Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Probably not, because he seems to be very demanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I remember when this project was first announced, one of the selling points was "they're giving Bryan Fuller a huge budget, way bigger than on Hannibal!" Do networks not have accountants? How was this not, like, forseen?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
gently caress. gently caress. Well, there goes a great show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I mean it can still probably be a good show

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean it can still probably be a good show

I mean yeah, it COULD, but Fuller's style is so unique, and the first season was exploding with it. It'll be hard to emulate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't imagine that not just one, but two showrunners leaving wouldn't make this show very different than the one we've been getting...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean, David Lynch walked away from Twin Peaks season 3 over budget issues, and the network caved. Maybe that'll happen here too?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Well that really sucks... I was really enjoying this show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cptn_dr posted:

I mean, David Lynch walked away from Twin Peaks season 3 over budget issues, and the network caved. Maybe that'll happen here too?

He wants a Game of Thrones budget for a show that pulled an 0.3 for its finale. They won’t cave.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't Budget be discussed 6 months ago when it was renewed?

It seems weird that it would happen now. I wonder if we'll get the other side of the story.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I mean yeah, it COULD, but Fuller's style is so unique, and the first season was exploding with it. It'll be hard to emulate.
Yeah though I staying on this ship unless Gaiman is forced out of creative, then I will jump off and cry

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

xerxus posted:

Wouldn't Budget be discussed 6 months ago when it was renewed?

It seems weird that it would happen now. I wonder if we'll get the other side of the story.

Fuller was also kicked off of his own show Dead Like Me after a mere six episodes over 'creative differences.' Not to mention Star Trek, which no way was that only about budget/timelines and nothing else.

Reading between the lines of various interviews etc I've read from various people, he seems like a guy who cast and crew absolutely love to work with and networks really kinda hate, because he has A Vision and fights like hell to achieve it, executives and budgets and marketability be damned. And then keeps getting critical acclaim and networks keep seeing dollar signs and they somehow forget that dude is notorious for not really caring about dollar signs.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 30, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fuuuuck. This is lame.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

showbiz_liz posted:

Fuller was also kicked off of his own show Dead Like Me after a mere six episodes over 'creative differences.' Not to mention Star Trek, which no way was that only about budget/timelines and nothing else.

Reading between the lines of various interviews etc I've read from various people, he seems like a guy who cast and crew absolutely love to work with and networks really kinda hate, because he has A Vision and fights like hell to achieve it, executives and budgets and marketability be damned. And then keeps getting critical acclaim and networks keep seeing dollar signs and they somehow forget that dude is notorious for not really caring about dollar signs.

Maybe netflix will peel off a couple ten millions from that $9B programming budget for 2018 to just let him do whatever because, I mean, what are they spending it on?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great, I guess I can sit down and watch the first season of American Gods again since there won't be another of that magic. drat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Maybe netflix will peel off a couple ten millions from that $9B programming budget for 2018 to just let him do whatever because, I mean, what are they spending it on?

13 Reasons Why cost 5 million dollars an episode to make. For a show starring unknowns who spend most of their time talking.

Insane.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Goddamn, Media's a spiteful bitch. :sigh:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think a movie would be a pretty good continuation of the show. The show all but set it up. But Fuller doesn’t do movies and they’re just gonna make a half-baked sequel so whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Bryan Fuller ever going to see a show through to its end on his own terms? Dude really needs to partner with a streaming service.

Or set realistic goals.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Well, this sucks

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So, does his absence really affect next season? Surely a lot of this is planned out and/or shot already.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think American Gods was going to be one of those shows to release a season whenever, like every two to three years, so they probably haven't shot anything yet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This just proves that the most powerful American God is Capitalism.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Here is what Neil is saying
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/936270368758779904

Also John Hamm is Gabriel in Good Omens
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/936263553404882945

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Jon Hamm working on a Neil Gaiman project is basically my crossover fanfiction coming to life

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Jon Hamm working on a Neil Gaiman project is basically my crossover fanfiction coming to life

Hamm as Superman in Sandman, please before I die

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

So, does his absence really affect next season? Surely a lot of this is planned out and/or shot already.

Apparently they wrote half of the scripts for the season. No shooting had started. So yes, with a new showrunner it is going to be completely different.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

McSpanky posted:

If they somehow throw in a scene of him drinking an Old Spanish, I will probably never stop smiling

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anything to enable my crossover fanfic where Hannibal Lecter and Mickey Rourke cook people on his sex grill, I guess.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Anything to enable my crossover fanfic where Hannibal Lecter and Mickey Rourke cook people on his sex grill, I guess.

Mickey Rourke and Mads Mikkelson would both fit into the diner massacre story from Sandman pretty well, imo

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone just give Fuller infinite money and let him do his thing. ffs I want some quality tv with actual style to it, is that too much to ask for?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeeeep.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McSpanky posted:

Wait was superman in sandman?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait was superman in sandman?

He shows up at Morpheus' funeral, along with Batman and Martian Manhunter

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

He quit over budget, he wanted 10 million per episode, which is similar to the Game of Thrones budges, on a show that does not come close to having 10% of GOT viewers.

So I think it's safe to say that almost nothing has been shot yet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steve Yun posted:

He shows up at Morpheus' funeral, along with Batman and Martian Manhunter

One nice touch about this is that because the funeral takes place in a shared dream, they appear as they see themselves. Superman is there as Clark Kent, but Batman is Batman.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kanonvandekempen posted:

He quit over budget, he wanted 10 million per episode, which is similar to the Game of Thrones budges, on a show that does not come close to having 10% of GOT viewers

It seems like a preposterous amount to demand and I wonder if he did it on purpose because he wanted out for other reasons

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He does kind of seem like someone who gets bored with something pretty quickly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

It seems like a preposterous amount to demand and I wonder if he did it on purpose because he wanted out for other reasons

Yeah that number is insane. Walking Dead, which admittedly has lovely special effects, has a huge cast and is done for roughly 1/3 of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Mama always said if you need five cents don't ask for three, ask for ten.