Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I loved the first game, any chance that this will be better than chronicles x? That burned me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why did they change the names anyways. did they think if a westerner sees a non western fantasy name that they'd be unable to comprehend the game or something.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a probably stupid question about the battle system but if anyone could maybe enlighten me. I'll keep it as unspoilery as possible.

I'm not very far into the game, so maybe that is the problem, but I have party members now but no blade yet. In battle I see this stuff pop up in the top right and I'm really not sure what it's telling me or what I'm supposed to do with it. I'm running out of buttons to frantically mash in the hopes of something happening.

It's labeled as #5 on the official "battle page" here and it's apparently called the Blade Combo Tree but even that and their description helps me nothing because none of the names that pop up there mean anything to me. Is this not a thing yet because I don't have a blade yet or what's up with that? I feel like I'm missing some integral thing here.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why did they change the names anyways. did they think if a westerner sees a non western fantasy name that they'd be unable to comprehend the game or something.

In general it's possible for certain kinds of names to carry particular cultural connotations that are completely lost on foreign audiences, so it may be appropriate in a localization to change them. I have no idea whether that's in play here because I’m almost completely ignorant of Japanese.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

abraxas posted:

I have a probably stupid question about the battle system but if anyone could maybe enlighten me. I'll keep it as unspoilery as possible.

I'm not very far into the game, so maybe that is the problem, but I have party members now but no blade yet. In battle I see this stuff pop up in the top right and I'm really not sure what it's telling me or what I'm supposed to do with it. I'm running out of buttons to frantically mash in the hopes of something happening.

It's labeled as #5 on the official "battle page" here and it's apparently called the Blade Combo Tree but even that and their description helps me nothing because none of the names that pop up there mean anything to me. Is this not a thing yet because I don't have a blade yet or what's up with that? I feel like I'm missing some integral thing here.

Progress further and it will unlock.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Played through the prologue, and I can't decide which voice track to use. I would go for the Japanese voice track, but Im sure to notice the name differences and I don't want to miss out on post-combat dialogue. But the English track has terrible lip syncing.

Also, there was a tutorial based about how timing an art at the same time as an auto-attack gives a bonus, but I didn't catch what the confirmation indication was, so I have no clue if I'm timing it right. Can anyone clue me in on this?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CuddlyZombie posted:

Also, there was a tutorial based about how timing an art at the same time as an auto-attack gives a bonus, but I didn't catch what the confirmation indication was, so I have no clue if I'm timing it right. Can anyone clue me in on this?
I know it's supposed to fill your bar more, but I don't know if it has a visual indicator. That's not helpful so I guess I'm actually joining you in asking.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I loved the first game, any chance that this will be better than chronicles x? That burned me out

no idea yet but it seems very likely since this is more a sequel to XC1 than XCX, which does a shitload of things differently and did away with the "world on the backs of beasts" element

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

CuddlyZombie posted:

Played through the prologue, and I can't decide which voice track to use. I would go for the Japanese voice track, but Im sure to notice the name differences and I don't want to miss out on post-combat dialogue. But the English track has terrible lip syncing.

It's like a blue circle around your character when you get it right. Kind of like a bubble expanding I guess? Kind of weird to explain. You'll know you got it if you finish the auto attack and then immediately do the art. Otherwise your dude will stop mid attack and do the art, then you didn't get it.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

CuddlyZombie posted:

I also played through the prologue but with JP voice track. The lip syncing is kind of hit or miss in JP as well, but not as bad as the English dub I imagine. It's still early on but Aside from the name changes, I think the localization to English was done really well.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

abraxas posted:

It's like a blue circle around your character when you get it right. Kind of like a bubble expanding I guess? Kind of weird to explain. You'll know you got it if you finish the auto attack and then immediately do the art. Otherwise your dude will stop mid attack and do the art, then you didn't get it.

Thanks, I think I figured it out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Everyone who calls the dub bad can't be british because I am loving these accents.

Nia's voice? I know that accent. I am very familiar with that accent. I know a ton of people with that accent. And they definitely gave her that accent on purpose because Nia is a name used in Wales.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Already printed my return label. :( It's mostly the comments about how long it takes to do everything and the complication that are pushing me away. I just had a kid and time will be limited, and when I get back around to playing again I'll have forgotten how the systems work so I'm going to pass on this one. Maybe they'll patch some of this later down the line and I'll revisit. :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also as a heads up for the prologue - don't sell anything you get from salvaging until you get the tutorial on selling them in sets. They're worth a lot more that way and it makes salvaging a decent way to make some money.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slime posted:

Everyone who calls the dub bad can't be british because I am loving these accents.

Nia's voice? I know that accent. I am very familiar with that accent. I know a ton of people with that accent. And they definitely gave her that accent on purpose because Nia is a name used in Wales.

I'm British and the bits I heard in the trailer sounded like an episode of Frasier whenever Daphne's family appeared.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man we are going heavy on the slapstick in this game huh?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Already printed my return label. :( It's mostly the comments about how long it takes to do everything and the complication that are pushing me away. I just had a kid and time will be limited, and when I get back around to playing again I'll have forgotten how the systems work so I'm going to pass on this one. Maybe they'll patch some of this later down the line and I'll revisit. :shrug:

Shrug I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and a baby. The type of combat and mindless exploring is what I need, but to each their own.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I'm actually enjoying XC2 more than I enjoyed the earlier games at 13 hours in. I'm also really starting to enjoy the dub so maybe I just like bad things? Either way the reviews seem dumb as hell to me.

If you neeeeeed the story to be subvertive or something then maybe its not for you but there are enough well written, genuinely enjoyable characters that the story is a genuine plus for me, even if the pacing is starting to feel a little off.

The game is good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh my god the thread title is perfect

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is game good?

Should I buy game?

(I already bought game)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, Rex's VA made me laugh early on. He just made a "heh HEY" noise that was pretty drat funny. I'm on board with all the regional dialects.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I don't have a switch yet but I'm genuinely interested to hear opinions from people who preferred XcX to the 1st Xenoblade.

I realize that's not a massive amount of people but I'm curious.

Also, from anyone, how are the characters? I'm not a fan of any of the designs I've seen but I'm willing to overlook it if the game is strong enough (I'm looking at you, FFX).

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm totally fine with the voice acting, but Rex really needs to work on his yelling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Game is cool, I just wish Pyra was as proactive in battles as she was in the cutscenes :sigh:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hey you know how one of the best parts of Xenoblade was that all of the character's actions and motivations generally made sense and they never really acted like out of character idiots for the sake of the plot? Well, I wish that was in this game too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I save Pyra and reuinite with Gramps and Nia and even though all of these characters know a lot more about whats going on none of them feel the need to tell Rex anything because....????? It's stupid

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mabels big day posted:

I save Pyra and reuinite with Gramps and Nia and even though all of these characters know a lot more about whats going on none of them feel the need to tell Rex anything because....????? It's stupid
he didn't ask

or at least he didn't ask if he's anything like he is so far, I just got to the point where you get separated

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Rex is a simple boy and wouldn't understand.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Given my current guesses as to where the story is going I'm thinking there's a pretty good reason they don't tell him what's going on.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

mabels big day posted:

Hey you know how one of the best parts of Xenoblade was that all of the character's actions and motivations generally made sense and they never really acted like out of character idiots for the sake of the plot? Well, I wish that was in this game too.

Shh, shh, just watch the big action sequences and don't think about it too hard.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Played 5 and half hours last night. Played more on the bus to work and beat Morag. Game’s good.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

How does hand held feel?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Right now I should be playing this game and occasionally looking at the collectors edition art book while I poop, but unfortunately my shipment has been delayed in Portland since 3pm yesterday. :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

^burtle posted:

How does hand held feel?

It chunks up a bit when you turn the camera fast, but mostly fine. Controls the same, maybe better since the individual d-pad buttons work better. Glad I bought a power bank because my commute took it down to 40 some odd percent.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It chunks up a bit when you turn the camera fast, but mostly fine. Controls the same, maybe better since the individual d-pad buttons work better. Glad I bought a power bank because my commute took it down to 40 some odd percent.

Not too worried about power, but I have a feeling I'll be grinding side quests in HH while watching TV with the lady, and doing plot on the dock.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Got about 4 hours in so far, really liking this game a lot so far. English VA work is very spotty in places but overall I like it enough to keep using it. T&A factor is of course completely off the charts but the game is pretty charming.

I played it in portable mode first and I think it's totally playable, but it's definitely a lot nicer docked. Looks like it will get about 4 hours of battery power in portable mode which is awesome.

Biggest complaint so far is that they really, REALLY do not put their best foot forward with the combat system. It's just super duper slow auto-attacking at the beginning, they really should have started Rex with all his basic skills and a lovely super and a faster auto attack, at the very least.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Yeah I'm glad I watched some spoilery reviews before playing so that I knew how to use cancel attacks etc because otherwise the early combat would be kinda unbearable.

So far this game feels like a next gen XBC1 with the anime turned up to 11 so it's about what I expected.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The jump is awful I hope there's an upgrade to it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Leathal posted:

Yeah I'm glad I watched some spoilery reviews before playing so that I knew how to use cancel attacks etc because otherwise the early combat would be kinda unbearable.

So far this game feels like a next gen XBC1 with the anime turned up to 11 so it's about what I expected.

cancel attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

cancel attacks?

During your auto-attack strings, you can cancel into an Art just as you're hitting the enemy for a boost in damage and elemental arts meter. The last hit in the auto-attack string produces the biggest bonus. i.e., Rex's thrust when using Pyra's sword.

Edit: When performed correctly, you’ll see a blue glowing circle spreading outward.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2017