seatwarming until 2018/2020.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/936641348266090502

Mood

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Like if Trump and Pence go down, will they try and take the other Repubs with them? Like could there be anything like "It wasn't just us they did it as well" going on?

And if that does happen how many seats down would the Republicans and Democrats be?

Trump, sure, but there's probably not much he can do to really save his skin. He's the president, he's sort of top of the totem pole here. I'd bet on spite getting him to do it though.

I'm more curious if the president in this theoretical situation changes when the speaker of the house changes. That is if Trump and Pence were to get impeached today but the Republicans lost the house in the mid-term, does Ryan stay on as president or does he get booted?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Is Comey gloating? I don't know if thats such a good idea...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You're not getting DACA you giant loving idiot, you sold out for nothing.

gently caress everyone in the Senate with an R next to their name for this abomination.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josef bugman posted:

If impeachment happens, it's going to take a long time. If Trump gets removed from office (big if), it probably won't happen until after the 2018 elections, so by that point Nancy Pelosi might be the new Speaker.

More likely, Trump isn't going to get removed from office but this whole Russia business torpedos his re-election campaign and Democrats win in 2020.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So assuming the GOP passes this, what stops a Dem controlled House, Senate, and WH from absolutely turbofucking the corporations and wealthy in 2021?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm not clear if the House will pass a tax bill that gets Collins's vote. Republican leadership obviously wants them to do it, but will the hyper-conservatives baulk at whatever is required to get her vote?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Josef bugman posted:

If Trump and Pence both go who is next in line?

Also, do you think there might have to be new elections?

Ryan, then the Senate pro tempore (I think it's Hatch), then you start going through the Cabinet. New elections are not authorized for the Presidency, if the entire line of succession was killed somehow the House would pick a new president by electing them Speaker.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't believe that, yet again, I have to hope that the recalcitrant baby wing of the House of Representatives bangs their plastic spoons on their high chairs long enough to scuttle terrible Death Cult legislation.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Unzip and Attack posted:

this is a dumbass take and only perpetuates the notion that nothing matters until trump dies or is in jail

kushner being charged matters

don jr being charged matters

manafort, flynn and co already being charged matters

seriously gently caress off forever with this dumbass bullshit

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am :stare: personified right now.

I figured Flynn flipped on Kushner but to hear that he's testifying that Trump ordered him to talk to Russia is nuts. That's the ball game, right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

So assuming the GOP passes this, what stops a Dem controlled House, Senate, and WH from absolutely turbofucking the corporations and wealthy in 2021?

Reality mostly.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Well my hype has gone from 100% to 90% now that it's "Trump transition team leaders" and not "Trump himself". Or actually it could still be Trump himself but I'm seeing both around the net now. Please be Trump himself.

Looks like everything before he got to court was "Trump" but after that it's been "Trump team"? Probably just semantics but I want them to get ol Cheeto himself.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 1, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

SUrprised there's no tweet yet.

He's probably still screaming impotently. Give it a little more time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not clear if the House will pass a tax bill that gets Collins's vote. Republican leadership obviously wants them to do it, but will the hyper-conservatives baulk at whatever is required to get her vote?

I think they already have.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Is Comey gloating? I don't know if thats such a good idea...

Nah, he's just showing off his photography skills and quoting a bible verse.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Flake is on board, then they don't even need Collins anymore.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

No Butt Stuff posted:

The fact that that is not a thing democrats are interested in doing?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Democrats themselves.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just a thought, doesn't this bill add more to the deficit than Bennie's single payer bill? So therefore you could make Bernie's single payer revenue neutral by including a repeal of this bill in it?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

No Butt Stuff posted:

hahaha

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

I think they already have.

If they change anything to get Collins's or Flake's vote on it will need to pass the house again either unchanged from the senate version or after changes in a conference committee (that would trigger another senate vote as well).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I, uh, think you linked the wrong site there pal.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rigel posted:

Paul Ryan, and no. The United States has no mechanism at all to call for snap elections for the president and vice president.

It says a lot about how far we've come that President Paul Ryan sounds pretty good right about now

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, the three GOP no votes on this would have been Flake, Corker, and Collins-- everybody assumed that Flake and Corker would hold to their respective guns and that Collins would be the swing, but it looks like they bought Flake off first. It'll pass.

Now we see how reconciliation goes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chuck and Nancy will promise not to execute trump if he vetoes the tax bill.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Right, so we think that the Dems would love to stop this bill, but would do absolutely nothing to fix it because "lol dems"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/936643578792693760

Actual plea agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He's probably still screaming impotently. Give it a little more time.

He has no excuse, he’s been impotent for years! :rimshot:

• Locked thread