Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbot posted:

This is probably the dumbest setting. I imagine they want to make a lady James Bond Cold War era spy thriller thing, but I think we've had enough red baiting centrist crap from the primary. If you're going to use a politically grey setting, don't film it in black and white.

by the time the movie comes out red baiting will be even more stupid than it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Ultron the character generally works in that movie (and is maybe the only thing not a complete mess), but no one is listening to him and nothing is learned.

As someone who actually likes AoU, I feel the movie would be worse off if Stark had learned the right lesson from Ultron, mainly because that would end Stark's storyline way ahead of everyone else and it would deprive us of the Ultron v. Vision argument scene, which was great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was extremely important to the story of Diana tho.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

He was extremely important to the story of Diana tho.

How so?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sir Kodiak posted:

In this case the movie should not have ended with an elaborate ten minute fight sequence against an ultimately unimportant figure.

He was very important to Diana, who the movie is named after, so

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they've said Wonder woman 2 will be modern day

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Unironically cast Jason Statham as Captain America and Vegeta in the same movie (he is both those characters already)

I knew the Internet wouldn't disappoint me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

S.J. posted:

He was very important to Diana, who the movie is named after, so

Nah. Her false conception of Ares as the cause of man's conflict was important to her, which is shattered before they fight. Who he actually is has relatively little importance to her.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've explained above his importance psychologically to her but in the movie her whole quest is to kill Ares.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My biggest issue with Ares and WW learning that you cant make everything ok by killing Big Baddy is that....it's a film connected serially to a story where she joins an organization whos purpose is to kill Biggest Baddies.

It's more of an end-story for a WW that quits the JL to focus on more intimate change, not a WW that then seeks even bigger versions of Ares.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

I've explained above his importance psychologically to her but in the movie her whole quest is to kill Ares.

Nah. Her whole quest is to kill a singular entity that is driving mankind to war. It turns out that isn't who Ares is, and yet the big fight at the end is still against him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, even the bleak oppositional reading of Wonder Woman makes a lot more sense if we just forsake pretense and say that this person who is categorically obsessed with unilaterally crushing the threat of war itself is actually more of a god of war than anyone.

However you want to interpret Wonder Woman, it's really difficult to escape the idea that by killing the God of War she becomes the God of War, turning up in BvS with a guitar lick and an insatiable hunger for conflict.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

This is probably the dumbest setting. I imagine they want to make a lady James Bond Cold War era spy thriller thing, but I think we've had enough red baiting centrist crap from the primary. If you're going to use a politically grey setting, don't film it in black and white.

Her mission is to seduce a young Vladimir Putin in order to infiltrate the Soviet Archives on Metahumans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah. Her whole quest is to kill a singular entity that is driving mankind to war. It turns out that isn't who Ares is, and yet the big fight at the end is still against him.

It's against herself imho as I posted above.

That gives the scene meaning. She kills Ares (another Ares) easily but War doesn't end and she goes pretty insane. She then fights herself as Ares and defeats that part of her through love.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

josh04 posted:

However you want to interpret Wonder Woman, it's really difficult to escape the idea that by killing the God of War she becomes the God of War, turning up in BvS with a guitar lick and an insatiable hunger for conflict.

Big CGI Devil-Men - You can't eat just one!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess I should see BvS. I think it's on Netflix.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

K. Waste posted:

Big CGI Devil-Men - You can't eat just one!

"Sith Lords are our speciality!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

definitely don't pay money for it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To be honest, her originally (JL Spoilers) killing Steppenwolf would have been pretty thematically consistent. She won the fight by doing that, but it didn't solve the bigger issue of there being more terrible monsters out there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Doesn’t appear to be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The theatrical version is on HBO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

euphronius posted:

Please do not watch the theatrical version.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Eh, I still haven't got round to watching the extended version in full. My inclination is that unmuddying the waters around what was Lex and what was people acting on their worst instincts probably detracts from the verisimilitude. Real people are messy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The DC is even more bloated than the TC, but if you're watching BvS you're settling yourself into a long watch anyways and you might as well go with the one that's less disjointed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please do not watch the theatrical version.

It's just as good as the UC, which is redundant scenes put back in so nerds could have the plot spelled out for them. The theatrical cut had faith the viewer could concentrate on a movie past costume designs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Director's Cut explains too much, but it also restores a lot of good Superman stuff

We just get to see Clark as a person more and that's super important.

The best cut for BvS is somewhere between the two.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bushisms.txt posted:

It's just as good as the UC, which is redundant scenes put back in so nerds could have the plot spelled out for them.
On the other hand, Jena Malone is in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

This.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Halloween Jack posted:

Doing nothing but telling nerds what they needed to hear to feel good about Superman not stopping the bombing.

Maybe he just wasn't focused?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 1, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bushisms.txt posted:

It's just as good as the UC, which is redundant scenes put back in so nerds could have the plot spelled out for them. The theatrical cut had faith the viewer could concentrate on a movie past costume designs.

It's true, he might find the scenes redundant, which is not great. On the other hand if he actually needs those scenes to comprehend the movie then it's real bad if they're not there. So I made a sort of Pascal's Wager about it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The only thing that I dislike about the UC over TC is the crisis actor bit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The extended version has a sexier bathtub scene

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

It's against herself imho as I posted above.

That gives the scene meaning. She kills Ares (another Ares) easily but War doesn't end and she goes pretty insane. She then fights herself as Ares and defeats that part of her through love.

Do you feel like this comes across visually in the big end fight?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bushisms.txt posted:

Doing nothing but telling nerds what they needed to hear to feel good about Superman not stopping the bombing.

Maybe he just wasn't focused?
In For Ellen she just shows up to get abandoned by a terrible man, so I can live with that.

The Final Superior Double Secret Probation Cut will have Jena Malone playing Barbara Gordon, and Henry Cavill will fry real eggs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only part that is ambiguous is if English man Ares is "real"or a projected psychological phantom. I think the movie leans towards projected phantom. He could be "real" too.

Imho

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While we're talking about WW, Jenkins spoke a bit about WW2 with Variety

quote:

"It’s really still going to other values of hers, and a similar formula insofar as making a great, enjoyable fun movie but that ultimately in its third act turns some very big issues, and a very big experience that will aim to have slightly more weight and profundity than it has to have. Because that’s a formula that I really like, and I like the idea of taking somebody on a very solid, great journey but that arrives at a bigger question being answered. So it’s like that but because she is Wonder Woman and she’s here now and she’s fully developed, it’s got great fun from the start and great big superhero presence from the start, and is funny and a great love story again and a couple new unbelievable characters who I’m so excited about, who are very different than were in the last movie."

http://variety.com/2017/film/podcasts/playback-podcast-patty-jenkins-wonder-woman-1202615293/

Seems too derivative for may tastes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

The only part that is ambiguous is if English man Ares is "real"or a projected psychological phantom. I think the movie leans towards projected phantom. He could be "real" too.

Imho

Okay, but, like, how are we shown this? How is this expressed on screen?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's been a few months but English man Ares first appearance in a reflection in glass where he then floats around and taunts crazed Diana . He also only appears in the moment of her complete breakdown of id. There is some other visual clues tied into the story book at the beginning and English mans monologue which I've forgotten.

Also Steve Bannon - the most honest man in the movie - says repeatedly to the audience that Ares doesn't exist (and she's making him up) etc

Also ww is obviously really loving mad a lot of the time and kills a bunch of loving people and is drawn like a moth to flame to the front of the war ("that's where I'll find Ares!")

Plus the film is real murky about her origin and who she is and her mom is real worried about letting her lose.

There is some other stuff I'll remember later when it's too late.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve Bannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

It's been a few months but English man Ares first appearance in a reflection in glass where he then floats around and taunts crazed Diana . He also only appears in the moment of her complete breakdown of id. There is some other visual clues tied into the story book at the beginning and English mans monologue which I've forgotten.

Also Steve Bannon - the most honest man in the movie - says repeatedly to the audience that Ares doesn't exist (and she's making him up) etc

Also ww is obviously really loving mad a lot of the time and kills a bunch of loving people and is drawn like a moth to flame to the front of the war ("that's where I'll find Ares!")

Plus the film is real murky about her origin and who she is and her mom is real worried about letting her lose.

There is some other stuff I'll remember later when it's too late.

This is an interesting list, though I think that, if this is the way they were going, we should have seen more of it in the actual fight against herself, rather than just the leadup to it.

• Locked thread