Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Im gonna run it just to add to the congestion so they shut it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

More announcements about announcements:

quote:

Next week is action packed from a news perspective. In addition to the teasers that we'll be sharing on the forum, Facebook, Twitter and Reddit we'll also have some significant news days as per the following in NZT:

Mon: Abyss League Challenges and Rewards.
Tue: 3.1.0 Balance Development Manifesto.
Wed: 3.1.0 Patch Notes.
Thu: Passive Tree and Item Filter Information.

You won't see the Abyss Supporter Packs or new stash tab before 3.1.0 launches. We don't have a date to announce for these yet, but we'll keep you posted.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Actually while the corpse teleporting totems look fun I haven't done a melee build in a long while. What's cheap and Shaper-tier?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

vOv posted:

Actually while the corpse teleporting totems look fun I haven't done a melee build in a long while. What's cheap and Shaper-tier?

cyclone slayer, dw sunder could prob do it if you could get your dps high enough

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
PATCH

NOTES

FIRST

Sunder's gettin' a trashin', i can feel it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nightwisher posted:

PATCH

NOTES

FIRST

Sunder's gettin' a trashin', i can feel it

Probably. We're not allowed to have tolerable melee skills.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

dis astranagant posted:

Probably. We're not allowed to have tolerable melee skills.

How dare you denigrate Elemental H I can't even finish this sentence with a straight face.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

vOv posted:

5L elemental melee clear skill (Frostblades etc), 6L Molten Strike for Bosses

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Future Patch Notes From Hell posted:

The shockwaves created by hits with Sunder's primary area effect now have a duration before erupting, similar to Earthquake's aftershock. Base duration is 2 seconds. A limit of three shockwaves per skill use. Radius has been reduced by 50%. It is no longer considered a Melee skill, only Attack.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 1, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

J posted:

Easiest thing to do to get your bearings before abyss league would be to make a new character and play through again. They've added an absolute ton of content since you last played, and they've actually also added a tutorial system that is half decent. Your old high level characters are probably sitting in the epilogue area right now and I'm not sure how GGG handled the quest completion status for old characters. Trying to rebuild an old character and get it working at a basic level would be more confusing than just starting from scratch at this point.
Played around for a couple hours and respec'd my summoner and righteous fire guys to run around a bit and see what's different. I'm using old gear of course but RF seems to be nerfed a bit (expected) and summoner is maybe a little weaker. I need to figure out the class ascension thing so will probably start a new build just to run though and see how things have changed.

Good news is my reflect/cwdt/thorns build is still as fun an inefficient as ever

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Summoners have definitely gotten stronger since you last played. Zombies aren't made of tissue paper, Raging Spirits are less numerous but hit way harder, Spectres aren't a total pain in the rear end and Skeletons are actually a viable build now.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

Summoners have definitely gotten stronger since you last played. Zombies aren't made of tissue paper, Raging Spirits are less numerous but hit way harder, Spectres aren't a total pain in the rear end and Skeletons are actually a viable build now.

also the best build in the game is Golementalist imo

just take the hit and look from your corpse as your six flame golems do their thing

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I want to make a cyclone character next league. Does anyone bother with any that aren't Ngamahu's? If I do go for Ngamahu's is there a discussion of the pros cons of the various ascendencies for it? It should be nice without requiring a dying sun if these reflect changes are to be believed.

I killed shaper this league with a cyclone/heavy strike juggernaut doing pure physical damage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just take the hit and look from your corpse as your six flame golems do their thing

Combine with some amazing cast on death?

I'm intrigued, since I tend to die against bosses.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

It's also one of the more expensive builds in the game.

If you plan on actually living through fights- you can just go Golemancer for no real difference in damage output, but a whole lot more survivability.

actually doing mechanics is for tryhards though

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spectres are cheaper, faster, and will kill shaper faster too. It's hard to understand how good spectres are (for now, who knows if they'll be this good in a week).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody remember what they're doing to detonate dead?

I have some...ideas.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr. Despair posted:

Spectres are cheaper, faster, and will kill shaper faster too. It's hard to understand how good spectres are (for now, who knows if they'll be this good in a week).

I hope they don't take too big a hit as I'd like to try them out this league. I dunno the only really broken looking poo poo I've seen is the tukohama vanguard shenanigans so maybe they'll just nerf those guys.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Does anybody remember what they're doing to detonate dead?

I have some...ideas.

It's better in every way but the spell damage part is reflectable.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

I hope they don't take too big a hit as I'd like to try them out this league. I dunno the only really broken looking poo poo I've seen is the tukohama vanguard shenanigans so maybe they'll just nerf those guys.

There's a reason 2/4 top builds in hcssf mayhem are spectres. You can get really good and safe clearspeed out of them in addition to the single target stuff.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I assume it's easy enough to swap from SRS to Spectre / Golem builds? I'm thinking about starting with SRS, then swapping to something more powerful once I get some currency, assuming SRS isn't the best option overall

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Drunk Badger posted:

I assume it's easy enough to swap from SRS to Spectre / Golem builds? I'm thinking about starting with SRS, then swapping to something more powerful once I get some currency, assuming SRS isn't the best option overall

The cool thing about minion builds is that they largely all follow the same main tree. There's only so many minion nodes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, there are a few different end game things you can do depending on specific uniques, but they all sorta go srs until you get the gear or levels to transition, if you decide to transition at all.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drunk Badger posted:

srs + a permanent minion type will do everything but shaper and uber atziri pretty securely

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

srs + a permanent minion type will do everything but shaper and uber atziri pretty securely

they can do both pretty well too, you just have to actually play the game

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

they can do both pretty well too, you just have to actually play the game

i'm bad at that

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

silvergoose posted:

Combine with some amazing cast on death?

I'm intrigued, since I tend to die against bosses.

Nope, you die and the golems just keep killing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8pEDrk4v8

And whats up poe goons. Got super burned out of harbinger. Abyss looks fun.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I know we're still waiting for patch notes, but I'm thinking about playing a Slayer this coming league. What's a solid Slayer league starter, usually? Sunder?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wish there was a better movement skill option for Sunder than Leap Slam.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

Leap slam is one of my favourite movement skills for melee attack based characters but there are alternatives like using a sword in your offhand for whirling blades, e.g. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2012699. Don't know if that build is any good though. You could probably do lycosidae or something too and use shield charge, though I've not seen any sunder builds like that.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

You can use whirling blades if you're offhanding a 3g prismatic eclipse like you should be

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is there an announcement on when the patch goes live? I know the new league is Dec. 8th, but I thought there was some time between patch and league start.

Also I am going to do a bow character or summoner, since I have never done either before, depending on how patch notes look.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think I'm going for a bow character also. Haven't done one in a while, but mostly just for blink arrow.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

nerox posted:

Is there an announcement on when the patch goes live? I know the new league is Dec. 8th, but I thought there was some time between patch and league start.

They're simultaneous

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

..btt posted:

Leap slam is one of my favourite movement skills for melee attack based characters but there are alternatives like using a sword in your offhand for whirling blades, e.g. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2012699. Don't know if that build is any good though. You could probably do lycosidae or something too and use shield charge, though I've not seen any sunder builds like that.

I was using Sunder with my Frostbreath build in harbinger. I suspect if you're using Frostbreath you want to use either Sunder or Frost Blades. Ice Crash has more damage potential but I found it to be awkward to actually use. Earthquake might work too though. Frostbreath should be even stronger in Abyss since you have access to even more flat cold via abyss jewels, and I had some extra gem slots I wasn't doing anything terribly useful with.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 1, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

nerox posted:

Also I am going to do a bow character or summoner, since I have never done either before, depending on how patch notes look.

The entire game will go down 4-5 hours before the new league starts, then the patching server will come up in about an hour so people can get patched then queue up when the game goes live.

e- think im going to do some sort of turn corpses into homing fireballs caster. Probably elementalist or chieftain.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm playing max block Lightning Strike Claw Gladiator in Mayhem right now. It's alright, the DPS is a bit low and I'm not sure why or what I can do about it. My PoB says I have something around 900% total increased damage, 3.7x crit multiplier with Assassin's Mark accounted for, and 89% chance to crit with charges and a Diamond Flask. My Claw is 350 pdps and I wear Lycosidae so I don't miss, and somehow this tops out at around 400k dps on trash mobs with the melee portion. My links are LS - WED - Phys to Lightning - Lightning Pen - Multistrike - Increased Critical Strikes, with a helmet enchant for pierce.

I think Lightning Strike isn't that far off from being great compared to something like Frost Blades. A threshold jewel that improves the single target in the same way that Frost Blades had would go a very long way, and it needs to not be bad around terrain, though it's not bad on a lot of maps I'd want to run anyways. I think if I wanted to go max block again, I'd have to play a non-crit weapon because I would really prefer to go either Aegis Aurora or The Surrender but it's too much a dps loss without Lycosidae. The Anvil is also more or less mandatory, and is a pretty huge DPS penalty compared to a damage neck (3% block corruption Anvil is 11% block, which is worth like 2.5 entire block clusters on the tree).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Jinnigan posted:

How do you get more survivability with an occultist ED/Cont/Blight build? I have basically no gear but right now I've got about 3.5k hp and 3k ES, which is... pretty squishy, and I'm only in white maps.

Or maybe a more inclusive question is: how do I scale up ed/cont/blight occultist from low gear? This is my first time playing this build and I love it a lot but I dunno what to prioritize for gearing. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters??characterName=HeiJinJian

So I like this build a lot, I've improved my equipment to about ~4.5k hp and 4.4k ES, but I still feel pretty squishy - specifically I'm dying a lot in the high yellows, especially on Invasion maps. Any suggestions on how to improve survivability? I guess I could switch over to BV/Decay and grab a cwdt/ic and Vaal Discipline?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Jinnigan posted:

So I like this build a lot, I've improved my equipment to about ~4.5k hp and 4.4k ES, but I still feel pretty squishy - specifically I'm dying a lot in the high yellows, especially on Invasion maps. Any suggestions on how to improve survivability? I guess I could switch over to BV/Decay and grab a cwdt/ic and Vaal Discipline?

The best way to make room for defensive gems in my experience is to shave on your Contagion 4-link. Either just make it Contagion-Arcane Surge so you can also stick Immortal Call on CWDT in there or stick it in your Allelopathy to hurt your Blight damage some but free up an entire 4-link.

On my ED Occultist I dumped Blight entirely because I didn't really care about having super fast single target (and I still killed everything up through Guardians). Then I ran CWDT-IC-Inc. Duration-Vaal Discipline as a defensive 4-link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, I guess I should wait for patch notes/Path of Building update before I start all the theorycrafting.