Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"... I just don't want to be there when it happens."
- Woody Allen, probably.

The Flyers are bad!

The Oilers are bad!

The Golden Knights.... aren't bad!

Hockey is bad!

Let's talk about how our teams are bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Jokes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey Connor, you can ask out today, and no one would blame you. Sure the citizens of Edmonton would likely burn you in effigy for the rest of time, but who cares about them really? The rest of us would welcome you with open arms. A lost sheep returning to the fold. The prodigal son back from his years of darkness. You can be free Connor. Just go to Pete and say the words. It doesn't have to be this way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the riots over who gets to claim Connor would be way more violent and widespread than the riots in Edmonton for losing him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy moly look at the pile of trash that is the Atlantic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Martytoof posted:

Holy moly look at the pile of trash that is the Atlantic.

The Lightning, Leafs, and a dumpster fire.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

iospace posted:

The Lightning, Leafs, and a dumpster fire.

They're still trash, just not currently "bad at hockey" trash.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I was worried about Boston with their games in hand then realized that they would leap frog Montreal and sit in the Atl bracket and the Pens were still relatively safe in their spot with only the Rags and potentially Carolina could leap frog them. Man even with some of the issues the Metro teams have the Atlantic manages to be even worse.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the red wings are really bad

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I haven't accounted for GP but:

Atlantic - 209 total points, team average 26.12
Metro - 231 total points, team average 28.87
Pacific - 213 total points, team average 26.62
Central - 212 total points, team average 30.29

So the Central is 1 point down on the pacific and 3 up on the atlantic with only 7 loving team. Central teams averaging a point and a half more than the next best and about 4 points over the other two.

gently caress the Central, is what I'm saying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie O'Connor with a pretty good look at Hakstol's long term status

quote:

But in my opinion, a midseason coaching change for this team should remain a last resort. Generally, a team fires a coach in December or January if the front office had high expectations for that season and is looking to salvage things — think the John Stevens-for-Peter Laviolette move in 2009, or the Mike Johnston-for-Mike Sullivan switch in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure what the Flyers would be trying to salvage here. At best, this was always looking like a bubble playoff team, with an absolute best-case scenario being a second-round exit. Right now, HockeyViz.com has Philadelphia's playoff odds at 25 percent, and considering Toronto earned the second wild-card spot in the East with a 40-27-15 record last year, the Flyers would have to go 32-17-8 the rest of the way to match that. Which doesn't seem likely, even with a “better” coach.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is a great way to spend Erik’s last full season with Ottawa.

Bad garbage hockey, but also losing. Thanks Guy!

At least we replaced that scrub Turris with the excellent and prolific scorer Duschene.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

At least we replaced that scrub Turris with the excellent and prolific scorer Duschene.

On the bright side Eugene saved a few million bucks and all it cost him was a 1st round pick and those things are literally free!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Edmonton claimed Nathan Walker on waivers, and apparently more than one team put a claim on him.

He's not a high-ceiling player but I can't believe the Capitals let him go for nothing, he's still been one of their best 4th liners this year. Brian MacLellan is having a terrible year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I'm loving these Edmonton sports journalists rushing to cover for Kris Russell last night while spending the last 2 weeks bitching about McDavid not being good enough defensively

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'm loving these Edmonton sports journalists rushing to cover for Kris Russell last night while spending the last 2 weeks bitching about McDavid not being good enough defensively

Spector's whiny "I'm not angry you guys are I'm the cool one gently caress you shut up" article he posted late last night is all kinds of delicious.

quote:

Kris Russell gets lost in today’s National Hockey League, a throw-back, 1980’s, blood ‘n’ guts defenceman who dies on the table for the numbers surgeons in 2017.

The analytics folks? They can’t stand the poor guy, whose intangible attributes are unquantifiable, and certainly no match for the Fancy Stats his game spits out.

But his teammates? There is a special place in the hearts of hockey players for guys who do what Kris Russell does, and they’d fight a mad bull for him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-return-favour-standing-russell-gaffe/

I get that driving page views by being deliberately irritating is his schtick, but I can't deny it's funny watching him become unhinged as he's tumbled from his Oilers are for real perch in the summer.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Ryan McDonagh is apparently back for tonight’s game against Carolina so no more Smith-Holden pairing thank goodness.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Brock Boeser is real fuckin good you guys

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh yeah, Leafs can hit 100 goals on the season first with 2 more against Vancouver tomorrow.

LET'S LOOK AT THE TOP SCORERS OF THIS JUGGERNAUT.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000382018.html

Fuckin nice Connor Brown.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

Brock Boeser is real fuckin good you guys

I swore last night they were hoping he'd be around to get the hat trick attempt before they buried the empty netter.

But yeah, he's only a rookie and he's scary :stare:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You guys aren't measuring things like grit and gumption!
What do you mean "gumption can be measured as a reflection of performance?" and what even is the "hits" catagory?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's gonna be great when the leafs get bounced in round 1 again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

What about the Habs?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

I swore last night they were hoping he'd be around to get the hat trick attempt before they buried the empty netter.

There have been three games where he's had two goals and the opposition goalie gets pulled. The team doesn't even try and play defence, it just becomes a "set Brock up no matter what the cost" exercise.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

iospace posted:

What about the Habs?

they're gonna get dahlin and bergevin is gonna get fired it's gonna be great

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

iospace posted:

But yeah, he's only a rookie and he's scary :stare:

He's gonna get paid in a couple years, good thing 14m is coming off the books

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

yellowcar posted:

After all those years of playing into June they'll probably welcome the relief.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Drunk Canuck posted:

Oh yeah, Leafs can hit 100 goals on the season first with 2 more against Vancouver tomorrow.

LET'S LOOK AT THE TOP SCORERS OF THIS JUGGERNAUT.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000382018.html

Fuckin nice Connor Brown.

Nazem Kadri just quietly chugging along at 23 points in 27 games despite being the team's shut-down centre and basically the only defensive centre on the roster.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

yellowcar posted:

they're gonna get dahlin and bergevin is gonna get fired it's gonna be great

Dahlin and Taveres

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

After all those years of playing into June they'll probably welcome the relief.

aspirations of just making the playoffs :sad:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Nazem Kadri just quietly chugging along at 23 points in 27 games despite being the team's shut-down centre and basically the only defensive centre on the roster.

He’s really turned into everything people were hoping he would be.

Don Cherry was right

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Kadri for Selke or bust

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/936674438044667904

Welllllllllp

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

iospace posted:

What about the Habs?

Will probably not get bounced in round one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Martytoof posted:

Will probably not get bounced in round one.

Can't get bounced in round one if you don't make the playoffs.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Are you loving kidding? I literally just dropped Forsberg yesterday trying to find a starter to spot me til Murray gets back. My fantasy goalies are a shitshow this year.

OTOH maybe the Blackhawks will lose some hockey games which is always good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Tamps isn't really good because their division is trash and they just beat up on the lovely teams all the time

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, he was slow to get up after those three shots in a row by Elie. Looked like he might have take one on the side of the leg/knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

He's single-handedly responsible for like 1/3 of the Hawks' wins this season, so that doesn't bode well.

• Locked thread