Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

julian assflange posted:

Athletico Mince have compiled all the Gangs of the EPL segments into a video: https://youtu.be/9scJWOkvCNo

:rms:

I like Max but it could get old fast if he keeps doing extra bits featuring his wife. I unsubscribed to TTFS after missing a couple of episodes in a row.

Edit: I also had my ‘what are you most looking forward to’ read out on the Ramble :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god even though I read the punchline on twitter holy poo poo the bit about the guardian' top podcasts absolutely destroyed me

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

julian assflange posted:

Athletico Mince have compiled all the Gangs of the EPL segments into a video: https://youtu.be/9scJWOkvCNo

This is fantastic, but there are a few missing, I think. I was only half paying attention, but didn't hear the Man United toilet one or the England one with Walcott washing his face.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are you talking about the Man Utd one with RoodieToodie the robot?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Are you talking about the Man Utd one with RoodieToodie the robot?

If I remember correctly, there were a few with RoodieToodie. The one I'm thinking of was where they were all in the toilet.

It might be in the compilation, I had it on in the background while doing some stuff.

Seems like there hasn't been a new one in ages.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah Bob is off recording a tv show about fishing with Paul Whitehouse

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
TTFS now has a segment at the end sponsored by and featuring Paddy Power discussing odds on upcoming matches. It makes it feel like talksport and presumably means that they now won't really be able to have any credibility on anything to do with the betting industry.

Shame, cos I actually prefer it to FW in general now. Richardson is always great and there's generally a lot of decent insight and analysis, whereas I feel like Max and Barry in particular are just becoming lazy parodies of themselves.

Ian Macintosh is, as ever, insufferable, though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

TTFS now has a segment at the end sponsored by and featuring Paddy Power discussing odds on upcoming matches. It makes it feel like talksport and presumably means that they now won't really be able to have any credibility on anything to do with the betting industry.

What a strange stick to beat them with. Everything is sponsored by gambling companies.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AthleticoMince/status/936522122331082753

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mickolution posted:

What a strange stick to beat them with. Everything is sponsored by gambling companies.

This is true. But most of the people who appear on the show are journalists, and I do think that the integrity of what is effectively a journalistic enterprise is going to be compromised with this kind of partnership.

Betting companies, and paddy Power in particular, can sometimes be the focus of a story (eg. the bloke who ate that pie, Nick Bendtners pants) in the way that other sponsors aren't, and TTFS will no longer be able to take an unbiased approach to this area of the game.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Who was the Welsh guy on this weeks FW Extra?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

track day bro! posted:

Who was the Welsh guy on this weeks FW Extra?

Elis James. A welsh stand-up. He also has his own football podcast.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really enjoyed his contributions - funny and thoughtful.

Loved the stunned silence as well when Paul Macinness mentioned he was leaving early to have lunch with Jimbo

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
fw with max destroys ttfs and it’s embarrassing as hell for jimbo

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

RideTheSpiral posted:

fw with max destroys ttfs and it’s embarrassing as hell for jimbo

I'm glad that both you and I have found what we like in our respective favorite podcasts.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mickolution posted:

I think there’s a difference between The Football Ramble taking a listener selected bet and putting it on for charity with their sponsored bookmaker, or even Athletico Mince reading out a bet of the week in a jokey manner, compared to ten minutes of Paddy Power shilling advising you to back longshots.

Speaking of which, new Mince!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly I think the funniest part about the Ramble's charity-sponsored bets is that they come in so rarely, it's almost an advertisement for not gambling. It seems like the listeners have done OK this season, but the strike rate is still probably under 50%. Would be interesting to go back over the whole of last season (or even since they started the preview show) and figure out whether they're up or not. My instinct says probably not.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if Bob and Andy have won many of their bets either....the daft kids won’t have got much money

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
just when you thought the tfs couldn't get any worse now they've got a geordie

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
FWE won best football pod and Jimbo had to present them with the award :bisonyes:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

FWE won best football pod and Jimbo had to present them with the award :bisonyes:

Please tell me there's footage of this

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
fw had a guest with a cleft palate voice. why do they do these things.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RideTheSpiral posted:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Where did the E come from?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wooger posted:

Where did the E come from?

Exxxxxxtrrrrraaaaaaa

I have seen a picture of the award but no footage yet.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RideTheSpiral posted:

He is a bit lispy, but that sounds harsh.

Jacqui Oatley speaks like a primary school teacher telling a story to a bunch of 7 year olds.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheMakeleleRole/status/937984698353094657

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Owns

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He missed Max off his thank you list ha

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

This absolutely owns so hard.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The discussion about it on this week's FW was great as well. Also shocked to discover that Elis James is only 37! He sounds ancient and his references are all seriously dated

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

webmeister posted:

The discussion about it on this week's FW was great as well. Also shocked to discover that Elis James is only 37! He sounds ancient and his references are all seriously dated

i thought he was much younger. dated references is part of his act

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
TFS needs to figure out what it wants to be. Right now its a clearly (imo) second rate FW. I knew the two podcasts would cover the same stories naturally but their formatting and coverage are drat near identical. The EPL "narrative" is of course going to be narrow each week and the global football narrative compacted into twenty minutes even more so but the two shows sound like clones of each other. The only real difference is FW leaned a bit more into "football man/lad" territory while TFS is snarkier and talks about social issues and the like. Personally I'd rather hear barry's take on XG than Iain Macintosh talk about the Catalonia independence movement or whatever. TFS having Jules on as a recurring guest is the absolute worst decision possible as well.

The European football show is probably my favorite podcast overall. It beats the others in presentation and content (for me). Since I listen to that I have zero reason the listen to two pl centric shows on top of that so I'm dropping TFS for the time being.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My current weekly listens are The Ramble/Ramble Preview, FW, FWE, On the Continent and The Game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
No Second Captains?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure why but I despise Second Captains....

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I go for Football Weekly and On the Continent. 3 per week is enough.

Every now and then I'll listen to a regular Ramble as well, but never the Friday ones. And I think Athletico Mince is awful.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

No Second Captains?

Not deliberately, never heard of it. Always happy to find new podcasts for my play list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
notthetop20 is a pretty neat podcast if you like hearing about the lower leagues (aka real football)